NEWS - Valkyria Chronicles 4 Announced
Reported by NCZ on Mon Nov 20 2017

Sega announced last night that the Valkyria Chronicles strategy RPG series is back, with its first full-fledged console game since the original 10 years ago.

The Valkyria series has had a somewhat turbulent history, especially outside Japan. The first game, originally released for the Playstation 3, was a modest success that proved to be a cult hit. Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, however, abandoned the PS3 audience in favour of a release on the Playstation Portable - the latter game was not even localized. The series was revitalized by a PC port of the original game in 2014, which soon became a million-seller and saw even further success when it was used as the basis for a PS4 port. Though this year's Valkyria Revolution, an action-oriented spinoff, was met with tepid response from fans and critics, it looks like it has thankfully been a slight speed bump rather than a series killer. VC4 promises to return to what made the original game a bona fide modern classic.

In an interview with the official Playstation Blog, producer Kei Mikami had the following to say:

"The aim of this Valkyria Project is to expand the series on a global scale. We haven’t released a mainline title since Valkyria Chronicles 3 in 2011, so our goal from the beginning was to attract new audiences worldwide. Our overarching vision is to return to the original Valkyria Chronicles’ roots, while building on improvements from the rest of the series. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is the culmination of everything we’ve learned up to this point."

The main voice cast was also announced:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 launches in Japan on March 21, 2018, and will officially celebrate the series's 10th anniversary. A PS4 exclusive at launch, a port for the Nintendo Switch will follow that summer. Outside Japan, the game is slated for a general "2018" release window, and will be available on PS4, Switch, and Xbox One.

Source: famitsu.com

Comments

MizukaS
said at 4:57 AM on Thu Nov 23 2017
Nice. It's time for more military action!
RetroPokeFan
said at 4:10 AM on Wed Nov 22 2017
Yes, great to see the series is back on track again.

Revolution was disappointing in most aspects but it's nice to see Sega's giving the series another chance. In fact next year's lookin to be a good one for Sega.

As for the dub I'm hoping they choose Studiopolis and bring Jack Fletcher back, if not then I'm fine if someone else like Cup of Tea does the dub. I think they did pretty good with Revolution (despite what I had just said about the game itself).
BlueHeracross
said at 5:49 PM on Mon Nov 20 2017
Awesome, been waiting a while for this game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jack Fletcher to return as director, but I'm not expecting it.
said at 8:23 PM on Mon Nov 20 2017
@BlueHeracross

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I'd love if they got him and Studiopolis and went full union if they were going hard about making this a huge, VC1-style endeavour, but I'm probably going to anticipate they go with Cup of Tea since outside of Sonic they've been Sega's studio of choice lately.
said at 8:55 AM on Mon Nov 20 2017
Man, I am so, so happy right now. I was worried after how Revolution turned out that the series was on ice, but this looks EXACTLY how a new Valkyria Chronicles should be. I am so stoked, I really hope they manage to get this one right. That and Sonic Forces aside, and the obvious elephant in the room of older series getting neglected, I've really been enjoying Sega's output on the new consoles lately, so I'm really hopeful they nail this one. Having it on Switch is a cool surprise as well even if I'll need to see how it stacks up against the PS4 one before deciding which to go for.

Now, if only another RPG series with "Valkyri--" in the name could come back...
Luigikun
said at 9:33 AM on Mon Nov 20 2017
@NCZ Do you think we'll get an English dub from this game as well? If so, from Studiopolis or Cup of Tea?
doodlebugfour
said at 8:31 PM on Tue Nov 21 2017
@Luigikun Probably will, I mean even Revolution despite it's faults got a solid dub.