View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015   #83
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

In Melee I loved going on the Pokemon Stadium stage, setting the items to Poke Balls only, and then just throwing them at each other in order to simulate a Pokemon battle. Good times.

The original Pokemon Trainer's been axed, since his Pokemon-switching gimmick was apparently too much for the 3DS to handle. The devs apparently decided that it wasn't worth the effort to bring back Squirtle and Ivysaur as individual fighters, so that's why Charizard was made into a solo character this time around. Honestly, even though it was an accident, I'm actually quite pleased with the lack of transforming characters and think that it improved the game as a whole. Characters like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus feel much more complete and satisfying to play as now that they're not tied to Zelda and Suited Samus, and Greninja and Mewtwo more than make up for the loss of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

The next system will obviously have greater processing power so I wouldn't be surprised if the developers choose to revisit the Pokemon Trainer idea. I don't see Charizard going back to his original, non-individual state, so the original Pokemon Trainer is probably gone for good in his original form. My guess is if they were to revisit PT, they'd probably just start fresh with a new team of pokemon. As time goes on, there are only going to be more and more Pokemon, and lumping them all under one roof would be a convenient way of incorporating them. We're at generation 6 right now, and if generation 8 is the newest at the time of Smash 5, I think it'd be cool if we got an individual pokemon from generation 8, and then a trainer who uses pokemon from generations 3, 5, and 7. We have more than enough from Kanto as is so I would prefer if the new Trainer allows the generations that haven't been represented to get their chance in the limelight. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were still recent games at the time of Brawl so I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the original PT didn't have any Hoenn Pokemon in his team.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote