Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 12-05-2014   #1
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Vintage Marvel Cartoons Appreciation Thread

Hey guys. Continuing with my Vintage comic based cartoon threads, I decided to do one about the Vintage Marvel Cartoons.

Since there are very few things related to them, I will also post my thoughts about them.

The Marvel Super Heroes:

The very first Marvel related cartoon was quite great to watch. It was like watching the comic books with sound and some movement. Yes, the animation is painfully limited, but the voice performances are pretty awesome. The CBC cast really gave great performances and Sandy Becker was quite great as the very first Captain America.

1967 Fantastic Four:

My favorite adaptation of the Fantastic Four. The voice actors were well chosen and the stories were quite faithful to the comic books. I'm also a big fan of Joseph Sirola's Doctor Doom, because that's how I imagine Doom to sound. In The Marvel Super Heroes, Doom was voiced by Henry Ramer (from what I've heard), and even though I really love Ramer's voice, I thought it worked better with his other characters (Smythe and Dr. Noah Boddy) rather than Doom. I also loved the fact that Mr. Fantastic sounded like Humphrey Bogart. Even though I loved Gerald Mohr as the Green Lantern, I always thought his voice was a lot more fitting for Mr. Fantastic. Jo Ann Pflug was a great choice for the Invisible Girl and Jac Flounders (Jack DeLeon???) was great as the Human Torch. Paul Frees may be a little bit light for The Thing, but I don't mind, I always thought his voice did fit, because he really brings the character to life and he really managed to be funny.

1967 Spider-Man:

My favorite Vintage Marvel show of all time, and for all the right reasons. Entertaining stories, cool music, dynamic comic book visuals and great voice acting make this show memorable. Spidey was a lot of fun to watch, and his one-liners were really funny. Jameson was quite entertaining in this show and Betty Brant always made me smile whenever she got confused (I'm Betty Bugle of the Daily Brant) and her chemistry with the other characters was quite good. Season 1 is quite good, it has Peter Parker, Jameson and Miss Brant as the main characters while featuring a lot of comic book villains as well as original creations. It's quite hard for me to pick a favorite Season 1 episode, because all of them are entertaining in their own right. Season 2 was radically different in that it delved more with Peter's personal troubles and relationships. The character artwork was also somewhat different but still limited. I absolutely loved the Watercolor backgrounds. My favorite Season 2 episodes will have to be The Origin of Spider-Man, King Pinned, Vine, Home and To Cage a Spider. Season 3 rehashed episodes while still having some new stories. I really didn't mind the rehashed episodes (I still enjoyed them), but Rhino was possibly the weakest (but even then, I still enjoyed it). My favorite Season 3 episodes were The Big Brainwasher and Revolt in the Fifth Dimension. Voice acting was excellent. The CBC actors, led by Bernard Cowan, do an impressive job in giving life to their characters.

1978 Fantastic Four:

Although the casting choices are quite great, the stories are extremely weak. Ted Cassidy and Frank Welker were both great as The Thing and HERBIE, respectively. Mike Road was a neat choice for Mr. Fantastic and Ginny Tyler was also quite a good choice. All of these casting choices are utterly ruined thanks to weak scripts (and some of them were even written by THE MAN* himself) and almost no character development (the 1967 Thing would get depressed because of his appearance while the 1978 Thing didn't care at all about it).

*Smilin' Stan Lee

The Thing:

Although it is quite a departure from the original character, this show is actually quite enjoyable. Even though the Thing's alter ego is quite changed, whenever he becomes the Thing, his personality and mannerisms become those of the Thing we know and love (even down to the Bronx accent). Joe Baker was a great pick for the Thing and the stories, although quite clichéd, were absolutely entertaining.

Spider-Woman:

It's a very cool show. Spider-Woman is quite likeable and the supporting cast is quite good. Joan Van Ark was really good as Spider-Woman (because of this, I'm kinda expecting Vanessa Marshall to play the character, especially since she's Joan's daughter), and whoever played Spider-Man was also quite good (he sounded like Paul Soles at times). Although the main cast was really good, the villains were pretty miscast. The only one who was pretty good was Lou Krugman as Dormammu, but all the other villain performances were sorely lacking and stiff. It's still a decent show, though.

1981 Spider-Man:

This is a decent show. Ted Schwartz is really funny whenever he delivers the one-liners, but unlike Paul Soles or Dan Gilvezan, he has a tendency to sound quite mellow and depressed. What many fans from the 90s Spider-Man don't know is that two voice actors reprised their roles in the 90s cartoon. Linda Gary as Aunt May and Neil Ross as the Green Goblin. However, most of the casting choices are really uninspired, which kinda ruins the experience for me. There still are some good ones, though, and the stories are pretty solid for an 80s show, but it could have used a little bit more work with the casting.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends:

The best of the 1981 Spider-Man cartoons, this show was extremely enjoyable. It had great performances, engaging stories, great casting and great characters. They kept the best casting choices of the previous Spidey show (George DiCenzo as Captain America, Bill Woodson as Jameson and Peter Cullen as the Red Skull), and they replaced all the odd casting choices of the previous show with more fitting and inspired choices. I quite liked Iceman and Firestar, and I think that I may be the only being in the Universe that wasn't annoyed by Ms. Lion. I really didn't mind her existence. We also got the legendary Hans Conried giving an awesome performance as the Chameleon and the extremely talented Christopher Collins as The Sandman and The Beetle. We also got the X-Men and the infamous Aussie Wolverine (played by Neil Ross in this show and Pat Pinney in Pryde). This show also features one of my favorite Dr. Doom performers in the form of Shep Menken and it also features Dennis Marks as the Green Goblin.

1982 Hulk:

A great Hulk cartoon. Mike Bell was an excellent choice for Banner. He really sounds a lot like the late Bill Bixby. As for the Hulk, I always thought Bob Holt was born to play this part (just like Lou Ferrigno). He really nails everything (the anger, the savagery, etc.). The supporting cast was also great. B.J. Ward as Betty Ross, Robert Ridgely as General Ross, Pat Fraley as Talbot and Michael Horton as Rick Jones did a terrific job.

Pryde of the X-Men:

I really liked this one. I wasn't bothered by the Aussie Wolverine here, because his personality was quite close to that of the comics (unlike the Spider-Friends one). I loved every character here. My favorite female X-Members have always been Psylocke and The Dazzler, so it was quite a treat to see Dazzler here (and her voice actress was quite awesome). But the guy who really steals the show here is Earl Boen. He was absolute perfection as Magneto. Previously, Magneto had been played by John Stephenson (1978 Fantastic Four), Walker Edmiston (1981 Spider-Man, from what I've heard) and Mike Rye (Spider-Friends). Stephenson's voice is legendary, but I never thought it screamed Magneto. Edmiston's alright, but it doesn't sound quite powerful. Boen on the other hand (along with Rye), was an excellent choice for the role and I really wish he reprised the role someday.

And now for the goodies...

Spider-Friends Documentary:

Part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRM-14NvGw)

Part 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YHRzP0KP8)

This documentary features a look behind the scenes of the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends show. It also features a meeting between the writers in which Dennis Marks does one of his pretty nifty magic tricks.

Wallopin' Websnappers:

http://www.wallopinwebsnappers.com/index2.htm

A great site about the 1967 Spider-Man (most of my research was taken from here).

80's Spider-Man and Hulk Cartoon sites:

http://spider-man.toonzone.net/

http://www.spider-friends.com/

http://hulk.toonzone.net/

Great sites featuring character bios, cast lists and more.

Hope you enjoy this second thread.

And here's the Vintage DC Appreciation thread just in case you missed it (http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ad.php?t=14114)

Last edited by Starscreamsfan; 06-19-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #2
economics

Default Re: Vintage Marvel Cartoons Appreciation Thread

very interesting
Old 12-23-2014   #3
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by economics View Post
very interesting
Thanks, mac.

By the way, I added thoughts for the 1979 Thing cartoon from the Fred and Barney Meet the Thing show in the first post.
Old 12-23-2014   #4
SupremeTarantulas

Not sure on how much Hanna-Barbera knew, other than the fact Thing's voice was based off Jimmy Durante, and although the show's decent I think they're just trying to make money off how popular Marvel was becoming back then, and Marvel only licensed Thing, or HB only wanted him, and not the rest, and this occred, but either way I'm going out a limb and assuming this how lacks some serious clobberin time, basically the catchphrase itself, don't think he even said that even once on this how, just can't picture it, and he's not thing without it.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014   #5
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Not sure on how much Hanna-Barbera knew, other than the fact Thing's voice was based off Jimmy Durante, and although the show's decent I think they're just trying to make money off how popular Marvel was becoming back then, and Marvel only licensed Thing, or HB only wanted him, and not the rest, and this occred, but either way I'm going out a limb and assuming this how lacks some serious clobberin time, basically the catchphrase itself, don't think he even said that even once on this how, just can't picture it, and he's not thing without it.
If he didn't say it, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Say, what did you think about the other shows I mentioned in the first post???
Old 12-23-2014   #6
Metabad

Out of this list the only one I've seen is 60's Spider-man, which I somehow grew up with despite the fact that I was born in the 90's (only saw a few episodes of the 90's show here and there) but I remember really enjoying it. I loved the iconic theme song and it has my favourite Jameson ever, although back when I was a kid I think I hated him, looking back he had a really good performance, and I think I did sorta secretly enjoy his scheming loud mouthed antics back then.
Old 12-23-2014   #7
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan View Post
If he didn't say it, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Say, what did you think about the other shows I mentioned in the first post???
Think HB would consider that a bit to violent, most of their violence is kid friendly, not saying "It's ok to beat the !@#$ out of people every now and then. This version isn't the Fantastic Four, he's a big lovable tough guy(while he's Thing) but he's civil about it. Their stuff was a departure from Tom & Jerry cartoons Bill & Joe did, and not because it was aimed at tv, because they were family shows while Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes were made for adults. The version of THing in the 60 or 70's cartoon was the Fantastic Four version. Saying It's Clobbering Time!!! would be up there with Fred Jones saying "Let's kick some @$$ gang!!!! or Shaggy saying Like !@#$.

I haven't watched most of them but the 60's series, solo 80's version, Amazing Friends, an episode or two of Spider-woman, (possibly more but I watched the Kingpin and Dracula ones to be specific) and Pryde Of The X-men. I enjoyed them though some acting is a bit meh in Pryde,) mainly Pat's Wolverine, but that wasn't his fault, as there was writing confusion, because of the "dingo" slur used for Pyro. I never watched the Marvel Super Hroes, but like some clips I listened to on here, mainly John Vernon's Submariner and Sandy Becker's Captain America. Paul Kligman and and Peg Dixon were impressive in both Spider-Man and Marvel Super Heroes and while I question some VA's, and think DC's Filmation cast did better in some aspects, that is manly because DC had previious stuff to base their adaptions off of, l mainly, Max Fleisher Superman cartoons and the George Reeves show, Adam West's Batman, plus the fact they used radio actors, and had been doing radio adaptions for quite some time before, in the 40's and 50's, for at Batman and Superman, which is why Filmation, and later n Hanna-Barbera wwere pretty more succesful with their vintage stuff than Marvel, even establishing Vintage Universe in the Hanna-Barbera world thatt went thrugh the 70's 80's, much similar to Bruce Timm's success with DCAU.

Until recently DC was the superior company most aspects, often, outdoing Marvel, now it varies, but both Vintage stuff are shows I enjoy and defend against others who don't, just because it's old it's not automatically terrible.

Oh anyone who says Neil Ross was Wolverine, not Patrick Pinney, hears a post Starscreamfan made in the mistakes forum.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ad.php?t=14085

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 12-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2014   #8
Polyester Funk

I'd seen the 67 Fantastic Four series a long time ago and the only things that I can remember offhand are the team-up of Blastaar, Klaw and Molecule Man(I thought that was an interesting team) and Galactus. Ted Cassidy was Galactus in that one I think. And he certainly had the deep booming voice for such a character. I just wish that he lived longer so that he could have reprised the role some day. I've read that Ted was very tired of getting typecast as the big, dumb oaf because of his large size, and had he lived I assume that he'd have done more voice acting since he was cast by how he sounded and not how he looked. In his short time he did voice some different characters and I'd have to think that would have continued.

I've seen Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but the only thing that is standing out to me right now is Frank Welker's Iceman. He was fun in the role, and well, when isn't Frank Welker great? They did a couple of X-Men episodes did they not? I thought they were kinda fun, though I'm a bit fuzzy as to what happened in them. Was one about Juggernaut and the other about Arcade, or am I thinking of something else?

I thought Pryde of the X-Men was kinda fun. I'm curious to know what would have happened if it got picked up to series. Maybe it wouldn't have been so good as a whole series, but I'd still have liked to have seen some more of it. If they'd have done some specials or one-offs. I wonder if they'd have done one with Apocalypse. I'd suggest Arthur Burghardt as a potential voice. His deep Destro voice would suit him nicely, I think.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #9
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
I'd seen the 67 Fantastic Four series a long time ago and the only things that I can remember offhand are the team-up of Blastaar, Klaw and Molecule Man(I thought that was an interesting team) and Galactus. Ted Cassidy was Galactus in that one I think. And he certainly had the deep booming voice for such a character. I just wish that he lived longer so that he could have reprised the role some day. I've read that Ted was very tired of getting typecast as the big, dumb oaf because of his large size, and had he lived I assume that he'd have done more voice acting since he was cast by how he sounded and not how he looked. In his short time he did voice some different characters and I'd have to think that would have continued.

I've seen Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but the only thing that is standing out to me right now is Frank Welker's Iceman. He was fun in the role, and well, when isn't Frank Welker great? They did a couple of X-Men episodes did they not? I thought they were kinda fun, though I'm a bit fuzzy as to what happened in them. Was one about Juggernaut and the other about Arcade, or am I thinking of something else?

I thought Pryde of the X-Men was kinda fun. I'm curious to know what would have happened if it got picked up to series. Maybe it wouldn't have been so good as a whole series, but I'd still have liked to have seen some more of it. If they'd have done some specials or one-offs. I wonder if they'd have done one with Apocalypse. I'd suggest Arthur Burghardt as a potential voice. His deep Destro voice would suit him nicely, I think.
Ted was in the 1967 series, the 70's one didn't have Galactus. He also did Brainiac coincidentally in the 70''s for Super Friends. Amazing Friends I caught all episodes when Disney aired them on tv and loved them. There was Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Chameleon, Kingpin, Dracula, Dr. Doom, Magneto, Red Skull, and Loki just to name a few. The Juggernaut episode did happen, but Arcade, there was an origin episode with the X-men, for both Firestar and Ice-Man, and Spidey got his origin as ewell, featuring Shocker's animated debut. Pryde of the X-men wouldn't have been the same as TAS, Cal Dodd's defined Wolverine, i feel the Australian accent would have ruined the character. I like the line-up and I think other members could have been introduced or appeard, probably some Phoenix, Sentinels, Apocalypse, and Mr. Sinister type stories, but TAS handled everything better, though my brother loved the arcade game based off Pryde as kids/
Old 12-25-2014   #10
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Ted was in the 1967 series, the 70's one didn't have Galactus. He also did Brainiac coincidentally in the 70''s for Super Friends. Amazing Friends I caught all episodes when Disney aired them on tv and loved them. There was Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Chameleon, Kingpin, Dracula, Dr. Doom, Magneto, Red Skull, and Loki just to name a few. The Juggernaut episode did happen, but Arcade, there was an origin episode with the X-men, for both Firestar and Ice-Man, and Spidey got his origin as ewell, featuring Shocker's animated debut. Pryde of the X-men wouldn't have been the same as TAS, Cal Dodd's defined Wolverine, i feel the Australian accent would have ruined the character. I like the line-up and I think other members could have been introduced or appeard, probably some Phoenix, Sentinels, Apocalypse, and Mr. Sinister type stories, but TAS handled everything better, though my brother loved the arcade game based off Pryde as kids/
I too loved that arcade game based on Pryde. I've never been much of a gamer, but every time I saw that somewhere I had to play it. I just thought it lots of fun.

I probably wouldn't have liked Wolverine as much if I only knew the Australian accented one. Cal Dodd did such a great job on TAS. There are some things and characters I'd have liked to seen Pryde tackle, but TAS was better. I think I did see Pryde a long time ago when I was a little kid, but I watched it earlier this year on YouTube so that's why I got kinda curious to know what could have happened if it continued. As an adult now, I'd have liked to have seen it include Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Phoenix, etc., but if it was what I knew of the X-Men from childhood I might not have been as into the team as I am. I have to think that came from the 90s series, which was very well done.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote