NEWS - Illumination and Nintendo Team Up For Mario Movie
Reported by NCZ on Wed Jan 31 2018

Nintendo made a major announcement during their strategy briefing for investors today: They are teaming up with Illumination Entertainment (Despicable Me, The Secret Life of Pets, Sing) to develop a movie based on Mr. Video Game himself, Mario.

Mario's creator himself, Shigeru Miyamoto, will be involved as a producer, alongside Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri. No release date or further information has been given at the moment.

This will mark Mario's first appearance on the big screen ever since the infamous American adaptation in 1993, Super Mario Bros., starring the late Bob Hoskins as the mustachioed plumber, and John Leguizamo as his brother who wasn't. Mario has worn many hats, literally and figuratively, since his debut in 1981's Donkey Kong - driving karts, being a doctor, playing sports, partying, going through space, dressing as a cat, teaming up with rabid bunnies, and flattening himself into paper, providing no shortage of potential ideas to build off for a film.

Nintendo have been riding high ever since the launch of their latest console, Nintendo Switch, this past March. Today they announced the system has sold nearly 15 million units worldwide, with Mario's latest adventure, Super Mario Odyssey, selling a massive 9 million copies. With their video game business in better shape than ever, and a Universal theme park planned for the next few years, it's no understatement to claim that big things are on the horizon for Nintendo.

Source: twitter.com

Comments

FanGuy67
said at 4:55 PM on Sat Feb 24 2018
Well, most movies based on video games are pretty bad, so let's how this movie and the upcoming Rampage movie goes.
KhFan-D98
said at 7:38 PM on Thu Feb 22 2018
Well, huh. It's animated, Nintendo and Miyamoto are actually involved in it, and Illumination's a pretty good studio. This could actually be really good!
Aussieroth
said at 3:33 PM on Wed Feb 7 2018
... So far, there have only been two VG to animated series adaptions that have been great: Sonic SATAM and Castlevania... Here's hoping that this will be no.3. Here's hoping again that a Zelda movie done by the Ghibli crew will be next.
ScraftyIsTheBest
said at 6:26 PM on Sun Feb 4 2018
Hopefully this film turns out great. Many movie/animated adaptations of video games have historically been not very good, here's hoping Nintendo can make this one great. Nintendo's been killing it in 2017, hope they keep up their great streak.
Shaun Ince
said at 3:50 PM on Thu Feb 1 2018
Seeing as Nintendo is involved, they won't be any studio meddling or interference(I hope) Which gives me a good feeling that this Mario movie will be good.
Jacob M. Keene
said at 12:41 PM on Thu Feb 1 2018
I look forward to this.
AnimeGirl32
said at 7:47 AM on Thu Feb 1 2018
YAY!! 8D
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 10:28 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
This looks very promising. I hope it turns out great, and that it finally sets a solid standard for video game film adaptions going forward.
SteelEthlan
said at 9:54 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
No doubt that thry're gonna use the CGI style for this film so obviously it'll be just Mario with some fashion.

I'll have to wait and see about it though.
DravenRoth994
said at 9:44 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
It's really happening!! Since Nintendo is involved, I actually have hope.
SpongeBat1
said at 9:16 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
It can't be worse than the live action one.

"Monkey!"
Troodon2
said at 7:22 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
As long as they cast actual voice actors, and promote better advertising than Ratchet and Clank I'm all for it.

(I'm not opposed to celebrities btw, but even if they do, they should cast actors who they feel can totally act the part of the characters and aren't just there for publicity)
said at 6:17 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
This is long, long, LONG overdue, but the fact that Nintendo and especially Miyamoto are involved makes me really hopeful that this will be good. Mario has been on a roll lately so it'll be exciting to see what they can come up with for a movie.

Honestly this also just makes me really thirsty about the idea of more Nintendo movies, expanding them beyond video games. I loved the Animal Crossing movie, and my #1 dream adaptation has always been a 2D Zelda movie based on Ocarina of Time. If they did something crazy and got Ghibli or Disney, that'd be a dream come true for me.
SNaG
said at 8:25 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
@NCZ

Plot twist, the movie is just stitched together cutscenes from the Zelda CDI games.
SNaG
said at 8:32 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
@NCZ

Facetiousness aside, I'm cautiously optimistic since I'm not too thrilled with most (actually... I think it's all) of Illumination's output. Obviously my opinion, but they feel like celebrity-stuffed rote stories with solid at best animation and a host of meh writing.

I don't want to be like "this is the worst idea ever!" since I would love to see a Nintendo animated movie, and Disney/Ghibli, like you mentioned, would be crazy but amazing. I just don't think Illumination can produce anything more than serviceable.
said at 8:39 PM on Wed Jan 31 2018
@SNaG

I'm not a huge fan of Illumination myself, but Nintendo's history with games show that when they're involved, even developers who usually aren't that great can shine.

Like Silicon Knights made Eternal Darkness under nintendo. Without them they made Too Human and X-Men Destiny which are two of the worst games ever made. MercurySteam made Lords of Shadow which was okay, but not generally considered anything too special, but then they made a GREAT Metroid 2 remake. I dunno, I just think if that applies to their moviemaking process, Nintendo's guiding touch should hopefully be enough to steer this in the right direction.
SNaG
said at 1:07 PM on Sat Feb 3 2018
@NCZ

Ah, that's a good point. AFAIK, Illumination hasn't done adaptations or anything of the like, so maybe the hand of Nintendo will finally help them make a really good movie. I certainly hope your theory is correct!
Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon