NEWS - Donald Glover Cast As Live Action Simba
Reported by Foxwolf on Fri Feb 17 2017

Director Jon Favreau has announced on Twitter that Donald Glover will play the role of Simba in Disney's live action adaptation of The Lion King.

It is unknown whether Glover will voice young or adult Simba (previously voiced in the animated movie by Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Matthew Broderick respectively). The tweet simply said "I just can’t wait to be king. #Simba"

James Earl Jones will also reprise his role as Simba's father, Mufasa.

After 2016's critically and financially successful live action Jungle Book, it was announced last year that Favreau would not only direct a sequel, but also a live action Lion King.

Glover has now seemingly found a more-than-comfortable home at Disney, with not only the role of Simba, but also the younger version of Lando Calrissian (in the Han Solo prequel movie) and also the voice of the Miles Morales Spider-Man (in the Ultimate Spider-Man series).

Source: Twitter

Comments

Autovolt
said at 8:39 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
Ok so far, despite my initial feelings be there is no need to remake The Lion King.

The cast so far is pretty solid.

Donald Glover as Simba, I think should prove to be a great casting choice. He can sing, and this would be a great way to show off his acting chops.

I think he might end up doing a better job than Matthew Broderick ever did in the role.

But then to bring back James Earl Jones as Mufasa, I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, it would have been better to cast someone new since this is a remake but....but....It's James Earl Jones, clearly they could not find someone better/more fitting than James himself for this part. I mean it's one of those voices that's hard to really beat so I can understand being like we might as well bring him back.

I'm honestly glad he's back in the role.

Now this begs the question, will there be other reprisals from the original movie or is James the only exception in this case? A part of me wants Jeremy Irons back as Scar, I kinda hope they don't cast Idris Elba as great as he is, he already was Shere Khan. He doesn't need to be both bad jungle cats.

With that said:

Young Lando Calrissian is now the son of Darth Vader, and thus the Star Wars Universe just got a bit more awesome.

Thanks Disney.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 3:37 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
Unlike everyone else who insist that I need to immediately despise this with an undying passion, I'm cautiously optimistic to see what we get. I'll wait til I see some footage, but I have no ill will toward it (for Beauty and the Beast for that matter)

...just as long as they leave Aladdin out of this (for obvious reasons)
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 6:11 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@HyperVoiceActing And what obvious reasons are those?
HyperVoiceActing
said at 7:30 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@TylerMirage - Namely Robin Williams' passing.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 8:14 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@HyperVoiceActing But why would that prevent them from remaking Aladdin?
simba31927
said at 6:12 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@HyperVoiceActing they are making a live action aladdin movie.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 7:09 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@TylerMirage - It just sort of feels wrong doing it so close to his death.

@simba31927 - I don't believe they officially announced that yet. Unless they have and I missed it.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 8:09 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@HyperVoiceActing It would feel wrong because someone involved in the cast passed away so they should wait X amount of time before attempting new media for that franchise?
HyperVoiceActing
said at 8:34 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@TylerMirage - If it were any other actor for a franchise, it wouldn't bother me as much. But since Robin's Genie made such an impact on both animation (the idea of big name actors trying voice acting) and the generation of fans who watched the movie growing up, not to mention Robin himself being an act that's near impossible to live up to (no disrespect to Dan Castalenella though), it just feels wrong to do so that soon.

Sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make too much sense
LordofEvil96
said at 8:11 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
If they're going with an all black cast like I think they're going to then I think Idris Elba, Djimon Hounsou, Lance Reddick, or Michael K. Williams should play Scar.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:51 PM on Thu Feb 23 2017
@LordofEvil96 Tony Todd or Mahershala Ali would be great, too.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:55 PM on Thu Feb 23 2017
@LordofEvil96 Or Chiwetel Ejiofor
Clare Gundersen
said at 5:25 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
Who's playing Young Simba?
The Ear of One
said at 12:02 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
exciting, hope he dont drop out of the film. and I really wanna see James Earl Jones again as Mufasa.
wonder who will play scar though? would not be suprised if it was Idris Elba.
LordofEvil96
said at 8:14 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@The Ear of One I'm thinking maybe Lance Reddick, Michael K. Williams, or Djimon Hounsou. I know I mentioned Elba previously, but now I think it'd be bizarre for Shere Khan and Scar to have the same voice.
The Ear of One
said at 1:49 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@LordofEvil96 true. but it would fit. and also its Jon Faverau again. hope they will tell soon.
either way Scar should have that evil brittish voice.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 10:51 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Donald Glover is a great choice for Simba. Surprised that they brought back JEJ for Mufasa tho; figured they'd 100% recast.
TheVengeanceKnight
said at 9:50 PM on Thu Feb 23 2017
Also I just realized, this movie stars Lando Calrissian with Darth Vader as his dad, and is directed by Pre Vizsla. :P
SpongeBat1
said at 7:57 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Jones returning still doesn't change the fact that this entire remake is unecessary.
said at 7:51 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@SpongeBat1

Is any film truly necessary?
CaptainGrumpy
said at 9:53 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@SpongeBat1 I'd like to think they're doing it to see what they can do with modern-day technology given how big and extravagant the films this decade have been

so basically if you thought Mufasa's death scene in 1994 was heartbreaking, wait until you get a load of it this time
SpongeBat1
said at 10:59 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@CaptainGrumpy I dunno, I just don't really feel they needed to make a live-action version. With stuff like The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast I can kind of understand since there were humans, but this didn't have any, so they might as well just make it fully CG rather than live-action. That, and the original is already great as it is (granted, not that that's stopped any other remakes, though).
greenman26
said at 7:19 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
After listening to some of Donald Glover/Childish Gambino other voice roles, I think he will do a good job as Simba. I'm also happy to hear that James Earl Jones will be Musfusa again.
Shaun Ince
said at 6:49 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Oh yeah.
Stare at the Sun
said at 6:17 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
You say "Live Action" its really a CGI movie.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 7:42 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
@Stare at the Sun Prescene of CGI doesn't nullify the categorization of "live-action".
The Doctor
said at 11:56 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@TylerMirage Will the movie contain even one live-actor? No. Is everything going to be shot in front of the green-screen? Probably.

Then it is not live-action.
TylerMirage (Admin)
said at 8:20 AM on Sun Feb 19 2017
@The Doctor Except that it is, in the traditional sense of the defintion. :p In fact, by your admittance that green-screens would be involved, that still implies live-action photography, be it with *actors* or not. If they have a single, tangible prop of a rock or blade of grass in front of said green-screen, if the footage they are creating is photorealistic in nature, it falls under the category of live-action. ;)

Not to mention that it doesn't nullify my original point.

But it's not even worth getting into this discussion, since the medium is blurring lines. overlapping and redefining techniques so much that entire essays have been, can and will be written about the subject. The game is changing.
GreenGoblin75
said at 5:52 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
I'm down with this. Happy to have both of them on board.
Ghosty404
said at 5:43 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Nathan Lane as Timon
Ernie Sabella as Pumba

PLEAAAAAAASE!
said at 5:39 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
This is good.

This is reaally good.
Lion's Edge
said at 11:02 AM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@NCZ TESTIFY, my brother!
skeletonking1234
said at 5:34 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
I think Glover's a great choice but I think it's really bizarre having James come back as Mufasa for a remake. If it was another character I'd be more fine with it, but if this is a remake, I think it's really weird to have the original actor come back to play the character.
HyperVoiceActing
said at 3:33 PM on Sat Feb 18 2017
@skeletonking1234 - My guess is they did it to try and pacify the throngs of butthurt fans