Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card
Voice Directors: Caitlin Glass, Anthony Bowling (Temporary)

US Premiere: Jan 24, 2018
US Conclusion: Ongoing
Japan Premiere: Jan 07, 2018
Japan Conclusion: Ongoing

Seasons: 1
Episodes: 22

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Popularity: 2,921st All Time, 13th This Week

Franchise: Cardcaptor Sakura
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

The Cast

Comments

Soul-dragon
said at 5:26 PM on Mon Feb 12 2018
This dub feels average to me. In all honestly I do have some issues that I'll state so here I go:
I liked Kero's voice a lot. Mikaela Krantz does the role justice and I enjoyed the voices for Yue and Toya as well. However I will admit that I'm honesty am not a fan of Rial's Sakura. Keep in mind I may have this issue because I can't look at her cute voice the same way after watching Ghost Stories, Saga of Tanya the Evil or Panty and Stocking but it seems to have a rough edge and it can sound odd at times not to mention I feel it needed to be sweeter. Who knows? Maybe it'll grow on me! As far as Tomoyo goes I feel that she's way to breathy which is odd considering that I usually like Natalie Hoover (especially as Sonia) but my biggest complaint is easily Jason Lebricht. While he fit the Tsubasa incarnation of the character well I'm not sure he fits this version. He sounds more like a caring father than a young boy if anything. Kara Edwards would've been a better fit.
All in all it's OK but not as strong as some of the other stuff Funimation has delivered. If you want a strong simuldub I suggest Citrus or Pop Team Epic since both are easily my favorites. But this could've been way better IMO.
MadDude657
said at 5:39 AM on Tue Feb 13 2018
@Soul-dragon To Jason Lebricht credit. I still think he have an mush lighter take then most grown male VA who voice young boys. But it have been a while since he did this type of role so it can be a bit iffy to some at first and this may a bit off but I very sure that middle school boys voices are mix with male or female casting even with the Japanese. I mean there a currently airing anime called karakai jouzu no takagi san where both Yuki Kaji and aaron dismuke play a boy name Nishikata who also a middle schooler.
PerfectSe7en
said at 6:51 PM on Thu Jan 25 2018
Cast is in. What did we think?
deltanine
said at 3:24 PM on Sat Feb 10 2018
@PerfectSe7en I think Monica Rial did a good job with Sakura and
Mikaela Krantz was a solid Kero, and the supporting cast sounded great. But Tomoyo sounded a bit breathy at times, but wasn't unlistenable, but my biggest problem was Jason Lebricht's Syaoran. I felt that he wasn't suited for the role. I think he was a perfect fit for the Tsubasa version of Syaoran, but that was because that guy was much older than his CCS iteration, and I would have liked it better if they cast Maxey Whitehead in the role instead.
1dbad
said at 4:04 AM on Mon Feb 12 2018
@PerfectSe7en Tomoyo's voice being so whispery is a strange choice, but otherwise I'm really pleased with the cast. Even the iffier choices (like Jason's Syaoran) have been getting better with each episode, so I'm not worried.
A-Log
said at 11:58 AM on Thu Jan 25 2018
And the country of Canada is pissed that they lost another anime to the US. :P
Soul-dragon
said at 2:04 PM on Thu Jan 25 2018
@A-Log It's OK. They have Death Note.
Damalis
said at 2:45 PM on Thu Jan 25 2018
@A-Log Not me lol :P. The new cast looks awesome.
deltanine
said at 9:11 AM on Fri Jan 26 2018
@Soul-dragon And Black Lagoon. And when Funimation licensed it, they asked them to dub it.
1dbad
said at 7:20 PM on Fri Jan 26 2018
@A-Log Canada is not lucking out when it comes to magical girl anime, are they? First Los Angeles gets both Sailor Moon animes, then they get Precure/Glitter Force, and now Texas has Sakura.

At least Ocean is slowly but surely starting to get work again. (Gintama, Kiznavier, World Trigger, etc.)
said at 8:08 PM on Fri Jan 26 2018
@A-Log

Indeed. :(
Keyr001
said at 3:13 AM on Sat Feb 10 2018
@A-Log

At least they got Powerpuff Girls Z, which is also a magical girl show too. And also my childhood
MadDude657
said at 9:03 PM on Wed Jan 24 2018
Okay my comment gone why? Is there something wrong with linking or I did come off rubbing it in? If so Sorry I just little carer away because this is the first time came up an idea for a actor/actress and it actually came true. I probably was to excited that I may have forgotten the rules :P
immblueversion
said at 1:15 PM on Wed Jan 24 2018
Looks like we'll be having a bunch of new VCs on our hands.
Autovolt
said at 4:43 PM on Tue Jan 23 2018
So Funimation decided to go with reprisals from the Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE dub huh?

Interesting choice, though a bit gutsy.

I've never seen Tsubasa (i'm gonna have to now) but I'm pretty sure the depictions from that anime are a bit different from their roles in Cardcaptors Sakura.

Still Monica Rial should be a natural fit for the original Sakura.

Jason Liebrecht I like a lot as a VA but I'm a bit iffy on him voicing him here. I know he can do young teens like in Wolf Children and he is now suppose to be in junior high. So This can go either way, though I think Jason fits the Tsubasa version he originally portrayed more. Personally I would've went with Justin Briner for a male VA or a female VA otherwise.

If that's the case, then Robert McCollum and Eric Vale are probably going to be reprising Yukito and Toya....oh wow Goten and Trunks as these two. That should be fun. XD

Caitlin Glass directing should be good, I know she's a fan of Sailor Moon but for her this is probably the next best thing to be working on.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the cast announcements soon.

I'll check out the dub at some point after I binge through all of the first Cardcaptors Sakura anime first.
MizukaS
said at 6:18 PM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@Autovolt
Jason kinda sounds like Dave Wittenberg when he does the middle schooler voice. He even did Syaoran's younger incarnation in Tsubasa as well, and it turned out better than I expected. This is coming from someone that's generally against the idea of (grown) male VAs voicing kids below the age of 12.
1dbad
said at 2:36 PM on Wed Jan 24 2018
@Autovolt Turns out they aren't going for a complete Tsubasa reprisal. Every other character that also appeared in Tsubasa now has a new voice actor for the Clear Card dub.

Not sure why they didn't go for a full reprisal, but I'm pleased with the casting choices nonetheless. I just finished watching the dub and I was satisfied with it. Only voice that's going to take some getting used to is Tomoyo.
itsmedeadpool
said at 9:37 PM on Wed Jan 24 2018
@1dbad Caitlin Glass did clear that up. Someone asked her regarding Yukito and Toya's recasting and she explained why.
1dbad
said at 3:12 AM on Thu Jan 25 2018
@itsmedeadpool Nice to have an official answer! I think she made the right call. And I've come to prefer Yukito and Toya's new voices, actually.
MadDude657
said at 4:24 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
You know I honestly think that Jason Liebrecht dose well with young kids if ask me. (His work in school rumble and wolf children) he have the voice that work with many teen and adult characters.
MizukaS
said at 4:28 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@MadDude657
It's very likely that Jason is just gonna use a slightly higher pitched voice than the Tsubasa Syaoran voice he used back then. Either way, it's a perfect fit.
1dbad
said at 4:05 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
Really pleased with the cast so far. Looking forward to the dub premiere!
MizukaS
said at 4:31 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@1dbad
Given that it's been forever since I've watched the original series (I think I was around in the 8th grade back then), I'm gonna marathon it before I hop into the Clear Card series.
1dbad
said at 12:54 AM on Wed Jan 24 2018
@MizukaS Good idea! I actually never saw the original series growing up, but I finally watched it for the first time last year. So glad I did. It's one of my new favorites!
RetroPokeFan
said at 2:06 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
Really nice to see Caitlin Glass got both Monica Rial and Jason Leibrecht back from Tsubasa.
MizukaS
said at 3:55 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@RetroPokeFan
You can say that again! I'm so happy that it happened.
Soul-dragon
said at 5:30 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
Monica Rial as Sakura? Wasn't expecting that. Can't wait to hear her performance.
mypetgoat
said at 8:21 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
@Soul-dragon Monica did played as Sakura in Tsubasa, so it's more of a role reprisal. Even Jason Liebrecht returned as Syaoran.
MadDude657
said at 9:09 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
@mypetgoat my original idea would be luci christian. Until I found out what Tsubasa is. And it wasn’t that surprising... Funi always going with a new in-house cast with these new anime series of old shows that was originally dub by Vancouver, LA and Houston (ADV days) so there no point of asking if they going outsource with seasonal simuldubbing.
MadDude657
said at 9:16 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
@MadDude657 *asking/wondering
MizukaS
said at 10:13 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
@mypetgoat
Yeah, exactly. That's actually what I was expecting. My prediction was that Funimation's getting the Tsubasa VAs to reprise their roles. So far, that's two down.

That being said, I wonder what the chances of getting Johnny Yong Bosch to reprise as Eriol are. He's appeared in one Funi simuldub before as Hajime in DR3, but if Funimation doesn't get him, that's fine. Micah Solusod would be the closest match for the character.

Previously, it's been announced that Natalie Hoover is joining the cast, and we don't know which character she's voicing. Any guesses before the full cast list rolls out, guys?
MadDude657
said at 4:06 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@Soul-dragon HOLY DAMN! Was thinking of Natalie Hoover along with luci but anyway I think the best choice for Natalie would be Tomoyo Daidouji.
Soul-dragon
said at 4:49 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@MadDude657 I think that Natalie is going to be Kero.
MadDude657
said at 4:57 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@Soul-dragon unless funi can get chris cason in Dallas a few time. But Think that’s possibly as well for Hoover.
Soul-dragon
said at 6:10 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@MadDude657 In all honestly I really don't want Kero to be played by a man. Don't get me wrong I there are many talented male VAs but I've never once viewed Kero a cute bear plushie as a character who needed a man's voice. The only two male VAs I can see pulling it off are Bryce Papenbrook and Vic Mignogna TBH.
MizukaS
said at 7:01 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@Soul-dragon
If Chris Cason is reprising, it's gonna be the same goofy voice he did back in the Tsubasa dub. I have no objection with that. I actually doubt that Natalie is going to be Kero because her voice doesn't fit Kero-type characters.

Actually, I think Natalie is going to be Akiho, the new girl. If not her, she's probably gonna be one of Sakura's classmates.
Soul-dragon
said at 7:08 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@MizukaS I have heard Chris's goofy voice before (in Xenoblade X) and I honestly don't think it'll work but who knows. We'll just wait and she.
MizukaS
said at 8:30 AM on Tue Jan 23 2018
@Soul-dragon
It's not the same goofy voice, but it's a goofy voice nonetheless. Let's see how this goes.
Damalis
said at 11:09 AM on Wed Jan 24 2018
@MadDude657 You called it :O !
Raebo
said at 5:20 PM on Mon Jan 22 2018
Monica Rial confirms that Caitlin Glass is the ADR Director: https://www.twitter.com/Rialisms/status/955606515452469248
Where The Wild Things Are Spotlight