Behind The Voice Actors

Behind The Voice Actors (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Voice Actor Discussion (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct? (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14237)

Gaddes 02-08-2015 02:32 AM

Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 88555)
Their is the upcoming anime coming this spring called Rin-ne that was created by Rumiko Takahashi (creator of Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2) and it's being licensed by Viz.

It got me thinking if there was any anime that HAS to be dubbed at Ocean Group Studios it's this one. I mean almost all of the anime based on Takahashi's work had been dubbed in Vancouver before, it's only fair they should do so here.

Heck Kappei Yamaguchi and Satsuki Yukino are going to be in it, so naturally I think Richard Ian Cox and Kira Tozer should totally dub their character.

If I recall, that might just be the manga they are licensing, although, I wouldn't rule out the anime either.

CDwaver 02-16-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt (Post 88555)
Their is the upcoming anime coming this spring called Rin-ne that was created by Rumiko Takahashi (creator of Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2) and it's being licensed by Viz.

It got me thinking if there was any anime that HAS to be dubbed at Ocean Group Studios it's this one. I mean almost all of the anime based on Takahashi's work had been dubbed in Vancouver before, it's only fair they should do so here.

Heck Kappei Yamaguchi and Satsuki Yukino are going to be in it, so naturally I think Richard Ian Cox and Kira Tozer should totally dub their character.

Its almost like a tradition at this point to have Ian Cox in a Rumiko show dub, lol

NCZ 02-17-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domayv (Post 89107)
Atlus's Persona 5 would be far more likely to have its dub done in Vancouver.

In the sense that a .01% chance is more likely than a .000001% chance? :laughing:

Domayv 02-17-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaddes (Post 89110)
If Capcom Canada (formaly Blue Castle Games) does another game, then they might get a video game project, but as it stands now, Vancouver is strictly Hasbro properties.

Even for Capcom Vancouver's newest game (Dead Rising 3), it had a mixture of LA and Vancouver talent, and most likely the next game from them will have all of its voices done in LA (much like Dead Rising 1). Also for cartoons done in Vancouver, there's more than just Hasbro (which are only Littlest Pet Shop and MLP:FiM): there's the various properties from DHX Media such as Max Steel 2013, and the Marvel Knights Animation motion comics (I really wish Saban would step up to the Vancouver voiceover game and have some of their properties done there, considering that Saban's previous incarnation outsourced several of their shows to Vancouver)

Autovolt 04-11-2015 07:06 AM

Well Rin-ne was picked up by Sentai Filmworks. :banghead:

Ocean's never getting their comeback are they?

I wish Sentai would actually outsource this to Ocean just this once. It's so frustrating that Sentai is claiming every second anime that comes out, whatever hasn't already been done by FUNimation.

Most of Sentai's dub efforts are usually average or mediocre most of the time, with the rare great dub like Angel Beats! If it was Ocean doing this, I Know I can usually expect something good.

Like is it really that difficult to give Ocean some work every and now then? I recently found out that almost all of the dubs in Vancouver were unionized which might explain a lot actually, why they haven't gotten much as of late. I mean if we rarely gets Unionized dubs in the states as it is, why would they want to outsource to another country?

I mean FUNi and Sentai have many licenses, it'd be refreshing to outsource to lesser used studios. Even two or three dubs a year from Vancouver would be fine with me, just nothing at the moment is the problem. I'm sorry that i'm ranting but it's just so mad right now. :grumpy:

Is their a way to convince Sentai, FUNi and Viz to outsource to Ocean Studios as slim as it may be?

Pokejedservo 04-11-2015 08:33 AM

Sentai? Highly and I mean highly doubtful. FUNi? Maybe, but they would only do it if Ocean had any history with the franchise like Black Lagoon. (Unlike Sentai, FUNi can be genuinely willing to use Voice Talent outside of Texas but thats usually when the franchise was done with other companies and even then its not an absolute guarentee.) Though they could always use special guest voice talent like Scott McNeil in which they occasionallly still do such as how Scott was in the recent One Piece movie.

Now Viz on the other hand is your best bet here. Keep in mind before the mid-2000s when they became Viz Media, Ocean use to be their go-to studio throughout the 90s. In fact it wasn't until the mid-2000s that Viz started to focus more on Californian Voice Talent and even then they still do use Ocean occasionally such as Death Note and Inuyasha Final Act. But still if there was any company that could give OCean their comeback when it comes to anime it would be Viz. (Besides they might be tempted to go back to Vancouver a bit more often instead of California due to how Viz has been having problems doing non-union dubs recently. Namely certain voice actors such as David Lodge resigning from their work on certain roles due to pay disputes.)

tmnisaac 04-11-2015 11:07 AM

Ocean Productions has become Ocean Media.

Ocean Media did the English dub of B-Damon FireBlast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1b9DunBN0

I think that will help you with the question.

:D

NCZ 04-11-2015 11:09 AM

I'm more impressed that B-Daman is apparently still going on.

tmnisaac 04-11-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCZ (Post 91667)
I'm more impressed that B-Daman is apparently still going on.

The Dub was released in North America through a new APP for iPhones and iPads for the 9 episodes in English.

Autovolt 04-11-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmnisaac (Post 91666)
Ocean Productions has become Ocean Media.

Ocean Media did the English dub of B-Damon FireBlast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1b9DunBN0

I think that will help you with the question.

:D

Brad Swaile's in a new dub. That's awesome. He hasn't done anything since voicing Rock in Black Lagoon.

I also like seeing Alex Zahara, Dean Redman and Brenna O'Brien in that cast list too. Some of the real good underrated and underused VA's Ocean has had at their disposal.

I used to watch B-Daman back in the day, I might have to check this out.

To quote Drift in Age of Extinction..."At Last There is Still Hope After All!" But it would be nice if Ocean Media gets their hands on some properties that aren't toyetic like the anime they used to do. Still I'll take anything at this point.