View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019   #12
SNaG
Contributor

Default Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

Man, that direct was beautiful. I'm still not sure what version I'm getting since nothing here is enticing me towards one version or the other (please bring back difficulty modes please) but I am digging the aesthetic of the Galar region. One of the things Ohmori really emphasized in Sun and Moon was making the world feel inhabited by Pokemon outside of Pokemon battles, and the Wild Areas just feel like the next big step. Roaming around and actually seeing the Pokemon in the field? I've been playing Pokemon for nearly 20 years and that stuff just frigging blows me away!

I really dig the designs in this generation. They're sleek and none of them seem to have too much going on yet. The exceptions are the legendaries.... to be honest, I think they're the blandest looking main series legendaries yet, even compared to Reshiram and Zekrom, which were pretty monochromatic. I dunno, they seem more like a legendary fit for a legendary trio than something truly majestic to be the mascot. A trifling complaint, as it were.

Dynamaxing is HELLA cool. I'm excited for that and the raids. Though I'm kinda getting irked by the constant shoving aside of the previous generation's gimmick, haha. Mega Evolution got the shaft in Gen VII for Z-Moves and now it looks like Z-Moves are getting the shaft too. Would be nice if GF kept giving a few new Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves in a way that didn't detract from Dynamaxing, rather than omiting them entirely.

TL;DR VERY excited, day 1 buy for sure.