Lord of the Rings Voice Compares
NEWS - Lucille Bliss: 1916-2012
Reported by community member Telme22 at 8:14 PM on Sat Nov 10 2012

According to animator Dave Nimitz, veteran voice actress Lucille Bliss passed away from natural causes.

Born in New York City on March 31, 1916, Lucille Teresa Bliss was one of the most venerable voice artitsts in the industry and unequivocally one of the most enduring. Within her 70+ year long career, she's made a name for herself as the voice of the titular character in Crusader Rabbit, one of the first major cartoons for both the legendary Jay Ward and for television in general. Her voice graced several Disney features including Cinderella, where she portrayed the younger step-sister Anastasia Tremaine, and 101 Dalmatians, where she can be heard singing the "Kanine Krunchies" jingle. More recently, many would probably recognize her as the aptly named Ms. Bitters from Invader Zim or as Northern Water Tribe healer Yugoda from Avatar: The Last Airbender. However, Bliss will probably be best remembered as the voice of Smurfette, the much adored female character of The Smurfs.

Outside of the realm of animation, Bliss hosted The Happy Birthday To You Show on the local ABC/KRON-TV channel in San Francisco from 1950 to 1957. She narrated the stories of Thumper, the White Rabbit, and Grandpa Bunny on the Disney Album Peter Rabbit and Other Funny Bunnies. In 1999, she received a Former Child Star Lifetime Achievement Award for her work in Cinderella. About a year later, she was one of three recipients of the Windsor McCay Award at the 28th Annual Annie Awards, an honor no legend like herself should be without.

It truly goes without saying, but it is true that both Lucille and her voice will be missed by millions.

Source: cartoonbrew.com

Latest Comments

demon-rabbit94
said at 4:29 AM on Fri Feb 8 2013
it is so tragic, she's such a talented actress, :'(
her memory will live on through her characters
i miss her already...
RNB
said at 9:13 PM on Wed Dec 19 2012
I'm really concerned about June Foray now. She's only a year younger than Lucille was. I hope June has trained someone to do her voices when she does go.
Gatch
said at 8:14 AM on Tue Jun 4 2013
@RNB Poor L bliss... Poor June too... She said she had been replaced by someone else to do the voice for Natasha Fatal, so she defiantly has understudys. Although she can still do the squirrels voice 100 percent from Rocky and Bull W.
dreamer
said at 9:12 AM on Thu Nov 22 2012
OMG!!!! :( I literally gasped when I read this! I feel so sad now. I look up to her a lot and her voice acting and I had wanted to meet her some day. Just the other day I was thinking about how great it was that she was still alive and not long ago I posted on her page saying the same thing. I even watched Cinderella recently and a lot of Smurfs!

Seems like I'm cursed. This happened to me not long ago with another celeb ironically.
Telme22
said at 6:02 PM on Tue Nov 27 2012
@dreamer

Wow, we're two of a kind. I was thinking not too long ago about how awesome it would be if I got into the business and met her. Or even just meeting her at all. Boy, was I disappointed.
Trami0501
said at 12:40 AM on Sun Nov 18 2012
I going miss Lucille Bliss!
Gyt Kaliba
said at 6:11 PM on Tue Nov 13 2012
I'm sad to say that the main thing I know her for is Mrs. Bitters, but that role alone was amazingly done, enough so to make me a fan. Godspeed Mrs. Bliss, may your work live on in the hearts of kids and fans alike. :(
MaryKosmos
said at 10:17 AM on Tue Nov 13 2012
Lucille Bliss will ALWAYS be the Smurfette for me...
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS