Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Comments

WrightWay
said at 8:21 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
I believe the edited 4Kids Duel Monsters dub varies in quality GREATLY in each of the five seasons, IMO: reading the comments, my impression is that people have either said it's "nostalgia" without any reasoning for why it could be liked and/or should be hated, or praise it wildly because "I like the acting & the dub exclusive music, therefore, the dub is fine because of that, even if it has many problems that I'm ignoring because I don't want to admit how seriously flawed it is at times" here.

Myself, though? I'm pretty neutral on the edited 4Kids dub of Duel Monsters here- I can acknowledge it *does* have its strengths, but there are notable weaknesses as well, so without further ado, here's what I think of it going from Season 1 to Season 5.

Season 1: Duelist Kingdom's dub...is actually pretty decently handled, average fare. There's a few lame puns about "Dino demolition," dub Joey being a dumbed down idiot at points for humor purposes, music replacement score is annoying sometimes but at least it's not obtrusive like what FUNi did to DBZ/DBGT early on, but other than that...the voice acting is very good, dub Yami/Atem especially sounds better here than he does for the rest of the (Anime) Series, like a 16 year old teen (which is how old he is), rather than some 35 year old gruff sexy deep-voiced man some dub fans want him to be, because it makes him sound badass! Dub Kaiba's script is surprisingly adapted well (and probably than it is for the rest of the Series) making him the same antihero he is rather than some snarky jerk like the dub will love to make him out to be later, but we'll get to that soon, and the script writers for the dub got Tea (Anzu) and Tristan (Honda)'s characters right across all 5 seasons, so there's that much going for them. Of course, you have the "finger gun" edits, but that doesn't take away from the show in any way, so it's pretty much nitpicking.

The only real issue? Japanese music gets replaced with dub music- the dub music score isn't offensive, Joel Douek at least had experience with composing music in the past and he's even gone on to win some awards in the field, so *obviously* the man had talent, but removing Passionate Duelist style OST is NOT a good thing, IMO.

Dungeon Dice Monsters has a passable dub as well, Duke (Otogi)'s dub voice is very good on Marc Thompson's part: http://www.animecauldron.com/ygouncensored/episode76.html.

Season 2: Battle City is just...a wreck in the dub, an absolute DISASTER, which unfortunately some seem to think is the best Arc in the dub...but it's the opposite. The whole plot is destroyed by the script writers: Marik is turned into some cliche "I want to conquer the world mwahahaha MIND SLAVE" token villain in the dub whereas in Japanese, he wants revenge of the Pharaoh for believing he killed his father so he wants to steal his power as such, dub Kaiba becomes a one-note jerk script-wise whereas his Japanese counterpart begins to become nicer, Kaiba in the dub being the most dense idiot as well to any real threats passing them off as "Hologram" garbage, dub Joey is his same dumbed down self script-wise meaning he loves lame puns, etc. Hell is turned into "The Shadow Realm," "Dark Energy Discs" that will send you to this "Shadow Realm" happen to cut your limbs off and kill you in the Japanese Version, all kinds of censorship/cuts, I just...don't even know what to say, if there's ONE Season you should watch in Japanese more than any, it's this one. The *one* bright spot in this mess? The mind-controlled Joey and Yugi duel is the same script wise in the dub & Japanese Version, so 4Kids got that right, even if there's still dub music playing over it.

Virtual World Filler is something I will praise dub Kaiba on for once script-wise, he's right, "Let's forget that happened" because it just took away from the plot in general, not that the story with Noah & Kaiba's adoptive father is bad, it's good, but it was misplaced here in both Versions IMO- dub did better with this than Battle City, though, I'll give it that.

(Season 3-5 edited dub review continued after this post...)
WrightWay
said at 8:44 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@WrightWay

Season 3: Battle City in the dub is Battle City, what's there to say- edits, puns, the works, it's just a mess. At least the second half here is way better than what happened in Season 2 in terms of the script adapting, I'll give it that, the script writers actually let Joey say the words "You really kill me, you know that?" which was surprising, and they didn't do too bad overall, minus the "Shadow Realm" this and "Heart of the Cards" that stuff. Dub music is bland, but it's not offensive, won't comment on that.

