Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Comments

1dbad
said at 8:31 PM on Mon Dec 26 2016
Zexal is the most controversial of the Yugioh series so far. It's very love it or hate it, with most fans seeming to skew towards the latter. Regardless of which version they watched. It's probably my least favorite as well, but I still found it an enjoyable enough watch. There's some really good stuff in Zexal, and I thought the second season in particular was especially strong.

As far as the dub goes, it's honestly the best out of 4Kids/4K Media's work on the franchise so far. It still suffers from the same issues that plague the other Yugioh dubs, but the characterization and plot is on-point more than usual. Zexal is the closest the Japanese version has come to matching the tone of the 4Kids dub, which helped a lot. I also have to give props to 4K Media for managing to fully dub the series. First time a Yugioh series has gotten fully dubbed since the original, so it's certainly a feat worthy of praise.
WrightWay
said at 1:05 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@1dbad
It's just a shame the Zexal dub has such subpar voice over acting & direction when compared to its predecessors- brings the quality of the whole production down several notches for me to the point where it's not enjoyable, despite not altering *quite* as much.
HylianBelmont
said at 1:14 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@WrightWay I remember liking Shark and Astral's voices in English, but not really caring for any of the other performances.

Maybe I'll give this show a shot again one day though. I just couldn't get into it like I did the first three IIRC
WrightWay
said at 1:17 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@HylianBelmont
Gary Mack did a decent Shark, and I think Marc Thompson's Astral is similar to his PokeDex voice, but with actual subtleties and emotions in it unlike the former- a standout showing from the Zexal dub.

I couldn't, either, though I will say Zexal in Japanese was a lot more enjoyable to me. I'll give the Zexal dub that it's not the Arc V dub, though, I find the latter intolerable altogether.
Ichigo341578926
said at 6:01 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@WrightWay You know I honestly never understood why people don't like the dub of Arc-V that much. I honestly thought it was MUCH better than the dub of Zexal. Especially in terms of casting on the main characters.
WrightWay
said at 6:04 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@Ichigo341578926
Well, for me anyway, Arc-V dub has fairly poor music replacement scoring (at least it's not "UFO"/"circus"/ballet/opera dub music unlike a certain other composer whose name I'm not mentioning because you know who I mean), Michael Liscio Jr. sort of struggles to emote as Yuya at times, Gong's dub voice in general is one of the worst stereotypes 4KMedia has ever done, scripting is so-so (sometimes fine, other times lame dub-isms like "Dueltainer" sneak in), Yuto's voice is way too deep for a kid his age, etc.

Not that you don't have the right to like the Arc V dub, but for me, it's the poorest dubbed saga in all of Yu-Gi-Oh in English.
Ichigo341578926
said at 6:17 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@WrightWay Well I guess I can understand those reasons, but I still enjoy the dub. Actually Arc-V got me back into the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. Not so sure how I feel on the next one yet though.
WrightWay
said at 6:18 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@Ichigo341578926
That's fine- you have every right to enjoy it. It's just not for me, honestly.

Yeah, the new protagonist's look is...interesting, but not sure how to feel about him, either. I hope the dub gets better for it, regardless.
Ichigo341578926
said at 6:50 PM on Tue Jan 10 2017
@WrightWay Fair enough.
HylianBelmont
said at 7:44 AM on Tue Oct 3 2017
@Ichigo341578926 Compare Yuya's voice to Yuma's.

That alone shows much better the voice direction for Arc-V's dub is IMO.
HylianBelmont
said at 7:48 AM on Tue Oct 3 2017
@WrightWay I've actually found another voice in Zexal's dub I like. Vector's. It's another great example of Billy Bob Thompson's range, if anything else.
Miles XIII
said at 1:53 PM on Thu Dec 22 2016
Agreed. I think this is the main reason why ZEXAL gets so much hate. Though dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh! in general has always been pretty terrible.
HylianBelmont
said at 7:45 AM on Tue Oct 3 2017
@Miles XIII First off, some people dislike Zexal for OTHER reasons as well (not necessarily the dub)

And as for that last part, it depends on what aspect of it you're referring to really.
Joel the Pokekid
said at 9:29 PM on Wed Apr 27 2016
This dub was just... AWEFUL!!!
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:24 AM on Sun Dec 30 2012
Kristi Reed, the ADR director for Bang Zoom, mentioned that ADK had contracted them to do an English dub of YGO Zexal during the lawsuit with 4Kids. They completed 26 episodes (with two more in production) before the project was shut down when 4Kids got the license to the show.

The Bang Zoom dub was still edited, and still had replaced music, but featured a more accurate script, and the folks at Bang Zoom got the original animation files and were able to reanimate lip flaps if needed. It featured Johnny Yong Bosch as Yuma, Vic Mignogna as Shark, Cassandra Lee Morris as Tori, Liam O'Brien as Astral, Sam Riegel as Kite, and Richard Cansino as Bronk.

Kristi talks about the project quite extensively here, and a clip of this dub is shown at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3xPs0pM-Pq4
1dbad
said at 1:56 PM on Tue Aug 4 2015
@PurpleWarrior13 This would've been the next best thing to an uncut dub. It's such a shame we didn't get it, and even more so that those 26 episodes of hard work can't even be released.

I remember back when we were wondering who would take over after 4Kids went bankrupt that there was actually the possibility of an uncut dub too. Funimation was one of the companies that seemed interested in it, and had even left a social media post about how cool it would be to have "uncut Yugioh dubs air on their Funimation channel". But instead, Konami just kept most of 4Kids employees and simply rebranded them 4K Media.
Dr.Who
said at 2:31 AM on Thu Dec 10 2015
@1dbad
You know what's worse? 4KMedia/Konami is doing a worse job with Yu-Gi-Oh than 4Kids did so far: this is a TPCi Pokemon level of an intro (terrible), only a little longer, so at least it's not like 30-35 seconds long- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A16Ilypv624.

I'll give them this: at least unlike TPCi, Konami/4KMedia acknowledges Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh exists, there's some degree of hope with them- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1Ve93BNFA
1dbad
said at 3:09 AM on Sun Dec 13 2015
@Dr.Who Believe it or not 4K Media is actually 4Kids for the most part! When Konami got the rights to the series, they bought their building and most of their employees. But yeah, the quality of the Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs has really gone down.

I do appreciate how they are acknowledging Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! too though! In fact they've even partnered with Crunchyroll, to offer legal subtitles for most of the series. 5D's is already complete, and they're currently working on DM and GX!
HylianBelmont
said at 7:45 AM on Tue Oct 3 2017
@PurpleWarrior13 I think I like it even LESS than the 4K Media dub

Wow.
CindyMad
said at 10:09 PM on Mon Nov 26 2012
I like this show!! The character Flip, hes so funny! The show is funny!
tailz
said at 9:10 PM on Sat May 26 2012
Iv'e seen this show. It's on every saturday mornings @ 9:00am. I never watched it, but I usually leave the TV on in the mornings just to wake up early to watch Sonic X. I don't pay much attention to it when it's on though.
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016