Browse TV Shows

US Home Media Release Date: 2016
Japan First Aired Release Date: October 02, 2011
Japan Last Aired: September 23, 2014

Seasons: 6
Episodes: 148

Franchise: Hunter x Hunter
SELECT VIEW: [ Characters ]  [ Characters / Voice Actors ]  [ Voice Cast ]  [ Credits ]

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Latest Comments

said at 3:09 PM on Mon Oct 12 2015
 4 Shout Outs! [?]
I really want this dub goes to Ocean so that they can get consistent and steady anime work again, and so that some of the Blue Water actors can return and improve on their work. Not getting my hopes up, but that would be great to see.

Although the inner pessimist in me is thinking this will go to L.A. and while there's nothing inherently wrong with that and it'd probably be well acted either way...they're getting enough work as is, and it'll just kill all of my interest in the dub just hearing the same generic voices over and over again. I want to be excited for a dub again, dagnabbit!

So yeah, lots of things are getting in the way of my excitement for this, but the one good thing I can say is that at least this isn't going to Funimation.
said at 12:58 PM on Mon Oct 12 2015
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Ok I still have not seen the show yet, I plan to early next year. I've heard nothing but good things about it and so many options to where they could record this dub.

You know my answer is an Ocean/Blue Water mix, and obviously Brendan Hunter reprising Hisoka. Though i'd be alright with an LA dub provided the casting is fitting.
said at 6:31 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
Here's a question? Is HXH 2011 going to be a Union Anime or a Non-Union Anime, cuz I want this project to be Union so Crispin Freeman could voice either Kite, Hisoka or Chrollo Lucilfer.
said at 11:45 AM on Sat Oct 10 2015
So Brendan Hunter, who voiced Hisoka in the 99 series dub, commented he wants to reprise the role on Viz's Facebook:{%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

The dub's probably already in production so I doubt it'll happen, but I did find it interesting nonetheless.
said at 8:52 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
Honestly, that's kind of a relief. Maybe is not fair of me to say since I only watched a little bit of it, but the old dub....wasn't too good.
said at 9:55 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
@BlueHeracross As someone who has heard most of the series' major voices from the old dub, I would say that yes, the dub was pretty weak overall (with a few decent performances here and there). However, the talent from Calgary who worked on the dub have proven themselves to be very solid performers in their video game work, and some of their recent anime work sounds much better than their dub for Hunter x Hunter 1999.

A lot of what really brought down that dub was most likely due to bad casting decisions and poor direction.

Brendan Hunter as Hisoka, however, was not one of those weaknesses.

I've seen most of his work from that dub, and despite the poor direction, he managed to give a decent performance most of the time, and in some scenes I would even go as far to say (in complete seriousness) that he gave some line deliveries that were about on par with Daisuke Namikawa. Plus, his voice for the character is a great fit. If he got to reprise with better direction, I guarantee you he'd impress.

He's also really enthusiastic about the character, and he's done the voice several times in YouTube videos where he sounds better than he did in the anime. Out of all the actors from the 1999 dub, he's the one I'm desperately hoping gets to reprise. I honestly can't think of anyone else I'd rather have voice Hisoka over Brendan Hunter.
said at 1:44 AM on Mon Oct 12 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy In all honesty Hunter should voice Pariston Hill. That way he can be voiced the Hisoka in the 99 anime in both the English and Japanese version. Plus I kinda feel like he'd fit better for Pariston Hill than Hisoka anyway.
said at 8:15 AM on Mon Oct 12 2015
@Ichigo341578926 While that would probably work well, there's no obligation to cast Hisoka's 1999 English VA as Pariston just because it's that way in Japanese.

As for your second point, I disagree. Brendan has a deeper voice than the 1999 seiyuu that's a little closer to Namikawa anyway, and I've heard him lower his voice and sound more menacing at points throughout the 1999 dub and on YouTube when doing the voice and he's a darn good fit for the character. For Pariston, his voice might be a little too low.

I personally imagine someone like Brad Swaile voicing Pariston.
said at 8:28 AM on Mon Oct 12 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy Well having listened to his voice more recently (as of a few minutes ago) I can kinda see what you mean about it being to deep. But lets face it if he doesn't voice Hisoka it's still very likely that he could be in the dub as a different character. Mainly due to the fact that there's a good chance that they had already casted Hisoka before Viz announced that they had the license.
said at 1:00 PM on Mon Oct 12 2015
@Ichigo341578926 You know I could see that happening, though I agree with PsychicVoiceSpy that Brendan Hunter IS Hisoka.

