Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Voice Actor Discussion (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing? (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595)

BoondocksXAfrofan 01-31-2015 09:01 PM

Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
please don't kill me for asking,

We all know the dubbing has it flaws but as years went on dubbing as improve didn't it? I mean as of now and it's still improving. But yet some folks still treat it as a taboo thing. Even it if itís not an English dub, it can be a Tagalog, Spanish, French, Italian dub and still get put down rather itís in anime, western cartoons, or in video games. I sometimes still see folks questioning about why it exist even if the dubbing is in their native language. Yes I know no matter how well or bad a dub is there will be people who will oppose it. The one that get to me the most and still do is them knowing that they can views all of these in its original form yet they still complain. Why? Maybe superiority complex or insecurity problem as a fan???? Sometimes I just wish that dubbing was a bit more respected as much as the original. While the original VA will always better most of the time, they can also have flaws as well can they? I mean we all are people right and we sometimes make mistakes so why some canít see theirs just because they are original? I donít know I guess Iím only seeing one side to this and not seeing the other. I donít know why people like me (dub fans/supporter) always get the short end of the stick in terms of opinions or choices when liking the opposite side or even both(Original & Dub).


Overall tell me what do you think? I just feel like people are quick to jump on the dubbing and see it only as bad thing due to its bad rep which I can understand however, some NOT all folks NEVER see the flaws on the other side of the coin. Also itís alright if donít like dubs or do like them. Respect is just needed without belittling the opposing side.

One more question Beside English dubs, name a dub in another language in your opinion that surpasses the original or just as great as the original and why.

P.S. Please no flame wars. let's talk not argue

electronic456 02-01-2015 01:46 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
To me, dubs depend on the kind of dialogue that is being presented. Usually I prefer animes with Japanese dubs over English because it's how I can take the words spoken seriously.

I have no issue with dubbing as it's just really a thing to get people to understand what's going on. I don't have a single bit of beef to hate that sort of thing.

EDIT: If I had to answer which show has a great dub. I would say Dragon Ball Kai.

Nightmare Crusher 02-01-2015 07:53 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Part of it, I think, is that people got a bad impression based on some of the really bad dubs from the early days and became closed off to them since.
Another thing I've noticed is that a lot I f 0eople who hate on dubs, especially anime, don't actually understand the original language and so they are unable to pick up any flaws and assume that it's always better. That's just my perspective though.

Skullgrin140 02-01-2015 07:55 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
People can't stand change I guess, that's more than a couple of reasons why people are still hostile towards dubbing.

SupremeTarantulas 02-01-2015 08:54 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

Reply to a comment regarding sounding more like seiyu's

They are pushing it. English VA's should go for their own thing. Impersonating a seiyu is really hard to do. Copying their performance(or doing something inspired by it) is easier but I still think they should go for whatever voice they choose or think fits. The English version is the English version and the Japanese version is the Japanese version.

That being said I think the main reason is, well at least some comments say this, that they prefer the original Japanese source, and it ,mmay be some dumbs ruined it. 4kids is a good example with it's censoring, and FUNimation with it's original DBZ though I enjoyed the latter. Also some older dubs like Digimon got some hate just cause people hated the English voices, I don't recall exaxtly but there was some seiyu comparisons in there. I liked though, especially the villain voices. Just a few reasons and thoughts on the matter.

GothamRed 02-01-2015 10:41 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Well it's a similar mentality to "things were better back in my day." People like to believe that the version of something they like is the "definitive" version of the thing as disregard all other versions as worse, even if they haven't fully experienced them. Here are some non-dub related examples of what I mean: you know how there are still people who are extremely volatile towards the 2003 and 2012 Ninja Turtles series for the sole reason that they aren't the '87 series (in some cases having never even seen the former 2), or how some Batman fans were unwilling to even watch BTBATB because it wasn't the tone they wanted. There will always be people with the close-minded mentality of "I like this version of a thing, so everyone else should!"

And there's also things like Anglophiles, who believe that everything from England is inherently better than anything anywhere else in extreme cases, And the extreme of the example here, Japanophiles who feel that way about Japanese culture. There's obviously nothing wrong with having an appreciation of a culture outside your own, but many people let the culture dictate whether or not they like something, not the thing itself.

Both of these ideas I've mentioned ("My version is better" and "Location over product") are both factors in this idea that dubs are always bad. There's also the things mentioned above, like the lack-luster dubs of the 80s and 90s, and some people being jaded by some of 4kids practices, that cause people to just hate even the word "dub". This causes can cause them to either completely disregard dubs and just assume they're bad (which is dumb, but since they have nothing to back it up it's easily brushed off) or even worse in my opinion, watch maybe the first episode or so dubbed and go out of their way to find flaws with it (real or perceived) that they then use against the dub as a whole (My least favorite of which being "they sound different" and the various iterations of that. Of course they sound different from the sub THEY'RE SPEAKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!).

In the end there are a number of reasons why people just inherently hate the idea of dubbing something. It's not something that I foresee ever going away, so it's best to just ignore the hype from either side and just form your own opinions of what you watch.

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-01-2015 11:49 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GothamRed (Post 88421)
Well it's a similar mentality to "things were better back in my day." People like to believe that the version of something they like is the "definitive" version of the thing as disregard all other versions as worse, even if they haven't fully experienced them. Here are some non-dub related examples of what I mean: you know how there are still people who are extremely volatile towards the 2003 and 2012 Ninja Turtles series for the sole reason that they aren't the '87 series (in some cases having never even seen the former 2), or how some Batman fans were unwilling to even watch BTBATB because it wasn't the tone they wanted. There will always be people with the close-minded mentality of "I like this version of a thing, so everyone else should!"

And there's also things like Anglophiles, who believe that everything from England is inherently better than anything anywhere else in extreme cases, And the extreme of the example here, Japanophiles who feel that way about Japanese culture. There's obviously nothing wrong with having an appreciation of a culture outside your own, but many people let the culture dictate whether or not they like something, not the thing itself.

Both of these ideas I've mentioned ("My version is better" and "Location over product") are both factors in this idea that dubs are always bad. There's also the things mentioned above, like the lack-luster dubs of the 80s and 90s, and some people being jaded by some of 4kids practices, that cause people to just hate even the word "dub". This causes can cause them to either completely disregard dubs and just assume they're bad (which is dumb, but since they have nothing to back it up it's easily brushed off) or even worse in my opinion, watch maybe the first episode or so dubbed and go out of their way to find flaws with it (real or perceived) that they then use against the dub as a whole (My least favorite of which being "they sound different" and the various iterations of that. Of course they sound different from the sub THEY'RE SPEAKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!).

In the end there are a number of reasons why people just inherently hate the idea of dubbing something. It's not something that I foresee ever going away, so it's best to just ignore the hype from either side and just form your own opinions of what you watch.

I agree especially on the speaking another language comment because those are one of the reason on why I tend to not compare the dub or sub on any anime and most panels i come across on YouTube the anime dub VAs will tell you they most of them time there being told what to do by the directors in the recording process it's not entirely their fault . It's sad that people don't take their time to see how dubbing works instead of being hostile towards it , it's not an easy job and people need to take that into consideration.

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-01-2015 12:03 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher (Post 88410)
Part of it, I think, is that people got a bad impression based on some of the really bad dubs from the early days and became closed off to them since.
Another thing I've noticed is that a lot I f 0eople who hate on dubs, especially anime, don't actually understand the original language and so they are unable to pick up any flaws and assume that it's always better. That's just my perspective though.

While I understand that, that still not a good reason for the sub fans to act so up tight and bitter towards dub or the people who support it just because it's not the original. Plus last time I check, anime in sub while close to it, it isn't completely in it its original format. Overall I'm just saying that watching anime both dub or sub both are still alterations of the anime or foreign media in general in it's original form. However if they want to, the fans can learn the language respectfully and watch anime or any other foreign media raw without being hateful towards the opposite side.

