View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015   #4
Skullgrin140

Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

I certainly name a couple of names, not 10 as I'm not too familiar with that many but the best I can list off are 5.

1. Jack Fletcher

One of the most underrated and overlooked voice directors in the business today, his direction work in video games like Final Fantasy X as well as Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are examples of why Video Games can be considered art at times. Because Jack manages to make that so with his direction of the actors in the games he works on to give them the right performances needed to be iconic and memorable, it's the same with his anime work when he worked with Urban Vision and he did such a great job with choosing the right voices for each character and not leaving a single stone un-turned with trying to get the character sounding 100% right.

2. Wally Burr

What's needed to be said about Wally is that he was a perfectionist when it came to the cartoons he worked on in the 80's. Show's like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem etc would not be what they are without his involvement and pushing the talent he recruited to their limits and bring out their full potential and make something remembering for generations.

3. Steve Foster

I don't think Steve Foster get's nearly enough notice as he does, I have often noticed people are rather hateful towards his work when I actually think it's mixed in places. On the off hand he has directed products like Captain Harlock, Appleseed, Steel Angel Kurumi masterfully well that show the effort behind the direction to give good performances from the actors he directs. On the other hand with his work on things like Golgo 13 (with the slight miscasting of the lead role) it leaves alot to be desired, it's a shame Steve retired because his demonstrated effort at proper voice direction is what companies like Funimation need.

4. Susan Blu

Apart from her voice work I think Susan's directional work is a high point in her career that leaves a bigger impression on what she has done. Her direction on Beast Wars, Beast Machines, TMNT & Transformers Animated is excellently well done, especially since with shows like Beast Wars she worked in Vancouver to bring names like David Kaye, Scott Mcneil etc to the front and breath life into characters that were new to the franchise at the time that people instantly remember for the way they behaved and sounded.

5. Karl Willems

The Ocean Group have some wide variety of voice directors that bring something different to each show they work on, biggest one I can think of is names like Karl Willems. I'd say his involvement is why show's like Death Note, Cybersix, X-men Evolution, Escaflowne and many others is why they were big successes to some audiences when he recruited the right names in mind to create what he did.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote