Green Lantern / Hal Jordan
Green Lantern Green Lantern

Green Lantern / Hal Jordan

Comparision of the voice over actors who have been the voice of Green Lantern / Hal Jordan with sound clips and images.
Franchise: Green Lantern

Hal Jordan is an air force test pilot who was the first human of Earth to ever be inducted into the Green Lantern Corps. He has been called by some to be the greatest Green Lantern of all time and is also a founding member of the Justice League.

He has also been known as Parallax and The Spectre. He also was the first Green Lantern to recite the famous oath that is now said by many other Green Lanterns.

When he first started his training as a Green Lantern, Hal Jordan was trained by Sinestro and Kilowog. As a Green Lantern he is vulnerable to the color yellow.
Created by Foxwolf on Jul 19 2009
Special thanks to Jackson_H, NCZ, Music Meister, solidejake for additional sound clips.
Aquaman (1967)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanGerald Mohr
Gerald Mohr
Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanMichael Rye
Michael Rye
Duck Dodgers (2003)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanKevin Smith
Kevin Smith
The Batman (2004)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanDermot Mulroney
Dermot Mulroney
Justice League Unlimited (2004)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanAdam Baldwin
Adam Baldwin
Justice League Heroes (2006)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJohn Rubinow
John Rubinow
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2008)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanLoren Lester
Loren Lester
Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe (2008)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJosh Phillips
Josh Phillips
Justice League The New Frontier (2008)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanDavid Boreanaz
David Boreanaz
Green Lantern: First Flight (2009)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanChristopher Meloni
Christopher Meloni
DC Super Friends (2010)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanGrant Moninger
Grant Moninger
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanNolan North
Nolan North
LittleBigPlanet 2 (2011)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJoseph May
Joseph May
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanNathan Fillion
Nathan Fillion
Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters (2011)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanRyan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds
DC Universe Online (2011)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanAaron Mace
Aaron Mace
Green Lantern: The Animated Series (2012)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJosh Keaton
Josh Keaton
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (2012)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanCam Clarke
Cam Clarke
The LEGO Movie (2014)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJonah Hill
Jonah Hill
Justice League: War (2014)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanJustin Kirk
Justin Kirk
Injustice 2 (2017)
Green Lantern / Hal JordanSteve Blum
Steve Blum
DC Super Friends
Green Lantern / Hal JordanWally Wingert
Wally Wingert

Comments

Troodon2
said at 11:36 AM on Tue Jul 4 2017
I'm gonna try and run this down as good as I can.

Nathan Fillion IS Hal Jordan, he captures the attitude, mannerism and even his heroic guidance perfectly.

Josh Keaton is probably my 2nd favorite, it's a nice out of the box casting choice for him, and even if he does sound a bit young for the role he still conveys the character of Hal just as well as Nathan.

Christopher Meloni is third by my count; a bit more rash than Nathan but that sort of plays into the character's origin as well as his usual demeanor as a cocky daredevil.

Dermot Mulroney may be a bit more serious, but to be fair Green Lanterns are space cops and Hal does have priorities so I guess it works.

Loren Lester is also a nice out of the box cast for Hal, sounds just as headstrong as Meloni though still competent on his own.

Adam Baldwin, David Boreanaz, Justin Kirk, Cam Clarke, Wally Wingert, and Nolan North are all okay; Nolan in particular is perhaps the best by default; not saying he's not good, in fact they're all pretty good but not quite as comparable as my personal faves.

Then of course there's Steve Blum; maybe I'm talking as a fan of this guy, but regardless of what most people say, I don't think Steve is that bad. Sure his demeanor may be a bit strung for Hal's heroic nature but he still does got the authority right. Maybe if his performance were like Heatwave in Rescue Bot, with a loosened gravel and a little lighter pitch he may have done better.

BONUS: Having heard his performance as Bumblebee in RID I Will Friedle would make a good Hal, a nice out of the box casting like with Josh Keaton, more out of the box casts I think could work would be Dee Bradley Baker, Peter New, Brian Drummond or Patrick Seitz, and maybe Fred Tatasciore using his Ben 10000 voice.

For more obvious choices there's always Troy Baker, Roger Craig Smith, Brian Bloom, Travis Willingham, Liam O'Brien, David Kaye, Robin Atkin Downes, Ray Chase, Mick Wingert, Eric Bauza and of course Alan Tudyk.

I also agree with Lion Edge's and Autovolt's ideas; particularly Crispin Freeman, Matt Mercer and Chris Cox.
Lpfan120
said at 4:40 PM on Sun Jul 2 2017
Steven Blum as Hal Jordan,
That should be perfect.
Why isn't it perfect?

Well, the writing makes Hal a little too serious. I like the way he delivered the GL oath though, that was pretty awesome.
Troodon2
said at 7:04 PM on Tue Jun 27 2017
I'll reserve my full thoughts on Steve's Hal for my own voice compare; but for now I'll just say that Steve Blum's performance was okay at best.
shadowlord
said at 6:12 PM on Tue Jun 27 2017
Out of all the performances in Injustice 2, Steve Blum stood out the least to me. While majority of the other cast members fit their characters like a glove there's nothing in Blum's performance that really makes me think of Hal Jordan. He sounds to deep and doesn't really bring enough personality to the role. Sticking with Fillion.
PacoSlimee
said at 11:48 AM on Tue Jun 27 2017
When given the chance, Steve actually gives Hal quite a bit of personality. That said it isn't really a standout performance.
Anicomicgeek
said at 10:06 AM on Tue Jun 27 2017
Steve Blum was serviceable, but nothing real special.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 6:47 AM on Tue Jun 27 2017
Standard Blum work. Not bad, but nothing different
Shaun Ince
said at 10:46 PM on Mon Jun 26 2017
The way I feel about Steve Blum's performance is the same way I felt about Nolan North's performance. It's not bad, but I don't really get a Hal Jordan vibe. He's just "there" I'll even go as far to say that I liked Nolan's performance more than Steve.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 10:23 PM on Mon Jun 26 2017
I think they forgot to give Steve direction, I mean his acting is fine but nothing really "Hal Jordan" about it.
Shame cause he could have worked.
batcool
said at 5:38 PM on Mon Jun 26 2017
1. Nathan Fillion is great as Green Lantern really bringing out the charm of the character as well as more emotional sides

2. Josh Keaton his performance in Green Lantern TAS was great also shows off his range and glad he got the chance to reprise the role in the Lego features as well JLA

3. Christopher Meloni was really good in the film especially since it was a Green Lantern origin film and he really nailed the aspect of that

Honorary Mentions: Josh Phillips, Adam Baldwin, Nolan North, Loren Lester, David Boreanaz, and Dermot Mulroney were also good

Side note: Kirby Morrow, Chris Cox, and Rob McCollum would good choices for Hal Jordan
wdf1
said at 9:28 PM on Thu Jun 22 2017
1. Nathan Fillion
2. Josh Keaton
3. Christopher Meloni
4. Nolan North
5. Adam Baldwin
Shiny Raticate
said at 9:46 PM on Sat May 27 2017
I started watching Green Lantern TAS last month and marathoned the whole thing. Didn't know Josh Keaton was Hal, it got my friend hooked because she loves Voltron and when I told her Shiro was basically the main character, I pulled her in too.
Josh had a really good voice to serve that sarcastic and snarky personality Hal has, but he also could get really pissed in an instant, which was a great emotional switch.
I'm not going to vote for anyone mainly because I don't have an overall main opinion, but I lean towards Keaton.
Lion's Edge
said at 3:51 AM on Sat May 20 2017
Not going to lie, I... actually kind of like Steve Blum as Hal. It is a MASSIVE step-up from Adam Baldwin who, to me, has never fit as Hal and I still am not feeling it even now. There's a confidence and coolness to the voice itself, especially in clash quotes, reminiscent of his Spike Spiegel (a pretty good vocal template to have built the performance on), and - yes- it's not as cool as Fillion nor as all-encompassing as Keaton for me, but it's definitely a stellar performance in its own right. I'd put it on par with Ryan Reynolds. I see him fitting more as Guy Gardner, but as Hal Jordan, he's serviceable.

My vote still goes to Josh; I feel it is distinct enough from his Spider-Man that I am not always hearing it, and I feel that - thanks to the material he's got - hes still the best at all-around encompassing both a lesser-experienced Green Lantern and the seasoned veteran.

REVISED TOP FIVE
1. Josh Keaton
2. Nathan Fillion
3. Michael Rye
4. Christopher Meloni
5. Ryan Reynolds/Steve Blum
skeletonking1234
said at 1:52 AM on Sat May 20 2017
Steve is really not all that standout to be honest. It's not bad, but it doesn't have the charm of Keaton or Fillion, and it just sounds like Steve is on autopilot.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 7:39 PM on Tue May 16 2017
Blum's pretty serviceable as Hal. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing that really stands out from either the other VOs for Hal or the other roles Blum has.

Also I'm gonna go ahead an be an idiot here: I really don't get the love for Josh Keaton's Hal. Objectively it's a perfectly fine performance. I just have a hard time unhearing Spidey whenever he talks. It just doesn't fit Hal to me
EPA Deane
said at 5:27 AM on Sat May 13 2017
"Do you hear me -- I'm a Green Lantern!! I swore an oath to protect this woebegone universe, and I won't turn my back on it now! So go on -- go back to your home worlds if you must. Meet death on your knees if that's the way you want it. But I remember a saying we used to have in the Corps -- "Once a Green Lantern, always a Green Lantern." So I'm going to use what little time my Power Ring has left, and I'm going to finish Krona -- even if I have to do it alone! "

While I am more Partial to John Stewart and Alan Scott as Characters, I do respect Hal Jordan's contributions as a Character and I am definitely enjoying The DC Rebirth Green Lantern Corps book he's leading in....

Here are my Top 5 Favourite Hal Jordan Voices:

5. Ryan Reynolds/ Dermot Mulroney
4. Adam Baldwin ('Injustice: Gods Among Us' and 'Infinite Crisis' Performances> Justice League Unlimited Performance)
3. Loren Lester
2. Josh Keaton/ Christopher Meloni
1. Nathan Fillion

Future VA Suggestions:

I think Gabriel Mann could be solid as Hal, using a more Rugged and Charismatic version of his Bruce Banner voice.

I also think Gideon Emery would be Excellent as Mr Jordan, using a more commanding version of his Gaius voice

I also Recommend Harry Connick Jr, Mark Meer, Michael Dobson and David Faustino.
EPA Deane
said at 2:36 AM on Sun Jul 16 2017
@EPA Deane Updated Ranking:

5. Ryan Reynolds/ Dermot Mulroney
3. Loren Lester/ David Boreanaz
2. Josh Keaton/ Christopher Meloni
1. Nathan Fillion

My Casting Recommendations remain the same.....
EPA Deane
said at 10:13 AM on Wed Jan 11 2017
When I hear Michael Rye's voice ..... I REALLY don't hear Hal Jordan.....

His Articulated Green Lantern voice sounds like a Much Better fit for A Golden Age Alan Scott.....

I'm sorry for upsetting fans of Superfriends-era Animated Series'..... But for me his voice here doesn't work for me.
EPA Deane
said at 8:08 AM on Tue Jan 17 2017
@EPA Deane Adam Baldwin's Hal Jordan sounds better in 'Injustice: Gods Among Us' and 'Infinite Crisis' IMO.
Starscreamsfan
said at 6:12 AM on Mon Jan 23 2017
@EPA Deane I dunno, I just can't see Mike's GL voice working for Alan Scott. For me, that voice just could fit Hal.

In fact, I actually imagine Alan having a much lighter and more soft-spoken yet still heroic voice (kinda like Paul Frees, Vic Perrin, Olan Soule and Norm Alden).
EPA Deane
said at 7:50 AM on Mon Jan 23 2017
@Starscreamsfan Oh Dear, I was expecting a complaint from a fan of Michael Rye......

His Hal Jordan Voice Reminded me of Corey Burton's voice for Alan Scott in 'Batman: The Brave And Bold'.

Having heard some of Michael Rye's work as Hal Jordan in The Super-Friends Era, I feel the voice he uses lack a rugged, Devil May Care attitude that I look for in the character...... hence why I prefer Nathan Fillion in the Role.
Starscreamsfan
said at 9:48 AM on Mon Jan 23 2017
@EPA Deane Not a complaint. Just an opinion.

Plus, Corey's voice is much lighter.
Lion's Edge
said at 10:44 AM on Sun Jan 8 2017
It was really hard trying to choose my top choice between two in particular here... but, by a hair, I am giving my vote to Josh Keaton. From his first appearance in GL:TAS through to his LEGO DC reprisals and on, even if it sounds a little younger than most of the others, there's a confidence, charm, attitude and also charisma that encapsulates everything about Hal. His comedic timing is also on point when it comes to delivery. And, if he deepened his pitch a little, I think he could also work well for an older, more experienced Hal Everything about Josh Keaton's performance has a charm to it, and I just narrowly have to give it an edge.

Literally just behind him, we then have Nathan Fillion. Similarly to Josh, there is this incredible charisma and confidence he carries in his performance; a mix of playfulness and warmth, of maturity but lightheartedness. His voice is also deep enough to present himself as a veteran GL... which may also be the one thing that makes me prefer Josh. I could see Josh as both a younger, less experienced Hal Jordan as well as a more seasoned GL, while I see Nathan as more the seasoned GL. Nonetheless, it is still an amazing performance, and I see why it is so many's favourite.

Third place, for me, tbh, Michael Rye. I can see why Starscreamsfan is such a huge fan of Michael Rye, there really is a warmth and confidence in his voice and, like such classic castings as Adam West's Batman, it easily stands the test of time and holds up even now. Compared to Josh and Nathan, I feel it's a little more one-noted as a performance, but context of the material makes me more lenient. He has a really fitting voice and performance to him; enough that I'm giving him the third place slot.

My fourth favourite here for Hal is probably Christopher Meloni. I feel he did really well in First Flight as a less experienced Hal, his pitch and delivery matched up well with the character and didn't feel forced nor flat, and handled the character's evolution into a more responsible Green Lantern well.

I am also a fan of Nolan North, Ryan Reynolds, Wally Wingert, Cam Clarke, Loren Lester, and Joseph May. Ryan Reynolds, in particular, I feel was one of the highlights of the otherwise underwhelming Green Lantern movie (tbh, a number of its castings are actually the strongest points for me); he definitely has the charm and charisma to pull Hal Jordan off, and despite the lack of great material, in both the movie proper and its tie-in game, Reynolds did not give a halfhearted performance and still gave his signature charm.

Not really feeling Adam Dennis Mulroney, John Rubinow, Aaron Mace, Gerald Mohr nor David Boreanaz much; nothing really to say about them aside from that. Adam Baldwin, I feel, is too deep and gruff for Hal Jordan, tbh; it never quite sat right with me. And Justin Kirk... I don't know if it's the slightly nasal tone he gives, or the way he is written, but his performance never felt right. He sounded more like a college frat boy, and the lack of any major character development did not help.

TOP FIVE:
1. Josh Keaton
2. Nathan Fillion
3. Michael Rye
4. Christopher Meloni
5. Ryan Reynolds

CASTING CALL; Perhaps a cliche choice but, thanks largely to his Hawkeye in EMH, I feel that Chris Cox could make for a really fun Hal Jordan; mixing charisma and determination with a playful cockiness that bounces well off of conflicting personalities, not to mention his one of voice also fits. Alternatively, Matt Lanter, I think, could really shine in this role. It is a deeper voice than my current favourite, but he has a really suiting "cool guy" voice; suave and charismatic, but also commanding and capable of softness and kindness. But I also feel he could play a side of Hal that many overlook... the Parallax days. Whether in the midst of a (hopefully better-written) downfall or as the guilt-ridden Lantern trying to atone for and step out of that shadow, his Anakin has shown me that Matt Lanter is at his strongest when playing roles faced with an ideological conflict, and the struggles of Anakin parallel with those of Hal eerily at points.
Starscreamsfan
said at 8:58 AM on Sun Jan 8 2017
VC thoughts update

Michael Rye will always be Green Lantern for me. He just sounds confident yet warm and he really fits the design quite well. I also love how he makes his Hal Jordan voice more soft-spoken than his GL voice. He was just the best casting choice of the SuperFriends and Super Powers tie-in cartoons, and I really think his performance holds up to this day. He's both fitting and entertainingly smug at the right times.

Nathan Fillion is second. He has the same type of charm that Mike had and his performance is really solid. Plus, he also has Mike's warmth, which is really nice. Overall, he's just another great fit and delivers the goods quite well.

Gerald Mohr's Bogart-esque voice is actually really fitting as well. He has a very warm tone and he also sounds courageous. Only problem is that he doesn't add a little bit more of a smug and confident personality like Mike and Nathan did, but he makes up for it with his delivery.

Christopher Meloni is really good for a less experienced Hal. He does fit Hal in his earlier days and like Nathan, his delivery does remind me quite a bit of Mike Rye. Another great GL performance.

Josh Keaton delivers a good performance as well. He sounds a little bit more experienced than Christopher, but not as experienced as Mike, Nathan and Gerald, which makes him a very good fit for a GL who has seen quite a bit, but he still has things to learn. It's another compelling GL performance.

I've also liked the performances delivered by Kevin Smith, Adam Baldwin, John Rubinow, Loren Lester, Josh Phillips, Nolan North, Ryan Reynolds, Joseph May, Cam Clarke, Jonah Hill and Wally Wingert.

Dermot Mulroney, David Boreanaz, Grant Moninger, Aaron Mace and Justin Kirk just don't do it for me. Mulroney sounds too brooding, Boreanaz isn't that memorable, Moninger's impression of Mike Rye sounds off at times, Mace is extremely stiff and Kirk is a big miscast.
Starscreamsfan
said at 6:04 AM on Tue Jun 27 2017
I really like Steve Blum in the role. Doesn't make my top five, but he really is pretty good. The rasp in his voice kinda reminds me of Gerald Mohr's take quite a bit.
bumblebeebug
said at 5:42 PM on Thu Mar 17 2016
Having watched more of his material as Green Lantern, I'm changing to Nathan Fillion. There's a certain charm to his performance that comes across really well.
GreenGoblin75
18. Jonah Hill
19. Grant Moninger
20. Justin Kirk
21. Josh Phillips
Autovolt
said at 6:40 AM on Sat Jan 9 2016
Hal Jordan, my favourite Green Lantern. If their is one thing I like about the current 52 roster, it's that they brought Hal back to the forefront. Hal's been around since the 50's so he's had numerous incarnations over the years and thus a lot of really solid performances.

If I had to with a favourite here, I'd have to go with the majority and go with Nathan Fillion, Nathan Fillion is every fanboy's hero. He's appeared in so many geeky things, he has a fun and fantastic charisma and he's ruggedly handsome (he's said so himself numerous times). I think most fans always wanted Nathan to play Hal in a live-action movie, unfortunately, I think the peak window for that to happen is sadly no longer there however it's always possible with voice acting and man does Nathan rock the role of Hal. I just think this is perfect casting and he fits the character to a tee. He can play him a cool hot shot rookie living life in the fast-lane, or play him as a respectable veteran of the corps for a few years now. This is probably why Andrea Romano gets him to reprise as often as both of them can. Pretty impressive for a non-New 52 nor DCAU casting choice huh?

My next favourite would have to be Josh Keaton from Green Lantern: The Animated Series and for a while now he was my personal favourite, and while I prefer Nathan just a smidge more now, Josh really was a fantastic Hal. GLTAS deserved to go on longer and I think they made Hal a really cool and likeable character in this show. Josh does sound young but he gets the attitude and charisma done perfectly. He works best as a young twenty-something Green Lantern rookie but I'm sure he could deepen his voice just a bit to show his age for a more experienced Hal. Still it's great he often reprises this role for many Lego adaptations.

Another of the stand outs is Michael Rye (one of Starscreamsfans's favourite performers) and I can totally get why this is his favourite Hal. He has that old timey heroic feel back when superheroes were more simpler and not as dark or as complex. I find Rye makes Hal a very likeable and dependable hero. Michael enjoyed playing Hal based on some of the interviews I've found of him and the fact he played him for such a long time in the 70's and 80's till the end of the Superfriends/Super Powers team era showed his dedication. I should mention Grant Moninger does a fantastic homage to Rye, even if it isn't my favourite casting it's nice to see this part of the DC cartoons past hasn't been completely forgotten.

I'm in the minority but I actually liked Ryan Reynolds in the Green Lantern movie, I dunno I just thought he worked well....in fact I actually like the movie. I felt the movie had some awesome casting choices despite the mediocre writing and numerous other issues. I thought Ryan tried his best as Hal despite all the issues and I feel he deserved some credit for working.

I really enjoyed the casting and performances of Wally Wingert, Joseph May, Cam Clarke, Loren Lester, Nolan North, Aaron Mace, Christopher Meloni and Kevin Smith as Hal Jordan, they all work really well despite not having the most material to work with.

I'm not really feeling Gerald Mohr, Adam Baldwin, David Boreanaz, Dermot Mulroney, Josh Phillips or John Rubinow at all as Hal. I feel personally they are miscast.

Justin Kirk really isn't that good. I'm not sure if its the voice or the way Hal is written but I'm not that found of him. I have to see him in a non-52 inspired project first before I'll really judge.

Lastly there is Jonah Hill from The Lego Movie as their own specific version of Hal. He was only casting because he and Channing Tatum (who did Superman) worked together in the directors other hit movie series 21/22 Jump Street, so Jonah as Hal annoys the crap out of Tatum/Superman and for that its hilarious....though he really doesn't fit a traditional Hal at all.

Overall Nathan Fillion is getting my vote but I also really love Josh Keaton and Michael Rye's performances too.

BONUS: For a while now I've wanted to see Kirby Morrow voice Green Lantern if Ocean ever gets the chance to work on a Justice League project. It might be typecasting but I don't care, he has the cool charisma for a role that can be played either as a hot shot rookie or a dependable dedicated member of the team. I also would like to see Crispin Freeman, Matthew Mercer, Robert McCollum, Eric Vale, Chris Cox and Matt Lanter all have a shot as Hal Jordan someday. They all have cool, cocky and likeable type of voices that would fit Hal well.
Lpfan120
said at 8:49 PM on Mon Jan 25 2016
@Autovolt I agree with what you said about Ryan Reynolds and the GL movie.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 9:55 PM on Sat Sep 12 2015
I'll group some actors together in my opinion because I share similar opinions and it would get repetitive to keep repeating them.

Gerald Mohr/Michael Rye: They are similar in that they both are typical 'deep voice hero' that the Super Friends series did. They both also have some awkward and stiff delivery. They work for their era but don't hold up.

Dermot Mulroney / David Boreanaz / Josh Phillips / Adam Baldwin / Nolan North: None of them are bad but their version of the character holds them back. Nolan's take says it best, these guys are playing more of a "beat cop". Not a bad take, some have cool deep or raspy/gruff voices, but they lack a certain charm and come off as too serious.

Kevin Smith / Joseph May / Wally Wingert: They are surprising choices that fit pretty well, the only thing that holds them back is limited material. I think they could really own the role if given another shot at their characters.

Cam Clarke / John Rubinow: The above group had limited material but at least sounded like they had potential. These two, I think would only be okay if given more lines.

Loren Lester / Christopher Meloni: Their alright, not great but not bad at all. Maybe I'd have stronger opinions if they reprise Hal but as of right now I think their decent.

Aaron Mace: He works as a mission giving, background explaining NPC but is a little too generic.

Ryan Reynolds: Ryan proved he is a pretty good voice actor and he was good in the movie (even if the movie wasn't) so I blame direction here. He's not BAD but he seems stiff in some lines. I think he could translate his good performance as Hal into voice acting given another chance.

Nathan Fillion: Nathan is one of everyone's favorites and I think he proves why. He's charming and likable (well, when the writing doesn't butcher Hal) but can give a mentor feel too him. A good performance all around.

Josh Keaton: Another popular and loved performance and it's obvious why. Josh brings his usual charming and snarky voice that he's used before but, as others have said, he does sounds a little too young. Not helped that he's used that voice for teenage characters. That said, I think he handles Hal's emotions better than others. His performance for Hal's more serious moments is really good, especially towards the end of the series. One of the shows major stand outs.

Grant Moninger: A funny kinda satire of the Super Friends acting and voices but is inconstant and forgettable.

Justin Kirk: Looking back, I can hear a LITTLE potential for a more accurate Hal. That said, his voice is too nasally and high which made the times when Hal complained in the movie come off as really whiny. Also, this version was written as a huge a-hole with no charm. Maybe if he got a second shot at Hal he could be SLIGHTLY more fitting but I think he wasn't the right man for the role.

Jonah Hill: He's funny for the kinda 'fan-boy' character the Lego Movie wanted him to be but as a more accurate Hal, he'd be a miscast. However, as a Kyle Rayner I think he'd work pretty well.

Ranking all these actors is a little hard because I grouped so many so I'll just say that I tie Nathan and Josh. I think Nathan has the better voice but Josh the better performance.
Anicomicgeek
said at 11:30 PM on Mon Sep 7 2015
Sticking with Nathan Fillion, though Wally Wingert was also good.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 7:43 PM on Mon Sep 7 2015
Jonah's funny and fits for what he needs to be.

Wally is a surprising yet super fitting. I hope he gets to do more as Hal.
Shaun Ince
said at 5:43 PM on Mon Sep 7 2015
My favorite Hal Jordan voices are Nathan Fillion, Nolan North, Josh Keaton & Adam Baldwin.
HienFan
16 Ryan Renolds
17 Gerald Mohr
18 Joseph May
19 Justin Kirk
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 11:26 PM on Fri Apr 3 2015
Ugh, I keep going back and forth between Keaton and Fillion. BOTH SOOOO GOOD.
Anicomicgeek
said at 9:31 PM on Fri Jan 23 2015
Justin Kirk wasn't all that good as Hal, he was too whiny, though that might be the writing. Justin May and John Rubinow were okay.

