Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Comments

1dbad
said at 10:13 PM on Sun Dec 4 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh! is an interesting localization. The voice cast is solid, and a lot stronger than the Odex cast. The music may not be as good as the Japanese score, but it's one of the best scores I've heard for a localized dub. (let alone a 4Kids title) It's the scripting left a lot to be desired. It goes without saying there's going to be additional humor and content tone-downs, given the target demographic. But that's not all 4Kids did. Plot points got changed for little to no reason, character development was removed, and even the mood of scenes were changed in some cases. As a result, the dub isn't quite as good as it could have been, even by localization standards.

Because of that, I'd really love to see a proper redub of the series at some point. It would be especially great if they kept the dub cast. Most of the dub VAs turned out solid performances in spite of these issues. Just imagine how good they could be with better material to work with!
FF91
said at 6:16 PM on Mon Dec 5 2016
@1dbad 4Kids's edits are a reason I highly prefer the Japanese version so much more.
EPA Deane
said at 1:04 PM on Wed Nov 16 2016
I had no Idea that Eric Stuart was the Voice Director for The 4Kids Dub.... Fascinating :)
GreenGoblin75
said at 2:41 PM on Sun Nov 20 2016
@EPA Deane
Darren Dunstan & Chris Collet also did additional voice direction.
HylianBelmont
said at 5:53 AM on Thu Aug 4 2016
I always have really liked this dub despite it's faults.
WrightWay
said at 11:09 PM on Wed Nov 16 2016
@HylianBelmont
I'll say this much: the dub has very good voice acting for the most part, and it was actually fairly faithful to the Japanese Version during the Duelist Kingdom, DOMA (Season 4), and KC Grand Prix Arcs in terms of its script writing/dialogue. It's Battle City and the Memory World Arc the dub really messed up with, IMO: those two Arcs where the dub is at its most rewrite and censor happy, and it can get really annoying.

Well, that and the Japanese music is much better, but the dub music score is pretty acceptable and listenable, so I don't mind, but the OST has a much more passionate feeling:

Darkness Dragon
said at 2:17 AM on Tue Aug 2 2016
The dub was kinda met but I did like the voice actors.
It would be cool if funimation redubbed it
Dr.Who
said at 11:27 PM on Sun Dec 6 2015
Like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh is a Series I ironically think was better dubbed by 4Kids, though in this show's case the censorship and re-writes were far greater. That said, I preferred the 4Kids/FUNimation Uncut dub episodes dub the most, I wish that dub wasn't cancelled after 9 episodes:

The Odex dub's voice acting and casting just seemed too miscast and unfitting for me, in particular I cannot comprehend whoever made the decision to have Yami Bakura sound like Peter Lorre in particular, and some of the dialogue was very rigid to me.

Shame Konami/4KMedia have the rights to this franchise now, I'd like to see FUNimation continue their old cancelled dub with the 4Kids actors for this Series, sort of like what they did with Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R.
vgiannell5
said at 2:24 PM on Sun Aug 9 2015
The only arc I didn't was the one involving Dartz. He brainwashed Rafael, Alister, Valon, and Mai Valentine to do his bidding even though he himself was brainwashed by the Orichalcos.
Dr.Who
said at 6:55 PM on Sat Feb 6 2016
@vgiannell5
I disagree. That was the peak for me, and actually I think it was a lot better dubbed than Battle City, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDBq2RevDo.

Marik's so overrated to me, I hate that people overlook the Memory World Arc and DOMA because of him.
HienFan
said at 9:08 PM on Wed Sep 10 2014
The Odex has some really weird choices minus Ishizu who actually sounds better than the 4Kids one
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 6:39 PM on Mon Jun 24 2013
Does anyone else want to see Season 0 released on DVD? I thought that show was a lot of fun and an underrated gem when it comes to anime. Plus, it had an awesome theme song.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 1:48 PM on Thu Aug 22 2013
@PsychicVoiceSpy
I've watched it in Japanese with subtitles myself and I share your desire to see it released on DVD one day. I must say it's pretty awesome to see how sadistic Yami Yugi, and how he toys with his opponents the way he does. Seto Kaiba has his trademark green hair as well. Miho was an interesting character as well.

I always laugh at one of the episodes where Joey (aka Jounouchi) has that soda can and sprays it on the guy that was bullying Yugi. I don't know why, but I found it extremely funny. XD.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 2:02 PM on Fri Aug 23 2013
@OldSchoolFTW I also just like how it took the "game king" concept with Yami Yugi and really ran with it. Plus, it had a much greater sense of mystery to it. I wonder how Dan Green would do as the more sadistic and mysterious Yami Yugi from this show if he got the chance...
1dbad
said at 11:49 PM on Tue Aug 4 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy It didn't enjoy it as much as I did the manga version, but I would love to see a release as well, even if only a subtitled streaming one. Unfortunately I fear it's not too likely. Aside from the whole card game issue, it was also produced by a different company than the card game ones (Toei), and they seem they'd rather to forget about it after it's poor success in Japan.
CindyMad
said at 7:58 PM on Mon Nov 26 2012
I love this Yu-Gi-Oh! Great characters (Ryou Bakura is soooo cute! ^_^), I just love this show!!! I wonder if there would be a show called Yu-Gi-Oh but with real people acting and looking exacally like the characters! That would be so awesome!!!
SpongeBat1
said at 8:54 PM on Sat Jun 16 2012
Personally, I prefer the Abridged dub to the others. Believe it or not, the abridged series has a page on IMDb! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578694/
Metabad
said at 2:35 AM on Wed Sep 28 2011
Yeah, I don't like the Odex dub either, Taaz Gil seems severely miscast as Marik and Yami Marik...and is it just me, or does their recording equipment seem cheap? There's this low quality sound that is also present in their One Piece dub as will.

Say what you want about 4kids, but at least the voice cast was consistent, fit the personality of the characters and was very good for the most part.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 11:02 PM on Sun Nov 13 2011
@Metabad At least 4Kids' dub sounded, oh I dunno... PROFESSIONAL!!!

BTW, according to the ANN interview with the former Geneon CEO, Odex was charging only $2,000 per episode, which is REALLY cheap considering most anime dubs are over $10,000 per episode!
Metabad
said at 5:41 AM on Tue Nov 15 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 Exactly.

So it was that cheap, huh? Interesting tidbit of information, but then again I'm not really that surprised.
Born Today, December 5th

Panik
Yami Bakura
Mai Valentine
Yugi Muto
Mahad
Maximillion Pegasus
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters characters.
Tristan Taylor
Tristan Taylor
Tea Gardner
Tea Gardner
Marik Ishtar
Marik Ishtar
Yami Bakura
Yami Bakura
Solomon Muto
Solomon Muto
Yugi Muto
Yugi Muto
CHECK OUT ALL 21 VOICE COMPARES »
RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters style=" on Amazon.com.