Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Voice Actor Discussion (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   10 Best Voice Directors of All Time (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14689)

Starscreamsfan 02-16-2015 04:17 PM

10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Hey guys. I just wanted to start this interesting thread in order to acknowledge the people behind the voice actors... RECORDING DIRECTORS!!! Recording directors (refered to as dialogue directors before the 70's) are a very important part of a voice performance. Their purpose is to guide and make suggestions to the voice performers in order to bring their best performance out of them.

Here are my top 10 favorite recording directors of all time...

1) Bernard Cowan

67 Spider-Man wouldn't have been the awesome show it was if it wasn't for Bernard Cowan's excellent direction. A veteran radio announcer and dialogue director, Cowan was considered a father figure to all of his co-workers, and his experience made him a natural choice to direct the Spider-Man cartoon as well as the 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas Special. My favorite recording director of all time.

2) Stu Rosen

A pioneer in his field, Stu Rosen's direction in Phantom 2040 is highly praised by many people. His casting choices were accomplished dramatic actors who gave complex voice performances. However, the reason why I liked Rosen's work was mainly because of Pryde of the X-Men. His casting choices in Pryde were absolutely perfect (especially Earl Boen as Magneto and Alexandra Stoddart as Dazzler), and his direction is excellent. Another great director.

3) Alan Dinehart

A veteran from the old radio days (he directed Orson Welles in The Shadow), the experienced Dinehart was a very natural choice to direct Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the Battle of the Planets dub. His casting choices were some of the most fitting choices in any show. Especially the villains. For the villains, he hired the most talented and experienced performers in the world. Dennis Marks gave a very awesome performance as the Green Goblin. Shepard Menken brought a nice balance of menace and hamminess to Dr. Doom while Hans Conried provides one of the best performances in the entire show as the Chameleon. All the villains had one thing in common: they had the best evil laughs I've ever heard!!!! The main and supporting characters were also well chosen: Dan Gilvezan as Spidey, Frank Welker as Iceman and Kathy Garver as Firestar are perfect casting choices. And he really chose endearing performers for the awesome Battle of the Planets dub. Dinehart is another director that should deserve some recognition.

4) Gordon Hunt

The last two SuperFriends shows had improved greatly compared to the previous ones. Although the previous shows had great acting, these two were a lot better in that regard. Gordon Hunt's voice direction was a lot better and a lot more daring than before, bringing more emotion into the characters and giving them more personality.

5) Don Jurwich

Jurwich's voice direction on the SuperFriends cartoons from 1978 to 1982, the 1982 Hulk show and G.I. Joe (which he directed alongside Wally Burr) made him a great recording director. The Hulk cartoon he directed had a lot of great casting choices and performances. Another recording director to admire, respect and recognize.

6) Wally Burr

One of the best recording directors of the 20th century, Burr's excellent direction was what made G.I. Joe, Transformers and the early SuperFriends shows so great. Burr made even some of the minor characters in these shows memorable. Even characters with just one line of dialogue had a vocal quirk that made them memorable. Another director who deserves some respect and recognition.

7) Andrea Romano

The last SuperFriends show had a lot of things that made it stood out from the previous ones, one of them was this: the casting choices had IMPROVED!!! They kept the best voices from the previous shows and replaced some still great performers with even better ones. While Gordon Hunt directed this show, casting was made by then-future recording director Andrea Romano. Andrea's choices for The Super Powers Team were a lot more ambitious than the previous shows, using a perfect mix between well known actors like Ernie Hudson, Darryl Hickman and Bob Doqui as well as established TV veterans like Jerry Houser, Arlene Golonka and Ken Sansom and people that were established in the voice-over business like Peter Cullen, Andre Stojka and radio veteran Michael Rye, Romano was one of the first casting directors to use celebrities in cartoon roles along with established voice performers. She continued to use this method in the 92 Batman cartoon, which had some of the most impactful voice performances I've ever heard. She keeps directing and casting for cartoons and animated movies, but sadly, none of her work after the 92 Batman show (that means from the 96 Superman show onwards, not counting New Batman Adventures nor Batman Beyond) has left the impact that The Super Powers Team cartoon and the Batman cartoon had on me.

8) Sue Blu

Sue Blu's directing is one of the best aspects about 90s shows. Street Fighter, Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Darkstalkers are among Sue Blu's best directorial works ever.

9) Doug Parker

He is one of the best Canadian directors out there. He really demonstrated his directing abilities in DiC's G.I. Joe cartoon. He has also directed other shows, but I haven't seen them. Another memorable director.

10) Madeleine Bascom

She directed some of my favorite DiC shows like Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Captain N and G.I. Joe (along with Doug Parker). She also directed DiC's Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. Her direction made her an effective choice to pull off some of the most energetic performances I've heard.

