NEWS - Final Fantasy XV's English Voice Cast
Reported by NCZ on Mon Aug 22 2016

In a press release, Square Enix finally revealed the English voice cast for the massively-anticipated Final Fantasy XV. Hot off the game's prologue film, Kingsglaive, here it is.

●      Ray Chase (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Killer Instinct) as Noctis
●      Adam Croasdell (Shadow of Mordor, Reign, NCIS, Once Upon a Time) as Ignis
●      Robbie Daymond (Sailor Moon, TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan) as Prompto
●      Chris Parson (Overwatch, Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, Rango) as Gladio
●      Jim Pirri (Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, The Penguins of Madagascar) as Regis
●      Amy Shiels (Twin Peaks remake, Call of Duty: Black Ops) as Luna
●      Matt Mercer (Overwatch, Resident Evil, Fallout 4) as Cor
●      Darin De Paul (Overwatch, Doom, Star Wars: The Old Republic) as Ardyn
●      Kari Wahlgren (Rick and Morty, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness) as Aranea

They have also provided a video featuring many of the voice actors discussing their roles.

Final Fantasy XV was scheduled for release on September 30th, but director Hajime Tabata recently chose to delay its launch by two months, to allow for further polish and optimization - a meaty day-1 patch that was originally planned will now have its improvements included on disc upon release.

Final Fantasy XV will now launch for Playstation 4 and Xbox One on November 29, 2016. If you really dislike the English voice acting, you will also be able to play the game in Japanese, French, and German.

Source: square-enix.com

Comments

Joey084
said at 6:12 PM on Fri Aug 26 2016
The voice acting is fantastic, and it makes me even more excited to pick up the game when it releases! One part in particular gave me goosebumps, when Ray Chase is performing the part at 5:03. Super emotional and top notch, well done.
ConfusedPhantom
said at 12:11 PM on Tue Aug 23 2016
I'm not a fan, unfortunately. The only one that feels genuine is Ardyn.

And, Regis' VA has an amazing normal voice, it's a shame he won't use it for something in this game.
said at 11:47 PM on Thu Aug 25 2016
@ConfusedPhantom

They reeaaaallly should have kept Regis's old design before they decided to age him 1000 years.

I have to agree though, the VO is fiiiiiine, but I feel like it could be a lot better. But it's mainly the direction I think is an issue. The only ones I don't really care for on the casting level are really Regis (but that wouldn't be a problem if they stuck with the superior previous design), Gladio, and Cor.
Sarifus
said at 5:57 PM on Fri Sep 2 2016
@ConfusedPhantom Yeah, Regis' old design was better, and Jim Pirri's voice is definitely wasted. Ardyn does wonderfully as he's theatrical - but it seems like this director isn't doing so well with the subtlety.
said at 1:28 PM on Mon Aug 22 2016
I have some problems with the direction. You can tell Prompto and Ignis's actors are being told to "character it up", but in the interview segments, their natural voices would have worked just fine for the roles. This doesn't seem like a Fletcher dub, unfortunately.

Well, that aside, Noctis and Ardyn are probably my favourites so far. Darin De Paul genuinely seems to enjoy his role and it just shines through. Luna sounds pretty decent.

I'm kind of meh on Cor but oh well.

Aranea being in the PR is a surprise since Kari wasn't in the video. Her English VA actually got confirmed before the Japanese one. That's a first. Kari will probably do fine; it's a different role than Ashe.

On the flipside it's kind of weird that Ravus and Iedolas's VAs are known now thanks to Kingsglaive, but weren't confirmed here.

I'm glad SE are giving the option to play in Japanese and French too. More options like that can never hurt anyone.
doodlebugfour
said at 2:16 PM on Mon Aug 22 2016
@NCZ Don't forget German. Also Aranea in Japanese kinda sounded like Miyuki Sawashiro. If that's the case then Aranea=Celty from Durarara in both Japanese and English. lol
said at 2:21 PM on Mon Aug 22 2016
@doodlebugfour

Ah, I didn't forget German, its inclusion just isn't as personally meaningful as French and Japanese to me.
Nightmare Crusher
said at 8:08 PM on Mon Aug 22 2016
@NCZ You can tell Prompto and Ignis's actors are being told to "character it up", but in the interview segments, their natural voices would have worked just fine for the roles. This doesn't seem like a Fletcher dub, unfortunately.

I think they sound perfectly fine, especially compared to Gladio. He sounds way too charactery.
said at 11:42 PM on Thu Aug 25 2016
@Nightmare Crusher

I've warmed up to Ignis a bit but I still feel Prompto's deliveries are a bit cheesy and OTT. Gladio though... I didn't pay him much attention at first, but yeah, that voice really sounds like it's being forced out.

On a side note, I like the sound of the Irish accent and I'm a bit bummed Amy Shiels doesn't get to use it for Luna.
Joey084
said at 6:16 PM on Fri Aug 26 2016
@NCZ The only issue I have with Prompto's voice is that he sounds way too much like the character he voiced in Tales of Zestiria, Sorey. It's way too similar, and I wished he changed it up a bit. I was shocked to find out he voiced Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon. O_o He does have versatility so who knows, maybe it's the direction for sure.
said at 7:09 PM on Fri Aug 26 2016
@Joey084

If it's about sounding too similar to characters they've voiced in the past that's why I'm really not crazy for Cor's English voice. I can sympathize if that's an issue with Prompto.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 2:40 PM on Fri Sep 2 2016
@NCZ "Gladio though... I didn't pay him much attention at first, but yeah, that voice really sounds like it's being forced out."

I'm sure you know this, but in most dubs, you listen to the original audio during the recording process. FFXV's no different.

I don't mean to continue that "muh Japanese castings" argument that we've had, BUT...I think there's something to be said for Gladio's seiyuu being Kenta Miyake, who is clearly cast for a rather deep, "tough guy" performance as seen in both the Japanese trailer & 90% of his previous roles.

The direction that Gladio's dub VA is given clearly seems to emulate that.

While I think the other dub VA's have pretty fitting voices, & aside from the direction I think they're pretty damn good...but what would you have liked from Gladios's dub. Something "naturally deeper", or...?
Sarifus
said at 5:54 PM on Fri Sep 2 2016
@NCZ You are correct on everything. I do think that for something with the character of XV, they should generally get people to use their natural tone - rather than these character voices. I think Jim Pirri, with his lovely natural sound, should have gone on Gladiolus or Cor. They should have gotten someone with an actually old tone for Regis. The only especially theatrical character is Ardyn, and he works great. But for the mains, they should definitely just have a more conversational sound. Get people who fit effortlessly rather than forcing into an exaggerated mold.
I look forward to checking out the French, as they're always good in my experience. Advent Children was outstanding in French, hah. I liked it more than the Japanese.
said at 4:47 AM on Sat Sep 3 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed They should have cast someone who actually has a deep/gravelly voice is the point. The original has nothing to do with that. I'm ignoring it in the evaluation. Chris Parson sounds like he's straining himself.
said at 5:33 AM on Sat Sep 3 2016
@Sarifus

Yeah, I mean, the game is "a fantasy based on reality", so I think the game calls for some VO direction that's a bit more grounded. Kind of like how XII nailed its necessary medieval sound by hiring theatrical actors.

Ardyn sounds great because his character allows him to be a bit pompous and theatrical and you can tell the actor is enjoying himself naturally, but Prompto for example, sounds like a Ninja Turtle. I don't know a single teenager who unironically talks like that.

Did Advent Children have a french dub? I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out then.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 4:43 PM on Sat Sep 3 2016
@NCZ But would you mind if Gladio had a different voice in the dub? Like Parson's more natural voice?

Also, I agree with you on Shiels's accent. I'd like it in the dub. One of the perks of dubs of Western-ish stuff is the accents. Hellsing (even the wonky old 2001 dub) feels so much more "real" with the accents.
Sarifus
said at 6:58 PM on Sat Sep 3 2016
@NCZ It does indeed! If you have trouble finding it anywhere, throw me a message! Rufus, Kadaj and Sephiroth all sound superb, I think they're my favourites.

And yeah, I'd also thought Shiels' natural accent would have been lovely on Luna. Much more personal, characteristic and unique than the standard thing.
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 5:29 PM on Wed Nov 23 2016
@doodlebugfour "If that's the case then Aranea=Celty from Durarara in both Japanese and English. lol"

Don't forget Metal Gear Rising.!