NEWS - The Lion King Live-Action Cast Announced
Reported by NCZ on Wed Nov 1 2017

Disney have unveiled the full cast for their upcoming CGI/live-action remake of one of animation's most beloved all-time classics: The Lion King. While several cast members had been announced previously, this is the first collection of its final cast in one place. Lending their voices to CGI characters on live-action backgrounds, the cast is as follows:

The Lion King will open 25 years after the original, on July 19, 2019.
Source: twitter.com

Comments

nikipotamus
said at 12:48 AM on Sun Nov 12 2017
Oh boy, that cast. *fans self*

Between this and Aladdin, I might want to go to the cinema to catch a screening instead of waiting for the DVD/Bluray.
KhFan-D98
said at 3:57 PM on Mon Nov 6 2017
Chiwetel Ejiofor will nail Scar, for sure.
Soul-dragon
said at 1:07 PM on Sun Nov 5 2017
Oh man this means were going to get a duet of Can You Feel The Love Tonight with Childish Gambino and Beyonce with Hans Zimmerman composing. This is going to be good...
Stare at the Sun
said at 12:39 PM on Sun Nov 5 2017
Eric Andre: *shoots Mufasa*

Eric Andre: Who killed Mufasa?
Regomania
said at 10:01 PM on Sat Nov 4 2017
Nala: Simba i'm here to bring you back
Simba: BEYONCE!?
SupremeTarantulas
said at 5:12 PM on Sat Nov 4 2017
No Banzai?
HyperVoiceActing
said at 11:35 AM on Sat Nov 4 2017
I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. The cast seems relatively solid at least
King Marth 64
said at 2:32 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
It's good to see James Earl Jones returns voicing Mufasa for the live-action film. I kinda wondered what the scene will look like it's going to be handled with CGI-only characters?
King Marth 64
said at 2:41 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@King Marth 64 *scenes
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 6:13 AM on Sat Nov 4 2017
@King Marth 64 The best comparison, at least based on what we know, is that it'll visually look quite similar to Favreau's "The Jungle Book" - photorealistic visual effects with live-action background plates.
Soul-dragon
said at 12:58 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
This cast looks fantastic. Here's to hoping that the film will be just as good, because with Aladdin shaping up to be a major disappointment with it's awful casting choices this is one of the only live action Disney films I have to look to.
said at 1:40 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@Soul-dragon

Robin Williams is hard to top and I was surprised by Will Smith, but the rest of Aladdin's cast is fine.
Soul-dragon
said at 2:21 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@NCZ Really? I mostly have an issue with two castings one being Naomi Scott as Jasmine. Granted I have nothing against her (I'm actually a pretty big fan due to her work in Lemonade Mouth) but she isn't Arab. Granted I'm not Arab myself and I'm not as butt hurt about it as some people, but it makes me uneasy due to how offended some people are about it. Racial tensions are as uneasy as ever now and the fact that Disney choose to not chose a person of the majority for the part is mind boggling. And then we have Billy Magnussen. Why they needed to put a white guy in a movie set in the middle east is beyond me (and this is coming from a 'white' person BTW). I mean, shouldn't this be a celebration of Arab culture?
said at 2:58 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@Soul-dragon

Ooh okay I have to admit I honestly didn't know that about Naomi Scott. I was just thinking about how I liked the choice they went with for Aladdin. But yeah, it would be nice if they could have had an actual Arab actress, I agree.

Apparently Billy Magnussen is playing a "potential suitor" for Jasmine so when I saw that I just figured it'd be the whole trope of the potential suitor who shows up from another country and then gets rejected. If it's a small part like that then I don't mind too much. Be weird if it's a bigger role though. Sorry about that, I probably should have looked into it all a bit more.
The Doctor
said at 12:15 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
"Live-action"
said at 12:32 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@The Doctor

CGI characters on a live-action background as explained in the article..
The Doctor
said at 12:48 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@NCZ Does that mean that Disney's Dinosaur also counts as live-action movie?
said at 12:50 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@The Doctor

Why wouldn't it?
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 3:57 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@The Doctor Technically, yes.
The Doctor
said at 3:41 PM on Fri Nov 3 2017
@NCZ @NCZ One was sold and advertised as an animated movie. Another is going to be sold and advertised as "live-action" movie. On technical - level, they don't differ from each other significantly.

YMMV, but if all the characters are going to be animated, live-action backround is not going to be enough for me to make the entire movie count as live-action. I mean, for example, Rocket & Groot aren't considered live-action characters in GotG movies, even though they interacted with live-action backrounds and even people.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 6:21 AM on Sat Nov 4 2017
Plus, one thing to keep in mind with the moniker of "live-action" that is used is the CONTEXT in which it's used.