Hope you like this thread. You can post your thoughts about my choices and tell me which are your 10 favorite recording directors.

Take care ;)

Polyester Funk 02-20-2015 01:04 AM

Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

I don't really know that many voice directors(something I should pay more attention to since they assemble the actors), but from your list I know Wally Burr and Susan Blu. I've read how Wally was quite the taskmaster and not always the easiest guy to get along with while working, but he got some great performances on Transformers and GI Joe. I think that both shows had amazing casts. The original Transformers series had great voices and performances. I think that pretty much everybody was perfectly cast. And the addition of the celebs in the movie worked out great, too. And it could have gone badly.

Wait, duh, I know Andrea Romano since she does most of the DC Comics stuff. Batman had a fantastic cast. She gave us Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill who are so renowned for their roles. I've heard that Kevin actually wanted a different role, but Andrea told him: "It's called Batman, you'd be in every episode." She's done some interesting choices with seasoned pros and celebs who haven't done voice acting and usually makes it work. I haven't seen a lot of the DC animated films, though I read that most of the new ones aren't that great. I'm not putting the blame on her, she doesn't write the projects. There only so much you can do with acting if the overall story is bad.

SupremeTarantulas 02-20-2015 01:23 PM

Andrea Romano and Susan Blu come to mind, Colette Sunderman isn't bad either. Not sure on every voice director but whoever did Filmation, 4kids, FUNimation, Hanna-Barbera, and the Looney Tunes, and Disney shorts come to mind, cause the latter 3 created the most iconic cartoon characters of all time.

Skullgrin140 02-20-2015 01:58 PM

I certainly name a couple of names, not 10 as I'm not too familiar with that many but the best I can list off are 5.

1. Jack Fletcher

One of the most underrated and overlooked voice directors in the business today, his direction work in video games like Final Fantasy X as well as Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are examples of why Video Games can be considered art at times. Because Jack manages to make that so with his direction of the actors in the games he works on to give them the right performances needed to be iconic and memorable, it's the same with his anime work when he worked with Urban Vision and he did such a great job with choosing the right voices for each character and not leaving a single stone un-turned with trying to get the character sounding 100% right.

2. Wally Burr

What's needed to be said about Wally is that he was a perfectionist when it came to the cartoons he worked on in the 80's. Show's like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem etc would not be what they are without his involvement and pushing the talent he recruited to their limits and bring out their full potential and make something remembering for generations.

3. Steve Foster

I don't think Steve Foster get's nearly enough notice as he does, I have often noticed people are rather hateful towards his work when I actually think it's mixed in places. On the off hand he has directed products like Captain Harlock, Appleseed, Steel Angel Kurumi masterfully well that show the effort behind the direction to give good performances from the actors he directs. On the other hand with his work on things like Golgo 13 (with the slight miscasting of the lead role) it leaves alot to be desired, it's a shame Steve retired because his demonstrated effort at proper voice direction is what companies like Funimation need.

4. Susan Blu

Apart from her voice work I think Susan's directional work is a high point in her career that leaves a bigger impression on what she has done. Her direction on Beast Wars, Beast Machines, TMNT & Transformers Animated is excellently well done, especially since with shows like Beast Wars she worked in Vancouver to bring names like David Kaye, Scott Mcneil etc to the front and breath life into characters that were new to the franchise at the time that people instantly remember for the way they behaved and sounded.

5. Karl Willems

The Ocean Group have some wide variety of voice directors that bring something different to each show they work on, biggest one I can think of is names like Karl Willems. I'd say his involvement is why show's like Death Note, Cybersix, X-men Evolution, Escaflowne and many others is why they were big successes to some audiences when he recruited the right names in mind to create what he did.

Starscreamsfan 02-20-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polyester Funk (Post 89190)
I don't really know that many voice directors(something I should pay more attention to since they assemble the actors), but from your list I know Wally Burr and Susan Blu. I've read how Wally was quite the taskmaster and not always the easiest guy to get along with while working, but he got some great performances on Transformers and GI Joe. I think that both shows had amazing casts. The original Transformers series had great voices and performances. I think that pretty much everybody was perfectly cast. And the addition of the celebs in the movie worked out great, too. And it could have gone badly.

Wait, duh, I know Andrea Romano since she does most of the DC Comics stuff. Batman had a fantastic cast. She gave us Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill who are so renowned for their roles. I've heard that Kevin actually wanted a different role, but Andrea told him: "It's called Batman, you'd be in every episode." She's done some interesting choices with seasoned pros and celebs who haven't done voice acting and usually makes it work. I haven't seen a lot of the DC animated films, though I read that most of the new ones aren't that great. I'm not putting the blame on her, she doesn't write the projects. There only so much you can do with acting if the overall story is bad.

Yes, Burr was a perfectionist, and most of his shows had perfect casting choices.

Yes, Andrea's casting choices in the 90's Batman cartoons (TAS, New Batman Adventures and Beyond) were quite inspired. However, I think they became sort of hit and miss when the 90's Superman cartoon came up (I'm not a big fan of Tim Daly's Superman). And yes, she shouldn't be blamed for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 89221)
Andrea Romano and Susan Blu come to mind, Colette Sunderman isn't bad either. Not sure on every voice director but whoever did Filmation, 4kids, FUNimation, Hanna-Barbera, and the Looney Tunes, and Disney shorts come to mind, cause the latter 3 created the most iconic cartoon characters of all time.

Ah, yes Collette Sunderman does an amazing job in some great cartoons like Duck Dodgers and some of the Tom & Jerry direct-to-video movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 (Post 89224)
I certainly name a couple of names, not 10 as I'm not too familiar with that many but the best I can list off are 5.

1. Jack Fletcher

One of the most underrated and overlooked voice directors in the business today, his direction work in video games like Final Fantasy X as well as Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are examples of why Video Games can be considered art at times. Because Jack manages to make that so with his direction of the actors in the games he works on to give them the right performances needed to be iconic and memorable, it's the same with his anime work when he worked with Urban Vision and he did such a great job with choosing the right voices for each character and not leaving a single stone un-turned with trying to get the character sounding 100% right.

2. Wally Burr

What's needed to be said about Wally is that he was a perfectionist when it came to the cartoons he worked on in the 80's. Show's like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem etc would not be what they are without his involvement and pushing the talent he recruited to their limits and bring out their full potential and make something remembering for generations.

3. Steve Foster

I don't think Steve Foster get's nearly enough notice as he does, I have often noticed people are rather hateful towards his work when I actually think it's mixed in places. On the off hand he has directed products like Captain Harlock, Appleseed, Steel Angel Kurumi masterfully well that show the effort behind the direction to give good performances from the actors he directs. On the other hand with his work on things like Golgo 13 (with the slight miscasting of the lead role) it leaves alot to be desired, it's a shame Steve retired because his demonstrated effort at proper voice direction is what companies like Funimation need.

4. Susan Blu

Apart from her voice work I think Susan's directional work is a high point in her career that leaves a bigger impression on what she has done. Her direction on Beast Wars, Beast Machines, TMNT & Transformers Animated is excellently well done, especially since with shows like Beast Wars she worked in Vancouver to bring names like David Kaye, Scott Mcneil etc to the front and breath life into characters that were new to the franchise at the time that people instantly remember for the way they behaved and sounded.

5. Karl Willems

The Ocean Group have some wide variety of voice directors that bring something different to each show they work on, biggest one I can think of is names like Karl Willems. I'd say his involvement is why show's like Death Note, Cybersix, X-men Evolution, Escaflowne and many others is why they were big successes to some audiences when he recruited the right names in mind to create what he did.

Wait, Jack Fletcher, wasn't that the guy who directed the Spawn cartoon??? No wonder Shadow of Mordor has the same performance quality as that cartoon.

I've heard Foster has been quite reviled, but I don't think he's that bad.

Karl Willems is quite a good director, I've seen some of the things he's directed, and he does a top-notch job.

SupremeTarantulas 02-20-2015 03:32 PM

Jack Fletcher relaxed to Max Fletcher, animator of the 40's Superman?

CatsTuxedo 02-20-2015 03:41 PM

I'm not one to make "best or worst" lists, but I at least ought to bring up Terry Klassen while we're at it. He's made quite a name for himself directing the actors for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Littlest Pet Shop lately. Course, some honorable mentions include the Barbie movies, Class of the Titans and Ed Edd n Eddy before that.

Starscreamsfan 02-20-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 89231)
Jack Fletcher relaxed to Max Fletcher, animator of the 40's Superman?

Nope, not related to Max Fleischer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo (Post 89233)
I'm not one to make "best or worst" lists, but I at least ought to bring up Terry Klassen while we're at it. He's made quite a name for himself directing the actors for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Littlest Pet Shop lately. Course, some honorable mentions include the Barbie movies, Class of the Titans and Ed Edd n Eddy before that.

Oh, yes. Terry Klassen did a great job as director for these shows.

SupremeTarantulas 02-20-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan (Post 89234)
Nope, not related to Max Fleischer.

Oh, yes. Terry Klassen did a great job as director for these shows.

Didn't realize the spelling was different. :banghead:

SupremeTarantulas 02-22-2015 08:56 AM

Forgot to mention Jamie Simone.

Starscreamsfan 02-22-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 89309)

Yes, he's one of the greatest directors the 20th century has to offer.

I mean his casting choices in Hulk Vs are superb!!! I mean, Steve Blum as Wolverine, Fred Tatasciore as the Hulk, Jay Brazeau as Volstagg, Janyse Jaud as Deathstrike, Mark Acheson as Sabretooth and Graham McTavish as Loki are all great casting choices.

But my personal favorite of Simone's casting choices for Hulk Vs is, yeah, you guessed it... NOLAN NORTH as DEADPOOL!!! Perfect casting choice.

Polyester Funk 02-23-2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 89309)

Yeah, he's got quite an impressive resume. With that name I thought he was a woman. I know there are men named Jamie, but it being paired with Simone just made me think he was a she.:laughing:

Starscreamsfan 02-23-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polyester Funk (Post 89338)
Yeah, he's got quite an impressive resume. With that name I thought he was a woman. I know there are men named Jamie, but it being paired with Simone just made me think he was a she.:laughing:

LOL

Anyways, I hope you guys keep posting ;)

zidane4028 02-23-2015 09:09 PM

Gotta admit, pretty surprised no one has mentioned Kris Zimmerman. She's my number one voice-over director in my book. Metal Gear Solid and a number of other games feature great voice over work thanks to her outstanding directing.

Ginny McSwain, as well. Can't argue with her work in Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Kid Icarus Uprising had the best English voice over I've ever heard, very funny and well cast, thanks to Ginny McSwain.

Anyone who's mentioned Gordon Hunt, Jack Fletcher and Andrea Romano is right on the money.

In all honesty, I usually tend to prefer VO directors who have a strong background in American animation, particularly from the early to mid 90's. But that's just my personal preference.

VoteForSirAtlas 02-26-2015 11:34 AM

Here are my top 10 best voice directors of all time:

1) Collette Sunderman

She is the best voice director of Los Angeles-based Western Animation ever. Thanks to her, all of the animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed primarily of celebrity actors and comedians. I think that she is perfect for the voice director of an anime television series from Japan.

2) Kris Zimmerman

One of my favorite voice directors of Los Angeles-based Western Animation. All of the animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed of Los Angeles-based Western Animation voice actors, celebrity actors and comedians.

3) Andrea Romano

She is definitely the queen of voice directing.

4) Ginny McSwain

She is of course alumni of Hanna-Barbera and animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed primarily of prolific voice actors. These voice casts also have some celebrity actors and comedians.

5) Kelly Ward

She is the expert for the animated television series with voice casts composed primarily of well-known Los Angeles-based Western Animation voice actors.

6) Susan Blu

Besides Los Angeles, she also directed voices in Vancouver and New York City. Her voice directing work is ultimately perfect.

7) Stuart M. Rosen

His voice direction is definitely perfect.

8) Charlie Adler

His voice direction is excellent.

9) Anybody from Los Angeles-based anime voice acting school

I prefer their voice directing.

10) Anybody from Vancouver-based voice acting school

All of the properties dubbed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada have voice casts composed primarily of popular Vancouver-based voice actors and well-known Vancouver-based actors of stage, film and television. They also participated as radio actors as evidenced at https://archive.org/details/VPoint.

What do you think, folks?

Starscreamsfan 02-26-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoteForSirAtlas (Post 89496)
Here are my top 10 best voice directors of all time:

1) Collette Sunderman

She is the best voice director of Los Angeles-based Western Animation ever. Thanks to her, all of the animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed primarily of celebrity actors and comedians. I think that she is perfect for the voice director of an anime television series from Japan.

2) Kris Zimmerman

One of my favorite voice directors of Los Angeles-based Western Animation. All of the animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed of Los Angeles-based Western Animation voice actors, celebrity actors and comedians.

3) Andrea Romano

She is definitely the queen of voice directing.

4) Ginny McSwain

She is of course alumni of Hanna-Barbera and animated television series where she worked as a voice director have voice casts composed primarily of prolific voice actors. These voice casts also have some celebrity actors and comedians.

5) Kelly Ward

She is the expert for the animated television series with voice casts composed primarily of well-known Los Angeles-based Western Animation voice actors.

6) Susan Blu

Besides Los Angeles, she also directed voices in Vancouver and New York City. Her voice directing work is ultimately perfect.

7) Stuart M. Rosen

His voice direction is definitely perfect.

8) Charlie Adler

His voice direction is excellent.

9) Anybody from Los Angeles-based anime voice acting school

I prefer their voice directing.

10) Anybody from Vancouver-based voice acting school

All of the properties dubbed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada have voice casts composed primarily of popular Vancouver-based voice actors and well-known Vancouver-based actors of stage, film and television. They also participated as radio actors as evidenced at https://archive.org/details/VPoint.

What do you think, folks?

Like your choices. I loved Zimmerman's work in Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm, and McSwain does a great job in Rescue Bots.

Also, I agree about the Vancouver-based school directors. They are great.

Okay, now. Every time a new page is generated in this thread, I'll post a list of recording directors that have been mentioned in this thread.

Recording directors mentioned in this thread:

Bernard Cowan
Stu Rosen
Alan Dinehart
Gordon Hunt
Don Jurwich
Wally Burr
Andrea Romano
Sue Blu
Doug Parker
Madeleine Bascom
Collette Sunderman
Jack Fletcher
Steve Foster
Karl Willems
Terry Klassen
Jamie Simone
Kris Zimmerman
Ginny McSwain
Kelly Ward
Charlie Adler

Hope you guys keep posting. ;)

BlankSlate 02-26-2015 02:56 PM

Dietmar Wunder, who directed the German dub of 'The Ren and Stimpy Show'!

Starscreamsfan 02-26-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankSlate (Post 89502)
Dietmar Wunder, who directed the German dub of 'The Ren and Stimpy Show'!

Nice.

Any American/Canadian directors???

BlankSlate 02-26-2015 05:17 PM

American directors...

Collette Sunderman. Does she count?

Starscreamsfan 02-26-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankSlate (Post 89507)
American directors...

Collette Sunderman. Does she count?

Yup. Her work is quite awesome.

HienFan 02-27-2015 12:26 AM

In no particular order
1 Wally Burr- sure his standard is high but it also lead to a high quality work
2 Doug Stone- The later Ps2 Dynasty Warriors game that is all
3 Terry Klassen- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Ed, Edd n Eddy, the old Megaman toon
4 Amanda Winn Lee- lots of old unforgettable anime here
5 Charlie Adler- Replace anime with cartoon and here we go
6 Bob Bulcholz- Many Square games, Digimon
7 Richard Epcar- one of the earliest example of great dubbing for Japanese media
8 Dan Hennesey- lots of old cartoons

Autovolt 02-27-2015 07:04 AM

Here I go.

1.) Andrea Romano - Her work speaks for herself from The DC cartoons to TMNT to Avatar/Korra to the WB cartoons of the 90's. In my opinion she's the greatest voice director that will ever exist. Her legacy is a huge list and is a huge part of every one of our childhoods. The fact she's able to bring celebrity talent and the regular voice actors in the industry together. It's incredible. I will admit some of her DC movie castings as of late have been rather faulty but she's still great otherwise.

2.) Jamie Simone - He's beginning to rival Andrea Romano (IMO), he has one advantage which is that he also is a ADR director for anime like Naruto, Tiger & Bunny and then there is his work for Marvel and both Transformers Prime and RID (2015). Studiopolis is very lucky to have him.

3.) Susan Blu - I love the work she's done for the Transformers franchise from Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and the first few episodes of Prime. She is also one of the few voice director to work in both Canada and the U.S, She also did Jackie Chan Adventures, Ben 10 Omniverse and even the Street Fighter cartoon.

4.) Michael Sinterniklaas - The Founder of the NYAV Post and a long time VA, voice/ADR director. I may not have heard much but he has to be one of the best directors there are. His work on Berserk is some of the best I've heard, Slayers is a major highlight too and he's done some cartoons like The Venture Bros. I plan on watching anything he's directed now.

5.) Karl Willems - This guy is Canada's best voice director. Inuyasha and Death Note were two of the major anime I grew up watching back in the day, and his casting still have left a huge impression on me. I think his dub for Escaflowne while a bit weaker than some of his other work is still solid enough especially for its time. I also loved his work on X-Men Evolution, Iron Man: Armoured Adventures, Megaman NT Warrior and Cybersix.

6.) Tony Oliver - The best ADR director at Bang Zoom! If he's directing I'm giving it a go. Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero are his magnum opus I feel. I also like his efforts directing the dubs for Magi, Eureka 7 and Squid Girl.

7.) James Corrigall -I bet most people hadn't even heard of him but you must have heard his work. Black Lagoon and most of the Gundam franchise. He is fantastic and definitely doesn't get enough credit.

8.) Mike McFarland and Colleen Clinkenbeard (tie) I had a hard time picking my favourite ADR director at FUNimation. I've seen a fair share of their dubs and I quite like them but there really isn't one whose efforts that I loved the most but If I had to pick it'd be either Mike or Colleen. Both of them directed Full Metal Alchemist so that's a major reason why I chose them both. Mike has done so much amazing work it's not just for the shows he does but rather the kind of talents he's been able to bring in from all around the country/continent. He is still the only ADR director to ever gotten Scott McNeil to come in. As for Colleen she did the Steins;Gate and High School DXD dubs and I love them to bits.

9.) Kevin Seymour - Cowbop Bebop,Code Geass and Ghost in the Shell , the 3 of them are on my favourite dubs list. It's a shame he didn't do much more than this. RIP

10.) Terry Klassen - He isn't my favourite voice actor but his direction is quite good I say. I liked the work he did for Transformers: Cybertron (despite it's flaws is quite enjoyable and a huge step up from Armada and Energon's direction). Of course he's also My Little Pony's voice director and he's been doing a great job with it.

Honourable Mentions:

Wally Burr - G1's voice director and is surprisingly is a ADR director too. Neat!

Collette Sunderman - She's worked on so many cartoons so many of the Cartoon Network shows from Scooby-Doo to Powerpuff Girls to Dexter's Lab and even The Batman Arkham Games.

Ginny McSwain - Gravity Falls has been a great show and it's voice work has been no exception. and she did Jimmy Neutron, Transformers: Rescue Bots, GI Joe Renegades and so many other great shows that if i listed them we'd be here all day.

Christopher Sabat - He's gotten so good at directing Dragonball Z after all these years especially with Kai and Battle of the Gods. It's also cool he owns a recording studio (Okratron5000)

Kristi Reed - Fantastic work with shows like Durarara!, Accel World and Lagrange.

Tyler Walker - Loved his dubs for Fairy Tail and Baccano.

Suzanne Goldish - From 4Kids to Studiopolis. Suzanne's doing a really good job thus far with the Sailor Moon dub.

Christopher Bevins - Jormungand. That is all.

Charlie Adler - Klasky Csupo's go to voice director.

Jack Fletcher - while I haven't really heard his work I must admit he's got quite an amazing amount of credits under his belt. Someday I should get around to watch the Disney Ghibli movies and their dubs. Seriously there hasn't been anyone else whose directed anime using western animation talent. That is awesome.

Starscreamsfan 02-27-2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 89522)
In no particular order
1 Wally Burr- sure his standard is high but it also lead to a high quality work
2 Doug Stone- The later Ps2 Dynasty Warriors game that is all
3 Terry Klassen- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Ed, Edd n Eddy, the old Megaman toon
4 Amanda Winn Lee- lots of old unforgettable anime here
5 Charlie Adler- Replace anime with cartoon and here we go
6 Bob Bulcholz- Many Square games, Digimon
7 Richard Epcar- one of the earliest example of great dubbing for Japanese media
8 Dan Hennesey- lots of old cartoons

Nice choices. Dan Hennessey's direction is quite good, I must admit.

Starscreamsfan 02-27-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 89528)
Here I go.

1.) Andrea Romano - Her work speaks for herself from The DC cartoons to TMNT to Avatar/Korra to the WB cartoons of the 90's. In my opinion she's the greatest voice director that will ever exist. Her legacy is a huge list and is a huge part of every one of our childhoods. The fact she's able to bring celebrity talent and the regular voice actors in the industry together. It's incredible. I will admit some of her DC movie castings as of late have been rather faulty but she's still great otherwise.

2.) Jamie Simone - He's beginning to rival Andrea Romano (IMO), he has one advantage which is that he also is a ADR director for anime like Naruto, Tiger & Bunny and then there is his work for Marvel and both Transformers Prime and RID (2015). Studiopolis is very lucky to have him.

3.) Susan Blu - I love the work she's done for the Transformers franchise from Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and the first few episodes of Prime. She is also one of the few voice director to work in both Canada and the U.S, She also did Jackie Chan Adventures, Ben 10 Omniverse and even the Street Fighter cartoon.

4.) Michael Sinterniklaas - The Founder of the NYAV Post and a long time VA, voice/ADR director. I may not have heard much but he has to be one of the best directors there are. His work on Berserk is some of the best I've heard, Slayers is a major highlight too and he's done some cartoons like The Venture Bros. I plan on watching anything he's directed now.

5.) Karl Willems - This guy is Canada's best voice director. Inuyasha and Death Note were two of the major anime I grew up watching back in the day, and his casting still have left a huge impression on me. I think his dub for Escaflowne while a bit weaker than some of his other work is still solid enough especially for its time. I also loved his work on X-Men Evolution, Iron Man: Armoured Adventures, Megaman NT Warrior and Cybersix.

6.) Tony Oliver - The best ADR director at Bang Zoom! If he's directing I'm giving it a go. Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero are his magnum opus I feel. I also like his efforts directing the dubs for Magi, Eureka 7 and Squid Girl.

7.) James Corrigall -I bet most people hadn't even heard of him but you must have heard his work. Black Lagoon and most of the Gundam franchise. He is fantastic and definitely doesn't get enough credit.

8.) Mike McFarland and Colleen Clinkenbeard (tie) I had a hard time picking my favourite ADR director at FUNimation. I've seen a fair share of their dubs and I quite like them but there really isn't one whose efforts that I loved the most but If I had to pick it'd be either Mike or Colleen. Both of them directed Full Metal Alchemist so that's a major reason why I chose them both. Mike has done so much amazing work it's not just for the shows he does but rather the kind of talents he's been able to bring in from all around the country/continent. He is still the only ADR director to ever gotten Scott McNeil to come in. As for Colleen she did the Steins;Gate and High School DXD dubs and I love them to bits.

9.) Kevin Seymour - Cowbop Bebop,Code Geass and Ghost in the Shell , the 3 of them are on my favourite dubs list. It's a shame he didn't do much more than this. RIP

10.) Terry Klassen - He isn't my favourite voice actor but his direction is quite good I say. I liked the work he did for Transformers: Cybertron (despite it's flaws is quite enjoyable and a huge step up from Armada and Energon's direction). Of course he's also My Little Pony's voice director and he's been doing a great job with it.

Honourable Mentions:

Wally Burr - G1's voice director and is surprisingly is a ADR director too. Neat!

Collette Sunderman - She's worked on so many cartoons so many of the Cartoon Network shows from Scooby-Doo to Powerpuff Girls to Dexter's Lab and even The Batman Arkham Games.

Ginny McSwain - Gravity Falls has been a great show and it's voice work has been no exception. and she did Jimmy Neutron, Transformers: Rescue Bots, GI Joe Renegades and so many other great shows that if i listed them we'd be here all day.

Christopher Sabat - He's gotten so good at directing Dragonball Z after all these years especially with Kai and Battle of the Gods. It's also cool he owns a recording studio (Okratron5000)

Kristi Reed - Fantastic work with shows like Durarara!, Accel World and Lagrange.

Tyler Walker - Loved his dubs for Fairy Tail and Baccano.

Suzanne Goldish - From 4Kids to Studiopolis. Suzanne's doing a really good job thus far with the Sailor Moon dub.

Christopher Bevins - Jormungand. That is all.

Charlie Adler - Klasky Csupo's go to voice director.

Jack Fletcher - while I haven't really heard his work I must admit he's got quite an amazing amount of credits under his belt. Someday I should get around to watch the Disney Ghibli movies and their dubs. Seriously there hasn't been anyone else whose directed anime using western animation talent. That is awesome.

I'm really liking your choices and honorable mentions.

Bernard Cowan
Stu Rosen
Alan Dinehart
Gordon Hunt
Don Jurwich
Wally Burr
Andrea Romano
Sue Blu
Doug Parker
Madeleine Bascom
Collette Sunderman
Jack Fletcher
Steve Foster
Karl Willems
Terry Klassen
Jamie Simone
Kris Zimmerman
Ginny McSwain
Kelly Ward
Charlie Adler
Doug Stone
Amanda Winn-Lee
Bob Buchholz
Richard Epcar
Dan Hennessey
Michael Sinterniklaas
Tony Oliver
James Corrigall
Mike McFarland
Colleen Clinkenbeard
Kevin Seymour
Chris Sabat
Kristi Reed
Tyler Walker
Suzanne Goldish
Christopher Bevins

cartoonvoice 02-27-2015 02:50 PM

Does anybody know what year Charlie Adler started voice directing?
And how many episodes of Rugrats did he direct?

Starscreamsfan 02-28-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartoonvoice (Post 89551)
Does anybody know what year Charlie Adler started voice directing?
And how many episodes of Rugrats did he direct?

He started directing in the late 90s (1998 to be precise). He directed over 30 Rugrats episodes.

Archerboy58 03-01-2015 11:15 AM

Andrea Romano is my favorite. Wally Burr is my 2nd favorite

economics 03-01-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archerboy58 (Post 89625)

Agreed.

Starscreamsfan 03-01-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archerboy58 (Post 89625)

Quote:

Originally Posted by economics (Post 89627)
Agreed.

Nice choices, guys. Both Romano and Burr have done top notch jobs.

Starscreamsfan 03-01-2015 03:02 PM

I posted this in my Vintage Marvel Appreciation thread, but I decided to post it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRM-14NvGw

From 10:00 until 13:27, there is some rare footage of a recording session directed by one of my favorite recording directors, Mr. Alan Dinehart.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

Polyester Funk 03-01-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan (Post 89646)
I posted this in my Vintage Marvel Appreciation thread, but I decided to post it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRM-14NvGw

From 10:00 until 13:27, there is some rare footage of a recording session directed by one of my favorite recording directors, Mr. Alan Dinehart.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

That's pretty cool getting to see the actors perform. I swear that Frank Welker can make just about any noise on Earth. That one bark he does sounds just like my neighbor's dog.

Starscreamsfan 03-02-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polyester Funk (Post 89680)
That's pretty cool getting to see the actors perform. I swear that Frank Welker can make just about any noise on Earth. That one bark he does sounds just like my neighbor's dog.

Yeah. And I just love Alan Dinehart's patience when he explains to the actors how to perform the roles. The clip also shows a little bit of Dinehart's sense of humor:

Very good, now come on here and be a producer!!!

LOL

Starscreamsfan 07-21-2015 06:11 PM

Incidentally, these are my honorable mentions...

Himan Brown:

A wonderful radio director, his devotion to radio was uncanny, and he did a lot of old time radio revivals in his later years. Just a wonderful director.

Jack Johnstone:

If you've heard the first episodes of the Superman radio show (the syndicated run), you may see why I put Johnstone in here. Great director in a lot of stuff.

George Lowther:

The Mutual run of the Superman radio show is the most well known one, and George Lowther's direction in it is just excellent. He really allowed the performers not only to play their roles to perfection, but he also allowed them to have fun with their respective characters.

Orson Welles:

If you've heard the Mercury Theater on the Air, you may see why I mention Welles. His direction is just excellent and energetic. And he also used his radio directing experience on films. A wonderful radio legend.

Ginny McSwain:

Of course, she's just a wonderful director. The first SuperFriends Super Powers tie-in cartoon and the 1988 Superman cartoon are great examples of her direction.

Bernard Cowan
Stu Rosen
Alan Dinehart
Gordon Hunt
Don Jurwich
Wally Burr
Andrea Romano
Sue Blu
Doug Parker
Madeleine Bascom
Himan Brown
Jack Johnstone
George Lowther
Orson Welles
Ginny McSwain
Collette Sunderman
Jack Fletcher
Steve Foster
Karl Willems
Terry Klassen
Jamie Simone
Kris Zimmerman
Kelly Ward
Charlie Adler
Doug Stone
Amanda Winn-Lee
Bob Buchholz
Richard Epcar
Dan Hennessey
Michael Sinterniklaas
Tony Oliver
James Corrigall
Mike McFarland
Colleen Clinkenbeard
Kevin Seymour
Chris Sabat
Kristi Reed
Tyler Walker
Suzanne Goldish
Christopher Bevins

8000 Saiyans 06-24-2018 08:21 AM

Andrea Romano
Jack Fletcher
Jamie Simone
Michael Sinterniklaas
Jamie Thomason
Karl Willems
Kevin Seymour
Wally Burr
Tony Oliver
Kris Zimmerman-Salter

Autovolt 12-15-2018 05:19 AM

I'm gonna add Sirena Irwin to the list.

She replaced Andrea Romano in the last few episodes of Voltron: Legendary Defender in its final season and wow she nailed the voice direction there. Really surprising too to see her become a voice director herself.

I hope she continues voice directing in the future, she's got a knack for it.

thomwim 12-15-2018 12:20 PM

I have quite a few personal favorites:

Jamie Thomason
Ginny McSwain
Charlie Adler
Merle Anne Ridley (Toronto)
Sue Blu
Terry Klaasen (Vancouver)
Jack Fletcher
Colette Sunderman
Andrea Romano
Kris Zimmerman
Deb Toffan (Toronto)
Sam Riegel
Jamie Simone

TheVengeanceKnight 01-03-2019 10:31 PM

Might I add Dave Filoni? I know he's not officially credited as a voice director in his shows, but all the behind the scenes stuff for Clone Wars and Rebels show him as more or less having that role.

Abdullab 01-04-2019 09:30 AM

1. Kris Zimmerman-Salter
2. Jamie Thomason
3. Colette Sunderman
4. Andrea Romano
5. Karl Willems
6. Liam O'Brien
7. William Beckman
8. Darragh O'Farrell
9. Jamie Simone
10.Keith Arem

EPA Deane 02-01-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 149557)
I'm gonna add Sirena Irwin to the list.

She replaced Andrea Romano in the last few episodes of Voltron: Legendary Defender in its final season and wow she nailed the voice direction there. Really surprising too to see her become a voice director herself.

I hope she continues voice directing in the future, she's got a knack for it.

Hopefully she gets Some Marvel and DC Productions to work on.