Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn

• Rebroadcast and split into 22 episodes as Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn

The Cast

Comments

Omar_Lopez
said at 9:16 AM on Mon Jun 6 2016
I'm not a huge Gundam fan; like Star Trek I suppose it's one of those franchises that seems a bit overwhelming and too time consuming to invest in but I do respect it and keep my eye on it (it is after all a notable and well known franchise in anime history) Maybe someday when I start to run out of new things to watch I'll marathon everything Gundam.

I'm curious if anyone has noticed any new additions yet for the retelling RE:0096?

I'm aware it's basically chopping up the 7 long OVA episodes (and kind of ruining the pacing and some jarring editing) but there is supposed to be some new scenes. I'm hoping some fan eventually makes a comparison of all the changes; I really like reading kind of stuff, but maybe it's still too early and the new scenes will be inserted near the middle or end of the airing.

Kind of crazy how a few years ago after Bandai closed it seemed like Gundam was finished in the West. Now this year there's Iron-Blooded Orphans, Thunderbolt, The Origin and RE:0096 (and all 4 are dubbed). Must be a great time to be a Gundam fan.

Wonder if Ocean Group will get another chance someday on a new show. A Texas dub would be interesting too. One major complaint I've read is that since atm all new Gundam dubs are done in California (and partially New York) there isn't much variety in casting
AntiSabat666
said at 11:29 AM on Wed Jul 27 2016
@Omar_Lopez "Variety" means little if said variety makes a dub bad.

Ocean dubs are NOTORIOUS for their inconsistency. Whilst LA dubs are usually solid with sucky here and there, but not to the extreme of Ocean.

Texas dubs are also iffy. Sentai dubs are exclusively bad, whilst Funimation is good, though.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 9:49 PM on Fri Jul 29 2016
@AntiSabat666 If Ocean dubs are so "notoriously" inconsistent, it seems strange that the general reception of their work is fairly positive regardless, and the Parasyte dub flies into your theory that Sentai dubs are "exclusively bad".

A reminder that it's not polite to shove your opinions into other peoples' faces as if it was objective fact.
AntiSabat666
said at 5:27 AM on Sun Jul 31 2016
@CatsTuxedo What about Blue Water dubs? Yes, BW count as Ocean dubs. Those dubs are considered universally bad.

As for their Vancouver studio, yes they have made good/great dubs like Black Lagoon and Death Note, as well as Char's Counterattack and First Gundam, but DBZ, Escaflowne, Gundam 00 and some others aren't so good. Because of the extreme nature of Ocean, they either have solid dubs or really poor dubs.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 9:35 PM on Sun Jul 31 2016
@AntiSabat666 The Calgary talent pool has improved in recent years if their Cardfight dubs and collaborations with the Vancouver players are anything to go off of, and all those "bad" dubs you listed have their fanbases regardless (I pity you if you stray into a DBZ forum), so they can't be considered bad by a universally objective standard.
Autovolt
said at 7:09 AM on Sun Sep 6 2015
I finally saw Gundam Unicorn at long last and what can I say...after being exhausted with watching Zeta and ZZ and very much hated Char's Counterattack, Unicorn was a breath of fresh air.

and the dub is just as awesome as I expected. Michael Sinterniklaas continues to show why he's one of the best ADR director's in the industry. I'll admit some of the casting took getting used to like Christopher Smith as Bright Noa and Kevin T. Collins as Kai Shiden but I feel they will get better so long as they get more chances to voice them in the future, like a remake of 0079 perhaps?
Shaun Ince
said at 7:49 PM on Fri Apr 10 2015
Nice to see Schemmel with fellow LA actors. Seeing as he's in LA now, hopefully we'll see more of this.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 10:49 AM on Sat Apr 11 2015
@Shaun Ince This dub was done by NYAV Post, which is a joint effort between LA and NY VAs. As far as we know, he's still based in NY.
said at 11:26 AM on Sat Apr 11 2015
@CatsTuxedo Schemmel made the jump to California a while ago.

Autovolt
said at 6:30 AM on Mon Feb 23 2015
I'm glad to finally see Gundam Unicorn on the site at long last.

I haven't actually seen the show but I can tell this was an amazing dub because of Michael Sinterniklaas.
Fulgore2005
said at 2:24 AM on Mon Feb 23 2015
The combined efforts of both the NY and the LA VAs were tremendous.

Michael Sinterniklaas has done a fantastic job with the dub.
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016