Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Narrator

Comments

The Doctor
said at 9:30 AM on Thu Sep 7 2017
I'm currently watching through this show for the first time and boy does this it love to overuse "heroes get in trouble by acting foolishly" - trope.

Namor: "Alright, I'm trapped by evil supervillain who wants me dead, so better be on my guar... Oh look! A pool! A quick swim probably wouldn't hu... OH GOD, IT WAS A TRAP! WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!"

I understand that this show probably wasn't aiming to be all that ambitious and was made mostly kids in mind (and, to be fair, so far it is completely serviceable by the standards of the 80's kids shows). It's just kinda disappointing how The Incredible Hulk cartoon from the same decade, which had some of the same people working on it, still holds up pretty well and this show shares none of its sensibilities.
Starscreamsfan
said at 11:24 AM on Fri Sep 8 2017
@The Doctor The purpose of this show was more to have fun with the characters and stories, though it still has quite a bit of character developing moments.

The Hulk cartoon was aiming more for a tone similar to the 1977 live-action Hulk TV show, but more comic accurate.
EPA Deane
said at 1:49 AM on Sat Sep 9 2017
@The Doctor I'm not Really a Fan of Shows that are Reliant on 'Idiot Plots'....

I will argue that 'Ultimate Spider-Man' has it worse in that regard IMO.
Starscreamsfan
said at 5:44 AM on Sat Sep 9 2017
@EPA Deane I don't think they're idiot plots. Superhero shows can't be serious all the time. You gotta learn to have fun with the characters and sometimes accept the fact that every single TV show has to rely on tropes.

For me, this show did deliver the promise of action, fun and adventure while also adding a lot of heart to the characters, which is something that makes me enjoy it to this day.
EPA Deane
said at 10:24 AM on Sat Sep 9 2017
@Starscreamsfan I.... find an Excess of Comedy to Try My Patience.....
Starscreamsfan
said at 10:31 AM on Sat Sep 9 2017
@EPA Deane I have the same problem with drama. Excess of drama puts me to sleep, unless it's well handled.
The Doctor
said at 1:08 AM on Sun Sep 10 2017
@Starscreamsfan I'm not saying that superhero shows can't be comedic. 80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Tick (for example) were full-on comedies and great shows. But just because you are writing a comedy, doesn't excuse you from lazy writing or plot contrivances.

But, to be clear, you are making my opinion of this show sound worse than it is. I don't hate it or even dislike it. It is fun to watch an episode in the morning, before getting to work (great way to catch up some cartoons, you haven't had time to watch yet, btw.). I just don't personally like it when conflicts come from characters, who are supposed to be competant people, make stupid mistakes that no one would in real-life, no matter the genre or story medium.
The Doctor
said at 1:11 AM on Sun Sep 10 2017
@EPA Deane Oh, this show is definitely 1000 times better than Ultimate Spider-Man. At least the main characters aren't unlikeable, pacing is better and same jokes (well, except Ms. Lion's shenanigans) aren't repeated constantly.
EPA Deane
said at 1:13 AM on Sun Sep 10 2017
@Starscreamsfan I think my Issue with the Comedy in Shows like this is that I find it Excessively Vaudevillian.

I prefer My Comedy to be Subtler than This.....
Starscreamsfan
said at 6:45 AM on Sun Sep 10 2017
@The Doctor Well, it's just a matter of accepting the silliness at times.

And I don't think the writing was lazy at all, although this show did have it's share of oddball episodes (like some of the season three ones).

I was just pointing out stuff in my first comment, which was addressed to you. The other was addressed to the other user.

