Browse VOICE COMPARE
GHIJKLM
NOPQRST
UVWXYZ
OTHER DRAGON BALL COMPARES
Dragon Ball

Voice Compare » Dragon Ball » King Kai / North Kai

Comparision of the voice over actors who have been the voice of King Kai / North Kai with sound clips and images.
King Kai is a deity and martial arts master. He oversees the north quadrant of the Universe and his planet is found at the end of Snake Way.

He has trained many disciples such as Goku, Piccolo, Tien, Chiaotzu and Yamcha. He lives with his monkey Bubbles and friend Gregory. He enjoys driving his car and telling jokes (most which are very corny and unfunny).

Despite his foolish nature he is also very wise and knowledgeable. He specializes in telepathic communication and also taught Goku the Spirit Bomb and Kaio-ken.
Created by Pokejedservo on Tue Dec 29 2009, 39 Comments, Add Comment
Dragon Ball Z (1996)
King Kai / North KaiDon Brown
Don Brown
Dragon Ball Z (1996)
King Kai / North KaiSean Schemmel
Sean Schemmel
Dragon Ball GT (2003)
King Kai / North KaiDean Galloway
Dean Galloway
Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might (1998)
King Kai / North KaiUnknown Voice Actor
Unknown Voice Actor

EDITOR'S OPINION

Well folks its been a little while since the last time I did a DBZ VC so I thought I do a little something here for the North Kai namely King Kai!

First of all we have Ocean Group VA Don Brown in which he is well known for doing goofy higher voices well and this is no exception. While Don Brown does get points on how it doesn't sound too much like his Pilaf/Garlic Jr. voices, he does do a suitable job portraying King Kai's Fozzie Bear-esque sense of humor but is capable of toning it down when Kai has to be serious.

Sean Schemmel is the current VA of King Kai in the FUNimation dub and is his 2nd most recognized voice just closely behind Goku. But while the original VA change from Ocean to FUNi has always been a controversial topic I always did find Sean Schemmel's King Kai to be one of the better changes. As much as I enjoyed Don Brown's King Kai back when the FUNi VA talent tried to be like the Ocean VA talent Sean Schemmel's King Kai was in spirit with Don Brown's work. (And to be honest I actually liked Sean's King Kai more than his Goku.)

And last but not least is Canadian VA Dean Galloway as King Kai in the Blue Water dub of DBGT and this was a rather pleasant surprise as well. While Dean seems to be Blue Water's "Go-to guy" for higher older male voices his voice was very much like Don Brown and Sean Schemmel's King Kai voice and is probably one of the better performances in the Blue Water DBGT dub.

So overall I liked all 3 of these performances and I am not quite sure who to pick here to be honest...

(Note: Found a clip of King Kai in the Malaysian English dub of the 3rd movie and while some might appreciate the idea of a King Kai from doesn't have a high voice but this just sounds WAY too awkward. Of course the overly thick accent doesn't help.)

Pokejedservo

Latest Comments

Metabad
said at 11:26 PM on Mon Jul 7 2014
Oh wow Don and Sean are tied right now.
pete
said at 1:09 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@Metabad THankt to me changing to Sean lol.
pete
said at 1:10 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@Metabad Changed back to Dean.
pete
said at 8:23 PM on Mon Jul 7 2014
"Goku, listen a troublesome thing has happened, troublesome tree that is called the Shimri Tree, was planted on the uh" He can't even pronounce Earth right, and the UVA has 3 votes? No offense but what's wrong with people? Hating on Sean is understandable, cause he made King Kai way too obnoxious, but going with a VA that can't even speak proper English? I hope that's just cause they find him hilarious.
Metabad
said at 12:33 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@pete What's worse is that he even has more votes than Dean Galloway, I know the Blue Water dub of Dragonball GT isn't the best, or even very good, but really? A guy who can't speak English at all is beating a guy who can? Sheesh.
pete
said at 1:11 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@Metabad My fault. GAve SEan a vote and Dean lost one, I tied him with the Unknown attrocity.
pete
said at 1:15 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@pete *Gave Sean
Metabad
said at 3:19 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@pete Didn't really mean to say it like it was your fault, but alright.
pete
said at 3:23 PM on Tue Jul 8 2014
@Metabad Don't woorry, you didn't, I just felt putting Dean in last and letting the UVA beat him, and though we need another San vote to tie the entire poll.
MicroPhoneBass
said at 5:14 PM on Sun Dec 22 2013
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
I thought Seans King Kai was very weird sounding and still do. He like hes trying to do an Eric Cartman impression or something.
He just has that weird way of talking with him. like hes chewing something while talking and has that slobberish sound to his voice that kind of downplays his Japanese counter part who was supposed to sound wiser.

Don was a lot better. He kind of sounds like one of those goofy church preachers. Though I prefer his voice over Seans because its clear and controlled in delivery. Don to me wasnt trying to force humour into his personality that wasnt already there in the script. His voice is clear and sounds more like a wiser character.
BlankSlate
said at 11:16 AM on Mon Feb 17 2014
@MicroPhoneBass So that's where Scott Frerichs got the voice from.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 8:40 PM on Tue Oct 8 2013
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
1. Don Brown - The best King Kai hands down. He sounds like a comical old fat guy in his default voice, but you really get the sense of a wise martial arts master in his performance too. The slight garble in his voice adds to his character and his pitch is just perfect.

2. Dean Galloway - Sounds a bit similar to Don Brown's, except his pitch is higher and his delivery is awkward at points. He nails the wise mentor tone, but I'm not sure how he'd do in his funny moments.

3. Sean Schemmel - I'm sorry, but I think this voice is stupid. I don't get "martial arts mentor" at all from this: I just hear a comical fatso with a forced lisp and an unnatural, growly, screechy, ugly voice. It's more obnoxious than it is funny. I usually love Sean, but this is one of his worst roles and I hate that they never recast it. And I disagree with the editor that he's in any way in spirit with Don Brown's take, or better than his much more natural Goku.

4. UVA - ....I'd rather hear Sean's King Kai over this. This one isn't just not wise sounding: he sounds flat out DUMB. I keep expecting him to go "duuuhhhh."
pete
said at 8:17 PM on Mon Jul 7 2014
@Galactic_Cyrus He almost did, listen to the way he said Earth.
Soldierkei
said at 5:09 PM on Mon Sep 30 2013
I feel like the voice Sean gave King Kai sort of made the character better as a whole period. It's just unique and hilarious. And that laugh? Forget about it!
OldSchoolFTW
said at 12:40 PM on Wed Aug 21 2013
I love Sean Schemmel as Goku, but I have to say Don Brown is much better as King Kai. Even though I like his King Kai (here, it's out of nostalgia), Don is just more the martial arts master voice I'd imagine coming out of the character. Dean Galloway is okay, but he's even more obnoxious than Sean is in the role.

I'm not even going to start on why the Unknown is totally wrong with that thick Malaysian English accent in my eyes. Though I do somewhat appreciate that it doesn't have a lisp, I guess...

All in all, Don's the best here, Sean is second best, Dean is an okay third, and the Unknown is a very, very, very distant fourth.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 10:57 PM on Wed Jun 5 2013
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Maybe it's just my childhood nostalgia speaking, but I honestly DO like Sean Schemmel's version of the character. I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it since sounds absolutely cartoonish. However, I always felt it fit his appearance, and Sean's voice may be pretty obnoxious but his acting is more than solid and I got a charming mix of humor and wisdom while listening to his performance. I guess I'll toss objectivity out the window this time and vote for Sean.

Don Brown sounds like he was probably awesome just judging by the clip, but Sean's voice as King Kai is one I look fondly on and it has it's place in my childhood and I honestly don't care if some people think it's obnoxious. To me, it was his most memorable quality.
coolgeek176
said at 11:41 PM on Sat Mar 16 2013
 1 Shout Out! [?]
I like Sean the most.
Manch
said at 1:28 AM on Thu Oct 25 2012
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Had to break the tie and give Don Brown the win. Sean Schemmel sounds like he has food in his mouth.
Fulgore2005
said at 5:08 PM on Wed Sep 5 2012
 4 Shout Outs! [?]
Don Brown automatically gets my vote. He sounds closer to how I would imagine an experienced martial artist with a silly sense of humour to sound.

As much as I like most of Sean Schemmel's roles, he always sounds obnoxious in the role. And still does in Kai.
dbret12
said at 11:06 PM on Tue Aug 14 2012
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
I prefer Kaio-sama's Japanese voice.
TheMan
said at 6:18 PM on Fri Aug 10 2012
 4 Shout Outs! [?]
Someone voted for the unknown VA? ROFL. Troll! XD.
YourBuddyDean
said at 4:47 PM on Tue Jul 17 2012
Brown.
Weirdperson31
said at 10:16 PM on Sat Dec 3 2011
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
What's with all the horrible unknown VAs on the DBZ pages!?
Nightmare Crusher
said at 9:22 PM on Wed Jan 11 2012
@Weirdperson31 The rights to DBZ got passed around to various companies across the world, these abominations are the result.
pete
said at 10:27 PM on Fri May 4 2012
@Weirdperson31 they're mostly from countries with talentless VA's like Malaysia.
pete
said at 12:52 AM on Fri Jun 1 2012
@pete and Unknown Via sounds so monotone like Ben Stein is playing him.
Metabad
said at 3:39 PM on Tue Aug 9 2011
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Don Brown all the way, though Dean Galloway wasn't too bad either.
ConfusedPhantom
said at 1:45 AM on Mon Apr 25 2011
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Sean Schemmel's rendition of King Kai is awful. There would be scenes where King Kai tries to reach out to the audience to try and explain the situation, but his voice just doesn't connect with me, considering he's supposed to be a sage-like character. And in emotional scenes, he's just plain miserable. Especially that "crying" he did somewhere in the Freeza battle in Kai...

Can't say I care much of the others, but Don Brown, I guess is ok.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 1:58 AM on Sat Apr 16 2011
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
Sean Schemmel is a perfect Goku but has been consistently awful and obnoxious as King Kai. Don Brown had a silly voice while still being able to sell that he was a wise martial arts master, so he gets my vote.
pete
said at 9:55 PM on Sat Mar 5 2011
 1 Shout Out! [?]
I know who the unknown actor is BEN STEIN
austinguy (Guest)
said at 5:49 PM on Thu Jan 27 2011
Sean Schemmel wins. His voice really, really matches his appearance to me (a fat, short blue dude with sunglasses) and his more comedic personality (though his "wise martial artist" personality is sorely lacking, but I can making up for that) and Sean has evolved from the awkward-ness of the Frieza Saga to a great actor. So, Sean.
purplewarrior (Guest)
said at 11:12 PM on Thu Sep 2 2010
Say what you want. That unknown actor just plain sucks. I doubt he can even speak English!

Sean Schemmel FTW, though Don Brown wasn't too bad either!
bkev (Guest)
said at 4:02 AM on Sun Aug 15 2010
Dean Galloway... I know Blue Water studios isn't popular, but it's the least obnoxious. I hate the voice to begin with.
anonymous (Guest)
said at 4:28 PM on Wed Jul 14 2010
Don Brown. Quite easily.
spencer (Guest)
said at 1:38 AM on Fri Jan 22 2010
Sean Schemmel
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 12:17 AM on Sat Jan 2 2010
I personally like Sean Schemmel's voice the best. The others all did a great job but Sean's version actually makes the corny jokes funny (for me anyways).
czizzi (Guest)
said at 11:55 PM on Fri Jan 1 2010
I prefer Don Brown's performance. Sean and Dean are pretty decent voice matches. I agree with penguintruth, however in that the dub King Kai is unecessarily obnoxious.
penguintruth (Guest)
said at 2:12 AM on Wed Dec 30 2009
They all sound much more obnoxious than necessary. I prefer the deep, sage, authoratative quality of the Japanese voice. It makes the silly things he says funnier.

Of those three, Don Brown, I suppose.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 12:24 AM on Wed Dec 30 2009
I liked them all. Sean and Don tied for first, with Dean for second.

A favorite Voice Compare
for 7 members.
BTVA POLL
Who do you think has been the best from these King Kai voice actors?
Don Brown