Think of it this way: The categorization of "live-action" that's causing some nonplussed reactions is mostly used to differentiate it from the TRADITIONALLY ANIMATED 1994 version. That's what they're trying to say. "This isn't the 1994 animated movie, this is a brand-new not-traditionally-animated movie".

They're simplifying it for the sake of advertisements and article headlines. There's the *traditionally animated* 1994 movie with hand-drawn/cel-drawn animation that was a "cartoon". Now there's a contemporary, photorealistic CG remake of the movie. What are photorealistic visual effects typically used for? Integration into LIVE-ACTION films like LOTR, Guardians of the Galaxy, Favreau's Jungle Book, Transformers, Jurassic Park, Iron Man, Narnia, etc..

While CG animation/visual effects are still "animation" in the literal sense and there may not be any actual live-action human beings present in this new movie, how do you compare the two vastly different film mediums in a quick, easy-to-read way? Simple. The 1994 version is "animated" and this new one is "live-action". At the end of the day, it's semantics for easy separation.
The Doctor
said at 11:24 AM on Mon Nov 6 2017
@TylerMirage Frankly, just call it "Lion King remake." Most of the remakes don't need any special labels. At best, you just refer to the filmmaker who made them, if your interlocutor is getting confused ("Which The Thing movie I'm talking about? John Carpenter's of course.") Then again, these Disney remakes are clearly mainly targeting people who don't consider animation legitimate story-telling artform in the first place, so I guess they have to market this movie as "live-action."
said at 1:52 PM on Mon Nov 6 2017
@The Doctor

But then people would think it's a fully-animated remake. Disney just call it "live-action" as shorthand for, "hey, you know The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and Maleficent? It's like that." That's all there is to it.
Floatzelgal2016
said at 8:50 AM on Thu Nov 2 2017
I was hoping David Oyelowo would cast as Scar.
Abdullab
said at 8:08 PM on Sat Nov 4 2017
@Floatzelgal2016 he is in Lion Guard
Floatzelgal2016
said at 6:28 AM on Sun Nov 5 2017
@Abdullab
I know, I just finger it could help him to make him more like Scar.
8000 Saiyans
said at 4:13 AM on Thu Nov 2 2017
Who the hell is Billy Eichner?
said at 9:12 AM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@8000 Saiyans

TheVengeanceKnight
said at 10:56 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
That is one amazing cast.
8000 Saiyans
said at 8:10 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
I won't bother with this film. It feels so unnecessary.
said at 8:39 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
@8000 Saiyans

Is any film truly necessary?
8000 Saiyans
said at 9:47 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
@NCZ No, but films give us entertainment.
said at 9:53 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
@8000 Saiyans

I know. Entertainment is an important function of society too. I'm just ribbin'.
CaptainGrumpy
said at 12:24 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@8000 Saiyans I don't know which "us" you're referring to but I'm looking forward to this
8000 Saiyans
said at 11:42 AM on Sat Nov 4 2017
@CaptainGrumpy Good for you.
Shaun Ince
said at 7:45 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
I think the one casting choice I'm most excited for is Donald Glover as Simba. I'm a fan of his, especially his music. John Oliver as Zazu is a good choice too.
Soul-dragon
said at 2:25 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@Shaun Ince Yeah he's been climbing the ladder pretty fast lately. First he got cast as Lando Calrissen and now this. And he deserves it honestly. His music isn't half bad (I don't really listen to rap honestly) and I liked his work on the Amazing Spiderman (despite how bad the show was.).
BNSF1995
said at 4:32 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
Beyonce?! Oh, good god, why?! All they're doing is pandering now!
said at 4:57 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
@BNSF1995

Pandering? How?
CaptainGrumpy
said at 12:24 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@BNSF1995 please explain to us how they're pandering
Soul-dragon
said at 2:25 PM on Thu Nov 2 2017
@BNSF1995 Would you rather they get someone who couldn't sing and needed auto tune?
RetroPokeFan
said at 12:45 PM on Fri Nov 3 2017
@Soul-dragon *CoughcoughEmmaWatsonfromBeauty&TheBest*, dang she really did suffer from mindless auto tune during the songs.
Ghosty404
said at 4:23 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
This must be the easiest job ever for the cameraman. Just film some lands in Africa and let the CGI animators do the rest :P
Jacob M. Keene
said at 4:14 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
Hmm, I never would've expected Beyoncé and Seth Rogen to voice for the remake, but I do look forward to hearing them in the movie as well as James Earl Jones once again.
said at 4:04 PM on Wed Nov 1 2017
So excited for this. This is a PHENOMENAL cast. Just WOW!