NEWS - Funimation To Dub Dragon Ball Super
Reported by NCZ on Fri Nov 4 2016

After around a year-and-a-half of anticipation, it has finally been announced that Funimation will be dubbing the Dragon Ball sequel series, Dragon Ball Super.

No word was given on when said dub will be made available, but it is now in production, and Funimation have obtained distribution rights for home video in the US and Canada. They will begin simulcasting the show this weekend, and have added a selection of subtitled episodes to their library (with more to come later).

The Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai and any sort of dub for said series's Buu saga are still missing in action.

Source: ign.com

Comments

Mindlesszombiegamer
said at 3:59 PM on Mon Jan 16 2017
If your looking for anyone to do voice acting I'm here
Simon DLSea
said at 2:23 AM on Wed Dec 21 2016
Rock on! Funimation use some of my favorite VAs!
Angelvoiceover
said at 5:50 PM on Sat Dec 10 2016
So are there any VO roles to be filled??
SilverSkyride
said at 8:46 AM on Tue Nov 8 2016
In the words of Abridged Korrin "Twas never a matter of if, only when."
The Ear of One
said at 10:04 PM on Mon Nov 7 2016
so Funimation wil dub it
oh yeah
still I wished they would have done Buu Saga. a las that ownt happen huh?
SteelEthlan
said at 1:03 PM on Thu Nov 10 2016
@The Ear of One They're still working on that.

Also, it's no brainer that FUNimation of all dubbing companies would be dubbing this one, as we don't speak much about.
The Ear of One
said at 12:06 PM on Wed Nov 23 2016
@SteelEthlan still working on it?
after so many years and even dubbing the newest movies I thought they would have done it by now. I guess I am to afraid to ask if thats bad news.
SteelEthlan
said at 7:51 PM on Fri Nov 25 2016
@The Ear of One Movies and games about Dragon Ball is what they're performing it for years, of course they're still working on that.
Darth Bugs
said at 10:22 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
All right! I was getting a little worried there.
FUNiman
said at 10:52 AM on Sat Nov 5 2016
Just gimme that Kai Buu saga and I can die fulfilled.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 12:28 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@FUNiman
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 1:01 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@FUNiman Argh at that last "comment"...

They're obviously waiting for the current Cell Arc airing to finish.

From Geekdom & other fan videos, from what I can tell, the majority seems to mainly care about the Japanese release (pssh, typical anime fans), & then people who don't usually care about anime (but loved the DBZ dub growing up), excited about a new "DBZ show", expecting the dub.

In between these, there are "usually sub-only anime fans who prefer the dub because nostalgia & wider community"...who expect Toei to be quick with licensing/allowing a dub to be made because the dub is "the preferred viewing experience" lol.

In all seriousness, while Toei *is* being really silly & kind of ignorant in regards to international fandom..people really should look to understand *why* what is going on...is going on.

I mean, with a fandom as niche & hardcore as the anime fandom...wouldnt you expect that?
FUNiman
said at 7:04 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed I guess I'm a rare exception, I didn't get into DB through Toonami when I was really young but rather being a bored high school kid with nothing to do and I just watched every anime I saw online dubbed at the time (nowadays I mix and match based on the show).

I can understand people not understanding the whole licensing schtick (I don't fully understand licensing practices either) but I wish they stopped harassing VAs about it like somehow that'll solve their lack of a dub or for the more annoying sub elitists somehow get their wish of preventing a dub's existence.
UK-Otaku
said at 4:41 AM on Sat Nov 5 2016
Hell yeah!!
Zillah
said at 11:58 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
It was never a matter of if... only when.
SilverSkyride
said at 8:49 AM on Tue Nov 8 2016
@Zillah And ya beat me to the punch
itsmedeadpool
said at 9:35 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
I wonder if Laura Bailey will reprise Kid Trunks. Asking this is although she reprised him in Xenoverse 2, Alexis Tipton provided Gotenks' other fusion voice in the game.
SNaG
said at 10:30 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@itsmedeadpool Normally I would blanket say "Alexis because Laura is really busy," but the strike may make Laura less busy as far as video game VO goes (unless she took up a bunch of projects that don't fall under the strike's time window).
Jason Wade
said at 5:22 PM on Fri Nov 25 2016
@SNaG A lot of the time the games shuffle around cast for characters. Sabat played characters in Xenoverse 2 he hasn't played since the original dub. It's low priority. When it comes to the anime though, I'm sure they'll get her back.
SNaG
said at 2:11 PM on Wed Nov 30 2016
@Jason Wade Nope, apparently it's Alexis.

Redeye64
said at 8:48 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Knew this would happen eventually. Thanks Toei and Funimation. If you want my opinion on why there's been no word on the Buu Kai front, its probably because initially that Mayumi Tanaka (Krillin's JA voice) said the Buu Kai episodes were supposed to be produced for the overseas market exclusively. However, when the sudden word that it would be broadcast in Japan was announced, Toei had to merge/re-edit some episodes for that purpose so a big jumble occurred, causing it to be delayed indefinitely. That's why Kyle Hebert announced that they were in the process of dubbing the Buu saga only for FUNimation to recant saying there were no plans for a dub. It was simply matter of bad timing. This is all just my opinion of course.
HylianBelmont
said at 7:58 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Glad to hear about this!
DarkWhite
said at 7:10 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Nice. But I'm still wondering whats going on with the Buu saga
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 12:28 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@DarkWhite This is the sort of comment that annoys me, at least when it comes from someone whose only real concern is "I want to own subbed Blurays/DVDs of the show, who cares about some silly dub"

(Really nice guy, but he's kind of missing the point here).

While DB generally has stuck to Japan-only in its "international" interest (unlike, say, Naruto, which got a union dub supervised by the creators), mainly because it's *Toei* handling the licensing...The way this show was dubbed, brought in a HUGE influx of fans who previously weren't interested in anime at all, & even *many* fans who *didnt* enjoy further (even similar) anime such as Naruto/OP/Bleach/HxH, or other non-battle-shonen shows like NGE or say Haruhi.

* & while Toei certainly is lazy as hell with their foreign licensing (despite, y'know, being *the* most recognizable anime/manga worldwide)...they still want to make as much money as possible off of it.

...& what's the furthest, most surefire way to hit an audience? Why, TV, of course. & how to air the episodes? (This is key) *in order*.

All this drawing out of my comment meaning...they're airing it after the Cell Arc finishes, uncut, on TV.
Ghosty404
said at 6:14 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Less news and more inevitability, in my opinion..
Nightmare Crusher
said at 6:08 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Speaking of missing in action, what happened to the Toonami Asia broadcast?
Kioea
said at 2:33 AM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@Nightmare Crusher I think I read on their site that they were only doing the subbed version until an English version was available, rather than commissioning their own dub.
said at 6:02 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
Right off the bat I have to say it's quite frankly insane that in this day and age, when we're dealing with probably the most well-known manga/anime in the world we even had to wait this long for an announcement, but at least it's finally happening. Thanks Toei.
SNaG
said at 8:50 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@NCZ It is such a mystery why they act like this. Dragon Ball is literally guaranteed to sell and be put on TV, yet they delayed the whole process for a year and a half. Funi could easily have done a broadcast dub of it and it would have been popular.
said at 9:02 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@SNaG

Aren't Toei notoriously awful when dealing with their overseas licensors? I heard that they've bungled the handling of Sailor Moon and some other series like that as well. I have a strong feeling all of this is entirely on them just being too insular/selfish/short-sighted.
SNaG
said at 9:06 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@NCZ I'll rephrase my previous comment. Yes, Toei is disorganized as hell, and just generally awful (and a pretty bleh animation studio, but that's a separate beast...). It's a mystery why they still are so disorganized and why they have that weird worldview.
said at 9:17 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@SNaG

Oh shoot, yeah, I misread. Sorry bout that.

I don't know. I've never really looked into Toei. Honestly I think in cases like that, I see a lot of similar types of companies to that and really it just comes down to a long line of ancient higher-ups who are stuck in the ancient ways of the previous higher-ups. Maybe some haughtiness, and probably other sociocultural influences as well mixed in there. It all adds together to create a sort of corporate culture that's hard to break out of. Which I guess wouldn't be ideal for international relations...
SNaG
said at 9:23 PM on Fri Nov 4 2016
@NCZ No worries, I also worded my first comment vaguely.

That's probably true, given what I know about Japanese work culture, especially amongst the older generation. It's a possible explanation for negative stories regarding Toei's licenses like you described.

Still, let's be glad that the DBZ Super dub is actually happening in the near future. With Funimation's insane output these days, as long as the wrangle up most of the voice cast that's willing to return, this should get started really soon.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 12:49 PM on Sat Nov 5 2016
@SNaG "DBZ Super dub"

??? No offense, dude, but...
SNaG
said at 4:38 PM on Sun Nov 6 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed Yeah yeah, I noticed after I wrote it, but BTVA doesn't have comment editing or deletion, so the mistake is there. :|
BlueScarabGuy
said at 4:26 PM on Sat Nov 12 2016
@SNaG Personally, while a broadcast dub would have been awesome, I get the feeling FUNimation wouldn't have done it even if they did have the license right away. Dragon Ball is literally the reason their company exists, so I get the feeling they would do a standard disc release dub so they could take as much time and money as possible to get it right.

I was recently at a panel with Colleen Clinkenbeard, and she talked about how while broadcast dubs are awesome and it's great to have dubbed versions so fast, the time restrictions can be really hectic and therefore the quality of scripts and such can suffer a little bit (though from what I've seen FUNi still does a great job with most shows). Even though I personally would trust Chris Sabat and company to get a Dragon Ball dub right immediately, I doubt FUNi would wanna take any risk with a property this important.
Shaun Ince
said at 10:39 PM on Tue Nov 22 2016
@NCZ I think FUNimation is just super particular about who they give the dubbing rights to.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 4:45 PM on Wed Nov 23 2016
@Shaun Ince FUNimation giving dubbing rights? Confused here, as they don't license anything..