Sticking with Fillion.
Fulgore2005
said at 10:05 AM on Wed Nov 12 2014
As much as I like GL:TAS, no one does a better job than Nathan Fillon IMO.
Netherman14
said at 9:32 AM on Mon Sep 1 2014
There is something I noticed while contemplating Justice League: War, I've noticed that sometimes Hal acts like himself with his true personality, and then Kirk sounds really good, and in the scenes where Hal is given Guy Gardners' personality, this is where he sounds nasally.
Supergirlfan63
said at 4:41 PM on Tue Jul 1 2014
@Supergirlfan63*funny not fummy.
Supergirlfan63
said at 4:40 PM on Tue Jul 1 2014
Adam Baldwin for Post-Crisis, and Loren Lester for pre-crisis. Fummy how they picked Nightwing to play Hal in Brave and the bold.
PacoSlimee
said at 10:07 PM on Thu May 29 2014
I'm probably going to get hate for this, but am I the only one who thinks Fillion is bland and uninteresting?
Netherman14
said at 10:21 PM on Thu Jun 5 2014
@PacoSlimee I agree, he is not really special, I like Keaton better.
TheGreenSpeedster
said at 11:15 PM on Thu Jun 5 2014
@PacoSlimee
I'll admit he was a little bland in Emerald Knights, he was way better in Justice League Doom, at least in my opinion.
PacoSlimee
said at 11:34 PM on Thu Jun 5 2014
@TheGreenSpeedster To each their own.
Lpfan120
said at 5:11 PM on Wed Aug 20 2014
Then let me explain how; If you know Nathan, then you know that how he acts in real life, as a person, is very similar to how Hal acts in the comics. The witty charm and charisma that Nathan naturally gives off is pretty much Hal's character. People vote for him because, in a sense, (but not literally) Nathan IS Hal Jordan.
baronhighwind
said at 7:20 AM on Wed May 28 2014
I voted for Adam Baldwin because he is my preferred Hal Jordan voice actor. I enjoyed his short role in Justice League Unlimited and loved his performance in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
In my opinion my top three are
1. Adam Baldwin
2. Nathan Fillion
3. Josh Keaton
Bookman230
said at 11:58 PM on Tue Apr 15 2014
Much as I love GLTAS, gotta go with Fillion, with Keaton at a close second, and Meloni a decent third. Meloni sounds a bit like Raphael Sbarge to me, which makes me think. Anyone else think Sbarge could be a good Hal?
webmastersage
said at 12:50 PM on Wed Mar 12 2014
Nathan Fillon is Awesome for Hal Jordan's voice!!!!
llawliet159
said at 7:18 PM on Tue Mar 4 2014
In all honesty, I think Nathan Fillion should be Hal Jordan/Green Lantern for a live-action Justice League movie!
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 7:31 PM on Tue Mar 4 2014
@llawliet159

:-P
llawliet159
said at 1:24 PM on Sun Sep 28 2014
@Slick I'm actually happy that Nathan Fillion is voicing Green Lantern again in Throne of Atlantis movie
atlien
said at 7:33 PM on Fri Feb 28 2014
I like Christopher Meloni the best. I also like David Boreanez.
llawliet159
said at 6:10 PM on Tue Feb 4 2014
Joseph May > Justin Kirk. Okay, I admit it. Okay, okay? GOOD.
llawliet159
said at 6:11 PM on Tue Feb 4 2014
@llawliet159 And i'll admit that his take on Hal Jordan is tied with Josh Keaton and Nolan North O:
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 6:45 AM on Mon Feb 3 2014
Joseph is really good, He might tie with Josh and Nathan for my favorite Hal
PacoSlimee
said at 1:07 AM on Mon Feb 3 2014
Um, wow. Honestly Joseph May sounds almost too good. I'm almost considering changing my vote to him.
llawliet159
said at 2:51 PM on Sat Feb 1 2014
Justin Kirk was freaking annoying as Hal Jordan in Justice League: War...............

Still going with Nathan Fillion as the best, with Josh Keaton and Nolan North as runner-ups.
DravenRoth994
said at 10:48 PM on Thu Jan 30 2014
Now I have nothing against Justin Kirk as I literally never heard of him until JLW, but he was really OBNOXIOUS as Hal!!! He sounds rather miscast in the role, and those were his better moments in the clip? I can't imagine it being any worse but apparently it is. Of course the way Hal was written as well as the material he got doesn't help his case.

Anyway, my vote goes to Christopher Meloni, but Nathan Fillion is very close behind. I also liked Nolan, David, Dermot, Loren, Adam(for his Injustice performance), and Josh as well.
VctrBnsn
said at 10:12 AM on Thu Jan 30 2014
Sigh. Justin Kirk could of been SO much better if he didn't have that stupid New 52 personality.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 5:34 PM on Thu Jan 30 2014
@VctrBnsn Dont know of he has the right voice for Hal.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 6:00 PM on Wed Jan 29 2014
I actually went out of my way to try and avoid a lot of Hal's more annoying moments in the film for his clip.
That said, Hal mostly whined and complained and Justin's nasally voice made it come off a little annoying. In fact I was reminded of Nostalgic Critics review of Alien Resurrection and everytime I saw Hal I just thought "I better get a snow cone!"
I don't fault Justin, I'm sure he's a fine actor but here's a character who's known for his charm and it seems the movie forgot to give him any. He seemed more like Guy Gardner than Hal.
llawliet159
said at 7:55 AM on Thu Dec 19 2013
I'm going with Nathan Fillion, but Josh Keaton and Nolan North were great too as Hal Jordan!
Lpfan120
said at 9:47 PM on Fri Jun 21 2013
1. Nathan Fillion
2. Chris Meloni
3. Adam Baldwin
4. Dermot Mulroney

