NEWS - New Sailor Moon Animated Series Announced
Reported by PurpleWarrior13 at 2:02 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012

During a live stream celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Sailor Moon manga and anime series, series creator Naoko Takeuchi and publisher Kodansha revealed that a new animated adaptation of the franchise is in the works. The series is set to launch internationally in the Summer of 2013. It was also announced that the pop group Momoiro Clover Z will be performing the series theme song in place of DALI, the performers of the original theme song. No other details were given. Japanese voice actors Kotono Mitsuishi (Sailor Moon) and Toru Furuya (Tuxedo Mask) were present at the event, but it was not specified if they would be reprising their roles. While an American release wasn't specifically mentioned, Kodansha editor Fumio Osano mentioned that they intended to launch the series worldwide simultaneously. It wasn't specified if this new series will be a remake, sequel, or spinoff, or how many episodes it is planned to have, however, it was confirmed that the animated project is not a film.

The Sailor Moon comic (or "manga") series premiered in Japan in March 1992, and the animated adaptation premiered the same year. The anime premiered in North America in 1995, and the manga was originally released in 1997, but is currently undergoing a re-release featuring lightly revised artwork. The franchise is often considered a gateway into anime for many fans, and has remained a classic worldwide. Voice actors Terri Hawkes (Sailor Moon), Katie Griffin (Sailor Mars), Susan Roman (Sailor Jupiter), Stephanie Beard (Sailor Mini-Moon), Vince Corazza (Tuxedo Mask), and Ron Rubin (Artemis) have also been appearing at anime conventions across North America celebrating the series' 20th Anniversary.

Source: Anime News Network

Latest Comments

SBW
said at 12:12 AM on Fri Aug 31 2012
They better get Terri Hawkes, Liza Balkin, Katie Griffin, Susan Roman and Stephanie Morgenstern and the rest of the original english cast back and not hire new voice actors for the dub!
PurpleWarrior13
said at 3:28 AM on Fri Aug 31 2012
@SBW If they get one of the original voices back for Mercury, it should definitely be Karen Bernstein (the first one), who's more known in the role anyway. Liza Balkan was only a long-term replacement/sound-alike to Karen. Frankly, I don't think either voice would return, same for Stephanie Morgenstern as Venus, who's gone on to better things, like creating FLASHPOINT (though I personally preferred Emilie Barlow as Venus).
Carmen
said at 1:33 AM on Tue Aug 21 2012
 1 Shout Out! [?]
I hope toei does the dubbing themselves and reuse the old voice actors for the new series. I hope toei is smarter than nintendo and gets the old voice actors that have made the anime so awesome
said at 3:04 PM on Tue Aug 21 2012
@Carmen What did Nintendo do?
PurpleWarrior13
said at 7:14 PM on Tue Aug 21 2012
@NCZ Probably referring to their handling of the Pokemon franchise (though that situation is much more complicated than that).

I honestly wouldn't mind some of the old voices returning. I know many wouldn't, but Terri Hawkes, Katie Griffin, Susan Roman, Ron Rubin, Vince Corazza, and Stephanie Beard are all interested in reprising their roles. Toei actually produced the English dub of the 3rd and 4th seasons, and did attempt to get all the original voices back (with little success due to the crazy recording period), so we'll see how it goes. They're also doing the English dub of Digimon Xros Wars with Studiopolis as we speak.
pokemastanumba1
said at 10:47 PM on Wed Aug 29 2012
@Carmen buddy you need to get your facts straight.

Nintendo is NOT involved with the English dub of Pokemon in any way, shape, or form. DuArt and PUSA/TPCi are the only ones who have worked on it since 4Kids and TAJ Productions abandoned the series. Nintendo only handles the video games, which are completely separate.

I apologize for going a bit off-topic, but I needed to get that across.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 12:04 AM on Thu Aug 30 2012
@pokemastanumba1 Pokemon International is a subsidiary of Nintendo. In a way, Nintendo indirectly oversees that production.

But I do agree with his point that Toei could potentially handle this property. I especially think it's likely since they are no strangers to the handling the Sailor Moon English dub.
pokemastanumba1
said at 11:00 AM on Thu Aug 30 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Well yes, Nintendo may have background connections, but they're still not at all responsible for anything to do with the dub whatsoever (such as replacing the original 4Kids cast). I'm just growing weary of people making Nintendo the big scapegoat. :O

Back on-topic, I'm not sure about Toei. It's not quite as active as it used to be, and the story of this upcoming series looks pretty new.
TheMisakiDubs
said at 4:30 PM on Sat Aug 11 2012
Oh my goodness!
rephead
said at 9:02 PM on Tue Jul 31 2012
I can't wait!! If this ever get dubbed I hope the right voice actors get picked.
SailorMoonROCKS4
said at 12:14 AM on Sun Jul 15 2012
YAY! They should do it Cloverway's way and DiC's way!
MaryKosmos
said at 11:55 AM on Sun Jul 15 2012
@SailorMoonROCKS4 Agreed!
Carmen
said at 5:00 AM on Fri Aug 31 2012
@SailorMoonROCKS4 I would love for toei to make some dic style music. :) lol, I liked the dic music better for sailor moon.
MaryKosmos
said at 9:04 PM on Fri Aug 31 2012
@Carmen Same... :)
Trami0501
said at 11:58 PM on Fri Jul 13 2012
Happy 20th Anniversary, Sailor Moon!
moonfox
said at 10:41 AM on Wed Jul 11 2012
 3 Shout Outs! [?]
Funimation needs to get the rights and get a whole new cast to voice the characters. There are many greats who are there with the company and others out in the field now that would make the show even better.
UltimateSSJ4GokouEX
said at 9:24 PM on Wed Jul 18 2012
@moonfox Agreed.
I'm hoping it's going to follow the manga.
SBW
said at 1:04 PM on Sat Aug 25 2012
@moonfox No! I DON'T want Funimation to get it, I DON'T want a new cast, I want Terri Hawkes, Liza Balkin, Katie Griffin, Susan Roman, Stephanie Morgenstern, Vincent Corazza, Ron Rubin, and the rest of the original cast back. All new cast....PLEASE..... I'd rather drink my own vomit!!!
Carmen
said at 5:01 AM on Fri Aug 31 2012
@SBW Toei will probably dub it themselves. ;)
MaryKosmos
said at 7:07 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
I guess it's good news and bad news for me...

Good News is hurray for one of my favorite anime! It'll be nice to see something I grew up with back on the big screen...

Bad News is inevitable. I just hope it doesn't get targeted by you-know-what. That would ruin my childhood forever...

This is just MY personal opinion, so I don't need any complaining...
SLEDGERAID
said at 4:45 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
Sailor Moon aaaaaah!!! Idk if it was this or Speed Racer that introduced me to anime but its pretty cool that they making a new show, I just hope its not all fan servicy
MaryKosmos
said at 7:08 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@SLEDGERAID Same here, but we're not so sure what this new Sailor Moon series is going to contain yet... But still, I pray no fanservice in this amazing anime...
dwibs93
said at 5:09 AM on Wed Jul 11 2012
@MaryKosmos Fanservice is alright as long as it's occasional, not all over the place.
MaryKosmos
said at 3:48 PM on Wed Jul 11 2012
@dwibs93 I guess so...
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 12:40 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
 1 Shout Out! [?]
Jumping the gun are we?

When they say "launch the series worldwide simultaneously" I'm pretty sure they mean an online stream with subtitles in multiple languages an hour or so after the episodes air on TV in Japan.

I have a hard time believing this will be a Gundam Unicorn situation where the Japanese audio and English audio tracks are released together at the same time for a physical release (DVD/Blu-ray), but even if it's supposed to be a TV airing situation (where regardless of timezone the episodes air at the same time) it still seems unlikely.

I seriously doubt it would be a DVD/Blu-ray release because Japan has always been uptight about waiting periods for international DVD/Blu-ray releases because of reverse importation fears.

Plus from the stories I've heard, the English cast & crew of the Gundam Unicorn dub work like hell to meet the release date and that's just for an OVA every few months.

An ongoing TV series seems impossible unless everybody in the dubbing business (in multiple countries) wants to sacrifice sleep. :)

Sorry to be the guy who stomps on dreams but I'm 99.999% sure the worldwide launch is streaming (Japanese audio w/ dozens of different subtitle options).

I'm sure the show will eventually see a physical release (and dubs) in the future but it would be the same like any other series.

*Wait for an entire season to be available to license (est 6 months after those episodes are released in Japan's domestic home video market)
*3-4 months dubbing it
*1-2 months marketing & manufacturing the discs and packaging

= 1 year later to wait to own the dub on DVD/Blu-ray
PurpleWarrior13
said at 1:07 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Jackson_H I was just repeating what the article said. ;)
Pokejedservo (Moderator)
said at 1:49 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Jackson_H Alright Jackson you do raise a valid point but while I do realize that you said is quite possibly correct we still don't know for sure what is going to happen just yet.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 5:15 PM on Mon Jul 9 2012
@Jackson_H In addition, I have also watched the original live stream where this was announced, and the announcement itself was first made by Momoiro Clover Z at JapanExpo in France, and in the basic first announcement, they mentioned that it would be released around the world simultaneously (the second phrase actually). Them announcing it after their performance in France was to likely establish an "international connection" (which likely means much more than just a stream in a foreign language). It helps that a new French publication of the manga was also mentioned there by them. Heck, Momoiro Clover Z also said that they will do their best singing the theme song because "the whole world will be hearing our voices" implying that this is very much going to be an international thing.

I'm pretty sure this anime production is going to be handled much differently than most titles and may likely premiere on US TV only a short while after Japan (that's what many fans are predicting). Sailor Moon is one of the most popular anime titles of all time, and was a huge merchandising sensation all around the world in it's heyday. It's likely in a similar situation as Ninja Turtles, MLP, Care Bears, Transformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, Dragon Ball Z, and several other "nostalgia" properties that are being revived for a new generation. That's the impression most of us are getting (heck, DBZ is done by the same studio. DBZ and SM are most definitely Toei's biggest properties out of production).
Foxwolf (Admin)
said at 11:55 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
It's been so long, I look forward to the upgrade in animation, esp in the transformations and attacks. The battles will hopefully be more intense and have choreography.
Minty123
said at 10:56 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
I'm SUPER happy!!!! I just can't wait for the re-release! I just hope that they will make a new english dub.
MaryKosmos
said at 12:08 PM on Mon Jul 9 2012
@Minty123 I too am excited, but I thought the original voices weren't so bad...
Minty123
said at 11:44 AM on Sun Jul 15 2012
@MaryKosmos I liked the voices too but do they still have the right to use the old dubs?
MaryKosmos
said at 11:55 AM on Sun Jul 15 2012
@Minty123 I don't know, but as long as they're able to use the same voice actors, then it's fine by me... The slightest change would be an immediate disappointment.... Though Japan's gotta pick a new seiyu for Sailor Pluto because her original seiyu is retired...
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:39 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
I'm SO FREAKIN EXCITED about this! This is what fans have been waiting for for YEARS! I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with this! It's been nearly a decade since any new Sailor Moon material to come out!

Since this is supposed to be launched worldwide simultaneously, it's possible Toei might produce the English dub themselves (hopefully WITHOUT Blue Water, who produces most of Toei's English dub work).
Pokejedservo (Moderator)
said at 12:19 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Yeah considering that this show will be released in the US at the same time it is in Japan I do think that TOEi will be behind the English voice work themselves. Though it is possible that they could be using Ocean/Vancouver though like what they are doing for the European English release of DB Kai. Or they could try to get the original English voice cast back as much as possible (or a bit of both since both Ocean and Optimum are in Canada and they can get any returning cast members to Vancouver). Though American based voice talent is still quite a possibility as well.

However I could be wrong but I do think this will be a bit more than just "the original series but with new animation" since DBZ Kai didn't do so well despite TOEi's efforts. But at this point who knows...
PurpleWarrior13
said at 1:28 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Pokejedservo Well, Toei USA (as "Cloverway") produced the English dub for Sailor Moon seasons 3-4 with Optimum Productions reprising their duties from their work from seasons 1-2 with DiC (though they unfortunately were unable to get many key cast members back). So they might possibly get them back to do this (Terri Hawkes has mentioned that she is interested in reprising her role of Sailor Moon). They also used LA talent (Phuuz) for Bobobo... They did also use Vancouver talent for PPGZ (I believe that was Toei). But from what I've seen, Calgary is their town...
I'm not sure what's going on with the Ocean dub of DBZ Kai...

I also agree that it's doubtful that this'll be anything like DBZ Kai as far as re-editing goes since Sailor Moon was VERY different from the manga in many ways, more than just "adding in stuff". DBZ Kai's cancelation was more due to the merch. That very well could also happen for this, as Sailor Moon has five major story arcs to cover (assuming this is a reboot).

Though Jackson did bring up a point: we really don't know exactly what they plan on doing with this internationally. It's possible it might launch on American TV around the same time as Japan, since they are ALREADY advertising new toys and merchandise in Italy, I wouldn't completely jump the gun. Though I'd prefer somebody OTHER than FUNi dub this. Sailor Moon is a Canadian thing as far as voice acting goes, always has been, and I'd prefer it to stay that way for it to keep it's identity. However, I wouldn't mind New York or California talent to take it on as well. I'm mostly just sick of hearing the same 15 Dallas or Houston actors in pretty much everything (that includes you Monica Rial!).
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 3:03 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
The chances of Funimation getting this title is very slim considering they have been trying to licence the anime for many years now but perhaps the reboot will finally be opportunity that Funimation needs to bring the anime to the English speaking world once again only time will tell.
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 4:22 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
@IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE Considering the monopoly they have on the dubbing industry, they're the only ones that can do it, anyway :/
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:30 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
@IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE Actually, it's VERY likely that this series will be released in the US, likely by FUNimation, but we can't be too certain. This is supposed to be launched "worldwide simultaneously" in the Summer 2013.

As for the original series, it's been relicensed internationally, and it still might get a re-release in the US, but the chances of a redub aren't as likely.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 4:34 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
@CatsTuxedo They don't have a monopoly. Sentai has also been dubbing a whole lot (almost as much as FUNimation actually), and have been releasing fewer and fewer titles sub-only. Viz continues to release anime (ALWAYS with an English dub), Aniplex and Bandai Visual also have most of their titles dubbed (Aniplex with Bang! Zoom and Bandai Visual with NYAV Post).
CatsTuxedo (Moderator)
said at 4:46 PM on Fri Jul 6 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Well derp, shows what I know -_-; Guess it must be the fact that Funimation gets so much more publicity that threw me to that conclusion.
Pokejedservo (Moderator)
said at 12:23 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Well FUNimation is not the only living dub company but they are certainly the most active one. At least Sentai is being more active while companies such as Viz and Bandai are still around but not as much. (At least Viz still has Bleach and to a lesser extent Naruto to rely on. Granted Inuyasha Final Act is suppose to be finally coming soon but that is a different story).
PurpleWarrior13
said at 2:15 AM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Pokejedservo I dunno. Sentai's catalog of dubbed titles is quite large. FUNimation gets most of the well-known stuff, and Sentai gets most of the rest. FUNimation really doesn't dub more than a dozen series a year, and Sentai is roughly the same. :)
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:19 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Pokejedservo

Actually VIZ is showing potential now that they have their upcoming "Neon Alley"; a subscription dubbed anime streaming initiative.

Guess they're finally improving their anime division after years of complaints that they only focus on manga.

They plan to dub:

*Zetman
*Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
*Lagrange – The Flower of Rin-ne-
*Tiger & Bunny
*Berserk Movies
*Naruto: Shippuden
(new episodes still released on itunes every few months but there's been no other legal outlet since Disney XD cancelled it)

And although it's an Aniplex USA title Blue Exorcist is being dubbed too and will be shown on Neon Alley.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:26 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@PurpleWarrior13

Actually if you want precise numbers FUNimation releases about 30 new dubbed titles each year. :)

So far this year Sentai has released around 20 new dubbed titles and they still have more expected dubbed titles to be released in the remaining unsolicited months for this year.

Sentai is quickly closing the gap though they still release a lot of sub-only stuff to keep costs down that wouldn't benefit from including a dub if they're very niche stuff and wouldn't even break even to cover dub production costs.
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 4:19 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Jackson_H The potential that Neon Alley has is quite good so hopefully it meets Viz's expectations in its first year run its just great that Viz is finally dubbing more anime again after a four year dry spell where it was nothing but Bleach and Naruto!(granted Kekkaishi and Monster were dubbed in the last two years)This means more voice work for the LA voice actors which is always excellent news.
Pokejedservo (Moderator)
said at 8:49 PM on Sat Jul 7 2012
@Jackson_H This "Neon Alley" is rather interesting news, though VAST as much as I do like Californian VA talent I do hope that Ocean will be used at all. What can I say? I have always been a fan of Vancouver based VA talent and shows like Death Note are fine proof that Viz can still use Ocean well. But if not well at least there is still Inuyasha Final Act.
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS