The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

US Release: Mar 03, 2017
Japan Release: Mar 03, 2017
Europe Release: Mar 03, 2017

Game Developer: Nintendo EPD

Popularity: 8th All Time, 7th This Week

Franchise: Legend of Zelda
First Zelda game to contain full voice acting.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Cast

Comments

said at 11:01 PM on Fri Jul 14 2017
I've played a ton of games this year but no matter what, I don't think anyone is going to top BOTW. There are still other games I'd like to go back to, and plenty more looking forward to, but this one? I just keep coming back to it and it's unbelievable how much the game keeps on giving. It's so well-crafted in practically every sense of the world. It's a game that's legitimately a joy to play and every single day you spend with it features something brand new, unexpected, and exciting, and I genuinely look forward to what today's adventure holds. I keep thinking of starting a new RPG or something but go, "oh, it's 40 hours long, I can't be bothered, maybe later."

I check the Wii U's daily log, and I've put over 30 hours into this game in the past two weeks alone. And I've been playing since March.

It's a tough question to me, where this ranks personally for me among the series because, well, there's no other Zelda like it. But as far as all games go, full stop... This one's up there. Wow oh wow did they pull it off. It was a long journey, but 100% worth the wait, and I absolutely feel this is this generation's Ocarina of Time moment. No questions asked. I know it's been said so much over the past four months, but it's completely deserved what a brilliant game this is. I have no reservations at all in saying this is a game that everyone with even the vaguest interests in games must play.
said at 11:05 PM on Fri Jul 14 2017
Also, I just want to say: Lomei Labyrinth and Eventide Island are two of my favourite experiences in any game. I can't wait to start the DLC because Trial of the Sword seems like even more of the latter and I absolutely loved it and wished there were more moments like that in the game.
NoOriginalUsername
said at 5:51 PM on Thu Aug 31 2017
@NCZ What I absolutely love about the game is how many ways there are to problem solve. If you have 2000 people play the game, there will be 2000 different ways it will be played. Take spider guardians for example. You can drown it, cut it's legs off, aim for the eye, freeze it, stop its perception of time and get some smacks in, the list goes on.
said at 7:13 PM on Thu Aug 31 2017
@NoOriginalUsername

That's what happened to my brother and I with Vah Rudania. The terminal where you have to get there by lighting a blue flame, I did that by putting my arrow up against the nearby blue torch and shooting it through the hole in the door. He did that by grabbing a wooden torch, sticking it up against the flame, running into the entrance hallway, putting it up against the little window thing you can see the torch from, and then shooting an arrow through both his lit torch and the unlit torch. I was blown away not only that he came up with that but that it actually worked. The game is pure magic.
said at 9:00 PM on Mon May 1 2017
The latest patch for the game allows you to choose your voice language from the menu, while keeping the system's text language. Super cool of Nintendo to do this. The subject was directly brought up to Aonuma in an interview a few months ago, so it's awesome to know that he took the demand for it seriously.
technickal
said at 7:20 AM on Tue May 2 2017
@NCZ I never disliked the English dub, but it's nice to have the option for those who want it.
PeachesDaisy
said at 9:36 AM on Thu Apr 6 2017
Seriously, what is up with not dubbing Link? Who cares if it's only grunts, I'd have done it for free. It's just...ridiculous
!
said at 9:39 AM on Thu Apr 6 2017
@PeachesDaisy

What would be the point? It doesn't make any difference to the character, how he's portrayed, or how we hear him at all. There'd be virtually no tangible difference for no real gain. It'd be like dubbing animal noises.
Shaun Ince
said at 9:52 PM on Thu Apr 6 2017
@NCZ Also we all know what happened the last time they gave Link a speaking voice. Didn't turn out so good. Those games are a meme fest, but yeah...
martyyahar
said at 8:26 PM on Sun Apr 30 2017
@Shaun Ince I mean, to be fair, the other voices in the CDi games and even the cartoon weren't that good.
Garthunox
said at 1:38 AM on Tue May 2 2017
@PeachesDaisy Should Pikachu be dubbed by an English VA too?
said at 11:20 AM on Tue May 2 2017
@Garthunox I think if Pikachu ever spoke, it might be interesting to see who they'd use in a dub. My vote's on someone like Erica Mendez, Cassandra Morris, or Sarah Williams. Or someone like Debi Derryberry or Kath Soucie if (miraculously) Nintendo did a big-budget dub or native American cartoon. Ashleigh Ball also might be a realistic possibility.
said at 11:51 AM on Tue May 2 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed

It's a rhetorical question.
said at 12:30 PM on Tue May 2 2017
@NCZ Aha, I did figure that one. However I think it's just fun sometimes to pontificate on the subject.. :)
martyyahar
said at 8:51 PM on Tue Aug 15 2017
@Garthunox Yes, Danny DeVito.
Digifan
said at 7:19 AM on Wed Mar 22 2017
First english voice acting.
Even if Link don't speak.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 7:44 AM on Sat Mar 11 2017
I still haven't played the game yet (waiting to get it for my birthday) but I've watched a handful of cutscenes. And I have to say, and I fully acknowledge that everyone with a functioning pair of ears are gonna think I'm a deaf moron for thinking this but...

...I actually really like the English voice acting in this game. Even on Zelda herself.
Food4thought
said at 10:29 PM on Sat Mar 11 2017
@HyperVoiceActing This site is pretty dub friendly overall, almost no one here will insult you for liking this
JTurner
said at 10:02 PM on Wed Mar 15 2017
@Food4thought It really isn't just to insult anybody for liking dubs period. I haven't played the game yet (I will soon), but the voice acting sounded fine to me. No major standouts, but no jarringly bad performances either. Solid overall.
ShigyC
said at 7:25 AM on Sat Mar 11 2017
My roommate said while playing the game that Daruk sounds like a tour guide XD
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 3:40 PM on Thu Mar 9 2017
I'm not a Zelda guy but I think it's pretty incredible that from what I've heard, so many people are having very different experiences with this game. That's pretty cool.
GreenGoblin75
said at 2:37 PM on Sat Mar 4 2017
Is Link silent in this game like the others?
said at 3:46 PM on Sat Mar 4 2017
@GreenGoblin75

As it should be.
King Marth 64
said at 6:19 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@NCZ And what about his grunting voices, does Link still has the same voice like in the Japanese version similar to like Pikachu and Kirby did or does Link have completely different? I don't have Breath of the Wild yet.
said at 7:47 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@King Marth 64 That's what I was wondering for awhile. It seems to be a male voice actor entirely unrelated to previous Nintendo properties. It's pretty cool. He has voiced Donatello & Peter Pan previously.
said at 8:07 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@King Marth 64

No need to dub grunts.
nikipotamus
said at 7:49 PM on Mon Mar 6 2017
@NCZ
Don't know about that... this tweet indicates that the grunts were dubbed:
Nightmare Crusher
said at 7:55 PM on Mon Mar 6 2017
@nikipotamus I think you're misinterpreting that tweet. Bill was talking about Erik having to wait for his Switch to finally arrive in the mail, Erik isn't even in this game. Check out some of the tweets before that one.

nikipotamus
said at 8:15 PM on Mon Mar 6 2017
@Nightmare Crusher I stand corrected, then.
ShigyC
said at 7:24 AM on Sat Mar 11 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed There have been changes to different voice actors/actresses for Link ever since Spirit Tracks
said at 8:04 AM on Sat Mar 11 2017
@ShigyC

It's justified though. The reason why Link gets a different VA every few games is because they're all technically different reincarnations of him, with a few exceptions (e.g. Majora being a sequel to Ocarina, Phantom Hourglass - but not Spirit Tracks - being the same as Wind Waker, etc.)

Twilight Princess screwed with that though. Zelda kept her Ocarina VA despite being a different person, and Ganondorf got recast even though he's canonically the same person every time he appears.

Speaking of which this game did something similar but I'd rather find out the reasoning myself (if any) once I get to that point.
said at 4:38 PM on Tue Apr 4 2017
@Nightmare Crusher tbh I think Erik Kimerer frankly would've been a great teenage Link.
ScottMyers
said at 9:36 AM on Sat Mar 4 2017
Darn you, Bill. Why aren't you confirming who you voiced through Twitter like everyone else did? lol
said at 10:05 AM on Sat Mar 4 2017
@ScottMyers

Only thing I've got is that his role(s) are NDA'd for whatever (plot? spoiler?) reason. It's kind of nerve-wracking because there's the off chance the king/old man isn't him and I'd just like to know either way, man.
Sentinel07
said at 9:34 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
I'm pretty early in the game right now but Bill Rogers as the King of Hyrule was a perfect casting. He nailed it during his telling of the backstory.
Ghosty404
said at 3:51 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
Bill Rogers as the King makes me want a VC of the King of Hyrule. :P
Shaun Ince
said at 4:24 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@Ghosty404 MY BOY, THIS PEACE IS WHAT ALL TRUE WARRIORS STRIVE FOR!!
Soul-dragon
said at 2:37 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
Really happy to see Elizabeth Maxwell in this. I almost want to buy the switch.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 2:03 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
Brock is the King of Hyrule.

...

Zelda/Pokemon crossover confirmed
said at 2:30 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@HyperVoiceActing

HyperVoiceActing
said at 7:03 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@NCZ - I almost forgot about that.
said at 11:21 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
What an awesome cast. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to everyone yet but the ones I've heard are quite good. A great bonus to an already stellar game.
TrueMyriad
said at 11:06 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
Hopefully, future Zelda games can have voice acting like this. :D
said at 12:10 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@TrueMyriad

I think in many ways this game is setting the new standard for Zelda going forth.
Dawnlight
said at 9:33 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
I never expected Elizabeth Maxwell to be in Zelda. Incredible!
HylianBelmont
said at 8:42 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
This cast does look rather interesting so far, I have to say!
said at 9:15 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@HylianBelmont

I gotta say, Sean Chiplock as the Great Deku Tree, that's the one matchup I never saw coming. Wow does he get to stretch his wings there. (No pun intended.)
HylianBelmont
said at 10:25 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@NCZ Oh definitely. It's yet another Nintendo dub that shows how much range of some of the VAs have!
said at 11:31 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@HylianBelmont

Plus I think it's cool that most of the VAs are new-ish or not as common as the usual non-union dub VAs. The sheer level of prestige BOTW has acquired would make it look great on a resume.
said at 12:58 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@NCZ I still feel this would benefit *hugely* from being recorded (at least partly) in non-LA areas such as London (Britain), Wales, Scotland, Toronto, Vancouver, & other areas with more diverse accents & talents. I wouldnt say it needed to be union, although that might attract the most people.

You can definitely tell that Nintendo really went out of their way to select new talents. It's really cool to see some of these people get (hopefully!) renowned for their work on such a massively well-received masterpiece of a work of art.
said at 2:03 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed

Why? The VO as it is is fine from all I've heard. It'd be nice to hear another talent pool but I mean, the game is already using VAs we don't hear every day to begin with. It's not like there's anything inherently wrong with the approach.
said at 2:32 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@NCZ Diversity of available talent, is good, but it takes *funding* to maintain a standard of quality through a rigorous auditioning process. I feel like perhaps it'd lower the weight of what VO for Zelda (on a resume) meant to future casting directors if it was generally seen as a low-budget/paid position. The fact that someone was *involved* in something that happened to get big...is cool. But as with say, anime dubbing...it doesnt look good on your CV, because it's such a small portion of the budget that went to that. Just because BotW is huge, doesnt mean that dub actors benefit much from that.

I also feel that changing up the talent pool would benefit the worldly feel of the setting, with genuine accents involved.
said at 2:34 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed

That's not how it works. You don't just throw money at stuff and that always makes it better. The quality of the work speaks for itself.
said at 3:42 PM on Sun Mar 5 2017
@NCZ I know, but it's a factor & being a much smaller part of it than an actor on, say, FF or KH, may make it "othered" by casting directors. We see this with world-renowned anime (see: Death Note/Ryuk recasting), & certainly I don't think Zelda is exempt from that. Beyond that, I feel the value of labor is what it produces - if it truly is that important, the performers deserve some of that. There's no reason that Nintendo should devalue it here, arguably biggest game this year. Why should this game (or anime, w/its lack of residuals) be treated so "specially", in a way that negatively impacts its workers?

Beyond that, I'm just confused as to why that went this route when most big games generally dont. You said something down the line about being "a different beast entirely" & I feel that might be the key thing here.
JTurner
said at 7:25 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
It'll be interesting to see which one of these characters these actors play.
said at 8:56 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@JTurner

I don't think it'll be tough to figure out. On top of confirmations being easy to get ahold of, while I'm waiting until I play the game for myself, going in I already have a pretty strong hunch about who plays whom. And I'm pretty confident about who plays Zelda. I guess we'll have to see on that front.
JTurner
said at 8:38 AM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@NCZ Either way, the voices sounded fine to me, at least from what I've heard. I haven't gotten the game yet (I will for my upcoming birthday), but the results don't sound too bad so far.
said at 3:17 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
"English Voice Director: Jamie Mortellaro.

English Voice: Bill Rogers, Elizabeth Maxwell, Sean Chiplock"

As if this weren't already an insta-buy.
ScottMyers
said at 3:30 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed And Maxwell... Dangit, I forgot two actors in my reply to NCZ earlier.
said at 6:53 PM on Wed Mar 1 2017
They're out.

Enjoy at your own risk.
Swiftie Muggle
said at 1:40 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@NCZ i recognize all the names for LA Spanish but none from the English voices , and due to anime , barely the Japanese ones. I guess Nintendo isn't doing mainstream voice acting in this game? They are known for not doing so.
said at 1:47 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@Swiftie Muggle

They used Arts Vision and Ken Production who've respectively been the VO agencies of choice for the series since Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword/Spirit Tracks. English dub seems to be non-union.
ScottMyers
said at 2:57 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@NCZ I'm admittedly a little peeved that they didn't match names with characters like they did in Fire Emblem Heroes (though, to be fair, Fire Emblem Fates showed that them doing the VA credits this way wasn't unprecedented). The only actor I recognize from the English cast is Bill Rogers (who seems to be getting a decent number of jobs since his move to LA), and judging by his role in HXH, I'd have to guess he plays Daruk. The rest of the actors, though, I've never heard before. On the plus side, since the cast is small, and google showed me that these are all actors' actual names and not psuedonyms, matching voice to actor should be pretty easy.
ScottMyers
said at 2:59 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@NCZ I also recognize Sean Chiplock. Been seeing him in a lot of english dub video game voice over. (Feel silly for forgetting to mention him in the first reply).
said at 3:34 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@ScottMyers

I have a hunch on who a lot of the actors' characters are. I'm pretty confident on Zelda for example. That actress being in this is a surprise to me since I mainly know her for her work in Montreal, but apparently she splits time between there and the US.

But yeah, since the cast list is so small and all the actors actively maintain websites and social media profiles, confirmations should roll out pretty easily.
Unknownsage13
said at 4:30 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@NCZ Seems like such a random cast.
HylianBelmont
said at 4:38 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@Unknownsage13 I most certainly wasn't expecting Bill Rogers! Still it's rather cool though IMO.
said at 5:22 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@Unknownsage13 Honestly yeah. While I like Maxwell, Rogers, & Chiplock, I gotta say I expected something much more lavish for a series like Zelda - even the domestic VO is full of people I have never heard of (& I feel like I know enough Japanese VAs that that means something). Nintendo has always been *pretty* modest with their VO - domestic Fire Emblem aside, we've never gotten AAA VAs for many of the story-driven games which could likely benefit from it?

Even in the Japanese VO, we usually get one or two big names (ie. Hiei or recently Eren Yaeger as Link, or Android 16 as Marth), with the rest of the cast being much smaller names, often with no other credits. Anyway, personally I'd hoped for either a Dark Souls-caliber or Xenoblade Chronicles-esque dub, at least European actors with more "international" diverse accents I guess.

Haven't played this, but again, while I love some of the cast members, I do think it'd have been awesome to get, say, Jamie Bell as Link. It'd also have been rad to get Nobuyuki Hiyama back, seeing as he even *mo-capped* Link.
Webmike1
said at 6:24 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed I would say Kid Icarus Uprising and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. has AAA VAs. Maybe even Wonderful 101, since that was localized by the Treehouse.
said at 7:03 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@Webmike1 STEAM & Wonderful 101 were not dubbed, they were English-original IIRC. Icarus is, but I didn't count those as they tend to be more cartoony whereas there is much more cinematic & traditionally AAA in that aspect, more than any of Ninty's previous games.
said at 8:54 PM on Thu Mar 2 2017
@Unknownsage13

It's in a similar vein as FFXIV: ARR, which was another non-union dub Mortellaro did.

@Webmike1

Treehouse didn't do Wonderful 101. Platinum don't consider the English versions of their games to be "localizations", but "adaptations". They're done completely in-house by the English-speaking staff in tandem with the Japanese writing, production, etc. and with complete input by the relevant directors. Platinum called all the creative shots when it came to casting in their games. I guess it's a matter of the budget/resources they were given by Nintendo allowing for it since they're pretty economical with their development processes.
said at 3:10 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@NCZ I think there might be something lost in translation regarding what Platinum may have said about that. I'd generally use adaptation for something further *away* from the source, ie. something like most Toei kids' dubs does not really fit "localization" (of course, this term is within the umbrella of "adaptation") for me.

Altho it should be said that *any* translation is to an effect a localization (& by default an adaptation) - Gintama dub, as admirably as it follows the subtitles, was supervised by JP producers, etc...is an adaptation, as are the subtitles themselves. King James British is not literally "the Bible", it is a (arguably very good) representation of the Bible. The wording & language itself is as part of the story as the richness of the culture itself.

Although - & I wanted to bring this up in reply to your great point about Nintendo's dub history - the English-language audio for most Platinum games is often the *only* or original audio for most of their games - MGR, Bayonetta 1, Wonderful 101, etc. Calling them localizations is like saying Kill Bill is dubbed.
said at 3:58 PM on Fri Mar 3 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed

There's nothing lost in translation. Those are the exact words of JP Kellams.

"While I normally blog about other things, this time I'd like to talk about my role in the English adaptation of BAYONETTA here at PlatinumGames.

I suppose the first thing that stands out is why I did not use the word localization. Localization is a very software specific term, and while games are software, you have to consider what really comprises the bulk of getting a Japanese game into English. Sure, translating menus and such are classical localization tasks; however, the most important part of the job I had on Bayonetta taking the compelling script that Kamiya-san had written for the game and getting it into English."

In any case it's flat-out wrong to refer to any of their games as being "original" to one language. People tend to use terms like dub, adaptation, translation, localization, interchangeably but they are all very different things.

The majority of the creative directors at Platinum are Japanese and perform the story writing in Japanese first and foremost. But they work very closely in tandem with the English speaking staff and sign off on or have direct control over the various aspects of the English translations which are then integrated into the game. And often things brought up during this process are inserted into the Japanese script.

This is not "localization" because this is a process that shapes the game during its inception.

Fact is from a writing and creation perspective, there is no "original" language for those games. Therefore in cases like that it's not accurate to claim either audio track as being more "authentic" or "correct" or "original" than the other. Even referring solely to the audio tracks, Wonderful 101 being "english-original" is simply wrong because both audio tracks were handled simultaneously and by the same creative team.

From a timeline perspective? Yes, there are cases when a game's dialogue is first recorded in English and then in Japanese, or that a Japanese track doesn't come until much later. But creatively speaking, with a process like this, both languages at the end of the day are "the original". No point splitting hairs over it.
said at 12:32 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Two weeks..............
said at 2:36 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
@SNaG

I still can't believe just how close it is. It feels surreal.

Not that I mind though. This has been my most anticipated game in a looooong time, and everything I see just makes me more and more excited. It has the serious potential to redefine the series the same way Ocarina of Time did all those years ago. I can't wait to dive in and get completely lost in it.
said at 10:26 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
@NCZ

This in March, Persona 5 in April, Fire Emblem in May...

Wow, I'm booked for a while.
said at 1:17 PM on Sat Feb 25 2017
@SNaG

Or maybe just in April since Nintendo pushed back my preorder's delivery date to April for some godforsaken reason. So much for pre-ordering months in advance.
said at 2:35 PM on Mon Feb 27 2017
@SNaG

See, I still have my Wii U preorder (not shipped yet and Amazon doesn't have an estimate), but I'm getting worried I may not get to play it till April or so myself. In terms of real-world obligations, this next month is looking nuuuuuuuuts for me. Obviously I could still sneak in the time, but with a game as big and significant and apparently world-changing as this one, I'd love to savour every moment as much as possible.

At least when it comes to games I still have to finish Gravity Rush 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so once Zelda and Nier come along I'll basically be set for the next few months, but man, this is going to be *painful*.
said at 2:42 PM on Mon Feb 27 2017
@NCZ

Personally, I'm waiting till the day before, and if I don't get a physical, I'm either (a) driving to a Gamestop or (b) getting the digital copy. It's really dumb, and like you, I want to savor every moment.
said at 2:58 PM on Mon Feb 27 2017
@SNaG

"(a) driving to a Gamestop"

Godspeed.
said at 3:04 PM on Mon Feb 27 2017
@NCZ

Not as hard as fighting the Calamity Ganon, but pretty darn close.

(Also because I read that the game goes on the eshop at 3 AM EST and I'd rather play a little the night before or something cause I'm like that).
BEN DROWNED
said at 9:54 AM on Fri Feb 17 2017
I can't wait for this to come out!
TrueMyriad
said at 7:04 PM on Mon Feb 6 2017
The voice acting sounds amazing! Who do you guys think the voice actors are so far? I feel like Zelda Williams voiced Zelda in the trailer.
said at 7:22 PM on Thu Jan 26 2017
French interview with Aonuma about the voice acting. Translation par moi...

Q: "What is it that inspired the use of true voice acting for this game? Is there a link to the storyline, or is it the presence of VO in modern major games that weighed more heavily?"

A: Actually, we planned to dub only the major cutscenes at first. Having characters speak in those scenes, but not during the rest of the game, would seem strange [in theory], but in practice, it's not weird at all. Up until now, we didn't dub any of the characters because Link never talks, and we thought it'd be weird if everyone spoke aloud except him. But now that Breath of the Wild contains a large amount of cutscenes, we decided to use voice actors for all its sequences."
said at 5:04 PM on Fri Jan 27 2017
@NCZ This is a wonderful translation of some very interesting insight, thank you. Is it mostly in context of the French dub, or is Aonuna speaking in regards to the Japanese (or, better yet, his own potential involvement in the French dub)? Art is art, but I feel a certain disconnect is possible when discussing a production w/various separate recordings, especially outsourced ones. So I do wonder.
said at 5:21 PM on Fri Jan 27 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed

He is referring to the game as a whole. Not sure how exactly Nintendo handle it as a general rule of thumb but I know that with Kid Icarus Uprising, the game director Sakurai gave all the localizers leeway to do whatever they wanted with it as long as it was in good faith with the original. I assume Aonuma understands that the localization process is like that for all games, but Nintendo's translators and localization departments, since they work in-house are pretty well known for their attachment and in-tune with the developers, their needs and the overall culture that they want out of it to the point they don't need the original devs micromanaging absolutely everything.
HienFan
said at 12:03 AM on Sat Jan 21 2017
And NOW they finally give the series english voices since the days of CDR and cheesy old Canadian cartoons
SteelEthlan
said at 8:47 PM on Mon Jan 23 2017
@HienFan Which we don't even talk about those anymore.
said at 2:22 PM on Fri Jan 20 2017
The Switch version will seemingly have all the languages on the cart. Unfortunately, it won't be an option in-game. You have to change the entire system language. So for example, if you want to hear the Japanese voices, the Switch's system text, and all text in the game will be in Japanese. It won't be possible to mix-and-match Japanese text with English, French subs or what have you. The in-game voice and text, as well as the Switch's system text, will all have to be the same.

The Wii U system languages are restricted by region, so presumably Japanese won't be accessible to players with NA/PAL systems.
said at 2:25 PM on Fri Jan 20 2017
@NCZ

Surprisingly fluent google translate:

When we questioned producer Eiji Aonuma about whether a European player would be able to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with the voices in Japanese, he replied that this option would not be in the game, and that the only possibility would be to change the language of the console itself, which would also change the language used in the menus and their game text:

"In the case of Nintendo Switch, if you change the language of the system, you can change the game to Japanese, but that will change everything to Japanese. Unfortunately, it is not possible to play with English text, for example, and Japanese voices."
Toki
said at 3:57 PM on Fri Jan 20 2017
@NCZ that's disapointing. I really didn't like the English voice acting in the trailer.
said at 4:04 PM on Fri Jan 20 2017
@Toki If I end up not caring for the English track, at least I can fall back on the French :V
ThoughT
said at 8:59 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
Zelda sounds a lot like Bridget Hoffman. Watch her work on Please Teacher! as a reference.
ThoughT
said at 9:02 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@ThoughT

Listen to her voice in this clip: https://youtu.be/4YYL64C_xtU?t=13m15s

Then listen to her say it was all for nothing: https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE?t=2m36s

It's basically identical. It really has to be her.
said at 10:05 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@ThoughT This definitely doesnt feel like an LA or a Texas dub. Definitely UK (I'd love a Xenoblade-esque dub!), although one thing I feel is relevant here, valid complaint tbh, Zelda's cry doesnt have the weight that the Japanese (presuming that's the original recording?) or any of the other dubs have. The dub doesnt seem bad, but it could be better & for sure I think a game like Zelda can easily afford it.

I like the idea of getting dual audio, but I really hope Nintendo doesnt simply eschew the budget for a really good dub, for dual audio. The Japanese audio *always* exists anyway (which, presumably, makes it cheaper & is why anime companies tend to cheap on dubs for dual audio). Economics are economics, but it'd really be a shame to limit this game to one of those "pssh, the sub was better" type deals.
said at 10:41 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed Also - I'm interested in learning of the Japanese cast for this. Link's VA I think may be a female one, to emphasize this Link's more androgynous design. I dig the idea. While a male/female option is nice, it's nice if they're using an androgynous option as the front-&-center model in promotional material. Wish more games did that.

It'd be awesome, btw, if they brought back the folks from previous games, to work with full dialogue, &/or going with a new cast to emphasize a new incarnation of these characters.
Unknownsage13
said at 11:00 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
I'm wondering what talent pool they'll be using for this game? Dubs of Nintendo games aren't really the most consistent with who they use. So hard to guess.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 11:05 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
@Unknownsage13 I don't immediately recognize any of the voices in the trailer, so based on what Nintendo's gone with before, my bet's on either Seattle or London.
said at 8:24 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@CatsTuxedo Unless they've upped their quality, I don't think it's Seattle. Might be London.

Not that I, or most others, care *where* it's done as long as it's good. The recent trailer was pretty promising IMO.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 10:08 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@SNaG Star Fox Assault and Shank tell me that the Seattle pool is perfectly capable of a 'quality' production so I wouldn't rule them out just yet.
HylianBelmont
said at 10:53 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@CatsTuxedo Star Fox Zero was great as well I thought.
said at 12:21 PM on Mon Jan 16 2017
Speaking for myself, I don't recognize any of the voices in the trailer, so it's totally up in the air at this point in time.

But I think it might be useful to examine past history on Nintendo's in-house/first-party games and localizations.

Up until about 2010, Nintendo used Seattle for their first-party games almost exclusively.

Since then, things have varied a bit, but I think there have been some observable trends.

More "cartoony" games receive the LA union treatment. (Kid Icarus: Uprising, Codename STEAM)

Niche games, RPGs, and stuff that's generally extensive while requiring more dubbing expertise, tend to be LA non-union. (Fire Emblem 3DS games, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Battle Begins)

Games localized by Nintendo of Europe are naturally done in the UK. (Xenoblade Chronicles, Fatal Frame, Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright)

Seattle projects basically just seem to be "everything else". So that would be games that don't have a massive amount of voice acting and/or are possibly lower-budget (e.g. Rhythm Heaven), series that have been traditionally recorded there (Star Fox), or a mixture of both (Mario). Just for the record actually, despite what you may think Charles Martinet himself doesn't actually live in Seattle. He lives in California and then depending on the project he'll either fly to Seattle or even to Japan. The rest of the Mario cast are Seattle though.

Games done by partners (e.g. Next Level Games with Punch-Out, Namco with Pokken or Baten Kaitos Origins, PlatinumGames with Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2) are a different can of worms. If I had to guess, my guess is how/where they're recorded is at the developer's discretion but dependent on the budget they're allotted by Nintendo, as well as how much creative freedom they're allowed in general. Don't quote me on any of that though because I'm purely speculating here.

Zelda here is hard to pin down because it's pretty much the most traditionally-AAA style thing out of all the above. It's the kind of thing they could afford to splurge on but really it's a different beast from everything else. And there's also the matter of how much VO is in the game. It seems like the cutscenes, at least the major ones, will be voiced for sure, but then there's the matter of how many cutscenes there are, how long they are on average, etc. At the end of the day it's not unthinkable that the Xenoblades will probably end up having more voiced dialogue than BOTW. It might end up being somewhere between them and the Fire Emblems when it comes to how much there is to work with.

Personally, I have a feeling that this might be a case like Fire Emblem Fates or Star Fox Battle Begins, where it might be non-union but not 100% use a pool of "typical" anime/game dub voice actors. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kris Zimmerman doing this since she's one of Nintendo's most regular directors.
HylianBelmont
said at 12:54 AM on Tue Jan 17 2017
@NCZ If Kris Zimmerman is directing this then I'll actually die of happiness haha.
Soul-dragon
said at 2:34 PM on Tue Jan 17 2017
@HylianBelmont Same!
Unknownsage13
said at 6:26 PM on Tue Jan 17 2017
@NCZ If it's Kris I'd like that. Cuz then we'd get this nice mix of actors who we're used to hearing, and actors that we never hear.

Like me personally, I would love to hear several actors that I'm used to hearing show up in this just cuz it would feel very... Idk how to describe it, different?

Though at same time I want there to be plenty of unknowns or unexpected actors show-up just so we can be immersed in the game properly.
said at 6:29 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@CatsTuxedo Ah, I haven't played the Star Fox games so I was unaware they were dubbed in Seattle. I was primarily going of stuff like Mario Sunshine and the Tellius saga of Fire Emblem.
HylianBelmont
said at 6:51 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@SNaG I mean to be fair Radiant Dawn was a big improvement over Path of Radiance as far as the VA went. Still wasn't perfect mind you but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more in comparison (with Micaiah and the Narrator being the standout voices IMO)
said at 7:03 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@HylianBelmont I think the only one I liked was the narrator. He was a damn fine narrator though.
HylianBelmont
said at 9:29 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
@SNaG He was absolutely perfect! They should hire him for Breath of the Wild XD
said at 11:33 AM on Wed Jan 18 2017
For what it's worth no one aside from Zelda sounds british to me. (Accents, tactics, deliveries, etc.) I don't believe this is a wholly british cast.
said at 6:15 PM on Sat Jan 14 2017
So this is cool. The game is going to be dubbed in more than just English and Japanese.

French:

Spanish (Spain):

Spanish (Latin America):

Italian:

Russian:

German:

Pretty sweet. I always love it when games go the extra mile with multi-language dubs. Presumably the NA version will have English/French/LASpanish right there and Europe will get all its various languages, depending on the system language (that's how it works for Wii U/3DS games with multiple dubs). Up in the air as to if Japanese will be included.
said at 12:04 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
@NCZ I like that this feels more inclusive of other cultures & regions, & that it makes it feel more of an international game, more than just "Japanese game w/a dub" (which is often good in its own right). Would be *amazing* even just having the European-based languages on a single-region copy.
FUNiman
said at 7:31 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
@NCZ Multi-language gives me a lot more hope for the VO being good and not low effort (and the game itself as well) so good news here. I wonder if in the (small) chance I dislike all the voices there'll be a voice volume slider.
said at 8:34 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
@NCZ Nice! Probably won't turn on the other language dubs but I think that's a great touch. Nintendo IS pulling out all the stops.
Lionman
said at 4:52 PM on Sat Jan 14 2017
The hype is real 2017........
ScraftyIsTheBest
said at 6:20 AM on Sat Jan 14 2017
This game seems like it's going to be an amazing game. I'm super stoked for it to come out: it's looking to be one of the most epic Zelda adventures yet and possibly one of the biggest games in the series since Ocarina of Time, and it's a massive game with so much to do so I'm super hyped to play this, especially as a big Zelda fan.

It's nice to see voice-over in this, while older Zelda games have been fine without it, including voice acting here will definitely make the experience more lively and immersive, and as such it's always a nice touch. And the voice acting quality is looking to be good from the very little bit we heard, though the trailers are usually not that indicative of the final product's quality.

