Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium

US Release: Nov 06, 2001
Japan Release: Aug 2001
Europe Release: Nov 30, 2001

Game Developer: Capcom

Popularity: 591st All Time, 545th This Week

Franchises: Capcom, SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium Cast

said at 7:20 AM on Tue Sep 20 2016
The soundtrack for this game is *so* great, as were the visuals at the time. I can't get enough of that announcer either. IF YOU CHOOSE THE WRONG GROOVE, YOU MAY JUST LOSE.
said at 9:27 PM on Tue Sep 20 2016

I REALLY loved this game and MVC2's aesthetic of putting 2D characters on 3D backgrounds. It was so seamless and really striking.

And those animations... So smooth. The art style of the CVS series was the perfect blend of Street Fighter II/KOF's realistically-proportioned, detailed shading, with Street Fighter III/Garou's rich colours and fluidity. To this day, I still feel it was one of Capcom's best artistic showcases.
said at 6:01 AM on Wed Sep 21 2016

I agree on the aesthetics, especially with all the SNK characters, the handful from SF Alpha 3 and the other Capcom members. The same can't be said for the rest of the SF Alpha 3 characters and Morrigan Aensland.

There were of some staple characters from other games that should been included, especially Robert Garcia where the story of CVS2 is that both the Masters Foundation and the Garcia concern are the main sponsors. Surely Robert should have participate.

In my opinion there's a lack of final boss characters in this game. Taking the super versions of Akuma and Rugal Bernstein aside, there's only 5 (if you include Sagat from SF1) final bosses. I wish there were more, for example Wolfgang Krauser from Fatal Fury 2 or Valgas from Power stone.

Other than the few issues I have, this game is still nice to look, even by today's standards.
said at 7:22 AM on Wed Sep 21 2016
@akersaotome For whatever inexplicable reason, Morrigan's sprite was ripped from the Darkstalkers games for this game alongside Marvel vs. Capcom 1, 2, and Fighting Evolution. I mean, say what you will about the quality of SvC Chaos, but that installment at least bothered to give Demitri Maximoff a new sprite; it's also telling that he represents DS there instead of the typical Morrigan, Felicia, or, hell, even Hsien-Ko.

Now that I think about it, Robert Garcia should've been a playable character for CvS2. Ryo and Yuri are here alongside King and - of all people - Ryuhaku Todoh, but no Robert? Like playing Jenga with two penguins and a Robo-Disney you haven't seen in forever, yet the closest penguin isn't present.
said at 8:31 AM on Wed Sep 21 2016
The SNK side did always have some notable omissions. A lot of the staple KOF teams were incomplete. Robert was one of the most glaring omissions, but having Terry and Joe with no Andy was strange too. Leaving out people like K' was also unfortunate.

SvC Chaos took some interesting liberties with the rosters. Demitri, Goddess Athena, Tessa, Genjuro, and Shiki were all welcome additions, but having Earthquake of all people as the last Samurai Shodown character will never not make me scratch my head.

As far as CVS2 goes, I really appreciated the inclusion of Rock, Kyosuke, Hibiki, Rolento, and Maki. They were all somewhat unusual choices, but I really appreciated their presence and they're a ton of fun to play as.

I didn't mind most of the SFAlpha characters having reused sprites since Capcom's top priority was clearly rendering the SNK characters, along with the dozens of other fighters they were pumping out at the time, which meant they had constraints to work with when developing the roster. Hence why both CVS games are basically Street Fighter vs King of Fighters, with a few bonuses. In my opinion the new sprites for the SF cast are the best they've ever looked, especially Chun Li and M. Bison. Morrigan though... Yeah, not going to make any excuses there. That sprite is basically a core aspect of her character because of how much mileage they got out of it.

My dream come true would have been another SNK vs Capcom game in the KOFXIII art style, but since SNK have moved to 3D that's probably a pipe dream for now.
Shaun Ince
said at 8:22 PM on Wed Sep 21 2016
@NCZ Man would I love them to do a Capcom Vs SNK 3. This game was one of my favorite crossover fighting games. Right up there with Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
said at 10:26 PM on Wed Jun 24 2015