Season 4: Basically, it's the season when everyone who watched the dub stopped watching the show because people thought no one could be a better villain than Yami Marik and these reject biker gang guys were lame, but actually, the dub's script was accurate here- the whole soul losing thing is in both Versions, there were less puns, less insults, the script was adapted properly here. The acting is what sucks in this Season's dub because basically you have dub Yami & Kaiba shouting at each other yelling out everything in over-the-top ways, but dub Joey, Tea, and Tristan were well voiced, Yugi's kind of in this weird place where he has a higher-pitched voice than he usually does, but he wasn't bad either. Wayne Grayson's Dartz is pretty spot on to the Japanese seiyu, even if the villain is kinda lame with his utopia Atlantis stuff, too.

KC Grand Prix is the third Filler Arc in the Series: dub Kaiba still screams his lines out for no reason, dub Yami still sounds at least 20 years older than he should, Sigfried (sp?) has a questionable accent choice, Mokuba's dub voice is changed into a hoarse & raspier one, but they didn't do much editing at all here & the script is adapted well, minus Kaiba still insulting people in the dub, because why not?

Season 5: Memory World is hit-or-miss in the dub. On the acting front, finally, dub Kaiba stops shouting his lines and talks like an actual person, glad Eric stopped that here. Yami's voice is still too gruff and deep for his age in the dub, but at least Dan's also acting the part much better and not shouting, another good point. Yugi's voice is kinda squeakier, but he's 14, it works- he's shy, after all, matches his personality. Everyone else is fine acting wise, but Ted Lewis steals the show as Yami Bakura though, IMO.

Script wise, the first half is laden with rewrites and the whole Evil Thief thing isn't made up by the dub, but they change other stuff for no reason because they can and script-wise, Kaiba is still too dense to tell he's in Egypt pretending he's in a hologram projection (what?).

The second half including the Ceremonial Duel is...surprisingly handled decently by the dub, the only changes were visual edits to moves in the duels, and dub Kaiba is finally not a jerk for the first time since Season 1, acknowledging that "I see now Yugi is the King of Games," which was nice to see. The only issue is the ending where dub Joey randomly asks dub Yugi to make up a friendship speech to summarize what happened (again, what?), and they cut the credits out, but at least the rest of the last portion of Season 5 was done decently.

And yeah, I just reviewed an edited dub about a show involving children's card games, but it was fun.

Overall, I'd say the edited 4Kids dub is OK, average fare: nothing to write home about at all, but it served its purpose, it's watchable enough- the voice cast is the best thing about it like others have said, IMO, despite their inconsistency.
HylianBelmont
said at 2:19 PM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@WrightWay I actually think the dub of Season 1 is probably my favourite part of the whole thing honestly (Although tbh it's my favourite part of the show, period) I think the voice direction was at it's strongest here. Especially with Kaiba IMO.

But yeah, I really hope I didn't come off as someone who's perfectly content with how certain things were edited because of all the positives I found etc. Because really, I'm not.
WrightWay
said at 3:48 PM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@HylianBelmont
I agree with you on that, and you didn't at all, I was just trying to explain how I feel about each Season and that (I) don't view the dub here as "someone can only like this because of nostalgia because I said so" or "This is the best 4Kids dub 'cuz I like it! No other reason!" I'm personally so painfully neutral on the whole thing, it hurts.

Although I will say DSOD's dub is heads & shoulders above the Anime dub here from the same production team: Kaiba in particular is better than he's ever been handled in English, both script & voice wise (IMO).
HylianBelmont
said at 4:04 PM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@WrightWay Yeah that's fair enough really. I definitely respect that opinion.

I've heard lots of great things about his portrayal of Kaiba there. And I'm glad to hear that honestly.
EPA Deane
said at 1:29 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Having Seen a Lot of Complaints towards the 4Kids Dub, it got me thinking....

Why Not have an Uncut Dub Performed by Ocean's VA Cast?

Here are Some Casting Choices:

Michael Adamthwaite: Yami Yugi/ Atem and Yugi Muto

Lara Gilchrist: Anzu Mazaki

Trevor Devall: Katsuya Jonouchi

Michael Dobson: Hiroto Honda

Alessandro Juliani: Ryo Bakura and Yami Bakura

Mark Hildreth : Seto Kaiba

Saffron Henderson: Mokuba Kaiba

Rebecca Shoichet: Mai Kujaku

Colin Murdock: Pegasus J. Crawford

Vincent Tong: Ryuji Otogi

Andrew Francis: Noah Kaiba

Britt McKillip: Shizuka Kawai

Anyone Like These Suggestions?

(For The Record, I am also a fan of The 4Kids dub, so I'm not Prejudiced against it.

This list is all in good fun).
said at 1:55 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
@EPA Deane

They tried an uncut dub and the demand for it was too low.
EPA Deane
said at 3:34 PM on Mon Mar 20 2017
@NCZ I Know. This was just a little casting experiment I like to do with Franchises I Love.
Firion2
said at 3:55 AM on Wed Feb 15 2017
Honestly, I will never understand what's so special about dub aside from nostalgia.
sennen3
said at 9:58 AM on Wed Feb 15 2017
@Firion2 The epicness of Dan Green's Yami Yugi voice?
HylianBelmont
said at 11:18 AM on Wed Feb 15 2017
@Firion2 I suppose for some of good points that 1dbad mentioned. Like the voice cast is on-point, and the localised score is actually good on it's own merits.

It may have it's obvious flaws mind you, but regardless I have to admit, I still love it haha. I rewatched the first episode earlier today actually. The part where Exodia is summoned for the first time is still rather lovely IMO.
GreenGoblin75
said at 1:20 PM on Wed Feb 15 2017
@HylianBelmont
"EXODIA, OBLITERATE!!!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"
HylianBelmont
said at 4:00 PM on Wed Feb 15 2017
@GreenGoblin75 Haha, yeah! I've said this before I believe, but it's really interesting hearing how they sounded here vs. Season 3 for example. I prefer Kaiba's more subtly arrogant voice in the earlier episodes. However at the same time... I kinda like Yami's deeper voice in the later ones more?

I can totally understand why people would prefer Yugi and Yami/Atem's voice in the first season though!
1dbad
said at 10:13 PM on Sun Dec 4 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh! is an interesting localization. The voice cast is solid, and a lot stronger than the Odex cast. The music may not be as good as the Japanese score, but it's one of the best scores I've heard for a localized dub. (let alone a 4Kids title) It's the scripting left a lot to be desired. It goes without saying there's going to be additional humor and content tone-downs, given the target demographic. But that's not all 4Kids did. Plot points got changed for little to no reason, character development was removed, and even the mood of scenes were changed in some cases. As a result, the dub isn't quite as good as it could have been, even by localization standards.

Because of that, I'd really love to see a proper redub of the series at some point. It would be especially great if they kept the dub cast. Most of the dub VAs turned out solid performances in spite of these issues. Just imagine how good they could be with better material to work with!
FF91
said at 6:16 PM on Mon Dec 5 2016
@1dbad 4Kids's edits are a reason I highly prefer the Japanese version so much more.
GreenGoblin75
said at 7:32 PM on Mon Dec 5 2016
@FF91
Very understandable, however it's really hard (IMO) to watch the show without the dub cast. Dan Green, Eric Stuart, & Co. were perfect in my eyes.
1dbad
said at 12:55 AM on Tue Dec 6 2016
@FF91 Same here. The dub will always be nostalgic for me, but I find the Japanese version much more interesting nowadays. It's especially nice after reading the manga - a lot of the Japanese dialogue is lifted right off the page!

I think part of why I want a redub so much is I'd love for people to see what they've missed out on. Crunchyroll offering the Japanese version subbed is helping, but a redub would give the original story a lot more exposure.
EPA Deane
said at 1:04 PM on Wed Nov 16 2016
I had no Idea that Eric Stuart was the Voice Director for The 4Kids Dub.... Fascinating :)
GreenGoblin75
said at 2:41 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@EPA Deane
Darren Dunstan & Chris Collet also did additional voice direction.
HylianBelmont
said at 5:53 AM on Thu Aug 4 2016
I always have really liked this dub despite it's faults.
WrightWay
said at 11:09 PM on Wed Nov 16 2016
@HylianBelmont
I'll say this much: the dub has very good voice acting for the most part, and it was actually fairly faithful to the Japanese Version during the Duelist Kingdom, DOMA (Season 4), and KC Grand Prix Arcs in terms of its script writing/dialogue. It's Battle City and the Memory World Arc the dub really messed up with, IMO: those two Arcs where the dub is at its most rewrite and censor happy, and it can get really annoying.

Well, that and the Japanese music is much better, but the dub music score is pretty acceptable and listenable, so I don't mind, but the OST has a much more passionate feeling:

Darkness Dragon
said at 2:17 AM on Tue Aug 2 2016
The dub was kinda met but I did like the voice actors.
It would be cool if funimation redubbed it
Dr.Who
said at 11:27 PM on Sun Dec 6 2015
Like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh is a Series I ironically think was better dubbed by 4Kids, though in this show's case the censorship and re-writes were far greater. That said, I preferred the 4Kids/FUNimation Uncut dub episodes dub the most, I wish that dub wasn't cancelled after 9 episodes:

The Odex dub's voice acting and casting just seemed too miscast and unfitting for me, in particular I cannot comprehend whoever made the decision to have Yami Bakura sound like Peter Lorre in particular, and some of the dialogue was very rigid to me.

Shame Konami/4KMedia have the rights to this franchise now, I'd like to see FUNimation continue their old cancelled dub with the 4Kids actors for this Series, sort of like what they did with Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R.
vgiannell5
said at 2:24 PM on Sun Aug 9 2015
The only arc I didn't was the one involving Dartz. He brainwashed Rafael, Alister, Valon, and Mai Valentine to do his bidding even though he himself was brainwashed by the Orichalcos.
Dr.Who
said at 6:55 PM on Sat Feb 6 2016
@vgiannell5
I disagree. That was the peak for me, and actually I think it was a lot better dubbed than Battle City, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDBq2RevDo.

Marik's so overrated to me, I hate that people overlook the Memory World Arc and DOMA because of him.
EPA Deane
said at 7:45 AM on Tue Feb 14 2017
@Dr.Who That is my Favourite Season.

I actually think Wayne Grayson's performance as Joey Wheeler reached its peak there.
HienFan
said at 9:08 PM on Wed Sep 10 2014
The Odex has some really weird choices minus Ishizu who actually sounds better than the 4Kids one
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 6:39 PM on Mon Jun 24 2013
Does anyone else want to see Season 0 released on DVD? I thought that show was a lot of fun and an underrated gem when it comes to anime. Plus, it had an awesome theme song.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 1:48 PM on Thu Aug 22 2013
@PsychicVoiceSpy
I've watched it in Japanese with subtitles myself and I share your desire to see it released on DVD one day. I must say it's pretty awesome to see how sadistic Yami Yugi, and how he toys with his opponents the way he does. Seto Kaiba has his trademark green hair as well. Miho was an interesting character as well.

I always laugh at one of the episodes where Joey (aka Jounouchi) has that soda can and sprays it on the guy that was bullying Yugi. I don't know why, but I found it extremely funny. XD.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 2:02 PM on Fri Aug 23 2013
@OldSchoolFTW I also just like how it took the "game king" concept with Yami Yugi and really ran with it. Plus, it had a much greater sense of mystery to it. I wonder how Dan Green would do as the more sadistic and mysterious Yami Yugi from this show if he got the chance...
1dbad
said at 11:49 PM on Tue Aug 4 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy It didn't enjoy it as much as I did the manga version, but I would love to see a release as well, even if only a subtitled streaming one. Unfortunately I fear it's not too likely. Aside from the whole card game issue, it was also produced by a different company than the card game ones (Toei), and they seem they'd rather to forget about it after it's poor success in Japan.
CindyMad
said at 7:58 PM on Mon Nov 26 2012
I love this Yu-Gi-Oh! Great characters (Ryou Bakura is soooo cute! ^_^), I just love this show!!! I wonder if there would be a show called Yu-Gi-Oh but with real people acting and looking exacally like the characters! That would be so awesome!!!
SpongeBat1
said at 8:54 PM on Sat Jun 16 2012
Personally, I prefer the Abridged dub to the others. Believe it or not, the abridged series has a page on IMDb! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578694/
Metabad
said at 2:35 AM on Wed Sep 28 2011
Yeah, I don't like the Odex dub either, Taaz Gil seems severely miscast as Marik and Yami Marik...and is it just me, or does their recording equipment seem cheap? There's this low quality sound that is also present in their One Piece dub as will.

Say what you want about 4kids, but at least the voice cast was consistent, fit the personality of the characters and was very good for the most part.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 11:02 PM on Sun Nov 13 2011
@Metabad At least 4Kids' dub sounded, oh I dunno... PROFESSIONAL!!!

BTW, according to the ANN interview with the former Geneon CEO, Odex was charging only $2,000 per episode, which is REALLY cheap considering most anime dubs are over $10,000 per episode!
Metabad
said at 5:41 AM on Tue Nov 15 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 Exactly.

So it was that cheap, huh? Interesting tidbit of information, but then again I'm not really that surprised.
Joey Wheeler
Mahad
Yugi Muto
Mai Valentine
Valon
Yami Bakura
Weevil Underwood
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters characters.
Yami Marik
Yami Marik
Mokuba Kaiba
Mokuba Kaiba
Ishizu Ishtar
Ishizu Ishtar
Yugi Muto
Yugi Muto
Bakura
Bakura
Seto Kaiba
Seto Kaiba
CHECK OUT ALL 21 VOICE COMPARES »
RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters style=" on Amazon.com.