Nightmare Crusher 02-01-2015 12:08 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I never said it was a good reason. In fact, I think it's a terrible reason to dislike something. Everything you said is correct, but I think a lot of people don't realize that.

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-01-2015 12:54 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher (Post 88437)
I never said it was a good reason. In fact, I think it's a terrible reason to dislike something. Everything you said is correct, but I think a lot of people don't realize that.

I know you never said that and I'm sorry if you thought I was putting words in your mouth. I was saying that IMHO I saw it as a poor excuse but yeah, that is is indeed a terrible reason to dislike something. It sad that people dislike something that's a part of whats helping the industry. Better yet if want to, instead of have hate towards dubs, if they're in to VAing, they can contribute into helping dubs get better by becoming an actor or scrip writer or that sort of thing. Only if they want to do it. Hell, some Dub VAs were formal dub haters on some panels I saw with them acknowledging how they were and look at them now.

Gaddes 02-01-2015 06:17 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
It honestly still amazes me that the argument of "dubs suxor" still comes up in this day and age. I do agree though, most of the people that tend to hold these opinions tend to be raging Japanophiles. They're a small but still vocal minority.

Dubs as a whole have gotten way better as the year went by and bad dubs are pretty rare these days honestly.

Autovolt 02-02-2015 11:44 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I have no clue in all honesty.

Some dubs do fall short of being good or as on par as the original Japanese version but a lot of the dubs I've watched are very solid and sometimes I feel can surpass the original plus I enjoy a lot of the voice work of the dub VA's.

What I do hate however is the whole notion and mentality that "All dub VA's are failed actors" or not at all fans of anime. Uh No. Most of the VA's that do dub anime actually are anime fans themselves or enjoy recording ADR. ADR isn't easy so many of the VA's that do so on a regular basis have my respect.

akersaotome 02-02-2015 02:19 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 88467)
Most of the VA's that do dub anime actually are anime fans themselves or enjoy recording ADR.

Agreed, since there is a now a generation of actors/actresses who grew up during the 1990's-2000's and are now part of the Anime VA community. Its good for us viewers to watch these actors/actresses grow. Maybe some of them will be able to branch out into other V.O projects like AAA game titles and pre-lay cartoons. Prime examples are Steve Blum, being in the Guinness book of world records and perhaps the biggest name voice actor in the world, Troy Baker; both of them dubbed Anime early in their v.o careers.

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-02-2015 03:29 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaddes (Post 88447)
It honestly still amazes me that the argument of "dubs suxor" still comes up in this day and age. I do agree though, most of the people that tend to hold these opinions tend to be raging Japanophiles. They're a small but still vocal minority.

Dubs as a whole have gotten way better as the year went by and bad dubs are pretty rare these days honestly.

This !!! But sadly people donít see that and still think the original VA are perfect all the time, which is fine. However these original VA rather theyíre American or Japanese or any other nationality CAN still have flaws. Hell I heard from several fans that seen DBZ it is original form isn't all great. The whole point is theyíre not perfect EITHER. No one is nor anyone is perfect because of their preference either. The whole argument about not being a ďTrue fanĒ or trolling Dub videos on YouTube is silly that why I bring up the whole superiority complex thing because it happens and it need to stop. Thatís why I say respect is needed.

CDwaver 02-16-2015 08:58 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Beats me since dubs are far from being consistently bad anymore. I also hate when you get those peopel that are always, "Its always better in the original language, yadyada, The dub actors don't sound right." Sure because none of the Japanese voice actors are ever mediocre as well. *rolls eyes*

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-17-2015 01:15 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDwaver (Post 89051)
Beats me since dubs are far from being consistently bad anymore. I also hate when you get those peopel that are always, "Its always better in the original language, yadyada, The dub actors don't sound right." Sure because none of the Japanese voice actors are ever mediocre as well. *rolls eyes*

Agreed. Dubs came a long way. But, I guess you have those folks who would think otherwise, smh.