I trust that they'll implement VO effectively though, considering Nintendo has delivered some very good dubs in recent years, such as the recent Fire Emblem titles, Kid Icarus, and Xenoblade Chronicles X (the OG Xenoblade Chronicles also had very good VO), and the likes, so I trust that Nintendo will do well with this one too.
said at 9:07 AM on Fri Jan 13 2017
Full VO is nteresting. Pull out all the stops and maybe even give us a dual audio. Either way, this game is sure to please!
said at 9:49 AM on Fri Jan 13 2017
@SNaG

The filesize is a lot smaller than Xenoblade X (which pretty much used the whole disc), so hopefully they can squeeze that in. Now that I think of it, whenever the filesize permits it, in recent times most of Nintendo's big RPGs have had dual audio.
said at 9:05 PM on Fri Jan 13 2017
@NCZ As a side note (since you mentioned XCX) this world gives me the same feeling XCX did when I saw that trailer. I find BotW looking far more interesting than Xenoblade 2, which is pretty ridiculous for me. So excited to play this next Zelda, just hope the Wii U version is roughly the same quality as the Switch's.
said at 1:07 PM on Sat Jan 14 2017
@SNaG

Xenoblade 2 was a real surprise for me. Aesthetically it looks almost like a mix of Xenoblade and Baten Kaitos. I'm curious to see how it goes but yeah, a lot of the character designs seem to be going in a different direction than the first game.

BOTW looks so amazing though. The art direction looks like a playable Ghibli film, it's unreal. I'm still conflicted about how I'll play it. I'll either get it on Wii U or I'll somehow wait until the holidays or whenever I end up getting the Switch. I'm not sold on getting a Switch day 1 just yet.

The main difference is that the Wii U version is 720p, and the Switch one is 900p (when played on TV). Both run at around 30fps. Since the game was developed with Wii U as the lead platform, I feel like the game will be pretty similar for the most part. The Switch version will probably look better for sure but if the differences aren't night-and-day or anything then I'll probably be fine getting it on the U.
said at 10:13 AM on Sun Jan 15 2017
@NCZ Judging by the dev cycle, I'd wager it's like a TP situation where it doesn't truly matter which system you play it on. I'm not sold on getting the Switch yet either. Though I'll probably capitulate when the Shin Megami Tensei game (AKA Switch Megami Tensei) comes out, I don't think I can wait that long for this Zelda.
said at 10:49 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@SNaG

I feel like the differences might be less substantial than TP this go around. In Twilight Princess, the Wii version had motion controls, widescreen, and the flipped world. The Wii version also came out first, by a few weeks. Here, the games are more-or-less identical beyond resolution and the hardware itself, and are coming out day-and-date. So it feels like Wii U owners aren't really losing out that much, which is a relief in a way.
said at 11:21 AM on Mon Jan 30 2017
@NCZ Just found out that the Xenoblade similarity can be attributed, at least in part, to Monolith Soft; they helped create the large open areas preset in the game.

Scrappy-Fan92
said at 10:56 PM on Thu Jan 12 2017
So we can finally confirm that the voice at the start of the E3 2016 trailer WAS Zelda. I wonder who's the lucky lady voicing her.
said at 9:51 PM on Thu Jan 12 2017
That latest trailer... Just magnificent.
said at 5:46 PM on Wed Oct 19 2016
So Nintendo are FINALLY going to reveal the NX tomorrow... PLEASE let us get some more new information on the game! I'm getting thirsty!
Lionman
said at 7:27 PM on Tue Oct 18 2016
OH my hylia, the revolution has arrived, voice acting in english.......HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightmare Crusher
said at 11:03 AM on Wed Jun 15 2016
I wonder if the whole cast is British or if that's just how they wanted Zelda specifically to sound.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 11:05 AM on Wed Jun 15 2016
Also, I find it interesting that they've given Ganon his shadow beast thing from Hyrule Warriors.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 1:15 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@Nightmare Crusher Technically, we don't know if that was Zelda or not.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 1:25 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@Scrappy-Fan92 I could have sworn Aonuma made some comment about Zelda always having to wake Link up. Could be wrong.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 1:46 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@Nightmare Crusher All I can recall is Aonuma lampshading the tendency for Link to wake up at the start of Zelda games during yesterday's Treehouse Live.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 10:17 AM on Tue Jun 14 2016
Excellent trailer today.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 10:18 AM on Tue Jun 14 2016
@Scrappy-Fan92 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE
Nightmare Crusher
said at 10:41 AM on Tue Jun 14 2016
@Scrappy-Fan92 Very strong Shadow of the Colossus vibes here.
said at 5:14 AM on Wed Apr 27 2016
NX version confirmed

Delayed to 2017

Also literally the only game Nintendo will have playable at E3
Ghosty404
said at 3:07 PM on Wed Apr 27 2016
@NCZ You're sodding killing me, Nintendo.
SteelEthlan
said at 7:07 AM on Fri Apr 29 2016
@NCZ Yeah that I somehow saw it coming, and that pretty much slashes the exclusivity of Wii U only game.
SteelEthlan
said at 12:08 AM on Tue Jul 7 2015
*sighs* It's a shame that Zelda Wii U would never show up just because there's still more things to be developed for, which i can understand where are they going for, but a little demo would never hurt, but oh well what am i gonna do here.
SteelEthlan
said at 10:42 AM on Sat Mar 28 2015
I would like to see the UK dub could do their own take on Zelda since it had a Fantasy Medieval Adventure hybrid type of thing. If there's any of them i wouldn't mind either of them doing the job. Just like when Xenoblade Chronicles do it.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 8:54 PM on Fri Mar 27 2015
A Zelda game being delayed? This has never happened before.

Yeah, I saw this coming.
NoxiousSludge
said at 6:11 AM on Sat Feb 28 2015
I know it's unlikely, but I'm holding out for this game having proper voice acting. I know Nintendo can do a good job with it thanks to games like Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening and their stellar voice casts.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 10:43 AM on Sat Feb 28 2015
@NoxiousSludge "Stellar" voice casts aren't limited to LA, just for the record.

Personal gripes aside, if Hyrule Warriors didn't even have an English dub made for it, I highly doubt Nintendo will be changing their stance on the voice-acting now or ever.

In fact, during the series' earlier days, Charles Martinet requested to be the voice of Link, but Shigeru Miyamoto not only rejected the idea, but told him outright that Link would never have a voice.

Besides, being left to imagine the voices for Link and the rest makes the games more immersive than they would be if the voices were laid out for you.
NoxiousSludge
said at 11:47 AM on Tue Mar 3 2015
@CatsTuxedo I wasn't trying to say that only LA has good voice actors, I quite like the vast talent pools over here in Dallas as well as in Vancouver. There's no need to get all snotty about it.
said at 3:25 PM on Tue Mar 3 2015
@NoxiousSludge I'd like to point out that Xenoblade is one of the best Nintendo dubs of all, and that wasn't even done in the US (it was done by Side UK, in London).

I'd be totally cool with hearing more UK dubs in gaming. Xenoblade's dub was such a breath of fresh air. Hint hint Nintendo, Zelda would be a natural fit for UK voice actors...
NoxiousSludge
said at 8:13 PM on Thu Mar 19 2015
@NCZ Personally, I thought Xenoblade had some pretty bad voice acting outside of a couple of characters (Xord, Metal Face, Dunban, Rikki).
said at 4:12 PM on Fri Mar 27 2015
@NoxiousSludge No love for Reyn!?!?!?

Nah, it's fine, we all have our own opinions. The four characters you mentioned were some of the highlights in my mind as well.
SteelEthlan
said at 8:49 AM on Sat Mar 28 2015
@NCZ That's not such a bad idea. Heck, i would think that UK Dubs may suit well for Zelda at this point if Nintendo of Europe could get down on this.
NoxiousSludge
said at 12:10 AM on Fri Apr 3 2015
@NCZ Reyn wasn't "bad" per se, though I couldn't help but feel that he sounded like he had a stuffy nose all the time. But I guess it's fitting since he is kind of a moron. :p
AmericanBuizel
said at 5:21 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@NCZ I wouldn't mind seeing characters like Zelda sounding british, but if they're going to voice Ganon, I'd like to see him sound like King Garon from Fire Emblem Fates and with a regular NA accent. It would just kind of feel weird seeing Ganon sound british unless they're trying to go for a James Bond type of villain with him this time.
said at 5:32 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@AmericanBuizel There are a lot more British accents than just the stereotypical RP dialect. Very few people actually talk like that. I guess they can play up the being-a-Gerudo/foreigner angle but yeah, I think it's fine.
AmericanBuizel
said at 9:04 PM on Wed Jun 15 2016
@NCZ I know not all British people talk like that, just like how I know not all people in the United States talks with a stereotypical New York, Cali, Mid West, etc accent. However, I'm just simply saying that it would feel weird to hear Ganon with a british accent. But Idk, maybe I'm too used to hearing characters in Nintendo games having NA accents (with the exception of characters in Xenoblade Chronicles) and it would just feel like a missed opportunity if they didn't have Ganon sound like King Garon.
said at 1:06 PM on Thu Jun 16 2016
@AmericanBuizel "I'd like to see him sound like King Garon from Fire Emblem Fates and with a regular NA accent."

Well, Ganondorf is already voiced similar to Patrick Seitz, Clancy Brown, Richard Epcar, etc. sort of voice...by Donkey Kong himself, Takashi Nagasako.

& Garon has a similar tone, Akio Otsuka (who sounds like Keith David) dubbed over by Travis Willingham (who sounds like Patrick Seitz)..

But how is the characters related? Why would they sound the same?
said at 8:22 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@NCZ Xenoblade is one of my favorite dubs of all time. I wouldn't say the voiceover was 100% flawless (is it ever?) but as you said, the British dub made everything feel super fresh and gave the game some good character. I wouldn't mind that for this game.
said at 10:25 AM on Mon Jan 16 2017
@SNaG

It'd definitely be ideal but I'd be okay with the apparent direction in the trailer, where certain characters like Zelda sound English, and others sound American.

What I really hope for is that Xenoblade 2 retains a British cast. I can understand why X didn't go with one, due to its setting and apparent status as a sub-series/spinoff, but a straight-up sequel to the original game flat-out needs it, IMO. I can't imagine the world of that game sounding any other way.
TrueMyriad
said at 7:36 AM on Tue Aug 19 2014
Anybody else want to support the petition to have an NPC for Robin Williams?
Dustinman2012
said at 5:16 PM on Mon Jun 16 2014
Yeah. I don't think that's Link. I believe that's a girl.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 5:24 PM on Mon Jun 16 2014
@Dustinman2012 http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/12/aonuma-denies-female-link-rumours-says-it-was-all-in-jest/

That is unlikely.

Honestly, I never really understood the big fuss about it. Link has looked feminine for years now and this isn't that different.
said at 5:40 PM on Mon Jun 16 2014
@Dustinman2012 Not according to Aonuma.
Dustinman2012
said at 4:56 AM on Tue Jun 17 2014
@NCZ Then why don't I see Link's traditional green outfit?
said at 5:00 AM on Tue Jun 17 2014
@Dustinman2012 He didn't wear it at the start of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword either.
Dustinman2012
said at 10:56 AM on Wed Jun 18 2014
@NCZ True, but I don't know. I think it maybe the daughter of Link and Zelda.
BlueHeracross
said at 3:09 PM on Tue Jan 6 2015
@Dustinman2012
Luckily we can quash these rumors

Listen to Link/the character in the gameplay from last month. He clearly sounds male.
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016