Lord of the Rings Voice Compares
NEWS - Dameon Clarke confirms return for DBZ Kai
Reported by Jackson_H at 8:18 PM on Tue May 24 2011

Dameon Clarke was nice enough to let us know that he will be returning as Cell in Dragon Ball Z Kai's English dub via facebook.

"Been getting a lot of inquiries as to why I'm not reprising my character
"Cell" in DBZ Kai. Well, as it turns out, I am very happy to let you know that I am reprising my role! Just thought I'd let you guys know and clear up any confusion. Hope you're having a good one guys! Tune in!"

Many assumed Travis Willingham would voice Cell in this anime adaption since he voiced the character for the past three video games (Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team).

Source: facebook.com

Latest Comments

pete
said at 4:31 PM on Tue May 31 2011
Nice to have the original back Travis is great but he's just an impersonator Dameon's the best
SM Scorx
said at 4:01 PM on Tue May 31 2011
My response to Clarke voicing Cell again is mixed. On one hand, I thought he moved on from voice acting (though he voiced Nathan Spencer in MvC3 recently) and Travis would be taking over from him, but I'm happy he has returned!
said at 4:11 PM on Tue May 31 2011
@SM Scorx MVC3 was in development for quite a while, and since voice acting is one of the first things done for the game, he probably recorded Spencer before his retirement. I guess now that Kai is out, he decided "oh, what the hey. Might as well make this my grand finale." Travis will probably remain as Cell's voice in the games.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 6:51 PM on Tue May 31 2011
@NCZ
According to his website Dameon's going to be in the Medal of Honor video game sequel, so I guess if it's in L.A. and prelay work he's not retired from voice acting. :p

Cell basically jump started his career so he most likely came back to please fans (and I'm sure he enjoys playing the character). Pay wise the character is in more than 20+ episodes so even though it's only "dubbing money" he stands to gain a profit and therefore was also worthwhile to fly out to Texas instead for just 1 or 2 video games.

He'll still be around when the Dragon Ball Z Project Age 2011 video game gets dubbed (or Raging Blast 3 as some suspect) since I doubt Funimation has finished dubbing all of Kai yet. I believe it's suppose to be released this fall so he'll probably work on that game while also working on the remaining Kai episodes that Cell is in.
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 9:02 AM on Sun May 29 2011
Once a voice actor moves on from voice acting to acting usually they never come back to the profession so its quite rare to see something like this happen..its been many years since Dameon has truly been a voice actor so lets hope he can pick things up again rather quickly in the recording booth..I have a feeling that his performance in Kai will be far greater then his performance in Z..only time will tell.
pokemastanumba1
said at 3:04 PM on Fri Aug 5 2011
@IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE And wow, just look at the time. Been quite a while, hasn't it? Anyway, Dameon's work in Kai is arguably his best one ever as a VA! You should watch all the new episodes and listen for yourself!
penguintruth
said at 1:03 PM on Sat May 28 2011
Eh, that's all right, I guess.

He's no Wakamoto, though. Wakamoto IS Cell. His presence is unmatched.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 12:00 AM on Sun May 29 2011
@penguintruth Back when Clarke first voiced Cell for the dub, though, he came closest out of any English voice actor out of capturing Wakamoto's sinister tones. His vocal performance as Cell decayed over the years though, which is why I'm worried about how he's going to sound now.
penguintruth
said at 2:11 PM on Sun May 29 2011
@Galactic_Cyrus To be fair, Wakamoto was struggling with his return to Cell a bit in Kai, so that might close the gap a little more.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 10:24 PM on Tue Oct 1 2013
@penguintruth In my mind, Wakamoto and Clarke are equal as Cell's voice. Both gave epic performances in the original show when they were younger, but their voices deepened by their performances in "Kai", even if they were also good.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 9:54 PM on Fri May 27 2011
I hope Clarke's been in practice or will be given good voice direction because his last outings as Cell in video games before he quit were nowhere near as awesome as how he used to voice him. If he gets his groove back, then Cell's gonna sound "perfect" again!
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:33 AM on Sun May 29 2011
@Galactic_Cyrus

I agree that in the video games for the later years Dameon's voice work wasn't as good.
I'm just guessing here but here's my theory.

Dameon stopped doing voice-work to focus on his film & TV career but Funimation still gets 1 or 2 Dragon Ball Z games every year to dub.

Dubbing as well all know doesn't pay THAT much so it wouldn't have been worth it to fly from L.A. to Texas and not make a profit.

I wouldn't be surprise if a sound clip was sent to him in L.A. (through email) to match. Then he records it himself using the dub clip to match the sound waves (which already match the character's mouth flaps). Then he sends the clips back to Funimation.

This is what Mike McFarland did with Kyle Hebert. Vato Falman had only a few lines in the beginning episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Kyle would end up losing money to fly out just to record a few lines.

So Mike McFarland dubbed Vato Falman's lines himself and sent the sound clip to Kyle Hebert. McFarland's sound clip matched the mouth flaps, so Kyle now just had to dub the lines himself and match the sound waves.

I guess my point is that while the work gets done, the performance is better when you're there in person to work with the voice director.

And I don't think Dameon was there in person for the later years for the video games.

But now that he is there in person I'm pretty sure he'll sound much better.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:34 AM on Sun May 29 2011
@Galactic_Cyrus
Not to mention the sound engineers kept screwing up and mismatching the imperfect cell voice with perfect cell and vice versa.
said at 9:23 AM on Sun May 29 2011
@Jackson_H That makes sense. I heard that Chris Sabat was credited as Cell for some of the games (like Tenkaichi 1). Maybe whoever did the credits didn't know what was going on.

As for each of his forms having the Imperfect voice, it's because in Japanese, each form has the same voice, so they only bothered recording one set of grunts. They recorded the Imperfect grunts for the English version, but it would have been too much effort to alter the files and data in the game, so they left it at that.

Regardless, I'm sure he'll be amazing!
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 12:57 PM on Sun May 29 2011
@Jackson_H I'm mainly referring to how Perfect Cell's voice sounded like in games like Infinite Worlds and Burst Limit. Watch the cutscenes and you'll see what I mean. He sounds like Plankton from Spongebob!
PurpleWarrior13
said at 9:00 PM on Sun May 29 2011
@NCZ My copy of "Super Dragon Ball Z" credits Chris Sabat as the voice of Cell in the guide booklet, but credits "Dartanian Nickelback" as Cell in the credits for the actual game itself. It sounded exactly like Clarke, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was Clarke working under an alias. You bring up a good point that Sabat may have done some lines for Cell for Clarke to work off of, and the folks at Atari got confused with the booklet.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 10:23 PM on Tue Oct 1 2013
@PurpleWarrior13 Old news, but the Chris Sabat thing is an error and "Dartanian Nickelback" IS a pseudonym for Clarke. Anyway, Clarke's performance in Kai didn't match up to his original performance, but at least the voice sounded good again, like it did in the "Tenkaichi" games.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 8:58 PM on Thu Oct 24 2013
@Galactic_Cyrus I personally thought it sounded better. It was quite different to say the least, he wasn't as over-the-top as his time playing the character. He was a bit quieter and reserved at times, but some of his voice sounded much more natural in some moments. Like the first time he spoke in the DBZ dub, his voice sounded so quiet and strained it was hard to hear (especially over the Bruce Faulconer music), and in Kai he was much easier to hear and he was able to emote more comfortably with his voice.

Yeah, there were a couple of weak/strained deliveries at the beginning and the final scene, but when he did it right, he did it VERY right, IMO.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 9:00 PM on Thu Oct 24 2013
@PsychicVoiceSpy *he wasn't as over-the-top as his first time playing the character *but his voice sounded much more natural in some moments

Forgive me, I'm very tired at the moment.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 9:21 PM on Thu Oct 24 2013
@PsychicVoiceSpy Dameon sound off in Perfect Cell's first two episodes in the original dub, but afterwards he sounded fantastic. I liked his Kai performance, but it just sounded deeper, throatier, and lacking the same charisma the original had.
PsychicVoiceSpy
said at 9:52 AM on Fri Oct 25 2013
@Galactic_Cyrus It was kinda like in DBZ he was doing his own thing where he was hamming it up, and in Kai he was channeling Norio Wakamoto to some degree which was a calmer performancer with a cruel, colder sound. I really like both performances and they're both awesome in their own ways, but I thought he got just a little too over the top in DBZ to take completely seriouly at times.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 9:58 AM on Sat Oct 26 2013
@PsychicVoiceSpy It's odd 'cause I thought his original Z performance was a perfect US equivalent to Norio Wakamoto's original Z performance. In the Kai Dub, it's a US version of Wakamoto's Kai performance. Both times the voice actor sounds older, deeper, and raspier than they did when they originally played the character.
PerfectSe7en
said at 12:10 AM on Thu May 26 2011
I'm really happy to hear this! Dameon Clarke was just so awesome as Cell in DBZ. He's one of the reasons Cell's my favorite villain in the entire Dragonball series. I'm sure Travis Willingham would have done great but I don't believe anyone could replace Dameon.
pokemastanumba1
said at 3:06 PM on Fri Aug 5 2011
@PerfectSe7en I know some people who could, but then again, Dameon is the original, and as it always goes, you just can't beat 'em.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:34 PM on Wed May 25 2011
Interesting that I actually predicted this might happen a while back. Started putting the smallest clues together. Guess I watched too much Case Closed/Detective Conan but it sure feels good to be right! :P
PurpleWarrior13
said at 12:37 AM on Wed May 25 2011
 1 Shout Out! [?]
This is great news! Dameon Clarke IS Cell! He could never be replaced! I'm still very bitter about Gohan and Frieza being replaced for this (especially Gohan, at least Ayres is a decent Frieza, Colleen just plain sucks as Gohan), but I'm glad to know Cell isn't on the chopping block anymore.
Galactic_Cyrus
said at 9:52 PM on Fri May 27 2011
@PurpleWarrior13 Uh...decent? Ayres is a flat-out better Freeza than Linda Young. Linda was great in her early work as the character but her voice stopped suiting the character as she kept on voicing him.

As for Gohan, I think Colleen does a better Kid Gohan than Stephanie Nadoly, who I always thought was better as Kid Goku in Dragonball.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 6:55 PM on Sat May 28 2011
@Galactic_Cyrus I like both Chambers-Young and Ayres in the role, but I always thought the former nailed the acting part of the character. Her voice wasn't always perfect, but it worked overall, especially since Frieza's an alien-like creature, but I do enjoy listening to Chris Ayres. His overall presence in the role really isn't that different from Chambers-Young's. I still feel it's the same character.

As for Gohan, I admit that I liked Stephanie more as Goku, but her Gohan was almost as good, especially for older Gohan. I liked Colleen in the beginning, but now it's gotten to the point where I cringe just listening to every single line she speaks (my little brother laughs and mocks at the voice whenever he hears it). Sure she gets some aspects of the character down, but she doesn't have to sound so fucking ANNOYING! It makes me want to slap that kid! I'm a HUGE Stephanie Nadolny fan, but even at her worst in the part, at least she made the kid seem likeable! Ugh, Colleen's Gohan voice is just plain unbearable, and the main reason why I've been doing my best recently to avoid Kai like the plague!
PurpleWarrior13
said at 9:22 PM on Sun May 29 2011
...with all due respect for Colleen of course! I love most of her work (her Luffy and Rachel are some of my favorite voice acting moments) but her take on "Kid Gokan" was just a little slipup that every voice actor has once in a while.
said at 8:27 PM on Tue May 24 2011
Awesome news! Travis was all right, but Dameon was the best as Cell!
pokemastanumba1
said at 3:00 PM on Fri Aug 5 2011
@NCZ You said it man! I've been watching every episode on Nicktoons this past summer, and I'm just loving his voice! He alone makes the anime one of the best ones there is!
LATEST FORUM DISCUSSIONS