Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   Whose Voice is This? (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Kirby: Right Back at Ya! (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17930)

technickal 05-13-2016 07:42 PM

Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

Kirby's oft-forgotten anime adaptation. Oh yeah, and 4Kids dubbed it.
We know all the Japanese VAs, so I'm focusing on the dub cast.

There are two sets of English credits I could find. One is from season 1 (that is, episodes 1-44), and one is from the movie finale.

For the first batch:

Voice Director
Andrew Rannells

Lead Voices
Ted Lewis
Kerry Williams
Kayzie Rogers
Makiko Oomoto

Additional Voices by
Amy Birnbaum
Maddie Blaustein
Dan Green
Tara Jayne
Kevin Kolack
David Lapkin
Jerry Lobozzo
Ellen Lee
Nappy
Mike Pollock
Andrew Rannells
Eric Stuart

And the second:
Voice Directors
Ron London
Andrew Rannells
Julie Rath

Lead Voices
Ted Lewis
Kerry Williams
Kayzie Rogers
Makiko Oomoto

Additional Voices by
Amy Birnbaum
Maddie Blaustein
Dan Green
Michael Haigney
Kevin Kolack
David Lapkin
Jerry Lobozzo
Nappy
Lisa Ortiz
Mike Pollock
Andrew Rannells
Eric Stuart
Veronica Taylor

So yeah, it's a mess. Especially when combined with the fact that this series hasn't had as much research done on it as 4Kids' other dubs like Yu-Gi-Oh or Sonic X or Pokémon, and the fact that I haven't been able to find the credits for the remaining episodes (meaning some potential VAs might be missing) and the fact that some voice actors left down the line. At least 4Kids VAs are fairly recognizable by ear.

Sites like the Kirby Wikia and Absolute Anime have some additional (but dubious, some aren't listed in either credits list) credits up, but here's what's confirmed.

Kirby: Makiko Oomoto (his English speaking VA, like when he says "Name, Tiff!" is up in the air though. I always thought it was just Oomoto dubbing herself like in SSB4, but some sites have a different VA listed.)
Tiff: Kerry Williams
Tuff: Kayzie Rogers
Meta Knight: Eric Stuart
King Dedede: Ted Lewis
Escargoon: Ted Lewis
Waddle Doo: Maddie Blaustein
Salesguy: Dan Green
Nightmare/eNeMeE: Andrew Rannells
Blade Knight: Eric Stuart
Mayor Blustergas: Mike Pollock
Tokkori: Kevin Kolack
Chef Kawasaki: Maddie Blaustein
Tuggle: Maddie Blaustein
Melman: Maddie Blaustein
Biblio: Maddie Blaustein
Gus: Eric Stuart
Samo: Mike Pollock

...And that's about it. We have to figure out everyone else. It may seem like a lot already, but there's dozens of more characters to tackle. Told you this dub is a mess.

Bry 05-24-2016 05:13 PM

Re: Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

Yo. I do think I have some stuff.

According to the Kirby Wiki, Chief Bookem was voiced by two VAs; Jerry Lobozzo and Andrew Rannells, from different points in the series.

Here is an episode where Lobozzo voices Bookem, sounding a lot like his Dox from Yu Gi Oh.

Here is one from later in the series. You can hear his shades of Andrew's Archie Andrews, except way gruffier.

I think Maddie Blaustein might be Professor Curio, his voice sounds a ton like her takes on James' Father and Solomon Muto.

Knuckle Joe and Rick the Hamster could be Andrew Rannells, too.

It's obvious that Chef Shiitake is Mike Pollock.

technickal 05-26-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosty404 (Post 113702)
Yo. I do think I have some stuff.

According to the Kirby Wiki, Chief Bookem was voiced by two VAs; Jerry Lobozzo and Andrew Rannells, from different points in the series.

Here is an episode where Lobozzo voices Bookem, sounding a lot like his Dox from Yu Gi Oh.

Here is one from later in the series. You can hear his shades of Andrew's Archie Andrews, except way gruffier.

I think Maddie Blaustein might be Professor Curio, his voice sounds a ton like her takes on James' Father and Solomon Muto.

Knuckle Joe and Rick the Hamster could be Andrew Rannells, too.

It's obvious that Chef Shiitake is Mike Pollock.

Cool beans.

I found the Season 2 and 3 credits. They're identical to Season 1's, save for the fact that Ellen Lee is out and Lisa Ortiz is in (I suspect Ellen Lee was her alias).

Oh, I forgot, Kayzie Rogers confirmed she was Lady Like. I think she's Mabel too. Kirby Wikia attributes the role to Lisa Ortiz, but she sounds a lot like Miranda from the first Pokémon movie.

Yeah, listening to those two clips, there was definitely a recast for Chief Bookem. Jerry Lobozzo and Andrew Rannells sound about right. I think Lobozzo could also be Sword Knight.

Andrew Rannells for Knuckle Joe? That's a good lead. Everyone seems to be stumped about his English VA.

Chef Shiitake is definitely Mike Pollock. He also confirmed he was Kit Cosmos.

Think you can figure out Kabu's English VA? I would say Dan Green, but he appears to have been replaced in the Kirby 3D short, where Green returned to voice the Salesguy. So I dunno.

rosebr10 05-26-2016 10:54 AM

I'm not sold on Curio being Blaustein. The voice isn't nearly gravely enough. And there's still an entirely untapped pool in Nappy. Excellent observation on Ellen Lee, though; if Ortiz' first appearance in the show was early enough it can be justified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by technickal (Post 113846)
Cool beans.
I think she's Mabel too. Kirby Wikia attributes the role to Lisa Ortiz, but she sounds a lot like Miranda from the first Pokémon movie.

Mabel is Amy Birnbaum, by route of G.I. Joe Sigma 6's Baroness, and it's the recurring role that got her her place on the cast credits. The connection between Birnbaum and Rogers lies with Max from Pokemon - extending that outward, and combining it with Rogers' main cast Kirby credit, and it's no wonder it caused Rogers' presence to overshadow Birnbaum... though maybe with a little help from another show...

Then there's GI Joe. While "Kayzie Rogers" is not present, people would just write her off as being Wendy Gaunt (with Birnbaum being Scarlett; 2 main girls and 2 females in the main cast). It's the opposite. Just envision a husky Tea Gardner. That's her Mabel and Baroness in a nutshell. Wendy Gaunt, whoever she may be, was the one Veronica Taylor replaced when the former went poof.

David Lapkin's association with Sir Ebrum makes the most sense characteristically speaking. His profile really didn't become noticeable until F-Zero's John Tanaka. There just isn't another directly relatable character.

Fololo and Falala are Tara Sands. 'Lolo's not too distant from Ritchie and the like, and plus Jayne is credited from the start, while Taylor is not. That Taylor is associated with them is simply outdated and unfounded skepticism.

As for Kirby in Episode 1... tell me you don't at least get Charmy Bee and Dustox out of that exchange. The "Fololo, Falala" line is the only really awkward one that gets in the way of the Birnbaum connection.

A-Log 05-26-2016 11:25 AM

Nappy is actually Jim Napalitano. You can do a Google search on the guy and you'll see his credits, as well as his work as a puppeteer. From what he told me, he voiced one of the Cappy kids.

Bry 05-26-2016 11:39 AM

Huh, I found him.

http://i.imgur.com/QnqBmmM.jpg

Source: http://audramayphotography.blogspot....s-weekend.html

Cool.

I think Dan Green might be Whispy Woods. You can hear Yami Yugi.

NCZ 05-26-2016 11:45 AM

Hmm, I don't hear Dan Green for Whispy... Andrew Rannells is definitely rick and the second Bookem, but I'm not sure on Knuckle Joe. I'm not familiar with Jerry Lobozzo's range I'll admit, nor Nappy or David Lapkin for that matter.

FWIW Nappy's been on here for a while.

SmartyBoyboy 05-26-2016 12:21 PM

I've looked on this page, but there's no entry for the great big wooden Kabu. I know that Nobuo Tobita is his Japanese VA, but we've yet to decipher who played him in English. It could be the one of the credited male voice actors as shown above.

Side note: I remember Chef Kawasaki's voice very fondly, sound kinda like Ed Wynn. I think Maddie Blaustein used a similar voice for Wally Tusket/Seiuchin in Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy.

Metabad 05-26-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosty404 (Post 113702)
Knuckle Joe could be Andrew Rannells, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by technickal (Post 113846)
Andrew Rannells for Knuckle Joe? That's a good lead. Everyone seems to be stumped about his English VA.

I actually heard that Knuckle Joe was Maddie Blaustein before. That said, listening to it again I don't think I can hear it. Not really sure who that is, but I guess it could be Rannels. Hard to say.

NCZ 05-26-2016 04:08 PM

Maybe Kevin Kolack is Knuckle Joe?