Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   Casting Call (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Suggestions/Improvements (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7221)

Foxwolf 01-22-2013 10:52 PM

Suggestions/Improvements

Have any suggestions on how Casting Call could be improved? Maybe there's a new feature you'd like to see.

Would love to hear what's cooking on your brain :)

Pokejedservo 01-27-2013 08:50 PM

Re: Suggestions/Improvements

First of all is it possible for a character to have 6 audition lines? Cause I know its supposedly traditional to go with 5 but I was thinking of using 6 lines (as it is a nice even number). However I do understand that the amount of audition lines should not be anymore than 6 though.

Anyways I was thinking of a few ideas...

For the Character info under the "Age" and over the "Characteristics/Notes" we can have two other little info categories as well such as...

Voice Tone:
High
Moderately High
Medium
Moderately Low
Low
Any

Accent: (And the producer would just type in the accent here and if they don't want an accent just leave it blank.)

Though the latter can of course be optional though I am also thinking for the "Casting Call" section on our profiles we can make a little profile for ourselves. Namely if we want to we can fill out certain areas like this...

Voice Tones/Types:
Accents:
Can you sing?:
Resume/Website:
Available for Scouting?:

And things like that, what do you think?

Foxwolf 01-29-2013 04:08 AM

So the issue right now for more than 3 audition lines is the layout is restricted to 3. However, if there are enough requests for it, I'll certainly be willing to re-work it to accommodate more.

The purpose of Age was to give a ballpark range for anyone who auditions. The characteristics/notes is where the specifics some into play and where I think the specifics can be placed like Voice Tone and Accent. I've noticed at least in one project so far that a VA is mentioned as a voice template for a character, which I think would be common for projects that use characters that have already been voiced.

As for your last question, don't forget there's going to be a Voice Acting Portfolio feature created where all of those areas will be covered.

Pokejedservo 01-29-2013 10:14 AM

1. Understood but to be honest I hope you at least make it more than 3 since 3 seems to be a bit too small of a number for me regarding the amount of audition lines. (Unless of course its for a really small role that only had about one or few lines but thats a different story.)

2. Fair enough I can see what you mean there on how "Characteristics/Notes" can be used like that.

3. Sounds good, I'll definitely look forward to that.

Druoxtheshredder 03-29-2013 06:12 AM

I'd love if we could sort the auditions by the type of project or format of said project so it would be easier for people to find the kind of project they want to audition for.

For now that's all I'd need personally, I really like how the current format is. 3 lines is fine, and doesn't take up too much space so it's easy to scroll through the characters.

I'm so happy to see this site has grown from the last time I was here. I'll be visiting here more often now.

Foxwolf 03-29-2013 10:49 AM

Forgive me, I just woke up but you mentioned sorting auditions as well as finding projects by type/format.

Could you give me a couple of examples (and pages) of what you're referring to? Is this just on the page that lists all the projects?

Thanks, it'll help me nail down exactly what needs to be done.

Pokejedservo 03-29-2013 12:26 PM

Well I do have an idea that I wonder if it could work for auditions and it is to allow producers to provide a "sample voice" for characters.

What do I mean by this? Simple often enough in various productions producers want the people who are auditioning to try to imitate a certain voice as much as possible. This is common for adaptations in which producers will provide a clip of the characters' official English or Japanese voice. But this can be used for original productions in which producers can use a sample clip in which it will give us an idea of what kind of voice they want for a character. The clip can go underneath the character's picture and one could potentially play the clip if they so want to. But the question is how to use this idea...

One idea is that if the producer wants to pick a sample clip for a character then they could use one of the several audio clips in the site. They would then access a search menu where you can search through the sound clips on the site until they find one that they would want and use it as the sample clip for that character for the Casting Call. However the only potential problems are that while there are plenty of sound clips in the site but there are plenty of TMG's that have little to no sound clips at all and that the majority of them are English so certain producers may find our selection rather limiting. So in other words we may get plenty of requests to add certain sound clips to the site more if we did this idea.

Or we could allow producers to upload their own clips for the characters in their productions that way they are not limited to what we have. However this would also be a bit more difficult to regulate (even if producers use some rather questionable choices for clips though). But it would at least give them a bit more freedom over which sound clips they use as a "sample clip" for the character auditions.

But either way characters only get one "sample clip" each and this will be optional since I am well aware that there are producers who encourage people to come up with their own takes on characters.

BlaiseDemon 08-07-2013 05:40 PM

I would like to suggest a FEEDBACK Feature. Kind of like the way eBay does. If someone who has auditioned and been cast in a project does not deliver their lines in a timely fashion, they can be rated and commented upon. Works the other way too, if someone is very responsive and easy to work with they get a high rating and can be commented on as well.

Foxwolf 08-07-2013 06:48 PM

This is a brilliant idea BlaiseDemon :applause: You could take it even further and apply it to project owners. I know there is at least one member who unrealistically churns out new projects one after the other so giving feedback to project owners would work as well. eg. Are they a good/trustworthy "seller"?

So to use your ebay analogy:
Audition-ers = Buyers
Project Owners = Sellers

BlaiseDemon 08-07-2013 07:04 PM

I think that would be a great idea. Sometimes one never knows if they are dealing with a legit project coordinator or not. We may even be able to do categories like, met deadline, project coordinator began production rapidly or dragged their feet. Dir the auditioner (buyer) receive a copy of the finished work in a timely manner, etc... I like it!

jd95 08-08-2013 09:54 AM

What about a way to contact each other instead of just leaving comments. PM'ing or something similar?

Foxwolf 08-08-2013 10:52 AM

You can do private and visitor messaging in the forums.

Pokejedservo 08-08-2013 11:02 AM

BlaiseDemon's "Feedback" idea does sound interesting... Though FW did you see this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokejedservo (Post 50077)
Well I do have an idea that I wonder if it could work for auditions and it is to allow producers to provide a "sample voice" for characters.

What do I mean by this? Simple often enough in various productions producers want the people who are auditioning to try to imitate a certain voice as much as possible. This is common for adaptations in which producers will provide a clip of the characters' official English or Japanese voice. But this can be used for original productions in which producers can use a sample clip in which it will give us an idea of what kind of voice they want for a character. The clip can go underneath the character's picture and one could potentially play the clip if they so want to. But the question is how to use this idea...

One idea is that if the producer wants to pick a sample clip for a character then they could use one of the several audio clips in the site. They would then access a search menu where you can search through the sound clips on the site until they find one that they would want and use it as the sample clip for that character for the Casting Call. However the only potential problems are that while there are plenty of sound clips in the site but there are plenty of TMG's that have little to no sound clips at all and that the majority of them are English so certain producers may find our selection rather limiting. So in other words we may get plenty of requests to add certain sound clips to the site more if we did this idea.

Or we could allow producers to upload their own clips for the characters in their productions that way they are not limited to what we have. However this would also be a bit more difficult to regulate (even if producers use some rather questionable choices for clips though). But it would at least give them a bit more freedom over which sound clips they use as a "sample clip" for the character auditions.

But either way characters only get one "sample clip" each and this will be optional since I am well aware that there are producers who encourage people to come up with their own takes on characters.

jd95 08-08-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxwolf (Post 58771)
You can do private and visitor messaging in the forums.

Oh, I know. But it would be a nice way for people to contact one another outside the forums. I know a couple of people who don't use the forums but use the main site.

Hendercrazy 08-31-2013 04:11 PM

Now that we've all had a chance to use the Casting Call for awhile... there are a few things that might be useful in making it a more complete experience.

It would be great if there was a highlighted box option at the very top of each project where the project owner could drop a link to the finished project audio, video, ect. so anyone who is interested in following up on/hearing the final production can do so. Afterall, entertaining folks is what this is all about... and it would also be nice to give said project/voice actors a bit of exposure too. :) This might encourage more people to give their voice and auditioning for future projects a shot. :)

This next suggestion might be too much to ask... but it would be great if there was an option to "follow" or "like" a project. Anyone that does so... would then be sent an e-mail anytime there is a new audition, update or new comments on the project. This might help folks not miss important things going on with the project.

I'm with everyone else that has already suggested the rating experience/reputation option with project owners/voice actors. That could really play a pivoting role with how projects are cast or auditions are chosen in the future, outside of just mere performance.

Beyond that, I've loved it so far. :D

AtemLover24 09-04-2013 08:20 PM

I would like suggest for an improvement is. To add a remove project on your profile after it closes. Because if you have your project done, you don't need actors or actresses anymore for that project to remove it.

Foxwolf 09-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendercrazy (Post 59863)
It would be great if there was a highlighted box option at the very top of each project where the project owner could drop a link to the finished project audio, video, ect. so anyone who is interested in following up on/hearing the final production can do so. Afterall, entertaining folks is what this is all about... and it would also be nice to give said project/voice actors a bit of exposure too. :) This might encourage more people to give their voice and auditioning for future projects a shot. :)

So while it's not highlighted, there is an optional field called "Completed Project URL" that owners can update. The status of the project also needs to be "Completed" in order for the URL to appear.

Quote:

This next suggestion might be too much to ask... but it would be great if there was an option to "follow" or "like" a project. Anyone that does so... would then be sent an e-mail anytime there is a new audition, update or new comments on the project. This might help folks not miss important things going on with the project.
Yeah, I was thinking about this too, like the way people follow artists on DeviantArt.

Quote:

I'm with everyone else that has already suggested the rating experience/reputation option with project owners/voice actors. That could really play a pivoting role with how projects are cast or auditions are chosen in the future, outside of just mere performance.
This is a big one (in terms of what it would take to build) but it would certainly increase the integrity of the system and the members that use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtemLover24 (Post 60038)
I would like suggest for an improvement is. To add a remove project on your profile after it closes. Because if you have your project done, you don't need actors or actresses anymore for that project to remove it.

The best way is to change the status of a project to "Closed" (which happens automatically once the auditions deadline is passed) or "Completed".

BlazeHeatnix 09-10-2013 07:27 PM

I haven't personally seen this, but I've heard about it: There should probably be a restriction on extending the deadline. Someone could continually have the project auditions as being right near the deadline so that they automatically appeared at the top of the list all the time.

Pokejedservo 09-10-2013 08:40 PM

I am not sure about deadline restrictions because before I started to use Casting Call I use to have to extend deadlines several times due to auditions going way too slow so we should be careful about deadline restrictions.

Though if a project has been listed as "complete" then the site will issue a e-mail towards anyone casted in the production so at least they will be the first to know if the production has been released and completed.

BlazeHeatnix 09-15-2013 01:01 PM

Here's an idea: If we cast people to non-BTVA members, why can't we put names to those people?

I used Casting Call because it was a convenient way to organize open roles, with character bios, audition lines and even a provided picture. But if I advertise my dub on other websites, it's a tall order to have all the auditioners make an account on this website just to submit auditions. So obviously the next best thing is to request auditions via email.

But the problem is if I cast someone who DOESN'T have a BTVA account, and I mark the character as being cast as such, I can't put a name to them. So my suggestion is, if we mark a character as being cast to a non-BTVA member, to put a name to it instead of leaving it blank. The reason is I've had people tell me they're confused, and that they didn't know if the character was cast or simply closed off to auditions.

Ripple 09-20-2013 02:01 AM

I'd like to suggest some sort of feature that will facilitate direct contact between Casting Call users and voice actors who audition for roles. Perhaps when a VA auditions for a part, they can be prompted to enter contact information or asked if they would not mind sharing the email address they used to register an account on this website, with the user who started the casting call project they are auditioning for.

Right now, it seems the only thing I can do is to leave a message in the voice actor's user profile. But I get the feeling that leaving comments in the user profile may not be sufficient to get their attention in a timely manner. In other voice acting forums, I have experienced instances where the voice actor does not frequent the forum and sometimes 'forget' they auditioned for a part or lost track of the casting call deadline (some voice actors audition for many, many parts) and forget to 'check back.' These instances have produced 'delayed response' situations where I had to recast the role after not hearing from the voice actor for a week, and then have them contact me 2 or even 3 weeks later telling me how excited they are to have gotten the part, because they had not check the forum in all that time. Emailing the voice actor directly have worked extremely well to prevent such situations from happening, at least in my experience.

Thanks!

Foxwolf 09-20-2013 09:32 AM

@BlazeHeatnix - most definitely (also been suggested by others), and it's on my to-do list.

@Ripple - I can certainly add a feature where a project owner can mass contact their cast VA's directly via email using a contact form.

Lady Violet 09-23-2013 11:31 PM

I think it would be great if we could delete characters off our auditions, because on my God of War project, I've got like 9 characters when I really only have 5 characters but there is a whole bunch of repeats for no reason and there is no way for me to make them go away, and I've never had this problem before.

This also would be good if you need to delete a character you no longer want in your project... so can we make this happen? :yes:

PsychicVoiceSpy 10-08-2013 10:29 AM

I think it would be nice for there to be a "content rating" or some kind of information that lets people know what kind of subject matter and material will be involved with the project and what they will have to say. For instance: does the project contain any vulgar language that people will be required to say? Are there any potentially discomforting elements to the script/story that they might not want to get into? I think it would be nice for project owners to have an easy, efficient way to let people know what kind of content there will be and the nature of the script, that way if it goes against anything they feel strongly about or if they could potentially find it offensive they would know well in advance before they audition and potentially get cast.

Think of it as an ESRB label somewhere on the project page that's simple, to the point, and let's people know beforehand if there is any vulgarity, offensive situations/material, or whatever.

qwanflow 11-18-2013 10:09 AM

would like to see the option to pm other VAs through our VA Profile than, going through fourms, just seems bit cleaner that way.

Foxwolf 11-18-2013 03:01 PM

@PsychicVoiceSpy - I think all that's really need is whether or not a project has "Mature" content or not. That can easily be added.

@qwanflow - There's plans to add a messaging system like Facebook (but a simplified version) for the non-forum part of BTVA.

TakenGrace 11-28-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxwolf (Post 46407)
Have any suggestions on how Casting Call could be improved? Maybe there's a new feature you'd like to see.

Would love to hear what's cooking on your brain :)

I would like to see a Private message link on peoples profiles so I don't have to go into the forum and copy and paste their names

Agent Fluffy 01-07-2014 04:27 PM

I would love it if someone did a Megaman project with Bass. I would love to audition for that character.

BlazeHeatnix 01-11-2014 11:54 PM

First of all let me say THANK YOU for finally adding a delete button.

Second, unless I'm missing something there's no way to download audio files of auditions. That would be a very useful feature. It's true that usually it's not the final line that'll go into the production and that they can just send it to you directly, but for convenience sake it would be nice. Maybe with an option to let the uploader decide whether the public or just the director be able to download it.

Foxwolf 01-12-2014 12:15 AM

@TakenGrace - the long term goal is to have Facebook-type messaging on the non-forum site. But let me see if there's a quick way to have a Private Message link that auto-populates the "Send To" field with the members name.

@BlazeHeatnix - Haha, you're welcome. And you are correct, there's no way to download them directly short of digging through your browser's cache files. What you proposed makes sense and I'll add it to the todo list.

BlazeHeatnix 01-24-2014 07:52 PM

To make moderating messages easier, you should allow the director to moderate comments and delete them.

Foxwolf 01-24-2014 11:30 PM

I might end up doing that. Casting Call's grown significantly in the past year and it's getting a little crazy for me to moderate all the comments.

BlazeHeatnix 01-29-2014 02:10 PM

I don't agree with these new restrictions. It makes no sense to restrict deadlines or adding characters. What if you don't have what you're looking for yet, or real life gets in the way? You can extend auditions. Making us not be able to add characters, I really don't see the logic to it. You might as well restrict us deleting characters too.

Foxwolf 01-29-2014 02:25 PM

It's part of the new screening process and is mainly for new people using Casting Call. Like I said, for those you've used the system in the past and followed the guidelines, then these restrictions won't even apply. I'll be manually going through all past projects and owners to see who will automatically bypass the restrictions.

As for deadlines, I've been contacted by many members who have told me some project owners always change the dates so that their projects appear at the top of the listing page.

BlazeHeatnix 01-29-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxwolf (Post 68514)
As for deadlines, I've been contacted by many members who have told me some project owners always change the dates so that their projects appear at the top of the listing page.

The problem is inherently that projects listed by deadline is the default on the page. They should be listed by views and the amount of available roles by default, with deadlines being another sorting option.

Audiblescripts 01-29-2014 04:48 PM

I have two suggestions, one has already been mentioned:

1. Have a way for producers to download the auditions. At Audiblescripts we place all of the auditions in a Dropbox folder so a few of can listen to them and vote for our favorites. We also get better sound quality playing the auditions back in our audio software.

2. Need more audition lines.

Thanks,

Kirk
Casting Director, Audiblescripts
[email protected]

Foxwolf 01-29-2014 05:24 PM

@BlazeHeatnix - Actually, the problem will still exist if the default view is by # of characters or views. What's stopping people from adding a high number of fake characters or finding a way to bump up their views? If people game the system in it's current state, then the system needs to change.

All I can say is new changes are coming and whatever they end up being, not everyones going to like them - because they're used to a such an open system. But it has come to the stage that a few bad eggs have begun to ruin it for everyone else.

@Audiblescripts - 1. yeah, that ones definitely doable in the near future.

2. This ones doable but requires a bit of an interface change, so would be a lower priority on my list. The temporary solution would be to have multiple audition lines within one or more of the 3 audition text fields.

BlazeHeatnix 01-29-2014 06:23 PM

You realize that by restricting anybody but the project creators themselves, less more professional people from VAA and VAC are going to feel like coming to your website instead of submitting auditions some other way, and less people are going to feel like auditioning in general.

Foxwolf 01-29-2014 07:09 PM

I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to say in your previous post so if you could rephrase it that'd be great. And let me take back the word "restriction" and use "layers of moderation" from here on in.

BlazeHeatnix 01-29-2014 08:54 PM

Ok: With all these, dare I call them restrictions here on out, if you force any on ordinary people who audition, they wouldn't want to put up with your system. Thus, less auditions because it isn't as convenient anymore for the likes of Voice Acting Alliance and Voice Acting Club, whose members come here to audition.