Lord of the Rings Voice Compares
NEWS - Anime Dub Cast News
Reported by Jackson_H at 1:47 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012

This month Funimation Entertainment announced several English dub casts for upcoming anime titles to be released on home video later this year.

Shangri-La

Jad Saxton as Arnett McMillan

Liza Gonzalez as Creo Brand

Brittney Karbowski as Ingrid Bernstein

Kristi Kang as Cathy Lockharte

Leah Clark as Miyabi Kannazuki

source:

*UPDATE* Additonal info via Private Message w/ FUNimation rep Sophie @ Funimation.com

The ADR Director is Joel McDonald

source:

Source: Funimation.com

Latest Comments

Reno
said at 10:29 PM on Thu Jun 7 2012
No Robert McCollum?
This world is too cruel!
RebelUnicornSaysRAWR
said at 6:49 PM on Wed May 16 2012
Jamie Marchi as panty? THAT'S THE PART SHE WAS MADE TO DO!!!
Andy15Tran
said at 2:39 PM on Fri May 11 2012
Out of all the companies that dub Anime Funimation is the most popular of them all. Funimation Entertainment is number #1 in my opinion
Andy15Tran
said at 2:45 PM on Fri May 11 2012
@Andy15Tran My favorite anime shows they Dub are One Piece,Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball (franchise), Soul Eater, Full Metal Alchemist, Kenichi The Mightiest Discipline, Black Cat, And Kaze no Stigma. I will watch more anime dub by this company :)
SoraStar
said at 7:41 PM on Mon May 21 2012
@Andy15Tran SOUL EATER ALL THE WAY!!!
IAMTHEVASTUNIVERSE
said at 1:23 PM on Thu May 10 2012
The lack of Ed Blaylock in recent English dubs for Funimation is a bit disappointing but at least he was in Fairy Tail last year..its nice to see one of Funimation's original voice actors Kent Williams still going strong after 13 years in voice acting!I believe that he would be the perfect choice to voice Deus ex Machina from Future Dairy it would be a great counterpart to his role as Father from Brotherhood!The casting for all these dubs is pretty much standard fare for Funimation Dubs but I'm sure a majority of them will be soild dubs.I'm far more curious about the Control and Deadman Wonderland dubs that will be released later this year I'm hoping the voice cast is more diverse and interesting then the preciously announced English dubs above this message.
Jackson_H (Admin)
said at 1:36 PM on Wed May 9 2012
Funimation.com rep Sophie was very cool and told me more cast info for Freezing which I've now included.

Chiffon Fairchild: Ceelee Rose
Sister Margaret: Dusty Jacks
Kim Yumi: Carmen Smith
Elise Schmitz: Kelly McHalen
Arthur Clipton: Patrick W. Reid
Kaho Hiiragi: Alexis Tipton
Kazuha Aoi: Catherine Dubord

For those interested in the crew the ADR Director is Joel McDonald, the ADR Engineer is Kevin Leasure and the Line Producer is Colleen Clinkenbeard.

said at 12:39 AM on Thu May 3 2012
I HATEd BOTH the weak emotive quality of the English dubbing and the sub par translation.. I watched the original language Full Metal Alchemist with English subtitles by SPOON (a release group). SPOON has a masterful idiomatic grasp of japanese and english. "Fun"imation would do well to review all spoon subs! Or hire much MUCH better translators as the vast majority of dubs I have suffered hearing have been depressing at best albeit not as comical as ENGRISH (see also http://engrish.com)
OptimusSolo (Admin)
said at 1:07 AM on Thu May 3 2012
@boredwalk Please don't post the exact same message in multiple places across the website in the future.
said at 6:29 AM on Thu May 3 2012
@boredwalk I really can't speak for the dub since I've never seen it, but subbers have a tendency to embellish or exaggerate parts of the script. I'd trust Funimation's to be a lot more accurate.

Furthermore, FMA is one of their older dubs so it might not be representative of their work today. Between now and then, they've gotten new writers, actors and directors.
lordroto
said at 6:01 AM on Tue May 1 2012
Cannot wait for PSG. Outtakes ftw. Freezing looks cool as well.
Music Meister (Moderator)
said at 5:06 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
Never heard of any of these except the last even then I barely know it
Sarge Ray
said at 5:03 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
Is it me or is Funimation becoming the anime overlord as of late?
MaryKosmos
said at 5:41 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
@Sarge Ray It is. And it's been getting on my nerves ever since its horrible job on the Xenosaga dub...
said at 6:27 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
@Sarge Ray Considering that Viz doesn't do a huge amount, Bandai, Geneon, and 4Kids have all died, and New Generation Pictures seems to mostly do games now, it's pretty safe to say Funimation's one of the only anime dubbing companies alive. As great as they are, it's really quite sad to see the sorry state of anime in North America.
said at 6:27 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
@MaryKosmos In their defense, ADV dubbed Xenosaga. Funimation only licensed it.
MaryKosmos
said at 6:54 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
@NCZ Nevertheless, I can never look anime at today's anime the same way anymore... :(
PurpleWarrior13
said at 2:25 AM on Tue May 1 2012
@NCZ Actually, Sentai Filmworks has been licensing and dubbing a LOT lately. They still release some sub-only titles, but they dub probably 75% of their stuff these days (and they've also gone back and redubbed stuff that was formerly released sub-only).
lordroto
said at 5:58 AM on Tue May 1 2012
@MaryKosmos That's so terrible lol. You are going to blame the work of an entire company, because of another company's work? For the love of why? You are missing out on so many good Dubs
Fulgore2005
said at 2:00 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@NCZ does have a point. Watch Funimation's One Piece dub and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
said at 4:07 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 That's true, they are quite active. However, I don't think any of their shows air on TV, so most of their titles are pretty niche. In fact, I'd dare say that Funimation would be niche too if they didn't have DBZ, One Piece, FMA, or now Panty and Stocking.

It really does sadden me to see how aside from Naruto or Pokemon, anime seems to have fallen completely out of the mainstream in the last few years. I really do hope that this campaign to bring back Toonami is a success. That'd really be one of the best things to happen for the medium in North America right now.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 9:12 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@NCZ The biggest title Sentai has is Highschool of the Dead, and I know people in real life that know about the series. Angel Beats, K-ON!!, Grave of the Fireflys, and Clannad are also pretty big. They also have Gintama, which is one of the big anime going on right now in Japan (only, it just recently ended with close to 300 episodes). Sentai is dubbing the movie (with Chris Patton as Gintoki), and if that does well, they have confirmed that they WILL attempt to dub the series.

I do consider anime to be mainstream overall in the US... but mostly for certain series. When I ask someone what their favorite anime are, they give me the same shows (Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Trigun, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc)... stuff that was on TV here (and [adult swim] is currently showing eight series, but seven of those are just repeats of past shows). It's a shame that for every successful anime here, there comes at least a dozen flops. I think we're in a better position then we were back in say... 2008 or 2009 since more shows are getting on TV now, although Naruto Shippuden hasn't been shown on Disney XD since November.

If Toonami were to come back, it would hopefully bring back all their past shows, and hopefully show some new stuff. I hope it would be shown at hours where a young audience would be watching. We need more kids and pre-teens interested in anime. Unfortunately, if Toonami does come back (in which I'm pretty confident it will), I don't know if it will be on much earlier than midnight (like the April Fools Joke). Fortunately, the guy in charge of Toonami was recently promoted to VP of Cartoon Network, so who knows what'll happen in the future?
said at 10:42 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Some of those titles, they've only licensed. I don't think they dubbed them. That said, Gintama is pretty well-known, but not exactly on the same level as, say, DBZ.

Maybe anime is just less popular in Canada, where I live. There've been numerous times when I hear people talking about anime, and then they say, "Oh yeah, I love Avatar!" -_-
PurpleWarrior13
said at 12:37 AM on Wed May 2 2012
@NCZ Sentai has dubbed all the titles I mentioned (except for Grave of the Fireflys, but that was already dubbed under CPM). Like I said, they dub pretty much everything now, except for some uber niche titles. Sentai has been teaming up with Bang! Zoom for the second season of K-On!! (Bandai had Season 1), Persona 4, and Rozen Maiden Ouverture.

I would love for Gintama to get on [adult swim] or Toonami since ADV never really had a major TV anime hit other than Evangelion, and I think Gintama has some potential with US audiences if dubbed right.

