Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

Japan Premiere: Oct 13, 2006

Episodes: 1

Animation Studio: OLM

Popularity: 692nd All Time, 704th This Week

Franchise: Pokemon
Has two English dubs (both released in 2006):
The original was produced for KidsWB and featured Kayzie Rogers as Ash Ketchum.
The second was a redub done as an extra feature for the "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" DVD with an updated cast featuring Sarah Natochenny as Ash.
Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

The Cast

Narrator

Comments

yugimon135
said at 1:37 PM on Mon Dec 14 2015
Is Eric's Squrtle voice from the 4kids recording or somewhere else? Because why did he voice Squrtle when he did not voice Brock.
rosebr10
said at 9:19 PM on Mon Dec 14 2015
@yugimon135
Recycled audio. For the first two seasons after 4Kids' license lapsed, production returned to where it had originated: TAJ Productions. This allowed for use of a pre-existing library of Pokemon creature voices, so even though the cast changed, this is why some Pokemon sounded the same for a bit. This was a handy way of keeping recording costs low, saving it for the major recurring Pokemon held by the main cast and newer Pokemon types. That said, May's Squirtle is an interesting exception in that Michele Knotz did wind up voicing it later on in the season despite previously falling back on Stuart.

Once Season 11 (2nd Diamond and Pearl season) came around, production transferred to DuArt Film and Video, where it has remained ever since. With greater reserves to draw from, they ditched the archive audio entirely.
Savate
said at 5:23 AM on Sun Aug 10 2014
This is pretty much when Pokemon really began to go downhill for me, tbh.

That said, I actually like Sarah's Ash here more than I did in DP or I do in XY (she's gotten a lot more gruffy/gravelly over the years, and I'm not a fan of that at all), Bill's Brock sounds better here than it does in DP (yes, even in the first dub of this special, and he was really bad in that), and all of TR sounds better here than in XY as well.

Dr. Yung was probably the highlight of this special, though: interesting villain, to say the least. Shame he killed himself off, though...
HienFan
said at 8:06 PM on Sat May 3 2014
On the good side Rodger Parsons returned as the narrator

But eh I like the redub of this short better than the first time, Sarah is a lot better than Kayzie if you ask me
HienFan
said at 11:01 PM on Wed Apr 1 2015
@HienFan Rewatched the show, from what little I saw of the original pitch, the voices were soooo bad and not just Ash, it's a good thing they retouched the DVD voices
Torak
said at 12:29 PM on Fri Jul 19 2013
This comment will probably be deleted but... this had some of the most awful acting in any Pokemon Media I've ever heard in the English dub
(excluding Brock, Misty and Rodger Parsons.)

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. No offense meant to all the actors.
Fulgore2005
said at 6:44 AM on Thu Aug 8 2013
@Torak Don't worry too much about it. A lot of people disliked the dub of this special.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 4:32 PM on Tue Aug 20 2013
@Fulgore2005
I will admit that the re-dubbed version is a bit better, but regardless it was pretty horribly dubbed either way.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 10:35 AM on Wed Oct 9 2013
@Torak Aside from Misty, Brock (in the redub), and the Narrator, I thought Jimmy Zoppi performed better as Oak in this special than he did for the rest of the series, and Dr Yung/Mirage Master's voice performance was AWESOME. Everyone else...yeah, they sucked.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 2:14 AM on Thu Oct 10 2013
@Galactic_Cyrus
Exactly right. What's sad is that this special's plot was great itself, but the debut of the TPCi dub here really made me detest it when it first aired. It's an okay special, but it was a bit over the top, writing wise. It was cool to hear the AG JPN BGM in the dub (didn't happen much after that), and I liked Misty, Brock (Bill's 2nd take in the redub), and the Narrator's voices. Prof Oak was decent, and Dr. Yung hands-down was the best voice in the dub. The rest, though, were very poor.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 8:15 AM on Thu Oct 10 2013
@OldSchoolFTW Exactly. Y'know for a long while, I imagined Bill Timoney's Yung voice for Colress. Now I can't choose between that and Eli James' take for the character.
OldSchoolFTW
said at 1:54 PM on Thu Oct 10 2013
@Galactic_Cyrus
I think both would fit Colress, but Eli James' take was excellent for my tastes.
MatthewC17
said at 3:34 PM on Fri Aug 21 2015
@OldSchoolFTW The only good voice Bill did in the original dubbing was Combusken's even though for Battle Frontier he changed the voice.
Fulgore2005
said at 10:10 AM on Tue Aug 14 2012
The Mirage Pokemon story was no doubt interesting, but I seriously think this needs a redub.
Dr. Yung
Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
Ash Ketchum
Ash Ketchum

Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon characters.

RELATED ITEMS
Search for "Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon style=" on Amazon.com.