View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014   #1
rosebr10

Default Interview with the original English voice of Mewtwo

15 years ago today, Pokémon The First Movie premiered in US theatres nationwide. In the midst of Pokémania, this movie delved into the philosophy of cloning and, in the case of the dubbed version, the morality of genetic engineering. This was spearheaded by Pokémon #150, Mewtwo, voiced by someone completely unfamiliar to the typical Saturday morning watcher... and contrary to popular belief, he's still very much alive! And so, without further ado, I bring you:

The Goede, The Bad, and The Bartlett

This past Friday the 24th I sent my first message to Mr. Goede in hopes of any reply whatsoever.

My faith rewarded me on Halloween night, with the ultimate confirmation from the man himself: Jay Goede and Philip Bartlett were one in the same. Why the use of an alias when his real name was used for Pokémon Live? You’ll find the answer below, as well as the origin of said alias.

Now you’re probably asking yourself “Then who’s the Phillip Bartlett that died around the time Dan Green succeeded him?” That is a mystery seemingly lost to the sands of time I’m afraid, as not even the person responsible for "Bartlett's" Find-A-Grave page has had any personal contact (as I had previously mentioned here), though the coincidence of both the name and the state of birth are nothing less of an eerie coincidence to be sure. Fortunately, this is no longer to be the case as of this day.

Unsure of Mewtwo’s other major appearance in the media (Pokémon Puzzle League), I messaged Goede once more (as seen in the above image) to make absolute certain of the range of his contributions to the franchise. What I got was more than I could have hoped for… again.

In addition to providing a definite deconfirmation for the N64 video game (meaning that it’s most likely Dan Green before he "Yami"-ed it up unless I hear otherwise), it was also revealed that he was the voice of Mewtwo’s creator, Dr. Fuji, who had a few good lines of his own (ignore the edit; it’s this or nothing). It was neither the other actor exclusive to the movie (Eric Grossfeld) or Maddie Blaustein (as sites such as Bulbapedia somehow concluded); it was also Goede. However, for the new scenes created and dubbed for later home releases of the film, he was clearly replaced by the anime’s assistant voice director Eric Stuart, who also played a younger version of the Genetic Pokémon (again, not Blaustein). You know the rest: Dan Green took the mantle for the DTV sequel, Mewtwo Returns.

I thanked Mr. Goede for his time and all his help for not only the answers he provided today, but for the inspiration he gave us all those years ago.

Last edited by rosebr10; 11-13-2014 at 01:26 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote