View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020   #3
IMB

Default Re: Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous

Are any of these teens trained in gymnastics by any chance? I hear that's really effective against the raptors.

I think the biggest issue is that Jurassic Park as a concept doesn't lend itself well to becoming a never-ending franchise of movies and TV shows. "Man plays God, gets bitten" can only be told so many times before it feels tired. The same goes for the rescue stories. I don't think it's a coincidence that both the original trilogy and the World duo faced diminishing box office returns with each sequel. The novelty of seeing dinos on the big screen wears off and narratively, they've been on thin ice since the start. There's a reason Crichton's original novel ended the way it did.

This is all worsened by the fact that the franchise is a four quadrant summer blockbuster aiming to please every demographic. That limits the kind of stories you can tell. How many times have dumb kids narrowly escaped being dino dinner in this franchise? Too many times, and this show seems centred on that. Got to give lil' Tyler someone to self-insert as so he remembers to beg mom and dad for the latest toys. It worked on us.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote