Lord of the Rings Voice Compares
NEWS - Star Wars Episode 7 Coming Soon
Reported by OptimusSolo at 3:46 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012

[As Reported at the source listed below]

"Great news! The Force is coming to Disney!

Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm – the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilm’s operating businesses – including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.

Did you know? The Star Wars universe now has more than 17,000 characters inhabiting several thousand planets spanning 20,000 years. This gives Disney infinite inspiration and opportunities to continue the epic Star Wars saga. Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015. George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.

We’ve actually had a great working relationship with Lucasfilm for years -- with Star Wars and Indiana Jones themed attractions in our parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo. So, we’re starting with a strong foundation and compatible brands – and the addition of Lucasfilm Ltd. will support our growth strategy and create even more opportunity for Disney to create incredible entertainment and drive significant long-term value for our shareholders."

Source: The Walt Disney Company

Latest Comments

Zylphia
said at 1:56 PM on Sun Nov 11 2012
 1 Shout Out! [?]
I'm actually a little worried about this one. I've loved all 6 of the movies (some more than others lol), but I thought it was just fine for Lucas to end the movie series with just the 6 films. HE already has quite a lot of video game and tv show adaptations, so it makes me wonder if we really need a seventh movie. Oh well. All we can do is sit back and wait. But I hope to GOD that it isn't put in 3D That would just be so...ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
DravenRoth994
said at 1:29 PM on Sun Nov 11 2012
I may actually give this a shot. It can't be as bad as "Revenge of the Sith", that movie made me want to RIP my hair out.
said at 1:37 PM on Sun Nov 11 2012
@DravenRoth994 Curious, what was so wrong with Revenge of the Sith? I personally thought it was the best of the prequels. Maybe I'm just lacking in perspective, because I watched the movies chronologically (i.e. prequels first, then original trilogy).
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 4:12 AM on Tue Nov 20 2012
@DravenRoth994 Not only was Revenge of the Sith the best of the prequels I actually put it at 3rd overall in the franchise, never heard someone say negative things about it before so I am baffled right now!
DravenRoth994
said at 5:11 AM on Thu Nov 22 2012
@NCZ It was the best of the prequels, I'll give you that, but the acting was horrible, and I just could not stand Anakin in it. He never stops whining, and turned into a total idiot. I don't mean to sound rude, though I have hated this movie since I first saw it( and I was 11-12!). However, I admit that Episode 1 and 2 were worse.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:46 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
Personally, I like the idea of having a "trilogy of trilogies", especially when you start with the middle ("main") trilogy, go back and do a prequel trilogy, and then go forward with a sequel trilogy. Quite genius really.

A sequel trilogy has been rumored for decades, but I never thought it was be straight-up announced so suddenly like this.

The franchise is in good hands under Disney. They proved with Pirates of the Caribbean, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Avengers, that they know how to handle something like this without loosing the teen/adult audience.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:52 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Well said, couldn't agree with you more although it would have been even more genius to do the middle one, the sequel and then the prequel (just for the sake of using the actors when they were the right age etc)
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:36 AM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@PurpleWarrior13

What's this? Someone on the Internet actually thinking rationally rather than defaulting to senseless bashing? I THOUGHT YOU PEOPLE WERE EXTINCT. :-P
Fulgore2005
said at 7:59 PM on Sat Nov 10 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight Well, they aren't.

And I agree with PurpleWarrior13 on this one.
RamWorkz
said at 3:07 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
isnt Industrial Light & Magic responsible for some of the cgi in the transformers movies?
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 7:00 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@RamWorkz And, like, every other movie with CGI. ;-)
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 12:10 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
I'm excited about the potential and I ALWAYS wanted them to do sequels even before they did the prequels, who knows they may STILL be able to get some of the original actors to play their 'older' selves. I think there is a ton of possibilities for the direction they take things and will be interested to see what they decide to do. I also think that as much of a genius as Lucas was in creating this universe that he showed some of his weaknesses throughout the prequels and maybe its better that other people will be taking the helm, even though I know he probably still holds some type of creative control. All that being said, the only way this will work out well is if the people in charge have a passion for the story, the universe, the history etc and a respect for the massive fandom. If all this is to them is a money maker and they force themselves to rush a new movie out every 2-3 years then we could be in trouble. I suppose only time will tell if this is a good or bad thing for all of us passionate fans!
said at 12:38 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@OptimusSolo Like you said, I'm hoping that they put all of their passion and effort into these new movies. If they do, then these might turn out pretty good. But if they're just cranking them out to turn a profit, that'd be a problem.

Now, if they got Joss Whedon or somebody like that to write it, then I'd be completely sold.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:06 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@NCZ I agree with the part of your thinking which fears that people with no ties to the franchise could milk it just for money - I really only disagreed with you saying that there was 'no need' for more movies for the franchise :)
said at 3:16 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@NCZ More like George is trying to get cash off this. Same reason he made the films in 3-D.
said at 3:17 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@OptimusSolo Really I'm worried the creator of the franchise milking the franchise for money. We don't need more live action films when we have the Expanded Universe.
cardboardwalk
said at 6:19 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@OptimusSolo If we get lucky it could go the James Bond root. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not so much
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 7:00 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@pete

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that GL might be doing this for people who are actually interested and just throw out blind and overdone accusations. -_-
said at 9:08 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight Here's the thing. You don't know the facts. 3 was supposed to be it, he's been saying 3 was it for the past 7 years, The Expanded Universe did sequels he even considered the closest thing to a sequel trilogy, the next live action SW project was the tv series that Force is clearly not with, Lucas considers the Expanded Universe non-canon and this could adapt "Dark Empire"(the sequel trilogy that exists only in comics) or "Legacy" which takes place thousands of years later and has Luke's descendant or could retcon the Expanded Universe out of continuity when it's as old as the franchise itself pratically. Now for an opinion the 3D versions are completely unnecessary and have no real change and all he George Lucas gets is money out of them. I will see these but this is REALLY pushing it.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:49 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@pete You are really starting to anger me!!

First of all Lucas did NOT say there would NEVER be a sequel trilogy. He only said that because each trilogy takes 10-15 years to make (the way he makes them) that HE would not be making another trilogy. So let's not claim that he said things that he most certainly did not.

Second of all, although I always thought they should have done the sequel first since the actors would have been the perfect age back in the late 90s early 2000s, I don't see how you think it would be out of the question to include them now??? The sequel would obviously be set in the future (after episode 6 sometime) and naturally all the actors are older now so it would make perfect sense to use them. Why you think Anthony Daniels is somehow the only one they could use it just mind boggling and makes no sense.

Finally, Lucas is not doing this 'just for cash' I am SO SICK of people saying he does things 'just for cash'. This is his baby, this is his creation, he DID NOT put the movies out in 3-D for MONEY PURPOSES!! He did them that way because it was a way to introduce the movies to another generation of kids and it was a way he could utilize some technology and do things that he wasn't able to do before.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:51 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight EXACTLY!! I can't stand people who think GL is doing stuff or has done stuff with his pocket book or checking account in mind. Its ridiculous! Star Wars is this man's life for the most part and has been his creation and his baby. He even said it in an interview, the reason he released the films in 3-D was because there had been a good number of years since it was in the theatre which meant many kids in the new generation had NEVER been given the opportunity to experience the movies in the theatre. Stop with this 'milking' it nonsense people!!
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 5:30 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@OptimusSolo

