Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Franchise: Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Cast

Comments

MizukaS
said at 12:49 AM on Sat Nov 11 2017
Persona 3 is a great game! The dub is ok, but I would nitpick on the fact that there's a bit too much multicasting going on. For instance, Grant George is the voice of Shinji, Jin and Kurosawa. Whereas Derek Stephen Prince is Takaya, the Headmaster AND Takeharu (Mitsuru's father). Even Liam O'Brien voices a secondary character, Eiichiro Takeba (Yukari's dad). I've also heard Yuri as a random teenage boy that got murdered by Takaya. That aside, Paula is also very unfitting as Fuka, especially when you pit that voice against Wendee Lee's portrayal in the Arena games.

But that's about it. I'm not sure what Aniplex is gonna do if they ever decide to dub the P3 movies. Now that the dubbing pool has welcomed a lot more VAs, would they recast some of the roles above to eliminate the multicasting problem (to clarify - it's not multicasting as a whole that I have a problem with, it's more so how there is little variation between the voices)? Specifically, I would like to know if Wendee is gonna continue to provide the voice of both Fuka and Chihiro, or just one of them (hopefully just Fuka, if you ask me). For Grant's roles, I'm ok if he keeps both Shinji and Kurosawa, but I seriously wouldn't mind if his role of Jin is recast to another VA.
HylianBelmont
said at 5:18 PM on Sat Nov 11 2017
@MizukaS I'd argue Wendee Lee makes Fuuka sound more peppy than she really should honestly. It's a "slight" improvement in terms of acting but it's not much better. Personally I think they should've jus directed Paula Tiso like they did in the P3P scenes (that required new VA) because she honestly fit the role, from a vocal standpoint IMO.
MizukaS
said at 6:09 PM on Sat Nov 11 2017
@HylianBelmont
Disagreed. Wendee does not make Fuka sound "peppy" if you ask me. She's such a big improvement by making her sound sweet and caring; the perfect "subordinate" voice, considering she works for Mitsuru. Paula, on the other hand, is a downright miscast, especially with consideration that her voice is naturally low pitched and it's very, very obvious that she's forcing the high pitch. It doesn't work. And as you've said, the acting leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I still think Wendee is perfect as Fuka.

Sure, Wendee sounds low pitched naturally as well, but she could hit the higher range quite easily (Haruhi is easily one of the best examples of which).
Marakutanay
said at 6:41 PM on Sat Nov 11 2017
@MizukaS @MizukaS I agree that the multicasting hurt this dub somewhat, luckily P5 show us that the budget for this series has increased and now they can hire VA just to do additional voices. I also wouldn't mind if they decide to recast Jin, Natsuki and the others so as to not overused the main cast. Tara as Elizabeth should stay though, they sound distinct enough IMO.
HylianBelmont
said at 5:19 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
@MizukaS I never thought her acting was "flat-out" awful. Just that P3P and the FES scenes showed that it could've been a lot better however. Besides... by that logic, wouldn't Wendee Lee be "miscast" as well? Both of them do have rather similar voices really (not just as Fuuka, but in other roles as well)
HylianBelmont
said at 5:20 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
@Marakutanay I really don't. Nothing wrong with showing a VA range, and Yuri, Tara, and DSP did a great job with it in particular, IMO.
MizukaS
said at 6:00 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
@HylianBelmont
Comparing Wendee and Paula as Fuka is like night and day. Wendee is far from being miscast; yes, her voice is naturally low pitched as well, but she has shown many, many times that her voice is extremely tangible to the point where she could not only change the pitch of her voice, but she could also tweak it to fit the required archetypes as well. Bold, reserved, brash, authoritative, childish, ditzy, mature; Wendee's done pretty much everything.

Additionally, Paula can't hit nearly as high as Wendee can, and she just plain isn't suited for introverted, reserved characters. Let's say her Orochi (Fire Emblem) is a good example of her higher range. It still wouldn't work because it's too low pitched for Fuka. Contrarily, Wendee sounds very natural when she pitches up her own voice, probably owing to the fact that she's been doing higher pitched voices for decades.

I also disagree that Paula and Wendee have similar vocal structures, with the key difference being Wendee's range is much, much wider than Paula's. I also think Wendee is a better actor than Paula. Paula's portrayal as Fuka sounded very wooden to me, almost as bad as Tracey Rooney as Chie, if not worse. Wendee fixes everything that was wrong with Paula's portrayal, similar to how Erin Fitzgerald fixes everything that was wrong with Tracey's performance.

Well, that's it with my analysis.
Marakutanay
said at 6:13 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
@HylianBelmont I believe that in dubs the main cast should be use as little as possible outside their roles; no problem with Tara and DSP, but Yuri was cast as pretty much every not old NPC and Grant was the worst IMO. Shinji and Jin have scenes talking to each other and since Jin is also a quite serious character all that Grant could do was use a slightly higher pitch for him. Of course, I'm not criticizing Grant or anything, I just think that Jin should be voiced by someone else.
MizukaS
said at 10:25 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
@Marakutanay
I think I'm most iffy about Derek as Takeharu. His design suggests a much, much deeper voice like Richard Epcar's. And yeah, it's pretty cringy to hear Yuri as extras as well. He's got the most recognizable voice out of the main cast. I also agree that Jin should be recast to a different VA in a possible P3 movie dub. Grant's voice is easy to pick out as well. As for Eiichiro, instead of Liam O'Brien, my pick would be Kirk Thornton. He's done a lot of fathers before, and I think he would nail it.
Soul-dragon
said at 3:05 PM on Wed Feb 14 2018
@MizukaS With Derek as Takaya I honestly felt like Kokichi had grown up and decided to kill people.
HylianBelmont
said at 2:28 AM on Thu Feb 15 2018
@MizukaS Her being a "better actor" is just your opinion, I mean? Hardly fact. Direction plays a big part in these things you must realise.
HylianBelmont
said at 2:29 AM on Thu Feb 15 2018
@Marakutanay Eh, agree to disagree on that part then.
Soul-dragon
said at 9:47 AM on Thu Feb 15 2018
@HylianBelmont Paula Tiso is talented. She's amazing as Camillia and Orochi (still wish she hadn't gotten replaced) but she doesn't fit Fuuka. Granted it got a bit to much blacklash but I honestly think she would've fit Chidori or Mitsuru better.
Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon