NEWS - The Jungle Book lines up Voices
Reported by OptimusSolo at 4:05 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014

Disney's adaptation of The Jungle Book which is being helmed by none other than Jon Favreau is starting to line up its potential voice cast.  The film is set to be a combination of live-action and CGI which should open up the possibility to have new voice additions to some classic characters.

Idris Elba is already confirmed to be voicing Shere Khan.

Reports are now circulating that the following two castings may also be in the works:

Kaa: Scarlett Johansson

Rakcha: Lupita Nyong'o

Source: Total Film

Latest Comments

DVJ
said at 4:59 PM on Fri Aug 15 2014
Well I have just discovered that Baloo will be voiced by Bill Murray and Giancarlo Esposito will be Akela.

Also King Loui will be in this and be voiced by......Christopher Walken.

Yeah I think now its clear that with the inclusion of their OOC in the movie and all these celebrity voices ,its clear this movie will be more like the their original animated movie than something closer to the novel.

At the very least the wolves will apparently have a larger role.
virtual revenger
said at 1:45 PM on Wed May 14 2014
I wonder who will do Baloo? Robin Williams.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 5:58 PM on Wed May 14 2014
I'm pulling for Tom Hiddleston. :-P

DVJ
said at 4:28 PM on Sat Jun 7 2014
@virtual revenger That depends on question on whether they are going to use Baloos original characterization from the book or the one from the 1967 version
Mugenlazlo
said at 12:01 PM on Fri Jun 13 2014
@virtual revenger how about John Goodman?
DVJ
said at 4:53 PM on Fri Aug 15 2014
@virtual revenger Apparently its Bill Murray.
demon-rabbit94
said at 11:48 PM on Tue May 6 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
scarlett johansson as Kaa? whats next, angelina jolie as winnie the pooh?

well i guess this new adaption could be interesting.
thomwim
said at 11:20 AM on Tue May 13 2014
Well, one bootleg Polish translation of the "Winnie the Pooh" books turned the bear into a female.

What is going on in Eastern Europe?
Shazz
said at 7:47 AM on Sat May 3 2014
That's cool ^^. It would be fun to play a character from The Jungle Book.
DVJ
said at 11:08 AM on Thu May 1 2014
Scarlett Johansson as Kaa? That might be the odest voice casting choice i heard in a while,i can bear them gender swaping Kaa,but i know what Johansson sounds like and i have a hard time picturing that voice coming out of any type of serpeant.All i can say is that Kaa will probably be a vastly diffrent character in this movie than what he was in the original book and the disney version.

I m not the one to prematurly judge someone before i see their performence,but this is defiantly weird.
Blimphead
said at 10:44 AM on Sun May 4 2014
@DVJ There's always the off chance that she could do something different with her voice? I mean, if she does it with her normal voice she'll be sort of seductive in a weird kinda way.
thomwim
said at 10:32 AM on Thu May 1 2014
In Soviet Russia, Bagheera became a female. But who am I to complain?
Dogman15
said at 9:26 PM on Wed Apr 30 2014
This is the first I've heard of such a film. What does it look like?
VctrBnsn
said at 7:11 AM on Thu May 1 2014
@Dogman15 We don't know yet, it's still pretty early in production.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 4:22 PM on Thu May 1 2014
@Dogman15 Other than the ambiguous "mix of CG and live-action" description we have, we don't know much. A lot of people's knee-jerk reactions made it seem like people thought it'd be along the lines of "Scooby-Doo"/"Yogi Bear"/"Alvin and the Chipmunks", etc., where it's super stylized, cartoony visual effects alongside live-action footage.

My assumption is that it'll be akin to "Chronicles of Narnia" in the sense of how the animals are portrayed.
VctrBnsn
said at 5:08 PM on Thu May 1 2014
@TylerMirage That was my first impression too. Hey, with Disney doing a lot of these live action adaptations of their animated films, one thing I would like to see is a live action/CGI Lion King. I think that would be awesome!
Dogman15
said at 7:00 PM on Thu May 1 2014
@TylerMirage I can totally dig a live-action-Narnia-style Jungle Book movie.
SparklyShake12
said at 4:57 AM on Tue Apr 29 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Jon Favreau in the director's chair explains the potential Scar Jo casting, though I'm not quite sure if I like it.

Idris Elba as Shere Khan = perfection

Lupita I'm not sure about yet. I have yet to see any of her prior work
jamesxmouse
said at 3:28 PM on Tue Apr 29 2014
@SparklyShake12 Precisely what I'm thinking..
zOsirisS19985zX
said at 11:47 PM on Mon Apr 28 2014
What is the meaning of this new Jungle Book movie? the original quite made since with the Disney franchise but this? idk but why Scarlett Johansson as kaa? Jim Cummings is the only actor that fits the character since Sterling Holloway cause kaa is a male snake.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 5:06 AM on Tue Apr 29 2014
@zOsirisS19985zX Why does he have to be male?
zOsirisS19985zX
said at 2:05 PM on Tue Apr 29 2014
@OptimusSolo Cause that's his character. It's just my thought, no biggie.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 7:19 PM on Tue Apr 29 2014
@zOsirisS19985zX As I stated below, the gender of Kaa doesn't really have any major bearing on his role in the story, though. The character, beats, everything still plays out the same. Changing Kaa to a female is simply an artistic choice. :)
zOsirisS19985zX
said at 7:33 PM on Tue Apr 29 2014
@TylerMirage Well i guess i don't mind the new kaa, but what ever they do is do. :)
llawliet159
said at 9:54 PM on Mon Apr 28 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Scarlett Johannson as Kaa? Totally..she's already seductive enough to get that Snake role down LOL
bandrade8
said at 10:57 AM on Fri Jul 11 2014
@llawliet159 I totally agree with your comment!.
DravenRoth994
said at 3:43 PM on Mon Apr 28 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Scarlett Johansson as Kaa??!! Interesting choice, as well as Idris Elba. In the case of Lupita, I have yet to see 12 Years A Slave so I don't know what she can bring to this role. I'm still not really completely sold on this film yet. I'll just wait for a trailer of sorts.
pete
said at 2:26 PM on Mon Apr 28 2014
Scarlett or any female would work for any Kaa's seductiveness. Honestly I hope Hohn Goodman is Baloo again, I actually liked him, especially his delivery of Bare Necessities, and I hope King Louie is included, maybe with a Louis Armstrong type voice, instead of Louis Prima, due to the rights issue with it.
DVJ
said at 5:02 PM on Fri Aug 15 2014
@pete Louie is in it and he will be voiced by Christopher Walken.
pete
said at 4:04 PM on Mon Aug 18 2014
@DVJ I know, but this comment was before he was casted.
Mugenlazlo
said at 11:50 AM on Mon Apr 28 2014
But Kaa and Shere Khan are males, not females.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 12:45 PM on Mon Apr 28 2014
@Mugenlazlo Yeah, Shere Khan is a male. Hence why Idris is playing him.

And as for Kaa, there's a simple solution. Make Kaa female. It's as easy as adding an 'r' to the word 'he' or 'fe' to the word 'male'. ;) Being male really has no bearing on the character's role in the story, to my knowledge.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 9:26 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
I'm actually really 'for' everything I have heard about this film so far.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 8:25 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
Still don't care that much about the movie, but these are great casting choices.
GothamRed
said at 6:55 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
Scarlett Johansson is certainly a choice for Kaa. We'll see how it goes.
VctrBnsn
said at 6:24 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Scarlette Johansson as Kaa. Get ready for the fan art.

As for Luptia N'Yongo, the more I see from her the better.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 6:00 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
I wonder if Kaa will have a more 'seductive' tone in this movie. I'm actually curious in that regard
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 6:03 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
@Music Meister More like "sssssssssseductive", amirite?
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 6:17 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
@TylerMirage Boo
DreamMaster08X (Moderator)
said at 5:24 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
I'm ALL for Lupita as Rakcha, as I think she'd be one of my first choices for the role. But Scar Jo for Kaa.... .... .... .... ....what?

I mean, I'm totally not against genderbending voice-over roles (to an extent), and I'm certainly not against Johannson (I'm not a huge fan of hers, but she's still a good actress), but.... ....really? I have an INCREDIBLY hard time trying to picture her in the role in ANY way, shape, or form.

I guess in time, like Keaton for Batman, we'll see if Jo will truly stand out or not. But for the time being.... yeah, this gif is my only proper reaction.

CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 4:53 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
I'm wondering if they'll genderbend Bagheera as well as he tends to be in some adaptions.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 4:42 PM on Sun Apr 27 2014
Scar Jo as Kaa? I approve.
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS