Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 04-03-2015   #1
Troodon2

Default Anime vs American Animation

Have you ever heard people point out the negatives of anime, like:

1. "The voice acting is not as good as original animation." or "Where's Tara Strong, James Arnold Taylor, and who the *BEEP* is Vic Mignogna and why doesn't he do original voice overs?"

2. "The animation is not as good as original animation, they just move their mouths up with no phonemes and down and stand still like rocks.

3. "The character designs look too cutesy and weird. They look like 10 year olds with plastic surgery"

4. "Why do we even watch something from Japan, and is even set in Japan? Why import shows from that country in particular? What's so special about them?"

Please bare in mind these are NOT my words!

How do some of you who like anime respond to said criticisms?

I bring this up because there is alot of debate between japanese anime and manga, and american animation and comics.

People say that american cartoons are for children where as anime is for adult-- if that's the case then Family Guy is quite child friendly, as Hamtaro is the most adult thing I ever saw! (Sarcasm)
But seriously though, animation from both countries gear towards audiences of both demographics, here we have shows clearly meant for older audiences like Futurama and Family Guy, while Japan has shows for younger audiences like Digimon.

But I think one of the defining differences between the two is that when it comes to a general narrative... anime mostly tends to be a bit darker than in american animated shows/films. Adding more drama and higher stakes than we do in our programs be it for older or younger audiences.

Although that's not always the case, as the good O'l USA has it's own fair share of darkening it's animated programs, most of are family friendly btw.

Maybe that's it, or maybe it's just the style...

I don't know, what do you think? What are your responses to what others have to criticize for anime, and why do you think you like it and think it's popular; and which country's shows are better?

Last edited by Troodon2; 04-26-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #2
HienFan

Default Re: Anime vs American Animation

I could say the same of how anime fans hate western cartoons

But anyways it can't help that many anime styled cartoons in America tend to use the most basic stereotype(oh hi Kappa Mikey, Totally Spiez and Loonatics Unleashed) which might cause some perspective to be skewed
HienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #3
GothamRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienFan View Post
I could say the same of how anime fans hate western cartoons

But anyways it can't help that many anime styled cartoons in America tend to use the most basic stereotype(oh hi Kappa Mikey, Totally Spiez and Loonatics Unleashed) which might cause some perspective to be skewed
Loonatics Unleashed was anime styled? I never got that from it, though I don't deny it's true. Also isn't Totally Spies French and Canadian, not American? And seeing a Kappa Mikey was supposed to be a parody of anime, the stereotyping makes sense.

Anyway, the thing to remember is that neither side of this argument without fault. Fans on both sides say blatantly incorrect things that are untrue about the other, generalize, and act like victims whenever the other questions their interest in the other. Both sides have positives and negatives, though several are based on perspective. Just be secure in your interest and don't worry so much what others think.
Old 09-18-2015   #4
Troodon2

I can kind'a see both your points.
Old 09-29-2015   #5
Anicomicgeek

I don't really have a particular side in this debate: both have their upsides and downsides, and I like both anime and western animation equally. However, on a technical level, while a good voice actor can adapt to dubbing, I do prefer pre-lay as a technique for voice acting as I prefer voice actors have more freedom in... well, acting.
Anicomicgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015   #6
Music Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post

Anyway, the thing to remember is that neither side of this argument without fault. Fans on both sides say blatantly incorrect things that are untrue about the other, generalize, and act like victims whenever the other questions their interest in the other. Both sides have positives and negatives, though several are based on perspective. Just be secure in your interest and don't worry so much what others think.
This.
Old 05-29-2016   #7
Troodon2

I see. Anyone else have a say in this trilemma?
Old 05-29-2016   #8
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon2 View Post
I see. Anyone else have a say in this trilemma?
Please don't bump threads.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #9
Troodon2

Sorry.
Old 09-20-2016   #10
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

The acting style is an issue that even the Japanese have with anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answ...6-02-26/.99020

The reason we don't get dubs with the likes of Strong & JAT is basically market. No one is that interested in hearing them, & hearing them won't sell that well. Ghibli has a deal with Disney, because Miyazaki & his hired directors, make high-brow family features, not too much unlike, say, Disney themselves. & Disney uses celebrity talent, similar to their own animated features, for their dubs of Ghibli stuff.

The anime industry isn't as big as Hollywood (who often get stellar Japanese dubs for their stuff), & it's not like they're coming here to spend money...so regardless how good the story is, I don't think we'll get these guys that easily.

Even if One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter, Gundam IBO, & hopefully JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, in a few weeks, gets around 1 million viewers on Saturday midnight.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote