View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019   #4
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: History of Canadian voice acting

I'm going to have to trim a lot of fat, but your post is based on a huge amount of unfounded assumptions and otherwise strange claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyyahar View Post
I can't speak on to Calgary being cheap at all, but I'm 100% positive it's cheaper than Vancouver, from what I can gather.
If you can't figure this out then we're in trouble.

Quote:
I also find it amusing that an American cultural semi-equivalent to Calgary, Alberta is Houston, Texas and both wound up being voice acting centers, especially for English anime dubs.
How are Calgary and Houston equivalent to each other?

Quote:
As for non-Japanese animation and any video games, a split comes in:
It is unclear what you mean by split. The following explanation does not involve splitting.

Quote:
Calgary has both a higher proportion of non-anime animation voice acting and a higher proportion of video game voice acting.
Higher proportion relative to WHAT? This is not a coherent claim.

Quote:
However, I imagine a big reason why Houston gets voice work in ANYTHING that ADV/ Section23 doesn't feed them is because a lot of video game developers are based in nearby Austin and they can't always manage to outsource the acting.
This is nonsensical. You say that Austin based companies outsource to Houston because they are unable to outsource their voice work. If they were unable to outsource voice work they would do it in Austin itself.

Quote:
This tells me there must be a decent amount of animation studios and animation-adjacent companies in Calgary's vicinities, even if basically none of them came before Blue Water.
[citation needed]

Quote:
Houston productions have also had an apparently longer/ easier time to find a foothold- as much of Austin's voice-acted work isn't as successful as the stuff from Houston. Why San Antonio doesn't do much, despite having more people, being comparatively cheap, and being even closer than Houston to Austin is explained by the fact San Antonio just lacks the aforementioned foothold Houston has
This is circular logic. You are effectively saying, "Houston does more voice work than San Antonio because Houston does more voice work than San Antonio." You fail to explain why this "foothold" exists.

Quote:
I am miffed a bit how in spite of the fact most major American companies focus on English-language media, and any other language being an afterthought or the job of a contractor, that a predominantly French-speaking place became Toronto's understudy (for voice acting, at least).
Because there are a ton of English speaking people in Montreal. Quebec in general is one of the most bilingual places in the world.

Quote:
I am aware that Montreal has a large amount of anglophones for French Canada,
A fact you apparently know.

The fact of the matter is that English is a much more widespread language than French, or really any other language, so internationally released media is likely going to be in English.

Side note: What does it mean to become Toronto's "understudy"?

Quote:
but what prevented Ottawa, London, Kitchener, or Halifax from being used before the west coast boom?
Because it's BIG. The English speaking population of Montreal probably outstrips the ENTIRE population of Ottawa, the biggest city you named. As for the others... Kitchener? Really?

Quote:
My best guess is that French-language productions were the original meat of the Montreal scene, and English Canada talent sorta crept in when English versions of them were needed but Toronto wasn't usable for some reason; so Montreal-English dubs got a rep for outsourcer
But why? Why would Toronto projects "creep" into Montreal? I don't think that's it at all. IMB mentioned Cinelume, which is a Montreal founded company which was producing English dubs all the way back in the sixties. And even today Montreal is home to a variety of internationally linked companies, such as the Canadian arms of several massive game developers. The English VO industry in Montreal looks pretty home grown to me.

"She asked to borrow some sweatpants. Does that mean anything?" -SNaG on life's greatest mysteries.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 07-01-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote