Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

Europe Release: 2018

Popularity: 2,969th All Time, 78th This Week

Franchise: Nintendo
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch Cast

said at 10:55 AM on Tue Mar 13 2018
Well it's official. The WiiU is dead. No one is going to keep theirs after this. Let's take a moment to mourn.
said at 7:16 PM on Thu Mar 15 2018
@Soul-dragon F
said at 12:13 PM on Sat Mar 10 2018
I gotta say, when I saw the reveal trailer, it was the most excited I've been in two years of my life!
said at 12:59 PM on Sat Mar 10 2018
@Super10ZX Indeed. I'm also feeling a bit giddy since it'll be my first time riding a hype train since both FEW and DRV3 disappointed me in some way.
said at 9:01 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
Let's face it. The two best things to come of this trailer are the Inkling Girl Eye memes
and Etika's reaction.
said at 7:48 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
Here's my Newcomer prediction list based on evidence of being a new game. And takes into consideration of all the characters from the previous game to return alongside Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Pichu. And to keep in mind of the number of newcomers added for each installment, this one could have the count of 27 newcomers and 9 DLC characters if Smash is truly expanding to many degrees.

Captain Toad (Captain Toad Treasure Tracker)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
King K.Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Prince Sidon (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
A new character from Prime 4 (Metroid)
Decidueye (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
A Gen 8 Pokemon
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Sami (Advance Wars)
The Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Celica (Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia)
A new character from Fire Emblem Switch (Fire Emblem)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Inklings (Splatoon)
Spring Man (ARMS)
Spring Girl (ARMS)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo & Kazooie)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Shove Knight (Shovel Knight)

Mimikyu (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
Paula (Earthbound)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Min Min (ARMS)
Rowan/Lianna (Fire Emblem Warriors)
Joker (Persona 5)
Shantae (Shantae Half Genie Hero)
Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
Ruby Rose (RWBY) Or Spider-Man or Rey (Star Wars) (I'm including the possibility of Fourth-party characters given that with Smash expanding more and more in their inclusion, that HAL should take another step beyond by including non-game characters. Not to mention that Sakurai is a fan of Battle Tendency.)
said at 8:36 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Luigikun TBH I don't want anime/comic book /movie characters in this. It's a celebration of video games and Nintendo as a whole. Putting Joseph, Ruby, Spider Man or Rey in it would ruin everything. Yes there are some 4th party characters but they don't take up a majority of the roster and there stories can be played on a Nintendo console.
said at 9:40 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Soul-dragon In that case, I added Crash Bandicoot and Saber Artoria Pendragon (Visual Novels can count as games) in case the 4th parties don't get in.

Other than that, thoughts on the roster?
said at 9:46 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Luigikun I don't want Rowan and Lianna in but I definitely agree on Crash, Joker and Shaetae. Mimikyu is also a nice pick, it's never occurred to me and it's nice and unique. However my top choice for Smash is definitely this:
said at 9:51 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Soul-dragon Why Nagito? XD
said at 9:54 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Luigikun Because we all need to eat more hope bagels.
said at 9:57 AM on Mon Mar 12 2018
@Soul-dragon Ahhhhh.

Maybe this could be a special game of the franchise given that it's meant to celebrate 20 years of Smash, right?
Shaun Ince
said at 7:37 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
This is one of my most anticipated games for the Nintendo Switch. Always loved Smash Bros & it's great so see a standalone game for Nintendo's current console.
said at 12:26 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
Finally the game that has without a doubt trashed the Wii U for good.
said at 9:23 PM on Fri Mar 9 2018
Some things to think about to help guide discussion:
- Sakurai IS back.
- Development of the game started in 2016 - two years ago. If the game comes out this fall then that will be 2 and a half years of development time. That's the same amount of time that SSB4 (June 2012 - September/November 2014) and Brawl (October 2005 - January 2008) got.
- It's very likely that the game will at least be built heavily off of SSB4 since they can reuse the engine and iterate on the characters, stages, animations, modes, etc... But at the same time, SSB4 was built off of Brawl and Brawl off Melee. So it's not like it's going to be a simple port. There has been plenty of time for them for a brand new game's worth of content and upgrades.

Now, what do I think?

First of all - wow, the game is coming in 2018! I was hopeful that Smash would be one of their biggest games this year, and I'm really glad that it really will be. I remember after SSB4 came out, I was bracing for another 6-year cycle. So between 2018 and 2020? Totally happy that Smash is coming sooner. I think they'll probably release it in September to tie in with the launch of their paid online program, but depending on what else they have for fall it could maybe be in October or even November.

Second of all the Inklings are finally here. Long overdue since we all thought they'd be a lock for SSB DLC, but I'm so happy to see them at last. BOTW Link too - I'm really excited by the possibility they might refresh Link with some of the runes and other abilities, and it'd be great if we could get other outfits like Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess as alts. And don't even get me started on how much potential it has for stages... I might honestly be as excited for stages as I am for characters. BOTW, Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 alone could probably give you at least a dozen each!

SSB4's roster is already so insane that it's hard to think of who else they could fit in, but as far as Pokemon go Decidueye, Primarina, or Mimikyu would be sweet, and Bewear, Oranguru, or Tsareena for a left-field pick! Bring back Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake and we've got the ultimate collection across the series.

I'm hoping we get an Adventure Mode. SSB4, as dense as it is, had to cut some corners in order to make that 2-year turnaround time and HD transition, and Adventure Mode was the biggest loss. This time around though, I'm hoping they've had enough time that they can justify it, just like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe managed to add back a proper Battle Mode. Whether it's like Melee or a story like Brawl's, I'm really looking forward to see it come back.

As for a third-party character? I got Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta. At this point, there's only one guest character who can possibly top that.
said at 5:26 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
@NCZ I honestly want Crash Bsndicoot, the Persona 5 protagonist and Prompto Argentum (because Noctis has already gotten way to much attention).
said at 6:03 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
@Soul-dragon Don't forget Genos, Amaterasu, Ryu Hayabusa, Zero, Crono, and if possible, a fourth party character.
said at 7:48 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
@NCZ How's aboot Goku? :P
said at 8:26 AM on Sat Mar 10 2018
@Ghosty404 That's only going to happen if Lucario gets in.
Where The Wild Things Are Spotlight