I personally think Josh Keaton would make a perfect fit for Kyle Rayner. (voice and maybe live-action too)
Lpfan120
said at 7:27 AM on Thu Jan 30 2014
Josh Keaton thinks so himself too.
skip to 2:20
Deadpool99
said at 3:23 PM on Fri Jun 14 2013
Top three

1. Nathan Fillion
2.Nolan North
3. Josh Keaton
TheGreenSpeedster
said at 2:10 AM on Mon May 6 2013
I'm going with Nathan Fillion but Josh Keaton is a very close second
sck_phantom
said at 12:17 PM on Tue Apr 30 2013
They're all really good, but as a hardcore fan of the animated series, Josh Keaton is definitely my favorite.
bumblebeebug
said at 7:49 PM on Fri Apr 26 2013
Hearing Adam Baldwin's performance in Injustice: Gods Among Us is more than a good enough reason for me to vote for him.
Spider-Fox
said at 6:59 PM on Mon Apr 22 2013
1. Josh Keaton
2. Nolan North
3. Adam Baldwin
4. Cam Clarke
5. Nathan Fillion
(My only experience with the character is with the 2012 animated series so Hardcore GL fans feel free to call me bias/an idiot/stupid etc.)
pokemastanumba1
said at 9:49 PM on Wed Apr 17 2013
Josh Keaton is my favorite, but I also like Loren Lester, Nolan North, and Cam Clarke.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:05 PM on Sat Mar 9 2013
Damn it, Bruce Timm. Don't make me like someone that's not Nathan Fillion more as Hal!

Changing my vote to Josh Keaton.
VctrBnsn
said at 4:38 PM on Sun Feb 24 2013
David Boreanaz - An underrated performance. I think he did a good job.
Dermont Mulroney - Another underrated performance.
Loren Lester - OK, nothing special.
Josh Phillips - Sounds like he's sucking helium on opposite day.
Michael Rye - Sounds too much like a superhero stereotype.
Christopher Meloni - A great performance, but all I hear is Detective Stabler.
Adam Baldwin - Just fine for a stand in performance.
Kevin Smith - A funny little cameo that actually kinda works.
Gerald Mohr - Better than Michael.
Nolan North - Although its basically his speaking voice, I always wanted to hear him take a crack at Green lantern, so I can't complain.
Grant Moninger - Meh.
Aaron Mace - not bad, not bad at all.
Ryan Reynolds - Much like his movie performance,
not much to praise. but it sounds like he tried his best.
Nathan Fillion - Almost perfect. I love hearing him voice the character in Robot Chicken as well.
Josh Keaton - Wasn't expecting him to be one of my favorites, but he is.
Cam Clarke - Same problem as Michael and Grant, but I do respect him as a voice actor.
VctrBnsn
said at 11:25 PM on Sat Apr 20 2013
@VctrBnsn They got Adam Baldwin back for Injustice, and I thought he was OK. He sounded a bit too raspy sometimes. Although Phil LaMarr, Alan Tudyk, and Richard Epcar really proved themselves as there respective characters, Adam didn't really change anything.
TheAtticus
said at 1:34 PM on Sat Feb 16 2013
I loved Nathan Fillion in Firefly, so it pains me to say that while he did a good job here, I honestly think that Josh Keaton is the superior Hal Jordan.
Josh really understands the gung-ho nature of the character, and he depicts him to a T.
justicedefender
said at 3:50 AM on Thu Mar 7 2013
@TheAtticus Honestly, if you watch "Justice League: Doom" you get to listen to Nathan give much more to the character...and I have to say that the depth he gives there demolishes Mr. Keaton's performance.
Netherman14
said at 9:41 AM on Mon Sep 1 2014
@justicedefender I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.
TheAtticus
said at 8:07 AM on Sun Oct 26 2014
@justicedefender I did, and you know what... yeah, he does. I change my mind.
MilanTheVillain01
said at 11:38 PM on Sun Jan 20 2013
# 1 - Nathan Fillion.
# 2 - Josh Keaton.
# 3 - Nolan North.
# 4 - Christopher Meloni.
# 5 - Cam Clarke.
# 6 - Adam Baldwin.
# 7 - David Boreanaz.
SpiderDreamer
said at 7:23 PM on Sun Jan 13 2013
Tough call, but I'm gonna have to go with Josh, although David and Chris Meloni are a close second and third. David was great for the 50s Hal Jordan, and effortlessly fit into the period "sound" with the other actors. Meloni brought a lot of charm, wit and intelligence to the proceedings.

But Josh has easily gotten the best modern Hal material to work with, and he's easily added another great heroic performance to his roster.
coolgeek176
said at 6:52 PM on Sun Nov 18 2012
I ike Nathan Fillion the most. Josh Keaton and Christopher Meloni are good too.
Anicomicgeek
said at 2:54 PM on Sat Nov 17 2012
Well, after an archive binge of First Flight, Emerald Knights, and Justice League: Doom, I'm gonna change my vote to Nathan Fillion, though I still think Christopher Meloni is good; it's just I now think Nathan Fillion is better.
TheAtticus
said at 1:51 AM on Tue Oct 23 2012
Half of me wants me to say Keaton; the other wants me to say Meloni.
Sokka2Me
said at 8:12 PM on Mon Oct 15 2012
I want to say Kevin Smith, but Chris Meloni has my vote
Grimlock2814
said at 8:57 PM on Sun Oct 14 2012
hard to say but Keaton, Fillion, and Meloni are my top 3
Patrick
said at 2:33 AM on Mon Sep 10 2012
My favorite is Michael Rye from the Superfriends.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 5:57 PM on Thu Jul 26 2012
Wish Cam went a little higher. Still Josh is once again a perfect fit for a comic character.
Autovolt
said at 2:31 PM on Sat Jul 14 2012
I like Josh Keaton the most.