And yeah, it is good to watch cartoons in the morning, it kinda makes you optimistic for the rest of the day.
Starscreamsfan
said at 6:45 AM on Sun Sep 10 2017
@EPA Deane Once again, to each his own.
Shaun Ince
said at 6:41 PM on Mon Sep 4 2017
You gotta love the music that plays in the more dramatic scenes. Like the music that plays in the Red Skull clip. It makes those tense moments way more intense.
Starscreamsfan
said at 2:11 PM on Wed Sep 6 2017
@Shaun Ince Yeah, that's another one of the many things I liked about this show. The music and the performances from the actors playing the villains really sold those particular moments.
batcool
said at 5:28 PM on Sat Mar 4 2017
Remember watching this when it was on Toon Disney it was kinda cool and would be dope if they do a reboot of it with stronger writing
Zillah
said at 10:35 AM on Thu Dec 31 2015
A.K.A. Prototype Ultimate Spider-Man
Shaun Ince
said at 3:03 PM on Tue Jul 14 2015
Peter Cullen's performances in this show were definitely the highlight of this show. Mysterio & Red Skull are brilliant. It's also a good example of Cullen's range seeing as most people are more familiar with his Optimus Prime & Eeyore voices.
Starscreamsfan
said at 4:43 PM on Wed Jul 15 2015
@Shaun Ince As I said before, all the villain performers were great in this show. Cullen is no exception.

And as I mentioned in my comment below, all the villains had some of the best evil laughs I've ever heard. You can hear some of them here:

Starscreamsfan
said at 1:47 PM on Tue Mar 10 2015
Along with the 1967 Fantastic Four, the 1967 Spidey cartoons, the 1989 X-Men pilot and the 1982 Hulk cartoon, this is one of the best Marvel cartoons I've ever seen. All the stories, casting choices, voice direction and performances were perfect.

This show also gave us some of the best evil laughs ever. Whether it be Dennis Marks with his Green Goblin's cackle or Hans Conried's delightful Captain Hook laugh for the Chameleon, every villain was excellently portrayed.

Also, the use of radio veterans like Hans Conried, Shepard Menken, Michael Rye and June Foray was a great addition to this show (and something the solo cartoon really lacked). Also, you get stage veteran William Marshall, who had one of the most awesome deep voices I've ever heard, as the Juggernaut and Tony Stark.

It saddens me that this show, along with the others I've mentioned above, is becoming extremely underrated. I mean, come on guys. Old people know a lot more than us, and that makes us respect them. Why can't we respect old TV shows???

Anyway, this show was one of the best Marvel ever did.
EPA Deane
said at 7:02 AM on Wed Nov 23 2016
@Starscreamsfan "Why can't we respect old tv shows???"

Possibly because they can feel dated, be it from writing, animation or Voice Acting standards.

Lack of personal connections to older shows can also play a factor.

For Example, I prefer later versions of Scooby Doo (in particular 'What's New Scooby Doo') partly because I find Daphne to be less of a flaccid damsel in distress than she was in the original Hanna Barberra cartoons. That and there was less distracting recycled animation footage.

That's the best explanation I can think of.
Starscreamsfan
said at 4:48 PM on Wed Dec 7 2016
@EPA Deane Animation, yes. However, I honestly think the writing in this show was really good. Really witty old timey writing which calls back to the old radio days.

Plus, the actors are really having a blast doing all these quirky and fun performances. I have seen shows that have dated badly (the 1978 Fantastic Four cartoon), but this one is not one of them. I really think this show is still fun to this day.
EPA Deane
said at 2:31 PM on Sat Dec 10 2016
@Starscreamsfan 'Quirky and fun performance's' can sometimes be ill fitting for specific characters (Australian Wolverine voices? REALLY?).

'Old Timey Writing' can also lead to flat characterisation and a lack of subtlety (There's a reason why I preferred Hordak to Skeletor as a main villain).
Starscreamsfan
said at 4:58 PM on Sat Dec 10 2016
@EPA Deane Well, I really prefer to hear performers having fun and really getting into the character (Hans Conried's Chameleon, Michael Rye's Magneto and Shepard Menken's Dr. Doom are perfect examples of that).

And seriously, you need to listen to more radio shows.

Wit and sense of humor is something that is constantly getting lost in TV shows nowadays, which is why I don't watch a lot of TV as of now.
EPA Deane
said at 11:18 AM on Sun Dec 11 2016
@Starscreamsfan I'm partial to Agatha Christie and Francis Durbridge radio dramatisations actually.

The UK doesn't have that many Superhero Radio Serials.
Starscreamsfan
said at 5:51 PM on Sun Dec 11 2016
@EPA Deane Well, if you want a recommendation, check the 1940s Superman radio show. It has great acting and really good writing (the Atom Man saga is really engaging).
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016
Captain America / Steve Rogers
Spider-Man / Peter Parker
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends characters.
Hulk