What's ironic is that GL said that the haters are part of the reason he is retiring and handing the baton to the next generation, causing those same haters to rage. If this SW/Disney thing doesn't work out for the franchise, I'll know who to go after. :-P
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 5:33 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@pete Another hater called, he wants his argument back. ;-)
said at 2:56 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@OptimusSolo Sorry but it's just weird to me he suddenly decided to do this when his next project was the live action series and he said 3 was supposedly.
said at 2:59 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight I just found this suspicious since he said 3 was it and his next project was the live action series. I'm also concerned about the Expanded Universe since George considers it non-canon and he may retcon it(or part of it) out of continuity.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:24 AM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@pete once again he NEVER said 3 was 'it' he said it was 'it for HIM'. You keep bringing up that he said it was over and there wouldn't be any more but you aren't listening to what he actually said. He simply said he couldn't dedicate 10 more years of his life to making another trilogy...he never said he wouldn't let someone else do it!
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:37 AM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@pete Deal with it. XD
said at 3:34 PM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@OptimusSolo I typed that comment fast so mistakes happen.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 11:25 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
 2 Shout Outs! [?]
Great, now Han Solo and Chewie can meet Phineous and Ferb :/
said at 3:14 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@Music Meister and Mickey, Donald, and Goofy too.
GothamRed
said at 5:25 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@Music Meister They didn't do it with Marvel, so I think you're safe
said at 6:09 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@GothamRed You mean the crossover's canceled?
said at 6:10 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@Music Meister Wouldn't it be C-3PO and R2-D2?
GothamRed
said at 6:32 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@pete fraid so
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 6:58 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@Music Meister Thankfully SW isn't being run by dumbasses, so I wouldn't worry about stuff like that too much. ;-)
said at 9:08 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@GothamRed source?
GothamRed
said at 9:50 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@pete what source said it was happening definitively?
said at 10:52 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@GothamRed yep?
said at 10:53 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@GothamRed yes
GothamRed
said at 11:55 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@pete that...that doesn't answer the question I asked.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 12:09 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@GothamRed Wait, the Marvel/Phineous and Ferb crossover got cancled, for real :D
GothamRed
said at 12:21 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@Music Meister No, but it's harmless, like when green lantern crossover over with Daffy Duck
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 12:23 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@GothamRed damn it!
cardboardwalk
said at 7:08 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
NooooOOOOOOOooooo!!!!!
said at 6:57 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
 1 Shout Out! [?]
"Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future."

Milking the franchise? What's that?
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 8:29 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@NCZ

One SW film every three years is hardly anything new. That was how the OT and the PT were originally released.
said at 8:57 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight The problem is that creatively speaking, there's no need for more of the main-series, numbered movies. The story is complete as is. There's no need to add to it, save for corporate greed.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 12:10 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@NCZ I disagree - There was always a plan for three sequels and I very much would like to see more.
said at 3:20 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@NCZ "Milking" is letting it grow and grow just for money and I agree on the whole no more live action films thing.
said at 3:22 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@OptimusSolo Lucas supposedly scrapped it a few years back saying Episode 3 was it and that the live action series that the Force seems to be against was his next project.
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 2:48 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@pete He scrapped the idea of HIMSELF doing the sequel but he did not scrap the notion that someone else would be able to in the future at some point. You keep stating things as facts that just plain aren't man!
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 11:16 AM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@NCZ

So was Avatar: The Last Airbender, and yet we're currently getting The Legend of Korra. And no-one was accusing Mike and Bryan for milking the franchise...why?
said at 4:29 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@pete I know that. Twas sarcasm.
said at 4:30 PM on Thu Nov 1 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight I don't know anything about Avatar, so I can't speak for that. But from what I do know, Korra is a different story set in the same universe, taking place many years after the original show. It's not like it's, "Oh, look guys, even though the conflict's been resolved, Aang and friends are off on another adventure!" If the movies are like Korra, being in the same universe but having a different core cast of characters, then I'd be okay with that.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:37 PM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@NCZ Considering Mark and Carrie are pretty old and there's no way in hell that Harrison's gonna be playing Han Solo again, I think that would most likely be the case.
said at 10:17 PM on Fri Nov 2 2012
@TheVengeanceKnight True, but it's not impossible that they might focus on an older Luke and Leia or something. I've thought about it more and I'm pretty neutral on the matter now. These new movies will either be good, or they might not be. It's best to reserve judgement until we know more than "they exist".
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 4:46 AM on Sat Nov 3 2012
@NCZ "It's best to reserve judgement until we know more than "they exist".

Smarter words have never been said! Wish everyone on the internet could live by those words!!! :)
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 4:20 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
AFSDUKH;ALSDJOFOP2U3IYRHAIUWEFSK

I'M THROWING MONEY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING! XD

Seriously though, great news. Hopefully they'll let Dave Filoni have some input, he's been doing a great job with Star Wars: The Clone Wars for the last four years. :-)
Mr.Fennoy93
said at 3:55 AM on Wed Oct 31 2012
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
Wow OpSolo.

This is like the greatest News for you Ever.

Episode VII in 2015 with Avengers 2 & Justice League.
said at 3:23 PM on Wed Oct 31 2012
@Mr.Fennoy93 Maybe they can just cross them over into one big movie? Lol.
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS