Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

US Release: Oct 02, 1997
Japan Release: Mar 20, 1997
Europe Release: Nov 01, 1997

Game Developer: Konami

Popularity: 168th All Time, 189th This Week

Franchise: Castlevania
Remade in 2007 as part of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. The remake had a different script and used Los Angeles-based actors.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Cast

Comments

HylianBelmont
said at 3:53 AM on Tue Oct 25 2016
I remember watching a playthrough of this game a little while before I actually played it on the PSP. So I have a fondness for both dubs to be honest. But regardless of that this is still an absolutely classic Castlevania title!

"Lost Painting' is also one of the most beautiful themes I've ever heard in gaming by the way. Seriously it's so great.
CelestialOuroboros
said at 7:03 AM on Sun Oct 16 2016
This may be an unpopular opinion and all, but I honestly find myself partial to the original English cast. Part of why I prefer them to the relatively newer troupe does stem from nostalgia alongside memorability in a So Bad, It's Perfect way, though another reason is that the voices are overall more distinctive. On a technical front, the redub is superior (David Vincent's Richter Belmont is a highlight), though most of the performances come off as either too familiar-sounding or... bland; Yuri Lowenthal as Alucard sort of works given the character's appearance, yet he doesn't have the staying power Robert Belgrade possesses. My two cents in the end.
HylianBelmont
said at 11:47 AM on Sun Oct 16 2016
@CelestialOuroboros I think one of the main reasons I prefer the redub is because of David Vincent's Richter alone haha. Like he sounded perfect in the role from the get-go in my opinion!

I do understand why people don't like Yuri's take on the character. However it was the first role of his that made me look up who he was! So I'll never be able to bring myself to dislike it honestly. If you get what I mean.
HylianBelmont
said at 3:02 AM on Fri Apr 29 2016
While I kind of prefer the redub overall there are a few things that I quite like from the old one. Death and Dracula in particular were probably my favourite voices from the old dub.
PokeDude011
said at 4:36 PM on Wed Feb 17 2016
WHAT IS A MAN? A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS! BUT ENOUGH TALK, HAVE AT YOU!
HylianBelmont
said at 2:58 AM on Fri Apr 29 2016
@PokeDude011 MAGNIFICENT! Now feel my unbridled wrath!
Gaddes
said at 8:24 PM on Wed Oct 8 2014
Robert Belgrade was the only real stand out performance honestly.
Metabad
said at 9:57 PM on Fri Oct 24 2014
@Gaddes Dennis Falt as well.
Gaddes
said at 11:32 PM on Fri Oct 24 2014
@Metabad Yeah, he as alright as well.
HienFan
said at 4:47 AM on Thu Mar 5 2015
@Metabad Didn't really hate the dub like most people do, I thought they did alright for the most part, my only real gripes are with Dracula, Maria and Richter
Metabad
said at 1:48 PM on Fri May 29 2015
@HienFan I actually liked Maria, but otherwise I do agree for the most part. I don't really like the Succubus' original voice, and I felt Belgrade has always been pretty iffy and entertaining as Alucard, but yeah I don't hate the dub at all, it's flawed, but pretty fun all around.

Plus Death's original voice is pretty much how I always imagined his voice in any medium ever, if skeletons could talk, that's how I'd imagine them all to sound like.
HienFan
said at 6:44 AM on Fri Jan 29 2016
@Metabad A long time but I meant Young Maria not adult Maria
Metabad
said at 9:25 PM on Mon Feb 1 2016
@HienFan Ahh, well that I can agree with completely.
HienFan
said at 10:10 PM on Tue Oct 7 2014
Some weird voices(Dracula) but also some good voices(ALUCARD) on the old port, Robert Belgrade you will be missed
Toady_12
said at 4:47 PM on Tue Oct 30 2012
Actually, Richter was voiced by Michael Gough II and Dracula by Scott McCulloch
said at 5:52 PM on Tue Oct 30 2012
@Toady_12 Nope.
Toady_12
said at 6:09 PM on Tue Oct 30 2012
@NCZ Really? Okay, but that's what I read everywhere on the Internet. Mabye it was wrong
Xenogeist
said at 1:05 PM on Thu Jun 14 2012
Robert Belgrade's voice as Alucard is magnificent. I believe the deep voice suits the conflicted son who knows that his father is evil, and yet has been told—or taught—to kill humans.
said at 1:15 PM on Thu Jun 14 2012
@Xenogeist I agree with you. The rest of the voice acting in the PS1 version was iffy, but Alucard's voice was actually really good.
Metabad
said at 11:45 PM on Sat Jun 23 2012
@NCZ I thought Death's voice was pretty good.
RedHumanJared15
said at 7:57 PM on Sun Mar 20 2011
This game makes a more interesting and high, dark approach to the series... I like that! What with its incredible voice acting (weird and cheesy scripts, by the way), graphics, gameplay and story. However I will say that the nostalgic factor goes more for Super Castlevania IV, in my opinion. And about the voice clips above, why couldn't those be from the original version, and not the PSP version? The recasting is great, but the nostalgic factor is more gone than back and I would not kill to ever play this version. Rest aside, I'd like to steal a little bit of dialogue for my admiration to this wonderful game... Here it goes!

Richter: Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!
Alucard
Richter Belmont
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Castlevania: Symphony of the Night characters.
Richter Belmont
Richter Belmont
Maria Renard (Younger)
Maria Renard (Younger)
Maria Renard (Adult)
Maria Renard (Adult)
Death
Death
Lisa Farenheights
Lisa Farenheights
Dracula
Dracula
CHECK OUT ALL 10 VOICE COMPARES »
RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night style=" on Amazon.com.