Ghost in the Shell: Arise

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Comments

SNaG
said at 10:45 PM on Thu Oct 13 2016
I watched SAC and the original movies in the original Japanese audio, and when I began to see Arise, the voice actors were jarring. Not because they were different, mind you, but because they sounded very similar.

All of the Japanese VAs, with the sole exception of Maaya Sakamoto as Motoko, sounded like they were doing impressions of the original cast, which is dumb IMO.

At least in the dub, the performances are similar enough to stay true to the character (based on what I heard in trailers and clips) and different enough that the actors own the role. Definitely gonna watch this dubbed, though hearing Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as someone who isn't Motoko will be a tad strange.
BCHolbrook
said at 11:37 AM on Mon Aug 18 2014
Chris Sabat is Batou! F***ing CALLED IT! :D
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 2:40 PM on Sat Aug 9 2014
I've always been interested in knowing how Christopher Sabat would sound as Batou. Hm... if he does well I might end up liking him more than Richard Epcar.
VocalChameleon
said at 1:53 PM on Sat Aug 9 2014
Okay, I'm disappointed. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's going to be in this dub, but NOT AS MATOKO KUSANAGI! That is FAIL!!

Ah, well, I'll still check it out, if only to hear how Elizabeth Maxwell does in the role.
Serfi3289
said at 8:32 PM on Tue Aug 12 2014
@VocalChameleon well Arise is a prequel for ghost in the shell like how Maaya Sakamoto is voicing Motoko instead of Atsuko Tanaka
VocalChameleon
said at 1:41 PM on Wed Aug 13 2014
@Serfi3289 Well, I guess that last comment was just me wanting to hear Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in the role again. It wasn't really fair of me, and I apologize.

I'm still willing to give the new voices a shot. They all sound like great choices for the characters, especially Alex Organ as Togusa. After hearing him as Shogo Makishima in "Psycho-Pass" I think he'll be able to do Togusa justice.
Serfi3289
said at 4:13 PM on Wed Aug 13 2014
@VocalChameleon dont even worry about it Mary's in Arise just not as the major
VocalChameleon
said at 4:56 PM on Wed Aug 13 2014
@Serfi3289 I know. I just thought it was a little weird that she wouldn't be the Major again, that's all. Bringing her to Texas only to have her not play a character she's already played seems strange to me.

I think it's because I'm used to characters being voiced by certain characters, and Mary was the best voice for the Major I've heard. I know I should give Elizabeth a chance.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 1:19 PM on Sat Aug 9 2014
While I'd like to hear the original cast back, I do think the choices here are pretty good. At the very least, the cast looks like it has a lot of thought put into it. I'm curious to hear how they sound!
lazydude500
said at 11:17 AM on Tue May 13 2014
Prepare for a sh*t storm anime fans. Funimation confirms a new English cast

"Following in the footsteps of the Japanese release, a brand new cast has been chosen to voice the younger characters featured in Ghost in the Shell: Arise. Casting should be finalized in the next few weeks, with a cast announcement scheduled shortly thereafter."

I fully expect Mike McFarland to be the ADR Director. Hiding behind strong anime titles is basically his trademark.

Guess I'll go sit in a corner now and wait to hear an underwhelming performance from either Brina Palencia or Colleeen Clinkenbeard...

But who knows maybe it'll be someone deserving like Lydia Mackay or Stephanie Young (at least their voices are set in the similar range as Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and can sound a bit more youthful)
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 9:49 AM on Wed May 14 2014
@lazydude500 Stephanie Young and Lydia Mackay are both great choices for the character. Christine Auten would also make an excellent Kusanagi, IMO.

I also agree with you on Brina Palencia and Colleen Clinkenbeard; they both could use a break from being typecast into roles like this, even if they're usually pretty good at them.
Akuma-Dragon
said at 5:15 PM on Wed Aug 13 2014
@lazydude500
Couldn't agree more
Gaddes
said at 6:22 PM on Mon Aug 18 2014
@lazydude500 I'm definitively in agreement. I suppose I can understand recasting if it's set before the main series. Collen is one of Funi's better VA's so, she'll do fine I'm sure, but I'm not a huge fan of Brina. Guess I'm gonna have to get use to her in Xillia 2 lol
Motoko Kusanagi