Dr. Gero / Android 20
Dragon Ball Dragon Ball

Dr. Gero / Android 20

Comparision of the voice over actors who have been the voice of Dr. Gero / Android 20 with sound clips and images.
Franchise: Dragon Ball

Dr. Gero was the original creator of the Red Ribbon Army and creator of Android 8, Android 16, Android 17, Android 18, Android 19 and Cell. He also transformed himself into Android 20.

Created by Pokejedservo on Jul 9 2009
Special thanks to Foxwolf, NCZ for additional sound clips.
Dragon Ball Z (1996)
Dr. Gero / Android 20Kent Williams
Kent Williams
Dragon Ball Z (1996)
Dr. Gero / Android 20Brian Dobson
Brian Dobson
Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13! (2003)
Dr. Gero / Android 20Ed Marcus
Ed Marcus
Dragon Ball GT (2003)
Dr. Gero / Android 20Jonathan Love
Jonathan Love

EDITOR'S OPINION

Ah yes Dr. Gero, aka Android 20--not exactly one of the smartest "Super Geniuses in Robotics" but that's a different story. He is also today's subject for a Voice Compare.

First up, we have Kent Williams for FUNimation's side, the first English VA for the not-so good Doctor. While Kent Williams' acting career began in the early 1970's, Dr. Gero was one of his earlier voice acting roles. And while it's not his finest work--even regarding the DB characters he voiced--it certainly works well enough.

And as for the EuroCanadian dub of DBZ, we have one of the Dobson brothers--Brian Dobson. In retrospect, Brian Dobson probably wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to Ocean's VA talent, but this dub often wanted to go for "sound-a-likes" and in this case it worked. The difference between the voices are fairly existent, but very small.

And the last, but in a way the least, is Jonathan Love in the Blue Water dub for DBGT. First of all: okay, who forgot to tell him that he was voicing an old man? Seriously, is it just me or does his voice sound a little too young for an old man like Dr. Gero? But while his voice is definitely the weakest among the Gero voices, his acting is not that bad. So the worst thing I can say about Jonathan Love in this case is that he was VERY much miscast as Dr. Gero IMO.

So basically to make a long story short, to me it's a tie between Kent Williams and Brian Dobson--with Jonathan Love at dead last.

Pokejedservo

Comments

GreenGoblin75
said at 6:19 PM on Mon Mar 7 2016
1. Kent
2. Ed
3. Brian
4. Jonathan
Nightmare Crusher
said at 5:13 AM on Tue Feb 23 2016
"How could ya dare ta do that?"

Terrible writing aside, Ed Marcus' voice does work for Gero.
Dr.Who
said at 4:48 AM on Tue Feb 23 2016
Ed's performances tend to work where he's voicing elderly men, for obvious reasons. I think Android 20 here and Roshi are his best voices from him in the "Big Green"/AB Groupe dub, honestly.
Polyester Funk
said at 12:31 AM on Tue Feb 23 2016
Ed' s gruff, older-sounding voice fits Dr. Gero well.
Zillah
said at 9:49 PM on Mon Feb 22 2016
Ed... actually works here...
HylianBelmont
said at 12:37 AM on Tue Feb 23 2016
@Zillah It's a shame he got so little to work with honestly.
pete
said at 12:05 PM on Thu Feb 25 2016
@HylianBelmont Wasn't he the backup computer version of Dr. Gero too?
Kioea
said at 12:24 PM on Thu Feb 25 2016
@pete No. The AB dub followed the Japanese original on that score, so the computer doesn't actually talk.
Autovolt
said at 5:19 PM on Sat Jan 9 2016
Kent Williams is fantastic as Dr. Gero, he's perfect as this arrogant and elderly mad scientist.

Brian Dobson does captures a lot of the qualities of Dr. Gero, he does sound more robotic but at the same time he doesn't sound the exact age I'd imagine Gero to sound like.

Jonathan Love sounds way too miscast. His delivery is good however his voice sounds way too young, younger than Brian Dobson's version.

I personally would cast Ron Halder as Dr. Gero in the Ocean dub of Kai.
Autovolt
said at 7:11 AM on Wed Feb 24 2016
Oh hey Ed Marcus is actually rather fitting as Dr. Gero. He actually sounds age appropriate.
Dr.Who
said at 9:07 AM on Sun Nov 29 2015
Kent's take is better acted, Dobson is a pretty good second, and Love sounds way, way too young and miscast.
Kioea
said at 10:29 AM on Wed Nov 4 2015
1. Kent Williams
2. Brian Dobson
3. Jonathan Love
4. Ed Marcus (AB dub)
Shaun Ince
said at 6:49 AM on Wed Nov 4 2015
Kent Williams is the better Dr Gero.
HylianBelmont
said at 2:49 AM on Wed Nov 4 2015
I'd say it's a tie between Kent and Brian.
HienFan
said at 7:09 AM on Mon Mar 2 2015
1 Brian
2 Kent
3 Jon
Savate
said at 4:45 PM on Sat Aug 9 2014
Kent Williams is the best of the group, IMO, as he sounds very natural and extremely fitting for Dr. Gero.

Brian Dobson is a very close second, but it seemed more like he was trying to be a sound-alike to Kent Williams in the role and as a result his acting isn't quite as natural.

Jonathan Love is clearly the weakest link here: he doesn't sound like an old man in this role...way too young sounding.
Bauglir100
said at 10:56 AM on Thu Jun 12 2014
Could Jim Cummings do a good Dr. Gero? I think his voice would actually suit his design quite well.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 11:13 AM on Thu Jun 12 2014
@Bauglir100 Oh, most definitely. I don't think it would happen in a thousand years, but if it did, it would be flippin' awesome!
Savate
said at 4:43 PM on Sat Aug 9 2014
@PsychicVoiceSpy
Jim Cummings as Dr. Gero would be really fitting, but it'd also make me crack up at the same time if he did something like what he did for Dr. Eggman/Robotnik: "Mmm...yes, that's DEL-ICI-OUS!"
Polyester Funk
said at 10:35 PM on Sun May 4 2014
Kent Williams is the best here. Brian Dobson was good, but he sounds a bit too robotic and that would otherwise work, except that Dr. Gero was human before becoming an android. Jonathan Love sounds too young for this guy.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 7:05 AM on Fri Jan 31 2014
Both Kent and Brian sound so much alike, almost identical, and both are suitable. Jonathan Love was miscast and sounds way too young.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 1:54 PM on Tue Aug 20 2013
Kent is the best, and has this really evil scientist feel to his voice. Sounds really aged, too.

Brian at a very close second. Apart from sounding a bit more artificial and less natural, he nails the creepy feeling even better than Kent, but he's in second.

Lastly is Love, who is horrendous in the role. I don't know why he sounds so bad. I've heard decent things from him in his other performances in some other media, but this is definitely not one of them.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 4:54 PM on Tue Oct 8 2013
@OldSchoolFTW Exactly my feelings.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 8:19 PM on Thu Jun 13 2013
Kent Williams sounds very age appropriate and natural, however, Brian Dobson is pretty creepy and I like how he's a touch robotic but still menacing. Kent is the one I vote for though because he sounds a little more natural.
Fulgore2005
said at 12:20 PM on Tue Apr 9 2013
Kent Williams- Definitely the voice that springs to mind when I think of Gero. Definitely captures the age while also giving a sense of an evil scientist.

Brian Dobson- The robotic android feeling definitely exists in his performance. There was also hints of age too. A great example of Brian's range.

Jonathan Love- It hugely pains me to hear such a poor performance form Love. That is because i thought his Paptimus Scirocco was fantastic. But it was probably the fault of the director for Love's Gero.
pete
said at 4:09 PM on Tue Jun 18 2013
@Fulgore2005 Not the worst in the Blue Water Dub though.
coolgeek176
said at 9:59 PM on Sun Dec 30 2012
I'm going with Kent Williams. Brian Dobson is okay. Jonathan Love is miscast.
Metabad
said at 11:35 PM on Wed Jul 13 2011
Anyways, for me it's close. Both Kent Williams and Brian Dobson fit Dr. Gero very well, the former sounding more old and the latter sounding more robotic. Very fitting for a robotic old man. Jonathan Love doesn't even come close to either of them I'm afraid. A very tough decision indeed, however I believe I shall ultimately go with Brian since his performance just gives off a creepier vibe than the others.
pete
said at 5:23 PM on Wed Nov 14 2012
@Metabad Well Love isn't close his voice isn't that bad and one of the better in that dub. It's way better than the one for Dr. Myuu and does sound like a mad scientist somewhat. He had a decent laugh too though it needed work.
Metabad
said at 11:35 PM on Thu Nov 15 2012
@pete I do agree to an extent, I heard the entire exchange between them on another site and it seemed a bit better as a whole. Its not necessarily a bad voice in and of itself I suppose, but it just doesn't fit Gero at all, it sounds too young and not at all robotic.

The Blue Water dub of GT as a whole wasn't really all that great, I do like them for their video game dubs which are top-notch and they have some of my favourite actors (Roger Rhodes and Dave Pettitt in particular) but their anime dubs seem to fall flat for the most part. I have heard good things about their G Gundam dub, but I've never watched any Gundam series so I wouldn't know about that for sure.
Metabad
said at 11:34 PM on Wed Jul 13 2011
@Jeff: ...but they ARE cartoon characters, lol.
Gohan
said at 6:35 AM on Fri Mar 11 2011
lol kents name was there twice cause he does it the best
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 2:52 PM on Fri Jul 10 2009
kent williams ftw!
Pokejedservo
said at 11:23 PM on Thu Jul 9 2009
Oh yeah Kent Williams name is listed twice in the poll, you might want to fix that.

THE BEST
Who do you think has been the best from these Dr. Gero/Android 20 voice actors?
Kent Williams
Brian Dobson
Jonathan Love
Ed Marcus
RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Dr. Gero / Android 20 Dragon Ball style=" on Amazon.com.