I haven't seen the series yet but even I know that. With that said Brendan is versatile enough, he could voice both roles.
said at 7:09 PM on Mon Oct 12 2015
@BlueHeracross True, but Brendan's a separate case. He was like one of the few highlights that even poor voice direction couldn't pull the curtains on. And I really do love it when a voice actor has a special attachment to one of their characters like he does.
said at 12:05 PM on Fri Oct 9 2015
 4 Shout Outs! [?]
Finally! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
said at 4:27 PM on Fri Oct 9 2015
@BioZero216 Thank U Thank U Thank U Thank U Thaaaaank UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
said at 11:04 AM on Fri Oct 9 2015
 4 Shout Outs! [?]
said at 12:27 PM on Fri Oct 9 2015
@Ichigo341578926 I'm so excited! I do hope they dub it here in the states though, unless they get a better Canadian voice director this time.
said at 9:40 PM on Fri Oct 9 2015
@1dbad I highly doubt the new HunterxHunter series will be dubbed in Canada, they could pull a "Sailor Moon" on this one and dubbed the series in Los Angeles instead.
said at 11:41 AM on Sat Oct 10 2015
@DisneyAnimefan1995 I'm not expecting it either, but stranger things have happened. I'm guessing it'll be an LA dub too. Maybe a Bang Zoom one?
said at 10:13 AM on Sun Oct 11 2015
@1dbad Depends on which LA recording studio Viz Media is going to send it to. It could be Studiopolis, which has been Viz's most recurring recording since about 2005 and dubbed some of their Popular titles they licensed (e.g. Naruto, Bleach Sailor Moon, etc..) or more recently Bang Zoom! Entertainment which they used since about late 2011 early-to-mid 2012 after the closure on Bandai Entertainment.

But hey whichever Recording Studio Viz is going the send for the HunterxHunter dub I'll be looking forward to it.
said at 12:47 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
@1dbad What about MB VoiceWorks or NYAV Post Viz should at least tried those two studio.
said at 1:01 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
@DisneyAnimefan1995 Only things making me think it might be Bang Zoom is 1. Justin Sevakis hinted a little while ago at working on a project for Viz that would be announced "soon," and he only deals with the shows Bang Zoom has done post production for. If said project is Hunter x Hunter, then it'll be a Bang Zoom dub. 2. With Studiopolis already doing two long running shows for them (Naruto, Sailor Moon) Viz may give to Bang Zoom to lighten the load a bit.

But these speculations could be wrong and it could be Studiopolis after all. I don't really care which studio gets it since I'm sure it'll be good either way. :)
said at 1:03 PM on Sun Oct 11 2015
@dcmarvelanime From my understanding Viz mainly uses Ocean Studios in Canada (not so much anymore), or Studiopolis or Bang Zoom in LA. I'm guessing it's more likely they'll send it to one of those, but you never know I suppose.
said at 5:50 PM on Sat Jul 4 2015
Another year, another AX. Still no HxH announcement ._.
said at 10:12 PM on Sun May 31 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy Perhaps Media Blasters, bought the rights and there recording at MB VoiceWorks.
said at 8:50 PM on Sun May 31 2015
I for one found this show to be one of if not the most disappointing shows I've ever watched. The animation and music are great but that's about it.
said at 9:30 PM on Sat May 9 2015
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
I wouldn't mind that Ocean Studios (A Canadian dub) would pick up a 2011 made Hunter x Hunter if they could decide. But hey, who knows?
said at 10:28 AM on Tue Mar 31 2015
They're never going to dub this show, are they?
said at 2:52 PM on Tue Mar 31 2015
@BioZero216 I'm cautiously optimistic about it. It hasn't even been a year since the show ended in Japan and it still has an active fanbase. It's taken longer than this for some anime to get brought over, so while it's not getting here super quickly, there's not a whole lot of reason to worry just yet, IMO.
said at 3:16 PM on Tue Mar 31 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy I hope you're right.
said at 9:51 PM on Sun Jul 19 2015
@BioZero216 Could be for a few reasons

1) It's unfinished and it's unknown if Togashi will ever get back into it due to his frequent hiatuses (Japanese bookstores are already fed up with it and want to take it off their shelves) so maybe thats a turn off

2) Funimation or Aniplex want to focus on their "flavor of the year" anime (Attack on Titan, SAO)

Anyways, I could live without a dub as long as it's completed because it's simply too wonderful to be left incomplete. If it does get dubbed I hope Funimation pick it up cause they're the best at it imo.
said at 12:38 AM on Sat Mar 7 2015
 1 Shout Out! [?]
I finished this around a month ago, and I absolutely loved it. It was so good that I decided to select it as my #1 favorite show. That's kind of a big deal in my book since I've been on the site for two years and in all that time I've never been able to make a choice on what show deserved that spot. It's an excellent series with beautiful animation, memorable and endearing characters, and a story that consistently stayed fresh and creative and could be both tense and dark as well as light-hearted and adventurous.

I want someone to license this show and bring it over here already! When they do, I'll buy the crap out of it! Whoever dubs it had better do the show and its characters justice, or else I'll be very, VERY ticked off... but I'll still buy the show regardless of how the dub turns out. The show's original Japanese cast was absolutely stunning, so if the dub comes out and it's mediocre then I'll have no problem rewatching it in Japanese again and again.

For those of you reading this who haven't given this franchise a look, I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out when you have the chance. In my opinion, this anime deserves more attention than it gets and I would love for more people to experience the joy this show has given me.
said at 5:03 AM on Wed Apr 22 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy You said you wanted Ocean to dub this, right? So do I. I'd like to see Saffron Henderson as Gon, Cathy Weseluck as Killua, Trevor Devall as Hisoka, French Tickner, Richard Newman or Ron Halder as Netero, Brian Drummond as Meruem, Michael Daingerfield as Kite, Shannon Chan Kent as Neferpitou, Soctt McNeil as Ging. Anyone else you have in mind?
said at 9:59 AM on Wed Apr 22 2015
@BioZero216 Those are some awesome casting ideas you have there! Actually, I haven't thought all that far ahead with casting ideas, in fact, I'm pretty terrible at coming up with dreamcasts. If I ever do think of some casting ideas, I'll put them in the Hunter X Hunter dreamcast thread in the forums.

However, there's a video link in the Tien voice compare where Brendan Hunter said that he's going to reprise Tien in the Ocean dub of Kai. If he's really doing some work with Ocean now, that means that he could possibly reprise Hisoka if they dub this. I am absolutely, 100% all for that.
said at 1:30 AM on Fri Jan 16 2015
I just finished the Chimera Ant arc recently, and... that was something... that was REALLY something. This is such a bold, unpredictable, and powerful show. The way that arc ended was so beautiful, tragic and poignant. What surprised me the most is that in the end it was like the villain's character development had came full circle and he found inner peace while the main character pretty much completely unraveled and is at the lowest point in his life. I mean, the heroes won, and yet they also lost, and the villain lost, but he also won, in a bittersweet kind of way.

How many shows have moments like that? It was so... WOW. For a shonen anime, this was a really, REALLY deep arc with a lot of themes and emotional conflict, and the fact that it managed to defy so many of my expectations without feeling like it was trying desperately hard to be different and ending up being contrived truly earned my respect. I was very shocked by how dark and unforgiving it was. I also didn't expect nearly the level of violence and death in this show, but it doesn't pull any punches, and it got to the point where I downright FEARED seeing what would happen next because I was afraid for the characters.

I think if I keep writing this is just going to devolve into unfocused rambling, but after finishing that arc I had so many thoughts and emotions going through my head. I HAD to let them out, and also give this story my respect. I'm in love with this story, its characters, its sometimes lovably warped sense of humor, and all of the imagination put into it.

I sure can't wait until I finish the show and get mildly depressed and not get to see anything more come of it for years because of the manga's crazy hiatuses! *falls on the floor and starts sobbing*
said at 10:44 AM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy I have some more cast choices. Andrew Kavadas as Ging, instead. Ashleigh Ball as Kurapika, Richard Ian Cox as Feitan, Janyse Jaud as Zazan, Kirby Morrow as Chrollo, Paul Dobson as Jed, Scott McNeil as Uvogin. What do you think?
said at 2:05 PM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@BioZero216 I'm not sure about Andrew Kavadas as Ging. I vaguely remember his character form Death Note, but not the voice, and his two clips here on the site don't sound very close to how I imagine Ging to sound. I don't know, I just don't have much of an opinion to offer on this one. Maybe if he had more clips I would agree, but so far I just don't hear it.

Most of the others are impeccable choices that I have no issues with at all. I do have to say that Scott McNeil as Uvogin sounds even better than him being Ging, even though he could do either character well. I also haven't seen much of the second HxH film, so I don't know much about the character 'Jed', but Paul Dobson still sounds like an excellent choice.

Here's one of the only places where my opinion diverges, so please hear me out. Personally, I would swap Ashleigh Ball and Cathy Weseluck. Cathy Weseluck's performance as Near comes FRIGHTENINGLY CLOSE to how I imagine Kurapika sounding in English. The way she speaks her lines so deliberately and gives Near an air of intelligence, the pitch, EVERYTHING comes really close to how I'd like Kurapika to sound. Killua, however, I can't quite hear her as, at least not nearly as much as I can with Kurapika.

From her clips here on the site, Ashleigh Ball sounds like she's played characters that have a similar amount of energy and mischievousness as Killua is shown to have in the light-hearted moments. Her clips show an impressive amount of range, so I think she could find a great voice for him. Personally, I can hear more potential for Killua in her voice.

That's my two cents.
said at 6:54 PM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy Hm. Maybe Eli Gabey or Michael Dobson as Ging? Ashleigh Ball's Hansel voice would fit Killua quite well and if Cathy Weseluck somewhat lightens her voice, I could see her as Kurapika. Seeing as RIC is pretty much the Canadian Kappei Yamaguchi, he'd be a great Keitan. Janyse Jaud's beautiful voice would be perfect for Zazan. Also, I picked Paul Dobson as Jed just from his design alone. I take one look at those evil eyes and I instantly think Paul Dobson. IMHO, no Canadian VA can do villain voices like that man.
said at 6:56 PM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@PsychicVoiceSpy Also, maybe Brian Dobson as Ging. I'd like to see that.
said at 8:39 PM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@BioZero216 Yeah, I think Janyse Jaud's Margery Daw voice in particular would be a great fit for Zazan. It'd be really close to that haughty sound the original Japanese actress had.

Also, I think if Michael Adamthwaite used a slightly deeper, gruffer voice than usual, he'd also make a really good Ging. His performance as No Name/Nanashi from Sword of the Stranger already comes pretty close to Ging's laid-back, blunt attitude, while still being pretty charming.
said at 8:41 PM on Wed Apr 29 2015
@BioZero216 Also, maybe we should continue this conversation in the visitor messages section on our forum profiles. I'm really enjoying the conversation, but it's starting to take up quite a bit of space here.
said at 2:04 PM on Sat Dec 27 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Loved Junko Iwao as Kikyo Zoldyck.
said at 3:03 AM on Tue May 20 2014
I think this should be dubbed in LA! Crispin Freeman as Phinks, anyone?
said at 1:23 AM on Sun Jan 27 2013
 5 Shout Outs! [?]
This needs to be released in the US... like, REALLY bad!
said at 5:15 PM on Sun Dec 14 2014
@PurpleWarrior13 Oh man, I totally agree. I just got finished watching the Greed Island arc, and I love it! I might have to start collecting the manga for now.
said at 7:12 PM on Thu Jun 21 2012
the cast for the Phantom Troupe for the upcoming York shin (york new) arc has been revealed. there actors are

Mamoru Miyano as Chrollo

Noriko Hidaka as Shalnark

Naoya Uchida as Nobunaga

Romi Park as Pakunoda

Hidenobu Kiuchi as Franklin

Kenn as Phinks

Akio Ohtsuka as Uvogin

Kappei Yamaguchi as Feitan
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 3:51 PM on Mon Jun 25 2012

Already knew since I read stuff on the internet too but thanks. :)

I'll add them when the characters actually appear in the episodes.
said at 10:49 PM on Wed Jun 27 2012
@Jackson_H lol alright then, the info is for everyone excluding Jackson and the people who already know. :D
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:44 AM on Sun Jul 29 2012
All added now!

Kortopi and Bonolenov will be added when they actually talk and their VAs are known. :)
said at 11:10 PM on Fri Aug 3 2012
@Jackson_H yay lol, for Kortopi, her voice should be coming up sometime in this arc(at least i think so), for Bonolenov i don't think he said a word up until the Chimera arc :P
said at 11:11 PM on Fri Aug 3 2012
@Jackson_H *his voice, i forgot Kortopi is a dude :P
said at 7:10 PM on Thu Jun 21 2012
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Great series,definitely worth checking out, if not of the hiatuses the manga would definitely be more popular than it truly is. it's great that they decided to reboot the series. HxH Forever!

#1 favorite TV Show
for 6 members.

A favorite TV Show
for 45 members.

"Their power's are awesome"

- ariamenon13