Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Narrator

Comments

Huitzilopochtli
said at 9:53 AM on Mon Sep 4 2017
Well, I just finished watching the dub and I must say I'm quite impressed. This was the first series in quite a while that I was really invested in, all because I've been following the manga, and I really do believe the English voice actors did a great job conveying the emotions and personalities of the characters.
I will admit that Stephanie Wittels voice for Erina was a bit eyebrow-raising at first, but I honestly got used to it after a couple of episodes. The way I see it, they were going for an arrogant, haughty voice for her to convey her overwhelming sense of nobility and superiority, and if you look at it like that I think it becomes less silly.
Though I am satisfied with the whole cast I must say the most standout performance were from Bryson Baugus as Takumi, Scott Gibbs as Isshiki, Christina Kelly as Alice, and of course Blake Shepard as Soma himself.
Overall, I'd definitely recommend this series in general as well as the dub.
1dbad
said at 5:57 AM on Mon Aug 7 2017
I've been checking out this dub via HiDive, and I'm really liking what I've heard thus far. Characters are well-casted for the most part, and the accents are a lot of fun. They did a good job of carrying over how over-the-top fun it is in the dub.

My only complaint so far is Erina's voice. For some reason, they decided to have Stephanie Wittels go FULL VALLEY GIRL with her performance. The performance itself is solid for what it is, but the valley girl take is a bizarre choice for Erina. She's not a ditzy dumb blond, but an intelligent, high class woman. It feels very out-of-character for her, and nothing at all like her Japanese voice. Maybe it'll grow on me in time, but I really wish they would have not directed her to use an accent. (or at least have gone with something more fitting, like an upper crust British accent)
4xNicholas
said at 6:32 AM on Fri Aug 11 2017
@1dbad Yay! Someone agrees with me. That Erina is really bad. But honestly, IMO I dislike the whole cast, except Soma. To me, it lacks the power in acting that the subbed has. The voices also match better and flow better together. For example, there are some inconsistencies with the way the voices sound like with Hisako sounding too high pitched, Erina being too low pitched. There should be a better balance.

Although I do admit, Soma, Fumio and Ibusaki were better than I thought they would be. The rest lack powerful, raw and authetic acting, well IMO. I mean when looking at My Hero Academia, One Punch Man and Final Fantasy XV, the acting has so much weight to it and I just wanted more dubs to have that. I did not feel the weight and sincerity of the characters' emotions like the aforementioned three. It sounds so artificial and forced and that really saddens me.

But this one doesn't and that really saddens me because I love this anime and was actually checking the Sentai Filmworks channel everyday, waiting for a demo. So I am a bit pissed.

Then when the voices are baby and younger, it doesn't even sound younger. Yeah, why is Megumi sounding deeper than her mom? She must be around 14 - 15 and may be going through puberty. I understand that there may be a low budget, a lot of characters and they could not hire any strong talent. But they could have at least tried to add more weight and some sense of ambition with the dub.

That is what I am feeling with this dub and this is my opinion. Feel free to tell me what you think.
1dbad
said at 1:15 PM on Wed Aug 16 2017
@4xNicholas I'm glad I'm not the only one irked by Erina. It's such a random and unfitting choice to me. Like, it honestly feels like something I'd see in a 4Kids/4K Media dub or an Abridged series, not an official uncut dub.

You like Soma? That's interesting, since the majority of the dub complaints I've seen have centered on his voice.

Personally I don't mind Soma's voice, or most of what I've heard of the cast. There's some different takes (like Megumi having a deeper voice), but nothing too jarring, for the most part. I also don't think the acting is that bad, but to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of the poignant moments yet. (I ended up taking a break to watch a couple of other titles) If there's an issue there, I'd chalk it up to the voice director issue, since quite a few of these VAs have delivered emotional performances in other dubs. Most of the time Food Wars is about comedy and sex appeal, so it could be a result of them focusing too much on that aspect. Because despite being such a series, Food Wars does have some surprising poignant moments at times. Just not as often as series like My Hero Academia, haha.
4xNicholas
said at 3:28 PM on Wed Aug 16 2017
@1dbad You have your opinion and I have mine. My gripe was that the acting lacked a power. I did not feel the excitement for food or felt just how skilled Joichiro was. When I judge acting I ask myself, can I feel the weight of what the character feels. If I can feel their doubt and anger, the sense of fufillment and etc. I never felt enthusiasm or love of food, as well as the competitive spirit of others.

If I can't I don't think it is good. I do see your point on possible voice director. Seeing his work, I am not a big fan of what he had delivered. As for the comedy, fine I can laugh at it from time to time if that was the attention. Sex Appeal, not too much because the characters don't sound too sexy in my opinion.
1dbad
said at 4:07 PM on Fri Aug 18 2017
@4xNicholas An understandable complaint. I might very well feel the same way the more I watch.

Definitely sounds like it could be a director issue then. They're something that's often overlooked when it comes to dubs, but they play a huge part in the overall quality. (they're the ones getting the performances out of the actors and deciding which takes to use, after all!) A good voice director can pull off a solid performance out of even the most bland voice actors, while even the best VAs in the business can deliver underwhelming performances under weaker direction. I thought Ikumi sounded suitably sexy at least.
MadDude657
said at 2:37 PM on Fri Aug 25 2017
@1dbad well just happy that stephanie wittels is back in acting I loved her as Misaki from welcome to the NHK and he did sound hot in danmachi more then in here if ask me. and I do wonder on how both you are with sentai dubs in general?
1dbad
said at 9:55 PM on Fri Aug 25 2017
@MadDude657 It's always nice to see an actor return. And I do like what I heard of Stephanie's voice - I just found the valley girl inflection unnecessary. As for Sentai dubs overall...honestly, I haven't seen enough to really say. But I have liked what I heard of their other dubs. This is the only time I've had any issue with a casting choice of theirs.
batcool
said at 1:11 PM on Mon Jul 3 2017
I like the look of dub voice cast can't wait to hear them as their characters
MadDude657
said at 10:55 AM on Fri Jun 30 2017
the casting here is petty good looking forward to this.
MegaMike1990
said at 10:16 AM on Mon Jul 3 2017
@MadDude657

Agreed. I'm personally looking forward to see who will be playing Ikumi Mito.
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016