Super Smash Bros. Melee Super Smash Bros. Melee Super Smash Bros. Melee

US Release: Dec 03, 2001
Japan Release: Nov 21, 2001
Europe Release: May 24, 2002

Game Developer: HAL Laboratory

Franchise: Nintendo

Popularity: 64th All Time, 140th This Week. *

In the Japanese version, Fox, Falco, and Mewtwo have some additional dialogue for taunts and victory quotes that were removed from the English versions. These lines (and Jigglypuff's Japanese voice) can be heard in NTSC releases by setting the game language to Japanese.

Fox and Falco are voiced by Shinobu Satouchi and Hisao Egawa in battle in all versions of the game. They speak using their English voices only for the Corneria Smash Taunt and for a cutscene in Adventure Mode. Jigglypuff is the only player character who was completely dubbed over.

The Cast

said at 6:07 PM on Thu Apr 16 2015
Still my favourite in the Smash series even after all these years, it introduced so many new features that just blew my mind back then, and it was the only game in the series that got me REALLY hyped up and excited, heck, I'm pretty sure I got a Gamecube just for this game. (I liked the original, but even back then I found it kind of barebones even back then and there wasn't a whole lot to do after unlocking everything. Brawl was just a major disappointment for me even back then, the mechanics were slow and floaty, everyone tripped all the time, the graphics were too gritty and lifeless especially for a Nintendo game, and I just felt it wasn't nearly as exciting overall, nothing about it really compelled me to complete it 100% aside from Subspace Emissary, which was kind of boring and tedious overall. Not a bad game, but definitely my least favourite in the series.)

Loved this game back then, and I still do.
Ultimate Fox
said at 10:22 AM on Wed Oct 23 2013
Fox for the Ultimate!
said at 1:14 AM on Wed Oct 10 2012
I kicked so much ass with this game. Even some of the BEST people I've EVER seen play this game had trouble beating me! lol
said at 10:54 PM on Sat Feb 11 2012
I can't believe this game is ten years old. Even though I like Brawl a little better, I get MAJOR nostalgia whenever I play Melee or listen to its music. Good freakin' times.
SM Scorx
said at 7:19 PM on Wed Feb 9 2011
I think he's separate for 2 reasons:
1) He's a non-playable boss character (a tough one at that).
2) His background image is the Super Smash Bros emblem, not the Mushroom Kingdom symbol like Bowser's.

Plus if we go by your logic, then Dr. Mario is the same as Mario, despite the fact Dr. Mario is actually heavier than Mario and has different move quirks (his Super Jump Punch actually packs more of a wallop than Mario's and Dr. Mario shoots pills instead of fireballs.
said at 7:37 PM on Wed Feb 9 2011
@SM Scorx In the game, then yeah, they've got different movesets, so with the definition of "character" being "fighter" or "playable character", they're different characters. But, in the definition of character as in "person", they are the same person. Dr. Mario is separate from Mario because he's a different character (meaning different moves). But he's also the same as Mario because they are the same character (meaning "person"). Make sense?
SM Scorx
said at 4:07 PM on Wed Feb 9 2011
Why is there a picture of Giga Bowser there instead of Bowser? They are both separate characters.
said at 6:10 PM on Wed Feb 9 2011
@SM Scorx Giga Bowser's just a powered-up version of Bowser, not a separate individual. I didn't think it'd make a difference.
Captain Falcon