From what I've heard, the only anime on TV in Canada is Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bakugan, and Pretty Cure (though the US has yet to get that one), so it comes to no surprise. It's a shame though. I remember hearing that Sailor Moon was really popular there when it was on, same with Dragon Ball Z.
said at 11:20 AM on Wed May 2 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Teaming up with Bang Zoom? Ah, no wonder. I assumed they didn't dub K-on because it used LA voice actors. My mistake.

Sailor Moon and DBZ were popular mostly back in their heyday, yes. Aside from Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds, Beyblade, and Bakugan, anime is more or less dead on Canadian TV. We don't even have Naruto or Bleach!
MaryKosmos
said at 10:19 PM on Fri May 4 2012
@lordroto If that is "true", name one. I can tell it's something I will never stand...

Besides, I no longer care for anime anymore because of this. As how Rose from Street Fighter says it, "HATE ME IF YOU MUST!!!". It doesn't matter because my opinions are STUPID anyway... :(
Cat_Z
said at 3:41 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
Funimation... Please hurry up with season 4 of Hetalia. And consider giving Jason Liebrecht, Sean Schemmel, Kyle Herbert, Kara Edwards, and Meredith McCoy some more roles.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 2:23 AM on Tue May 1 2012
@Cat_Z Sean no longer does any voicework for FUNimation aside from reprising his DBZ roles, and Kyle's mostly based out of California now.

I agree with Kara Edwards since she's been in a lot more stuff lately, and I would LOVE to see Meredith McCoy do some stuff, but she appears to have mostly retired, at least for now.
lordroto
said at 5:58 AM on Tue May 1 2012
@Cat_Z You know season 4 has been announced and is comming soon right?
Cat_Z
said at 10:34 PM on Sat May 5 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 What really upsets me is that around the same time FUNi was dubbing DBZ Kai, Meredith was working with them for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Colleen really only voiced #18 once before getting the role for kai.
Cat_Z
said at 10:35 PM on Sat May 5 2012
@lordroto Actually, now I do. I haven't checked up on Hetalia for a while, Ive been busy catching up with Bleach. Thank you for telling me.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 11:09 PM on Sat May 5 2012
@Cat_Z There was some strange shit going on behind the scenes of Kai. It seems Mike McFarland was more interested in getting as many actors back as possible for FMA Brotherhood than Chris Sabat was for DBZ Kai. It appears they only brought back actors who were immediately available practically on the spot (with the exception of Dameon Clark). Apparently Chris tried to get Meredith back, but who knows what happened? I believe Meredith is living in Houston now... GREAT! Why can't she get voice work at Seraphim Digital for Sentai?
Cat_Z
said at 9:56 PM on Sun May 6 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Strange. Colleen would have done a much better job for #18 if she would have stuck with imitating Meredith's voice. Even if Kai was based more from the manga and Japanese dub, #18 shouldn't sound all that girly. When they dubbed Ultimate Tenkaichi Colleen changed her voiced for #18 again. My mom wonders why I don't like her.... Meredith is one of my inspirations for becoming a VA. I can sound like #18, as well as a spot on version of Pan.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 1:38 AM on Mon May 7 2012
@Cat_Z Colleen has actually been voicing Android 18 since around 2006 when she filled in for Meredith for one video game. I honestly wish that if they couldn't get Meredith back as 18 for Kai, they would've tried somebody else out. Since Colleen was already voicing Gohan, it would've been better to use someone totally new like Stephanie Young.
Cat_Z
said at 5:22 AM on Mon May 7 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 True. There's nothing wrong with Colleen voicing the female characters that sound a bit more girly...I guess what gave a bad vibe for her is that I like the original DBZ better. Sure Kai was awesome at first, then somewhere when Goku was on Namek I stopped watching it. I never heard any of Stephane Young's work. I'll have to check that out.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 2:38 PM on Fri May 11 2012
@Cat_Z I never liked Kai. I thought it was the most pointless piece of crap to ever grace a television screen. No good or bad dub can save the weakness of the show itself.

Stephanie Young's most known roles are Nico Robin in One Piece, Claire in Claymore, and Olivier in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
said at 4:25 PM on Fri May 11 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Say what you will about Kai. It's fine if you don't like it, in fact I can definitely understand why one wouldn't. But to say it's the most pointless thing to ever air on TV is probably going too far. There's WAY worse stuff out there.
PurpleWarrior13
said at 9:05 PM on Fri May 11 2012
@NCZ I mostly just get sick of some people (but no one here) hailing it as the greatest thing to ever happen to the DB franchise (seriously!), as well as people only watching it because of it's English dub. It would've been fine if it were treated as what it was: a new cut of DBZ. But people and advertisers are treating it like a "new" series, which it's not. I just have issues with a "new" series using the exact same footage as certain series (a favorite of mine) and people still kiss it's feet. No wonder most people I know (in real life at least) believe it literally IS DBZ (well, technically it is, but you know what I mean). The whole ordeal just makes me sick. I want the real deal (DBZ) to be on TV. Not some cheap reversion done to make a quick buck. It's essentially DBZ's equivalent to the (poorly received) reversion of the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
Cat_Z
said at 6:28 PM on Sun May 20 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 Funny thing is, Funimation went and got the rights for Kai, dubbed it... throughout that whole time period, Cartoon Network had the old footage of DBZ. and now Toonami is coming back on. So all of the Kai fans can get a true taste of what DBZ is actually like. Their questions of, "Who's that?" (refering to Videl, Kid Trunks, and Goten), and "What happens to Goku?" will be answered.
Fulgore2005
said at 5:50 PM on Fri Aug 10 2012
@PurpleWarrior13 I agree with you on the people supporting Kai. Some (not all) of them always get too butthurt because some people prefer the original. I often get picked on by people who incessantly repeat their views on Kai being the better dub (particularly on Frieza's voice). It's worse that these same people treat their opinions like they are fact. But I ignore them because of how ignorant they are about their own stupidity.
mypetgoat
said at 3:13 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
Whetever happened to Jason Liebrecht? I haven't seen him get some new roles since last year.
said at 4:10 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@mypetgoat He's still pretty active. He voiced Abel in Street Fighter X Tekken recently.
mypetgoat
said at 5:54 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@NCZ I am aware of that part. What I am really asking is when is he going to be added in other animes (beside Hetalia)? I really don't want him to be added in Fairy Tail yet.
said at 6:03 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@mypetgoat I'm not sure when he'll be cast in any anime. It's worth noting that he's represented by an Austin-based agency, while Funimation and Sentai are respectively in Dallas and Houston. That's probably the main thing preventing him from being more active.
mypetgoat
said at 6:26 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@NCZ But wasn't he suppose to be Rob Lucci for One Piece?
said at 6:46 PM on Tue May 1 2012
@mypetgoat Yeah, he voiced the role for a video game I think. Has the anime gotten that far yet?
freezeframe100
said at 2:27 PM on Mon Apr 30 2012
I don't have any proof but I think there's a good possibility Bucky Pearl is Barry Yandell and Abigail Hartman is Tia Ballard.

Just putting the idea out there. If anyone else has watched a dub those two names were in (Dance in the Vampire Bund) I'd like to know your thoughts.

Vampire Bund was a controversial title so I sort of understand using an alias for that (most of the VAs did), but I have no idea why "Bucky Pearl" is used for Fractale or other shows like Darker Than Black 2.

I was actually expecting a few more alias for Freezing since it does have some heavy fanservice and titles like Sekirei had a few alias but I'm not complaining; very pleasant surprise.

Shangri-La dub: might watch

Fractale dub: might watch (heard bad things about it though; probably why sales bombed in Japan)

King of Thorn dub: might watch

Freezing dub: will DEFINITELY watch! My favorite new anime of 2011. Manga is even better, hope there's a season 2 someday.

Panty & Stocking dub: will watch, but I don't really get all the hype (guess most anime fans will drool over anything Gainax puts out)

Nice to see some newcomers in recent years getting more roles:

*Lindsay Seidel
*Jad Saxton
*Apphia Yu
*Austin Tindle
*Liza Gonzalez

Scott Freeman and Ian Sinclair seem to be cast more regularly too.

Also didn't take Caitlin Glass long to get some lead roles after her return from Spain (or wherever she went for a year or so).

Monica Rial, Luci Christian and Brina Palencia are a bit overused for my liking but that's just me...

Very happy to see Jamie Marchi getting more lead roles. I'm sure she'll be great as Panty but I'm looking forward to hearing her as Rana Linchen more (one of my favorite Freezing characters)!

I've been a fan of Jamie for a while now. Always a nice feeling that you were a fan of an actor/actress, band/musician or sports team BEFORE they become "big" instead of suddenly liking them during their prime or when they really start to soar.
penguintruth