Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Main Cast

Recurring Roles

Guest Stars

Comments

MizukaS
said at 12:59 PM on Tue Oct 17 2017
I was gonna get the Bluray set as soon as it's out, but seeing as it's hosted on Go90 at the moment, I decided to watch the dub there, instead. I think it's funny how Cherami did the voice of a kogal.

Now, for the overall quality of the dub... I personally think it's really impressive. The entire principal cast really pulled it off, no qualms there. Griffin as Jinta is especially well done! That dude's gonna go far!

The secondary cast really pulled their weight, too. Hearing veteran VA Michelle Ruff play one of the minor characters put a smile to my face.

And everyone killed it in the finale. The feels are REAL. It's as excellently executed as Your Lie in April's ending. It's Patrick Seitz in the director's chair, so I didn't expect any less. Props to him for directing Griffin to do his absolute best, especially. Griffin's performance didn't even give off a tint of greenness, he blended very perfectly with more experienced VAs like Xanthe, Ray, Kaiji, and the two Ericas.

Now, onto criticism. My only real gripe is Marianne Miller as Satoshi, Menma's bro. Her voice is suitable as kid Satoshi (during the time when all the main cast were children), but not present Satoshi. He's about as tall as Jinta, and hearing him sound like a 10 year old feels... unsuitable. Bryce Papenbrook would have been perfect as present Satoshi, or any male VA that specializes in male teen voices in the LA dubbing pool.

Still, this is a really good dub regardless, and I would unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone that hasn't watched Anohana before.
BlueHeracross
said at 2:06 PM on Tue Oct 17 2017
@MizukaS I feel the opposite about Marianne. I thought she was really fitting for present day Satoshi, but way too deep for him as a (younger) child.
larkchronicles
said at 7:01 AM on Thu Apr 20 2017
Griffin Burns as a Miyu Irino character is perfect casting. He's got a soothing voice you don't hear often, one that will sell Jintan's introspective moments quite well without seeming melodramatic. I can't wait to hear his performance, especially because Jintan's his first lead role.

It's nice to see Xanthe in more major shows too. I'm playing Persona 5 and I absolutely adore her Haru.
DeathGod46
said at 4:47 PM on Sun Apr 16 2017
Man, I wanted Johnny yong bosch to be in this! Congrats to the cast! Can't wait to hear the dub!
Food4thought
said at 9:22 AM on Wed Apr 26 2017
@DeathGod46 Don't you want Johnny Yong Bosch in everything?
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 6:27 PM on Wed Apr 26 2017
@Food4thought Eh, it can be a repetitive comment, sure, but I can sure sympathize with it. It's been awhile since we've heard him in many new dubs.
Food4thought
said at 11:18 PM on Thu Apr 27 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed yeah I'm a big fan of him too! But I kinda I get why people were tired of him back when he was in everything.

Also glad Griffin Burns is in a mc role, hopefully they rotate cast members in different roles more often and let lesser known vas have more chances.
DeathGod46
said at 4:24 AM on Fri May 12 2017
@Food4thought I sure do! Lol
DeathGod46
said at 4:26 AM on Fri May 12 2017
@huzaifa_ahmed I think the last new one he did was Kuromakuro. Not including sequels.
4xNicholas
said at 6:37 PM on Sat Apr 15 2017
Finally, I was waiting for something like this.
JRPictures
said at 6:35 PM on Sat Apr 15 2017
After the success of Your Lie in April, I knew Aniplex were definitely gonna call on Patrick Seitz to direct another reasonably big dub for them, just definitely didn't see it being this one (after all it's been year since it aired and NIS America originally released it sub only, it's a pretty unique situation for Aniplex). It's gonna be another show I'll put off watching thanks to this dubbing news (following Gosick and Hyouka, thanks Funimation).

Some fine casting choices of course (nice to see more of Marianne Miller), was pretty inevitable that Griffin Burns get a lead role after all the supporting and minor parts he's done so far. Though Jintan definitely seems like a big change of pace from what he's done before (his roles in Kuromukuro, Ajin and Hunter x Hunter are pretty easygoing and peppy characters, the former 2 leaning on the naive side) so it's going to be interesting to hear how he goes.
Raebo
said at 12:19 PM on Sat Apr 15 2017
I thought this show would be a shoe-in for Alex von David
Raebo
said at 12:26 PM on Sat Apr 15 2017
I accidentally clicked "Post Comment" before I could finish!

Anyway yeah, I thought this show would go to Alex von David because of how he handled Toradora, but after Patrick Seitz excellent voice direction on Your Lie in April (another heavily tear-jerky anime), I shouldn't be too surprised. It's amazing that this dub is even happening! I'm so happy right now, you guys! :)
DeathGod46
said at 5:52 AM on Tue Apr 25 2017
@Raebo I remember Alex once saying that he prefers doing 1 show at a time. He's currently working on blue exorcist season 2. That could be a reasoning.
Fancy Ken
said at 6:19 PM on Wed Mar 8 2017
It pains me so much that this show has never been dubbed. Did they ever give a reason for that? Or is it like most anime that haven't been dubbed and whichever company has the license for it is just going to pretend it doesn't exist and never talk about it again?
Abdullab
said at 12:14 PM on Sat Apr 15 2017
@Fancy Ken relax now, it is coming
Fancy Ken
said at 4:03 PM on Sun Apr 16 2017
@Abdullab Oh I'm not relaxing. I am jumping off the wall in excitement.
Abdullab