FMAlchemistfan01 04-29-2015 05:47 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 88412)
Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

i agree, they act like Bruce Falconer killed their family which he didnt.

Slingshot 04-29-2015 08:09 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 88412)
Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

Reply to a comment regarding sounding more like seiyu's

They are pushing it. English VA's should go for their own thing. Impersonating a seiyu is really hard to do. Copying their performance(or doing something inspired by it) is easier but I still think they should go for whatever voice they choose or think fits. The English version is the English version and the Japanese version is the Japanese version.

That being said I think the main reason is, well at least some comments say this, that they prefer the original Japanese source, and it ,mmay be some dumbs ruined it. 4kids is a good example with it's censoring, and FUNimation with it's original DBZ though I enjoyed the latter. Also some older dubs like Digimon got some hate just cause people hated the English voices, I don't recall exaxtly but there was some seiyu comparisons in there. I liked though, especially the villain voices. Just a few reasons and thoughts on the matter.

This^.
Funimation does a great job at dubbing. I actually think FUNimation does a better job at casting the roles and the over all voice work.

HienFan 04-29-2015 09:44 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

But I will give my two cent that OTHER dubs studios have a lot of hatred but I thought they could be very well casted or have distinctive works, I really like LA and 4Kids(including Pokemon USA) voice works

Domayv 04-29-2015 10:26 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 92797)
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

Agreed with Shana. Whilst Josh Grelle and Cherami Leigh were fine for Yuji and Shana, respectively, most of the remainder is okay at best and poorly executed at worst. Additionally, much of the casting is incredibly haphazardly done (Greg Ayres sounded horrible as Keisaku Sato to the point that it basically desecrated Brad Swaile's version, and Micah being casted as Sorath, while fine on its own, Micah would have made an INFINITELY better fit for Keisaku than Greg since Micah is Dallas's answer to Brad Swaile. Additionally, Greg could have done Sorath instead of Keisaku and those two casting choices would have been much better than what was casted in the end). It seemed that Funi did that to get the series out as fast as possible (had the Geneon/Universal red tape BS not happen, then Funi might have been able to outsource the remainder to Ocean).

Slingshot 04-30-2015 10:39 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 92797)
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

But I will give my two cent that OTHER dubs studios have a lot of hatred but I thought they could be very well casted or have distinctive works, I really like LA and 4Kids(including Pokemon USA) voice works

FUNimation's dub of FMA is, in my opinion, the perfect dub.
A lot of dubbing companies are mediocre, but 4Kids was downright terrible.

Autovolt 04-30-2015 03:14 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domayv (Post 92801)
Agreed with Shana. Whilst Josh Grelle and Cherami Leigh were fine for Yuji and Shana, respectively, most of the remainder is okay at best and poorly executed at worst. Additionally, much of the casting is incredibly haphazardly done (Greg Ayres sounded horrible as Keisaku Sato to the point that it basically desecrated Brad Swaile's version, and Micah being casted as Sorath, while fine on its own, Micah would have made an INFINITELY better fit for Keisaku than Greg since Micah is Dallas's answer to Brad Swaile. Additionally, Greg could have done Sorath instead of Keisaku and those two casting choices would have been much better than what was casted in the end). It seemed that Funi did that to get the series out as fast as possible (had the Geneon/Universal red tape BS not happen, then Funi might have been able to outsource the remainder to Ocean).

This is the reason why that if i ever get around to Shakugan no Shana, the later seasons I'm watching subbed.

Ocean really deserved to finish the series.

Domayv 04-30-2015 03:46 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 92833)
This is the reason why that if i ever get around to Shakugan no Shana, the later seasons I'm watching subbed.

Ocean really deserved to finish the series.

Then let again, it's pretty much Universal's fault for causing that delay in the first place, which in turn led to that rushed dub.

For Ocean dubbing the remainder nowadays, it's possible since the ratio's back to normal, but it's unlikely since it ended up going niche thanks to that delay and it pretty much has gone to S.A.V.E. territory (it doesn't help that Funi's release of season 1 doesn't have the season 1 OVA that Geneon's box set has, which is why I kept my season 1 set). Maybe if it got a Toonami deal (Shana is an action show but it's unlikely since it's years old), it MIGHT justify making an alternate track with the season 1 cast (LA's not viable since it's even more expensive than Vancouver) and possibly bring more sales (it could be boosted if Yen Press gets the novels given their success with LNs) but that's a huge high-risk gamble, especially with their broadcast dub venture eating up more of their resources.

HienFan 04-30-2015 11:21 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
That's what irks me of some Funimation fans, most other dub houses have pretty good voice actors really, while I hate 4Kids censorships they got a lot of very talented people and some pretty good directions, I love their Sonic the Hedgehog work, Funimation is not one of the only houses(if not only) with good voice casting

Well Ocean tend to voice work a lot of sucky works(Johnny Test, Bratz, Star Ocean Ex...) especially nowadays thanks to the ratios we shall see if they can get something good now that ratio went back to normal

Also Josh Grelle is the only voice on Shana I prefer in the Funimation dub, too much strange casting(Okay so is Todd Haberkorn that one guy? He sounds too masculine for the design and while Kent William is not a bad choice for Alastor the voice they chose is too rough and high)

Domayv 05-01-2015 09:23 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 92849)
while Kent William is not a bad choice for Alastor the voice they chose is too rough and high)

And here's the saddest part: Kent's Kozo Fuyutsuki from Evangelion sounded literally like Paul Dobson's Alastor, so Im wondering why they havent gone with that version.

Blink 05-01-2015 03:39 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Pretty much the same thing most hypsters feel. They think since there's already been an established thing, anything else trying to add on would make it worse.
Sad really. Most people who hate dubbing won't even listen to it.

HeroRises143 05-01-2015 09:49 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 92817)
A lot of dubbing companies are mediocre, but 4Kids was downright terrible.

Disagree: they did a fantastic job with Pokemon and a decent job with Yu-Gi-Oh as well.

HienFan 05-02-2015 10:53 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I don't want to derail this into Shakugan no Shana topic but here's this: His Kuro proved that he could do a deep smooth voice makes it even worse

Though anyways on topic
I could say dubs done by English speaking people living in Japan is criminally underrated as well, they're generally slammed and I think they don't dub works anymore(it's usually Hong Kong that dubs Asian based dubs now), sad I really like their announcer roles and some of their work like Tekken 5, F-Zero, WinBack and the King of Fighters 12

Slingshot 05-02-2015 10:55 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domayv (Post 92856)
And here's the saddest part: Kent's Kozo Fuyutsuki from Evangelion sounded literally like Paul Dobson's Alastor, so Im wondering why they havent gone with that version.

Most of Kent's roles sound the same. Compare Fuyutski to Father in FMA:B and you'll automatically recognize that Kent is doing their voices.
He and Gendo's voice actor (John Swasey?) sound very similar and a lot of Eva fans were disappointed about that.
It's funny that he and Gendo's voice actor have played characters that interact with each other (soul eater, FMA:B, Eva).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hienfan (Post 92849)
That's what irks me of some Funimation fans, most other dub houses have pretty good voice actors really, while I hate 4Kids censorships they got a lot of very talented people and some pretty good directions, I love their Sonic the Hedgehog work, Funimation is not one of the only houses(if not only) with good voice casting.

They had some good people here and there, but they misused their talent. They turned serious battles into an attempt at comedy. You also had inexperienced VA's playing a few roles, and another va who played a few roles before voicing a character, and the end product didn't sound like it's in the same environment. I understand they don't do roles together, but the casting director has to make sure they at least put some effort into their lines.
And the voice actor of the Mohji from One Piece in the 4Kids dub... Oh man was he bad.

HienFan 05-03-2015 01:59 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Now while the product of 4Kids actor can REALLY depend but frankly it's true for any voice acting period

Domayv 05-03-2015 02:26 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 92973)
Most of Kent's roles sound the same. Compare Fuyutski to Father in FMA:B and you'll automatically recognize that Kent is doing their voices.
He and Gendo's voice actor (John Swasey?) sound very similar and a lot of Eva fans were disappointed about that.
It's funny that he and Gendo's voice actor have played characters that interact with each other (soul eater, FMA:B, Eva).

You are right in that part. For John Swasey, his voice is closer to Paul Dobson's (Kent Williams's voice is a mixture between Paul Dobson's and Richard Newman's).

HeroRises143 05-03-2015 12:41 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 92817)
FUNimation's dub of FMA is, in my opinion, the perfect dub.
A lot of dubbing companies are mediocre, but 4Kids was downright terrible.

I have to disagree because 4Kids actually did some decent dubs.

Gaddes 05-03-2015 09:15 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
The New York talent pool is by and large vastly underrated. They've produced some stellar work in the past, but have sadly more or less vanished from existence save for Pokemon. They really got a bum rap because of the 4Kids dubs.

Quote:

Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard
Agreed. I actually like Funi's older dubs i.e Full Metal, Blue Gender and a few of their older dubs. New ones are hit or miss IMO.

Quote:

Keroro Gunso
AKA, let's Family Guy up the humor and make it "TOTALLY ZANY AND OFF THE WALL!!". Funi's comedy dubs always make me cringe a bit lol.

HienFan 05-04-2015 08:16 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Sadly that's what I have been saying since I first posted the deal about New York voice actors but most people seem to haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate them because of 4Kids, it does not help some people are pissed off at the newer talents because they... aren't dubbed by 4Kids, I'll say it again even poorly recieved dubs aren't all rock bottom quality

Yikes some of Funimation newer work... so much EDGY shows, what could possibly go wrong with lots of fanservice and violence?

I know people love Funimation Keroro Gunso but I found it really over the top(even more over the top than the Japanese and I already found that over the top)

Also... for that note some of it could be contributed to Sunrise(the studio behind the anime) their attempt at comedy can get painful

Autovolt 05-04-2015 09:00 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I'm in the rare minority. I think FUNi nails comedy anime very well, I feel their scripts sometimes sound funnier than the Japanese versions.

Domayv 05-04-2015 06:49 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 93033)
I'm in the rare minority. I think FUNi nails comedy anime very well, I feel their scripts sometimes sound funnier than the Japanese versions.

Don't forget the fanservice titles.

HienFan 05-04-2015 10:02 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Don't forget the fanservice titles.
Oh hello Freezing

BlankSlate 08-16-2015 07:42 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I don't generally like English dubs of anime, but I finished the dub of Samurai 7, and despite a few assorted shortcomings and oddities it's a really strong dub with an entertaining voice cast. So I'm not really that biased. I do make a few exceptions to the rule.

Autovolt 08-17-2015 01:52 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domayv (Post 93065)
Don't forget the fanservice titles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 93072)
Oh hello Freezing

Man that show...ugh that wasn't that good. Outside of a few performances. I didn't enjoy it. Too pretentious for an ecchi show, they're suppose to be fun and the MC bleh.

Still Caitlin Glass, Cherami Leigh, Tia Ballard, Austin Tindle and Whitney Rodgers were excellent in the show in their respective roles.

apologizes for going off topic.

HienFan 08-18-2015 04:59 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Just to post this in public but it wouldn't be so bad if there's other geniune aspect like what XSEED said about Senran Kagura but for some of these harems like said Freezing to dub eh... I can see why some people thinks dubs are bad, cheese cake with gimmicky dark element HOW COOL THAT'S WHAT AMERICANS MUST LIEK


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.