Browse TV Shows

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Latest Comments

Metabad
said at 11:13 AM on Tue Jun 12 2012
Well I'm currently watching the first episode of Hunter x Hunter, and I gotta admit, I'm REALLY liking Adam Hunter's performance as Kite!
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 6:16 PM on Wed Jun 6 2012
Ok I'm not the biggest fan of the Blue Water talent pool but I'll at least defend them a bit here for Hunter x Hunter. :)

I had very low expectations before I even starting watching. A few episodes in, my assessment was somewhat correct.

Some rough acting here and there and voices that weren't exactly how I imagined they'd sound when I read the manga (or similar sounding to my FUNi dub fantasy cast).

HOWEVER, it did improve as it went along. I noticed a vast improvement for the batch of episodes Karl Willems directed. For those of you who don't know he's arguably one of the best voice directors in Vancouver (Ocean Productions) directing the dubs for anime like Death Note, InuYasha and the Galaxy 999 movies in addition to some cartoons like Iron Man: Armored Adventures and X-Men: Evolution.

If Funimation does pick up the 2011 HxH like everyone thinks they will I have no doubt overall I'll prefer the new dub.

However when I make the Voice Compares I actually don't think my personal favorite voice for some characters will automatically be the FUNi VA.

IMO these are the standout voices in the Blue Water dub of Hunter x Hunter:

- Brendan Hunter as Hisoka (probably the best performance in this dub)

- Annika Odegard as Killua (far surpassed my expectations, she actually sounded like a real boy! Not an actresses trying to sound like a boy)

- Jonathan Love as Leorio (sounds similar to my FUNi fantasy casting pick of Brandon Potter)

- Glenn Howard as Silva (voice sounded pretty awesome)

- Gerald Matthews as Tonpa (sounded exactly like I thought Tonpa would sound in English)

- Carol Anne Day as Menchi (like PurpleWarrior said, she's one of the best in the BW talent pool)

- Roger Rhodes as Wing (quite possibly the best performance I've ever heard from him)

- Mike Shepherd as Satotz (very enjoyable performance)

- Lucas Gilbertson as Hanzo (very entertaining performance, sounded like he had a lot of fun voicing this character and it showed)

- Ben Jeffrey as Ging (small role but I thought it was a good fit)

Now just because I didn't mention others doesn't make them automatically bad, in fact some are pretty good, but they're not voices I'm super attached to like the VAs I mentioned.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:41 PM on Tue Jun 12 2012
@Jackson_H That's a pretty fair assessment. I've actually never seen Hunter X Hunter, but it's good to know that the English dub isn't a total train wreck, like I've heard (my main reason for shying away from it). I may actually check it out, and give the voices a fair chance. Hey, at least the series actually got a legitimate English dub (even if it only covered the main series, and not the sequel OVA)! Here's hoping the new series gets picked up too!
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 11:39 AM on Thu Dec 6 2012
@Jackson_H Karl Willems is a great director. Karl's work on Death Note was remarkable. The dubs of the first three Dragonball Z Films(Dead Zone,The World's Strongest & Tree of Might) still hold up quite well today. Karl was responsible for some of the best English Dubs of the 90's in anime during a period of time when many dubs simply weren't that polished. Its a real shame that Ocean Productions isn't getting more anime to work on outside of InuYasha: The Final Act and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail. The Final Act is more a less done and from what I've heard production on the dub for Roberta's Blood Trail has been underway for some time now. Who knows when we will see Ocean's Kai dub come out its been ages since any news was released about it. I wish Aniplex would outsource some of there dubs to Ocean but that simply won't be happening. Ocean has been working on a ton of original Marvel animation projects over the last few years so I suppose that is keeping them alive and kicking. Hopefully Viz will outsource more projects to Ocean in the future only time will tell.
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 10:40 AM on Fri May 25 2012
Its hard to believe that an English Dub could be so horrendous in this current age where a majority of English Dubs are very well made but English Dub of Hunter x Hunter was terrible and all the voice actors lacked any passion or emotion in their performances they all end up sounding so stiff and amateurish.Its a shame the dub didn't turn out so well if it was given to Funimation it would been a vastly different story.
SecretJustin1130
said at 10:08 PM on Sun Jun 3 2012
@IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE

That's Blue Water Studios for ya! They really suck at what they do. If I were them I'd hire Mike McFarland to direct their dubs & teach these voice actors how to act in anime!!
Fulgore2005
said at 2:06 PM on Mon Jun 4 2012
@SecretJustin1130

Oh yes. Any dubs from the following will be (IMO) bad: Blue Water, Big Green, Boys and Girls, Malaysian English dubs and Odex/Singapore dubs.
said at 3:58 PM on Mon Jun 4 2012
Blue Water's work on the Mega Man series was pretty good (especially the performances of Mark Gatha and Lucas Gilbertson), but their anime dubs aren't that great from what I've heard. Blue Water is the studio that Ocean uses to save on budget, which explains why the quality of their work isn't always the best.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 3:00 AM on Tue Jun 5 2012
@NCZ It's a shame that they're actually getting more anime work these days than Vancouver is. Pretty Cure, Deltora Quest, Valguard, and Hunter X Hunter have all been dubbed in Calgary in place of Vancouver (who's only recent anime dub is Inuyasha: The Final Act), unlike the mid-90s where about 75% of all anime English dubs were done in Vancouver.

I can't believe anyone possibly let their Deltora Quest dub be broadcast on national TV. It was that horrible. The only decent voice actor in Calgary is Carol Anne Day.
Metabad
said at 8:55 PM on Tue Jun 5 2012
@SecretJustin1130 Well that's not really fair to say, sure their anime dubs aren't great but Blue Water has had some great voice actors work for them on their Megaman dubs like Dave Pettitt, Mark Gatha, Lucas Gilbertson, Roger Rhodes.

If you think they completely suck, give their Megaman dubs a listen to, they're much better than the X4 and X7 voice cast, that's for sure.
Metabad
said at 8:56 PM on Tue Jun 5 2012
@Fulgore2005 I agree about the rest of the companies that you've listed, but again, Blue Water's video game dubs for the most part are really good.
Metabad
said at 8:56 PM on Tue Jun 5 2012
@NCZ Agreed!
Metabad
said at 8:58 PM on Tue Jun 5 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 There are some other good ones like Dave Pettitt and Roger Rhodes, though yeah there are some pretty bad ones, mostly in their anime dubs...but their video game dubs are really good!

I do hope Ocean gets more work in the future though, they made and dubbed a lot of shows I watched in my childhood and teenage years.
Fulgore2005
said at 4:32 AM on Fri Apr 12 2013
@Fulgore2005 Now, I'm willing to take back about Blue Water. I like them now that I've played their Gundam and Megaman work.

A favorite TV Show
for 10 members.
Latest Reason:

"It dispays almost every type of ass. Badass, jackass, *******, smartass, ect. Or in other words, its plain awesome"

- Oniurufu