NEWS - Pokemon: I Choose You! Gets a Limited Theatrical Run
Reported by NCZ on Mon Jul 31 2017

The next Pokemon movie, I Choose You!, will receive a limited theatrical release worldwide on November 5 and 6 this year.

Produced in order the commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Pokemon anime (which premiered in 1997), I Choose You! is a retelling of the series's first episode, showing not only how Ash and Pikachu met, but also expanding upon their quest to find the legendary Ho-oh, who famously appeared in the episode's ending. The movie will also debut a new legendary Pokemon called Marshadow, and see Ash pair up with new friends Sorrel and Verity.

The first Pokemon movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back, was the definition of an event when it hit international theatres in 1999, striking in the prime of Pokemania and grossing over $160 million worldwide. While its followup, Pokemon 2000, was similarly successful, albeit less so, Pokemon 3's box office numbers had declined greatly. The next two Pokemon movies, 4Ever and Heroes, only received limited releases; all movies since have been direct-to-video or TV in North America, with the exception of White: Victini and Zekrom, which received a two-day limited run.

With nostalgia and awareness of the Pokemon brand being on a high thanks to the series's 20th anniversary, clearly it seemed right that if any of its movies could make it to theatres, it'd be this one.

The theatres that will be showing the film are likely to be announced at a later date. Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You! has already been released in Japanese theatres, premiering on July 15. The series's current English voice director, Lisa Ortiz, will be in charge of its dub.

Source: variety.com

Comments

Regomania
said at 2:42 PM on Thu Aug 10 2017
I did a double take and thought that we were getting a revival of the pokemon musical.
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 6:14 PM on Thu Aug 17 2017
@Regomania One day...
ToonsJazzLover
said at 4:06 PM on Tue Aug 8 2017
I like both dubs, so it doesn't matter which voices is used for Ash. Regardless of the dub quality, I might be watching this.
FF91
said at 11:08 AM on Mon Aug 7 2017
I personally don't really care who dubs the movie, I'm finished with the anime regardless. All because of people who won't stop bashing or complaining about TPCi.
Soul-dragon
said at 6:10 PM on Tue Aug 8 2017
@FF91 You can still enjoy the anime and ignore the many people you bash TPCI.
Soul-dragon
said at 2:24 PM on Sat Aug 5 2017
Dang it, I just realized that Lisa Ortiz is directing this. This dub is going to suck.
Damalis
said at 4:34 AM on Tue Sep 12 2017
@Soul-dragon Why do you say that ?
Soul-dragon
said at 4:33 PM on Thu Sep 21 2017
@Damalis Because she's a terrible voice director. The voice sounds she picked for the sun and moon anime were God awful. Lillie sounded like an aunt with to much makeup and Lana sounded like she was always gasping for air. I 100% blame her. The voice actors are probably very talented, but she miscasted them. But then again what would she know about a good performance? She's never delivered one in her entire life.
Damalis
said at 5:59 PM on Thu Sep 21 2017
@Soul-dragon I think you're a bit too harsh. I personally liked her performance as Amy Rose in the Sonic franchise. I understand that you don't like her voice direction in general but it seems you're attacking her personally as well and that doesn't sit well with me.
tlemmens10
said at 8:52 AM on Fri Aug 4 2017
With this going back to the beginning, I would love for them to bring back Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis and Eric Stuart.
Stevemagegod
said at 8:07 PM on Wed Aug 2 2017
Give us more Origins. Seriously I love Ash and actually thinks he is a decent trainer but after watching Origins why dont they showcase more character development on Red and the other game characters and stuff?
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 7:47 PM on Fri Aug 4 2017
@Stevemagegod We essentially have Pokemon Generations for that.
SupremeTarantulas
said at 12:22 PM on Mon Aug 14 2017
@Scrappy-Fan92 But Origins was going to Johto so that particular Red was never developed.
RetroPokeFan
said at 2:31 AM on Wed Aug 2 2017
I'm hoping this gets a release in the UK too as it would be a shame if they missed us out. Also please don't screw the music up Mr Goldfarb, Sarah returning as Ash is the least of my worries here.

The film has some ace new versions of tracks from the original series and I think some stuff from the games too.
WrightWay
said at 4:55 AM on Mon Oct 9 2017
@RetroPokeFan
Yup. I find it really, really sad that a lot of music that 4Kids kept from the Japanese Version originally that was remixed by Shinji Miyazaki in Kanto-Hoenn dubs in the Anime, for Movie 20 (along with some of his own new compositions exclusive to this Movie) will be replaced by TPCi again, for Mr. Goldfarb's in house music here. I know Mr. Goldfarb is a nice man despite my frustration with his compositions, but I can't say I approve of TPCi's decision making here on that front (or well, on several other things over the years, but I digress).

I saw a fascinating video from a Pokemon fan on YouTube (the place of flame wars) that I think really puts into perspective how things are right now- TPCi's dub is going down a very dark road at this point on the whole imo, one that I can't say I fault some fans for being upset with:

Regardless, while I see this as being a popular Movie regardless, that doesn't necessarily mean the quality won't be very questionable- I feel like this could be dub Movies 1 and 2 all over again in that regard: history repeating itself, per se.
SupremeTarantulas
said at 9:21 PM on Tue Aug 1 2017
Aren't most anniversary special dubs handled in Calfornia?

Or is the Orgiins shorts etc.?
SupremeTarantulas
said at 12:25 PM on Wed Aug 2 2017
@SupremeTarantulas *is it
CaptainGrumpy
said at 8:42 PM on Wed Aug 2 2017
@SupremeTarantulas I think it was just Origins and Generations that went to Cali
Scrappy-Fan92
said at 2:36 PM on Tue Aug 1 2017
I've never seen a Pokemon movie in theaters. Perhaps it's time I changed that.
Stevemagegod
said at 8:00 PM on Wed Aug 2 2017
@Scrappy-Fan92 The 1st Pokemon Movies I saw in Movie Theaters as a Kid since im a 90s baby.
Anthonyiscool64
said at 2:36 PM on Tue Aug 1 2017
Oh boy! this is gonna be interesting! I would love to go see it if it ever gets released in theaters. I would love to see the original cast return for this!
Soul-dragon
said at 1:14 PM on Tue Aug 1 2017
Here are my hopes for this movie
1. If they want to play the nostalgia game then Veronica Taylor needs to return as Ash. Even though it's unlikely, she did say on Twitter that she'd like to do it.
2. No music should be replaced. Music replacement in a dub isn't always the worst thing in the world (look at the background music for the old dub of Sailor Moon) but TCPI's music is unfitting and makes the story confusing.
3. They need to get fitting voices for the characters. The voices in XY where OK, but most of the voices in Sun and Moon didn't match in the slightest.
tlemmens10
said at 8:54 AM on Fri Aug 4 2017
@Soul-dragon Veronica LOVES Ash. Apparantly she went into a depression after she had to quit Pokémon. That still pisses me off, that the guys who decided to change studio didn't realize what they were doing to others.
NitroEX
said at 1:39 PM on Sat Aug 5 2017
@Soul-dragon Replacement music isn't always bad, the Pokemon first movie soundtrack was mostly excellent, aside from a few questionable insert songs.

I too hope Veronica Taylor can reprise but I won't get my hopes up. These companies can be stingy and the fact that they haven't acknowledged Veronica or her fan support is a bad sign.
Soul-dragon
said at 2:23 PM on Sat Aug 5 2017
@tlemmens10 Yeah I heard about that. A lot of damage was done when TCPI took over the dub. This video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgtD7ABLASU clearly shows everything that happened. Honestly, nothing good came out of it.
@NitroEX Yeah, and its really dumb. Whenever a bunch of your fans are giving you criticism, it's always good to follow it (unless they want you to bring a character back from the dead or make their OTP canon). Just look at what happened when fans complained to Funimation about the cast of Daganronpa being replaced! They manged to bring back most of the second game's cast and cast some of the old VAs in new roles and that pleased some of them.
CaptainGrumpy
said at 9:03 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
honestly I hope they're planning something special for this and not just another thing thrown out at the last minute with the usual TPCi suspects, because we still are yet to hear anything about this dub other than the fact that it exists - and usually we get a trailer early in the year for it

they should go to NYAV Post (and hopefully stay there), then they can bring back some of the old favorites, because I honestly don't know if I feel comfortable hearing Natochenny Ash and Cathcart's characters try to recreate the magic the original version had
CaptainGrumpy
said at 8:43 PM on Wed Aug 2 2017
@CaptainGrumpy well **** Natochenny's Ash in this I guess

don't **** this up
said at 8:58 AM on Thu Aug 3 2017
@CaptainGrumpy

Natochenny has been Ash longer than Veronica Taylor has.
NitroEX
said at 1:41 PM on Sat Aug 5 2017
@NCZ I would say Veronica is still the definitive English voice of Ash. She set the tone for what the voice should be in English, Natochenny just mimicked that going forward.
said at 1:44 PM on Sat Aug 5 2017
@NitroEX

I mean I'm not denying that. Just saying bygones are bygones at this point.
Dimentionalist
said at 8:33 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
Would be really cool if they brought back some of the original English voice talent for this, but I highly doubt that will happen at this point.

Shame there's no new big game to cross promote with the movie. If they launched this alongside Pokemon Go or X/Y when those games original released I could see this being really successful overseas.
said at 8:40 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
@Dimentionalist

Well there's Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. But those probably aren't going to be as big as the originals. Still very successful, just S/M were more of an event if that's what you're getting at.
WrightWay
said at 5:51 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
The big difference here is 4Ever and Heroes were apparently in theaters for 30 days, whereas this one is only going in theaters for 2 days, on November 5th and 6th like #14.

I personally have no interest in the dub if it's the usual way it's been handled for the last few years, but to those who like it, I wish you the best of luck in enjoying it regardless.
WrightWay
said at 5:53 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
@WrightWay
When I say #14, I am referring to the aforementioned Victini Movie dub, and I do not recall the particular two days it was in theaters on that note, nor did I see it in them so I wouldn't be aware of that myself.
SupremeTarantulas
said at 2:44 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
Is the English version in theaters?

And is it dubbed by someone else/is Ash recasted?
Luigikun
said at 2:50 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
@SupremeTarantulas we have to wait and find out.
SupremeTarantulas
said at 3:01 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
@Luigikun I meant is he referring to the English version when he talks about it being in theaters.

I'm not big how many anime appears in American theaters undubbed, and he wasn't clear if it was still the Japanese version of this or not.
WrightWay
said at 5:49 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
@SupremeTarantulas
It's probably going to be dubbed by the usual DuArt/TPCi crew, no shock there, although I'll wait for the Japanese Version in this case.
Luigikun
said at 1:35 PM on Mon Jul 31 2017
Hope it will air on Oman!
6th Annual BTVA Voice Acting Awards 2016