Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 05-08-2015   #1
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Bob Holt

Man, it's really sad when some awesome performers are taken so soon from us. People like Marilyn Schreffler, Ted Cassidy and Gerald Mohr come to mind.

However, the saddest losses to this wonderful world of voice acting are without a doubt (IMO) Christopher Collins (best known as Chris Latta) and Bob Holt. And in this thread, our focus will be Bob Holt.

Holt started his acting career in 1950, when he was cast as Octavius Caesar in Julius Caesar. 22-year old Holt appeared alongside Charlton Heston's Marc Antony in this adaptation of Shakespeare's play. A very promising start, Holt's performance is full of passion, conviction and energy, fitting for a young character like Octavius.

Between 1951 and 1969, he focused more on regional stage work. His only known on-screen role during this time is a bit part in The Great St. Louis Robbery.

He reappeared once again in 1968 when he started his voice acting career in the short film Johnny Learns His Manners. Another great start, Holt provided the voices for all the characters in the show.

Since then, he became an extremely active performer, playing characters like Dr. Dolittle, The Lorax, The Grinch, Crazylegs Crane, The Dogfather, The Grape Ape, among others.

However, his most well known role came in 1982, when Marvel Productions gave him the role of The Incredible Hulk.

Many Marvel fans I have met think of Bob Holt as the quintessential Hulk. And even though I always think of Lou Ferrigno as the best Hulk ever, I can see why a lot of people like Holt. Check out these clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZgWzXZdBF0

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnj...nknown-hulk_tv

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pyi0j

Those roars were actually provided by Bob Holt himself, and they became part of Sunbow's stock sound library. They were used in Spider-Friends, G.I. Joe and the 1986 Transformers movie.

I must say that even though I've heard a lot of great Hulk roars (mostly in the live-action Hulk show and the Avengers flicks), I've never heard such terrifying and powerful roars like Bob Holt's Hulk roars.

So if I had to choose a favorite roaring Hulk voice, I would definetly pick Holt. I mean, if somebody roared like that, you shouldn't mess with him. Those roars mean BUSINESS!!!

A lot of my friends are convinced that Fred Tatasciore watched the 1982 show as an inspiration for his take on the Hulk. I don't know why they say that, but after I heard him for the first time in 2006, that doesn't seem such a remote possibility.

Sadly, Holt passed away unexpectedly in 1985 when he suffered a heart attack.

Fellow voice performer Michael Bell (who played Bruce Banner in the 1982 cartoon) had great memories about Holt and shared a very hilarious anecdote when he was interviewed about the show:

"One story always gets a laugh amongst those who remember Bob Holt (voice of the Hulk), one of the funniest men in the biz. We were recording the first show and my dialogue consisted of exposition and some angst but nothing you could call real hysterics. Bob, however (having a great set of pipes) had to growl, howl and gnash his teeth when I turned into the Hulk. Then I would come back as Banner and say something like "(sigh)...What happened?""

"After several sequences of similar dialogue, Bob looked at me and said, "That's it...? That's all you have to say, 'What happened'? I spend 6 f*cking pages ripping out my throat and all you have to say is 'What happened' and you get star billing?""

"From then on in it was hard to keep a straight face during my dialogue especially if it preceded a transformation. I couldn't look at Bob because I knew if I did I would break up. I could feel his eyes on me, willing me to look at him and so I went into "control overdrive" for fear of losing it. In between his howling and growling he would look over at me with such mock disgust, I had to muffle my laughter. I knew if I broke up they would have to re-take his howling and he would have really killed me. A truly funny man."

-Michael Bell (http://hulk.toonzone.net/Credits/voi...terviewMB.html)

From what Bell says, Holt seemed like a very hilarious and energetic person with great sense of humor.

RIP Bob Holt (1928-85). Your Hulk roars and your voice work will always be remembered.

Obligatory questions:

1) If Mr. Holt was still alive, which character would you have loved to hear him play???

2) After listening to Holt's roars and performance in the clips above, would you have liked to hear him as the Hulk again if he was still alive???

Hope you post your thoughts about this great performer of the old days.

Last edited by Starscreamsfan; 06-18-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #2
virtual revenger

Default Re: Bob Holt

1 He should have a try as Vision.

2 I would love him to play Hulk or any of his old characters. His last character he played was Cop -tur. I still think that show was cursed despite what anyone says.
virtual revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015   #3
Fulgore2005

Post Re: Bob Holt

Not familiar with the 80s Hulk myself, but I really like Bob's Hulk with what little I have heard of it.

Fulgore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015   #4
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual revenger View Post
1 He should have a try as Vision.

2 I would love him to play Hulk or any of his old characters. His last character he played was Cop -tur. I still think that show was cursed despite what anyone says.
That would have been awesome. I think an accentless and monotone take of his Zarkov voice would have worked for Vision.

Oh, yes. I really think it would have been great to hear his Hulk in a DTV project (like Hulk Vs and Planet Hulk). And yes, his last projects were the Challenge of the GoBots show and The Adventures of the American Rabbit (which was released a year after his death).

Last edited by Starscreamsfan; 05-09-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2015   #5
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulgore2005 View Post
Not familiar with the 80s Hulk myself, but I really like Bob's Hulk with what little I have heard of it.
Oh, yeah. Those roars are just amazing.

You may have heard a Hulk roar come out of Unicron in the 1986 Transformers movie. I'll give you a hint:

When he finds out the Matrix has been passed to Ultra Magnus, Unicron roars. That's one of Holt's Hulk roars.
Old 05-11-2015   #6
Archerboy58

Ever since i first heard his Lorax it has stayed with me ever since. His Hulk and Puppet Master were really good too. He was the Great Grape Ape and the Sneetches and The Once-ler.
Archerboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #7
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerboy58 View Post
Ever since i first heard his Lorax it has stayed with me ever since. His Hulk and Puppet Master were really good too. He was the Great Grape Ape and the Sneetches and The Once-ler.
Yes. His Lorax performance is quite charming. He also provided the sound effects for the Gremlins.
Old 05-11-2015   #8
Metabad

Maybe it's just because he played the Hulk, but I think it'd be interesting if he had a shot at portraying The Thing. It'd also be interesting if he ever actually got to play Unicron himself aside from just the roars (which he did great at from what I remember) I'd also have loved it if he got to reprise his role as the Once-ler in anything, and if he ever got to play just any mad scientist character in general using something like his Grinch voice, which I think would be perfect for that kind of role.

Yeah, it would've been interesting if he ever got to reprise his role as The Hulk, especially since he seemed really passionate about it.
Old 05-12-2015   #9
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
Maybe it's just because he played the Hulk, but I think it'd be interesting if he had a shot at portraying The Thing. It'd also be interesting if he ever actually got to play Unicron himself aside from just the roars (which he did great at from what I remember) I'd also have loved it if he got to reprise his role as the Once-ler in anything, and if he ever got to play just any mad scientist character in general using something like his Grinch voice, which I think would be perfect for that kind of role.

Yeah, it would've been interesting if he ever got to reprise his role as The Hulk, especially since he seemed really passionate about it.
Oh, man, that would have been great. Holt as the Thing would have been brilliant.

He could be a pretty interesting Unicron. Oh, and yeah, he should have reprised his Lorax and Once-ler roles. I always thought Holt could be a very good Prankster using his Grinch voice.

Oh, he was really passionate about his work and he had a lot of range. I mean, if you compare his Puppet Master voice with his Hulk voice, the difference is impressive.
Old 05-15-2015   #10
Darker

Talking Re: Bob Holt

I would love if I saw him doing Hulk sounds in some of the upcoming live-action movies. The Lou Ferrigno touch was nice on him with the first Avengers, but I feel like more Hulk actors deserve a chance of shine with the character once again.
Darker is offline   Reply With Quote