Though I also like Nathan Fillion, Loren Lester, Nolan North and Christopher Meloni.
Bombermanp
said at 9:36 AM on Thu May 3 2012
....what they can afford to get loren to play hal jordan in brave and the bold but thy cant afford to hire him as nightwing again in anything else? wtf XD keatons got my vote but i do like lorens to
Anicomicgeek
said at 2:51 AM on Mon May 14 2012
@Bombermanp It probably isn't a matter of money, but just wanting someone different to voice Nightwing fr different incarnations.
AMT
said at 11:17 PM on Wed Mar 28 2012
I gotta go with Josh Keaton!
SparklyShake12
said at 1:55 AM on Wed Mar 7 2012
I voted Chris Meloni, but it's a 3-way tie of Meloni-North and Reynolds for me.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:57 PM on Sun Mar 4 2012
Josh Keaton was pretty good, but I still say Nathan Fillion's the best.
SmartyBoyboy
said at 7:01 PM on Fri Feb 24 2012
My top 5:
1. Christopher Meloni
2. Loren Lester
3. Nolan North
4. Adam Baldwin
5. Dermot Mulroney
Anicomicgeek
said at 12:52 AM on Sun Feb 12 2012
I really dug Christopher Meloni's Hal, so I'm going with him. That said, I also thoguht Nathan Fillon, Dermot Mulroney, David Boreanaz, and Nolan North were good as Hal, too.
Anicomicgeek
said at 10:10 PM on Sun Mar 4 2012
@Anicomicgeek Still think with Christopher Meloni was the best, but yeah, Josh Keaton was good.
pokemastanumba1
said at 7:35 PM on Tue Feb 7 2012
This is the most ridiculous voice compare I've ever seen. HALF of these guys are D-list Hollywood actors! What's up with THAT? (no offense though)

Anyway, I'm going with Nolan North on this one, even just for looking MORE like the role than the actors from the live-action films. Dermot Mulroney and Adam Baldwin were very good too.
pokemastanumba1
said at 11:37 PM on Mon Mar 12 2012
Josh Keaton is surprisingly very good too; I think he might be my new favorite. :)
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 10:28 PM on Tue Dec 20 2011
Nathan Fillion.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 2:28 PM on Sun Aug 7 2011
Aaron Mace, Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion now added!
atlien
said at 12:09 AM on Tue Jun 7 2011
I voted Christopher Meloni, but I also like David Boreanaz and Nolan North.
SupremeTarantulas
said at 1:41 PM on Sat Apr 2 2011
I thought Hal didn't appear in the Dcau
FanBoy
said at 5:53 AM on Fri Nov 11 2011
@pete In "The Once and Future Thing," the first season finale of JLU, there was a time travelling supervillain that kept changing history, including Hal being on the team instead of John. He had 2, maybe 3 lines with Adam Baldwin voicing him because he was already doing another character for the epiosde.
SalaComMander
said at 10:53 PM on Thu Mar 10 2011
Does anyone else find it weird that Nolan North has voiced Green Lantern AND Deadpool, and Ryan Reynolds plays Green Lantern AND Deadpool in the movies?
atlien
said at 12:10 AM on Tue Jun 7 2011
@SalaComMander Yes, that's a funny coincidence. It shows how closely related the characters are that the same time of actor could play each.
Aquafox84
said at 9:16 AM on Mon Jun 27 2011
@SalaComManderYep! I've noticed that when Ryan Reynolds was gaining steam as all the "Deadpool to Green Lantern" stuff was starting out. Nolan North still beat out Ryan Reynolds because Hulk Vs. Wolverine and Crisis of two earths were released a lot sooner.
ninjinister
said at 5:54 PM on Tue Oct 18 2011
@SalaComMander Well, as the joke goes, "Nolan North voices everyone".
pokemastanumba1
said at 7:18 PM on Tue Feb 7 2012
@SalaComMander Yeah, it's really funny. I mean, what kind of correlation was Hollywood making between the two? Just by looking at this VC, there's not much resemblance (if any) between the two, and they don't sound anything alike at all.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 8:51 PM on Mon Feb 27 2012
@SalaComMander And there's that alliteration...NN, RR? O_O
dtemplar
said at 8:52 PM on Sun Aug 29 2010
I wonder who's going to voice Hal in Young Justice?
pokemastanumba1
said at 7:24 PM on Tue Feb 7 2012
@dtemplar He's only had a cameo in the series thus far, and probably won't get a speaking role.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 8:52 PM on Mon Feb 27 2012
@dtemplar I remembered reading somewhere that Steve Blum would be voicing him, though I'm not 100% sure.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 5:58 AM on Fri Jul 27 2012
@dtemplar He was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker in the episode "Agendas", though GW said that Hal hasn't officially been cast yet, so chances are that he won't be voicing him in the long run.

dtemplar
said at 1:15 PM on Mon Jul 20 2009
On Michael Rye's VC, when he said, "I know," it sounded more like Adam West's Batman voice than GL's

6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016
THE BEST
Who do you think has been the best from these Green Lantern / Hal Jordan voice actors?
David Boreanaz