Lord of the Rings Voice Compares
NEWS - The Simpsons To End Over Salary Dispute?
Reported by NCZ at 9:57 PM on Tue Oct 4 2011

Let's face it; The Simpsons isn't nearly as popular now as it was in its prime. Though it has lasted an impressive 23 seasons, the show's ratings have fallen around 20% since 2006, and Fox has decided that new episodes are too expensive to produce, so continuing to work on the series isn't as profitable as they'd prefer. So, it's been decided that if the show is to continue, the primary voice actors behind it (Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Harry Shearer, and Hank Azaria) are going to have to accept a pay cut of 45%, reducing their income per year to $100,000. That may sound like a lot, but consider that before this cut, they'd be making almost twice that for the same amount of work.

Needless to say, the actors are not fond of this plan. They believe that they have contributed to the Simpsons' success just as much as higher-ups Matt Groening and James L. Brooks. They find it unfair that even if the show ends, the creators and executives will reap large amounts of money from syndication deals and the like, while all they'll get are residuals.

UPDATE: It has since been announced that regardless of whether or not a compromise will be met, the show's 25th season will be its last anyway.

Source: thedailybeast.com

Latest Comments

voiceactorfan
said at 7:16 PM on Fri Dec 2 2011
its a shame the longest show ever going off.anyone knows whats the longest show now.
voiceactorfan
said at 10:19 PM on Mon Dec 5 2011
@voiceactorfan scratch that longest cartoon ever.
pete
said at 1:23 AM on Fri Oct 14 2011
Occasionally they make a good episode every now and then but I read FOX is cancelling it regardless
PurpleWarrior13
said at 12:28 AM on Sun Oct 9 2011
UPDATE: http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/58935-the-simpsons-dodge-a-bullet
-VEGA-
said at 12:47 PM on Sat Oct 8 2011
Fox is basically screwing themselves over by risking this. As some of you mentioned previously, their line-up of programs are basically going to be nothing without The Simpsons. So good luck, Fox. You're going to need it.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 6:18 PM on Thu Oct 6 2011
This article sheds a little more light on the subject http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/idUS242893159420111005
Pokejedservo (Moderator)
said at 11:34 PM on Wed Oct 5 2011
As much as viewers would view the idea of Simpsons ending as Euthanasia but whether if Fox ever will let it end is uncertain. After all things considered Simpsons is all what Fox really has anymore. Due to the FCC's strict anti-marketing rules for kid shows they will have a hard time trying to go back to Kids shows. And as for Adult comedies the majority of their stuff is also on CN's Adult Swim. Could FOX survive without Simpsons? Its possible but they don't have a lot else when it comes to animation.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 11:37 PM on Wed Oct 5 2011
@Pokejedservo FOX has Glee and House! The Simpsons could also live in re-runs. Even if the show is cancelled, FOX will still make a pretty penny off of the merchandise that won't stop production.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 6:19 PM on Thu Oct 6 2011
@Pokejedservo They could easily survive without them since they are currently LOSING money to produce more episodes of the show!
ajhz
said at 11:36 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
I kind of want this to happen http://www.avclub.com/articles/fox-considering-tv-channel-that-plays-nothing-but,61862/
said at 7:02 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
I also wouldn't mind if the series does die. I've been wanting the Simpsons to be cancelled for a long time now. I think I speak for everyone when I say that although the older episodes were classics, it got weaker and weaker over time. The new episodes are completely unwatchable. Almost everything after season 10 was hit-or-miss (missing most of the time), and there hasn't been a single good episode since 2007.

Onto the other topic discussed in this article. Business-wise I think the voice actors have a very good point. Their voices are way more well-known than a lot of other people who work on the show. It wouldn't be the same without them. I agree that it's unfair for them to barely get any money, while greedy executives get more and more.
Ninjaman15
said at 1:55 PM on Sun Oct 9 2011
@NCZ I can agree with that statement. The Simpsons has gotten real corny and easily avoidable these days. It's the same problem I have with Family Guy: it stopped being unwatchable for me after season 5. Even South Park and Spongebob have been getting worse (SP with its constant overuse of toilet humor and long-winded speeches, and SB because of the humor transforming into nothing but stupid humor and the episodes being so fast-paced) I personally think TV as a whole died after 2006/07.

I miss the olden years, even if I rarely knew much...
Joop
said at 3:51 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
Hmmm... Considering that, in the Netherlands if we'd dub a season of the Simpsons, the main voice actors would get a maximum of €1392,-- per year. I still think they get payed an aweful lot.
Mauser91
said at 3:43 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
I think it's sad. Stop the show for that? It's very sad ...
PurpleWarrior13
said at 1:25 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
I think the show should end on an even 25 seasons. It's a good round number for long shows to end on! It worked for Oprah, so why not The Simpsons? I love The Simpsons, but even I admit the show should start wrapping up.

Of course, they could just replace the expensive voice actors just like the expensive Pokemon voice actors (yes, the original Pokemon voice actors are the highest paid non-Studio Ghilibi American anime voice actors in history), the Spanish cast of The Simpsons was also totally replaced over a union/salery dispute. I don't think that would work for the English cast because of their iconic status. They just wouldn't sound the same!
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 12:52 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
Well 2006 was the last truly solid season for The Simpsons..its quite shocking to hear this news to be honest hopefully it doesn't have to end purely because its the damn Simpsons..I can't even comprehend the idea of the Simpsons not being television..Fox has always been a bunch of greedy bastards they canceled the beloved King of the Hill and Family Guy more then once in the past not to mention half a dozen other finely crafted shows in the last decade.
Ringworm128
said at 12:35 AM on Wed Oct 5 2011
I never thought I would say this but I'm GLAD its ending. And this is coming from a UBER Simpsons fan. Even I have to admit its gone down hill and I thought the ones from a couple of years ago were decent. Even though they were terrible to everyone else.
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS