Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Voice Actor Discussion (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing? (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595)

Gaddes 02-01-2015 06:17 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
It honestly still amazes me that the argument of "dubs suxor" still comes up in this day and age. I do agree though, most of the people that tend to hold these opinions tend to be raging Japanophiles. They're a small but still vocal minority.

Dubs as a whole have gotten way better as the year went by and bad dubs are pretty rare these days honestly.

Autovolt 02-02-2015 11:44 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
I have no clue in all honesty.

Some dubs do fall short of being good or as on par as the original Japanese version but a lot of the dubs I've watched are very solid and sometimes I feel can surpass the original plus I enjoy a lot of the voice work of the dub VA's.

What I do hate however is the whole notion and mentality that "All dub VA's are failed actors" or not at all fans of anime. Uh No. Most of the VA's that do dub anime actually are anime fans themselves or enjoy recording ADR. ADR isn't easy so many of the VA's that do so on a regular basis have my respect.

akersaotome 02-02-2015 02:19 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 88467)
Most of the VA's that do dub anime actually are anime fans themselves or enjoy recording ADR.

Agreed, since there is a now a generation of actors/actresses who grew up during the 1990's-2000's and are now part of the Anime VA community. Its good for us viewers to watch these actors/actresses grow. Maybe some of them will be able to branch out into other V.O projects like AAA game titles and pre-lay cartoons. Prime examples are Steve Blum, being in the Guinness book of world records and perhaps the biggest name voice actor in the world, Troy Baker; both of them dubbed Anime early in their v.o careers.

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-02-2015 03:29 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaddes (Post 88447)
It honestly still amazes me that the argument of "dubs suxor" still comes up in this day and age. I do agree though, most of the people that tend to hold these opinions tend to be raging Japanophiles. They're a small but still vocal minority.

Dubs as a whole have gotten way better as the year went by and bad dubs are pretty rare these days honestly.

This !!! But sadly people don’t see that and still think the original VA are perfect all the time, which is fine. However these original VA rather they’re American or Japanese or any other nationality CAN still have flaws. Hell I heard from several fans that seen DBZ it is original form isn't all great. The whole point is they’re not perfect EITHER. No one is nor anyone is perfect because of their preference either. The whole argument about not being a “True fan” or trolling Dub videos on YouTube is silly that why I bring up the whole superiority complex thing because it happens and it need to stop. That’s why I say respect is needed.

CDwaver 02-16-2015 08:58 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Beats me since dubs are far from being consistently bad anymore. I also hate when you get those peopel that are always, "Its always better in the original language, yadyada, The dub actors don't sound right." Sure because none of the Japanese voice actors are ever mediocre as well. *rolls eyes*

BoondocksXAfrofan 02-17-2015 01:15 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDwaver (Post 89051)
Beats me since dubs are far from being consistently bad anymore. I also hate when you get those peopel that are always, "Its always better in the original language, yadyada, The dub actors don't sound right." Sure because none of the Japanese voice actors are ever mediocre as well. *rolls eyes*

Agreed. Dubs came a long way. But, I guess you have those folks who would think otherwise, smh.

FMAlchemistfan01 04-29-2015 05:47 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 88412)
Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

i agree, they act like Bruce Falconer killed their family which he didnt.

Slingshot 04-29-2015 08:09 AM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 88412)
Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

Reply to a comment regarding sounding more like seiyu's

They are pushing it. English VA's should go for their own thing. Impersonating a seiyu is really hard to do. Copying their performance(or doing something inspired by it) is easier but I still think they should go for whatever voice they choose or think fits. The English version is the English version and the Japanese version is the Japanese version.

That being said I think the main reason is, well at least some comments say this, that they prefer the original Japanese source, and it ,mmay be some dumbs ruined it. 4kids is a good example with it's censoring, and FUNimation with it's original DBZ though I enjoyed the latter. Also some older dubs like Digimon got some hate just cause people hated the English voices, I don't recall exaxtly but there was some seiyu comparisons in there. I liked though, especially the villain voices. Just a few reasons and thoughts on the matter.

This^.
Funimation does a great job at dubbing. I actually think FUNimation does a better job at casting the roles and the over all voice work.

HienFan 04-29-2015 09:44 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

But I will give my two cent that OTHER dubs studios have a lot of hatred but I thought they could be very well casted or have distinctive works, I really like LA and 4Kids(including Pokemon USA) voice works

Domayv 04-29-2015 10:26 PM

Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HienFan (Post 92797)
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

Agreed with Shana. Whilst Josh Grelle and Cherami Leigh were fine for Yuji and Shana, respectively, most of the remainder is okay at best and poorly executed at worst. Additionally, much of the casting is incredibly haphazardly done (Greg Ayres sounded horrible as Keisaku Sato to the point that it basically desecrated Brad Swaile's version, and Micah being casted as Sorath, while fine on its own, Micah would have made an INFINITELY better fit for Keisaku than Greg since Micah is Dallas's answer to Brad Swaile. Additionally, Greg could have done Sorath instead of Keisaku and those two casting choices would have been much better than what was casted in the end). It seemed that Funi did that to get the series out as fast as possible (had the Geneon/Universal red tape BS not happen, then Funi might have been able to outsource the remainder to Ocean).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.