Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > LichaRose

Conversation Between LichaRose and HienFan
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 12
  1. HienFan
    07-16-2015
    HienFan
    Heard of William Ross, I believe he also voice direct Dynasty Warriors 2 and Ys 3? Dynasty Warriors 2 was okay if a bit a cartoonish at times but Ys 3 is only so so, according to a voice actress before guests are wiped out, she didn't know what her character look like
  2. LichaRose
    07-16-2015
    LichaRose
    Yeah, there were times that Toho would commission dubs right through a studio in Japan (William Ross' Frontier Enterprises), or they'd go to Hong Kong. William Ross' directing seems to have been pretty hit-or-miss, like his dub of "Mystery of Mamo" seems pretty liked in spite of its awkwardness, but then you have "Legend of the Super Galaxy" and "The Dagger of Kamui" that don't really get high marks among fans. Ross was also behind the dub of Princess Knight, which was probably one of his earliest anime dubs he'd been involved in.
    The direction in Super Galaxy was definitely inconsistent too, as shown by how Jet's voice pitch and accent change every other line, and how GB (or "O'Shaughnessy") can't decide if his accent is Irish or Scottish, or then lacks an accent in some lines. I found Albert's actor to be the standout of the cast, and even he couldn't escape awkward line readings.
  3. HienFan
    07-15-2015
    HienFan
    But I have to admit that I noticed a lot of widely despised dub are recorded in Japan, the sad thing is they can do a good work as seen in Tekken 5 but for some reason they usually get mediocre directing like in the Super Galaxy film
  4. LichaRose
    07-15-2015
    LichaRose
    I'm still holding out hope someone might be able to license-rescue the 2001 series, like maybe Discotek or FUNi. It's kind of up in the air if Sony still has the license, since they said they couldn't legally stream the series on Crackle due to rights issues (some think the music, some think Avex has full rights back) and that was four years ago.
    Almost all the episodes of the dub have been found in varying conditions, due to fans having VHS recordings. Right now, the "God's War" episodes would only be in possession of lucky Australian fans that might have recorded those, and I hope some day we could hear how they were handled in the dub.
  5. HienFan
    07-15-2015
    HienFan
    The 2001 series had a very good dub and NYAV dub is generally the better stuff for New York dubbing
  6. LichaRose
    07-15-2015
    LichaRose
    In general, I think the cast for 2001 series' dub and RE: Cyborg dub were more effective than that old one for Super Galaxy. Though, the voice actor for 004 from that was still good all things considered (IMO), and it seems he's still active in the voice over business to some extent! He's got quite the samples on his site.
    http://www.nieskens.net/

Interestingly enough, before RE: became an actual film, there was a CGI demo short made by Mamoru Oshii. Karen Strassman provided 003's lines in it, due to the fact that she can speak French. I kind of wonder how she would have been as 003 in the dub. 002 also has a line in there, with Reuben Langdon providing the voice. Don't think they'd be enough for a VC, but it's still kind of noteworthy.
    https://vimeo.com/24259432
  7. LichaRose
    07-15-2015
    LichaRose
    Yeah, Erin Fitzgerald was good but I felt like the direction for her got a bit too robotic at points. They allegedly had to do some retakes on the dub, so I'm curious what might have been wrong the first time around with the direction or voicing.

It's kind of funny that out of the Sony dub cast, Sorich was the only one who wound up contacted and cast, but for an entirely different role. I also found it pretty neat they managed to get some actors that usually did Western animation, like Blanc, Mitchell, and Banks.
    Kirk Thornton theoretically could've worked out for the dub, seeing as he's done some stuff with NYAV, but he either wasn't contacted or wasn't what they were looking for in voice for Jet or anyone else. The samples I linked in the thread were where I thought Diraison worked best, since there are some other scenes where his voice is kinda less emotive and might not have seemed the best to judge by.
  8. HienFan
    07-15-2015
    HienFan
    I think I like Michael Sorich the most for 006, he sounded pretty similar to Steve and had a cool Chinese accent
    I prefer Michael Sorich a lot more as 007, it'll be him as two Cyborgs in my head
    008 was so so, the accent made him sound a bit goofy
    Paul is good but Simon was more distinct
  9. HienFan
    07-15-2015
    HienFan
    Heard the ReCyborg voice, whoa Jason sounds eerily like Joshua(and once again another great work from him), I'll stick to Joshua but they're a very close tie

001 is okay, she's 2nd after Robert
    002 sounds so much like Zoro, I think Kirk is better
    I like how Erin added an accent for 003 but the voice is too deep
    004 is okay though again I prefer the 2001 series
    005 is good but I'll stick to Beau
  10. HienFan
    07-03-2015
    HienFan
    I've been wanting to watch that movie but I'll wait until the dub arrives to see for myself, Jason is a pretty polarizing actor but I like his work in general(well not his Yasopp but that's another story)